Will there even be a Season?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Fran the Man
All Pro Elite Player

Will there even be a Season?

Post by Fran the Man »

Just like most of us, I've been hunkered down at home for the past month, rarely leaving the property, except for grocery runs every couple of weeks. One of those was today and when I started my truck, the radio was on a sports station and they were just finishing a discussion about whether the season would even be played this year. Up until I heard that, the thought really hadn't occurred to me. The more I thought about it, the more I thought it likely this could happen. Chills me to think that. What you guys think, could it happen?
Don't pick a fight with an old Viking. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Will there even be a Season?

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Fran the Man wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:21 pm Just like most of us, I've been hunkered down at home for the past month, rarely leaving the property, except for grocery runs every couple of weeks. One of those was today and when I started my truck, the radio was on a sports station and they were just finishing a discussion about whether the season would even be played this year. Up until I heard that, the thought really hadn't occurred to me. The more I thought about it, the more I thought it likely this could happen. Chills me to think that. What you guys think, could it happen?
The season is up in the air. It could start on time or it may not be played at all. I really don't think anybody knows.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

We do not know, we can not tell the future
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

I believe they’ll play this season unless the virus takes an unforeseen turn. Things are trending in the right direction and leaders are itching to reopen the economy. Plus sports are big part of American morale. I do think we may see some changes, though, like less fans in the stands. Perhaps all players are tested before game day, etc.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Very interest to see how no medicals on many players, no 40 times or 3 cones etc impacts the draft, and then no otas, maybe no preseason, etc! The nfl might have to expand rosters for the first 4 weeks of the season, or prevent poaching from practice squads, or else this might be a very bizarre draft.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

The rebellion has already begun and people are not going to put up with being locked up in their houses for much longer.

Walk around your neighborhoods this Saturday when the weather gets nice and you will see people congregating and having bbq's. Go to your stores and you will see more people than ever out shopping for more than just the essentials. Americans are fed up with being in isolation, and they will force their government officials to change their policies.

For good or bad, things will be opening up this Summer and there will be training camps and a season.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:32 am The rebellion has already begun and people are not going to put up with being locked up in their houses for much longer.

Walk around your neighborhoods this Saturday when the weather gets nice and you will see people congregating and having bbq's. Go to your stores and you will see more people than ever out shopping for more than just the essentials. Americans are fed up with being in isolation, and they will force their government officials to change their policies.

For good or bad, things will be opening up this Summer and there will be training camps and a season.
Yep. I've seen the same thing.

It's interesting. People are getting ripped for playing golf during the pandemic. Me being one of them. If the courses are open, I'm playing. I observe all the rules, but I'm playing. Here's the funny thing. Courses in some states are actually reopening after shutting down. The reason? People were playing anyway! They were saying, "To hell with this" and heading out to the links on their own. Apparently the golf courses decided they'd rather make money than watch people use their facilities for free.

If I had to bet, I'd say we'll have football. With fans.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:04 am
StumpHunter wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:32 am The rebellion has already begun and people are not going to put up with being locked up in their houses for much longer.

Yep. I've seen the same thing.

It's interesting. People are getting ripped for playing golf during the pandemic. Me being one of them. If the courses are open, I'm playing. I observe all the rules, but I'm playing. Here's the funny thing. Courses in some states are actually reopening after shutting down. The reason? People were playing anyway! They were saying, "To hell with this" and heading out to the links on their own. Apparently the golf courses decided they'd rather make money than watch people use their facilities for free.

If I had to bet, I'd say we'll have football. With fans.
Here in TX, everyone seems to be playing golf! I don't see why not, as long as people are smart and respect social distancing. We have to think about our mental, emotional, and social well-being too, after all. I wonder if the trails around the lakes and along the Mississippi are as inundated with joggers, walkers and cyclists as the ones here are.

Filling stadiums in August might be tricky though. I could imagine a season w/o fans in the stadiums, as weird as that sounds.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

First of all I wish so bad it was the end of Sept, beginning of Oct for me. I could be sitting up 18 to 25 ft ( depending on which of the countless treestands my buddy and I have in the many woods, creek lines and fence rows we hunt) practicing social distancing on the most incredible way I can think of. Even if my buddy and I were gonna hunt the same woods that hunt the closest we would be to each other would be 60 yards.
Breathing in that fresh fall air, all the deer, totes, squirrels, red foxes, rabbits, raccoons, turkey, possums, groundhogs, mink, chipmunks, red jimmies, hawks, owls and all the other different birds flying around... not a one of them having to wear a mask, or gloves or worrying about any of us couging on each other and no fear whatsoever of anything going on in the world except the prey that may be after them, for the deer, especially the Vikings fan in Predator camo melting into the tree deciding whether to give them a terminal case of Vacuum Sealer Freezer Wrapitis!!!
Whow.. sorry I'm back. Been holed up inside too much and started going to my happy place there .
About the season, been watching PFT every morning. Listening to Florio, Simms and Peter King. Really interesting some of the issues and scenerios they have been presenting. Just some crazy stuff.
Talked about playing to empty stadiums completely. Then the idea of limited attendance in the stadiums with social distancing seating. Basically like checkerboard seating. 1 person in a seat with an amount of empty seats on either side and behind and in front of, etc. Florio made the joke kinda like the searing inning Cincinnati lol.
Then they talked about teams being sequestered in hotels for the season etc. Like they said , may be ok for younger players with no family, but are men with wives, kids and pets gonna for that??
Plus, the fact that the medical community is fearing, like the flu and cold seasons, another round of this stuff hitting again in the fall.
So may question and scenarios. I just cannot imagine what it would be like to hit that magic time of the year... and NO FOOTBALL!!?????!!!
.I hope so much that it doesn't come to that. I really want to see things fonn as normal, with one exception.. The Vikings Win the Super Bowl!!
I am glad that at least I'm probably still going to be able to grab that bow and quiver of arrows and climb a tree or hunker down in a natural made ground blind.
But most if all, I want this virus to he able to be controlled, people can stop getting sick and worse if all passing away, and we can get to normal as a nation.
And I pray we take it all as a wake up call, treat each other better, prioritize what is really important in life and become stronger from all this.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Let's remember we have a no politics rule on this board. Not saying anyone has violated it but this is the type of thread that can spiral that way, so friendly reminder to keep it to football.

To stay on topic, I think I we'll have a season but whether fans will be in the seats is up in the air. Especially at capacity.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

This sort of thing happened 100 years ago when Spanish Flu was rampant, and it caused the disease to kill twice as many people than it initially did.