OBJ

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: OBJ

Post by Texas Vike »

Dakotavike wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:06 pm I, personally, am not buying into this rumor at all. Too many moving parts to make it work with the cap. Is there a way to make it happen? Sure. But in a year with a loaded WR class it just doesn’t make sense.
I was thinking about this too. Here's what I concluded: due to the strong WR group in this year's draft, it might well be that GMs are overvaluing this group of rookies on their promise and undervaluing established vets. I don't know if there's any merit to that idea, but it could be.

It would be a shame, though, if we were to acquire OBJ and then NOT draft a WR from this class.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Trade one uphappy WR (who produced better on field results last season) for an even larger diva? Makes no sense if you buy into the reasons we traded Diggs. Cap is a problem as others have mentioned. If this is true, the team's decision makers has no idea what they want to be right now.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

S197 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:22 pm A WR we can't afford, who has shown over and over again his frustration when he doesn't get the ball, paired up with a QB that either misses seeing guys open or won't pull the trigger to give them a chance.

What a disastrous trade this would be...

He'll be attacking Bailey's FG net by game 3.
Cousins would be a perfect QB match with OBJ.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:28 pm
S197 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:22 pm A WR we can't afford, who has shown over and over again his frustration when he doesn't get the ball, paired up with a QB that either misses seeing guys open or won't pull the trigger to give them a chance.

The Cousins arguments have played out time and time again on this forum to unproductive ends so I won't go there again.

I'll just say I'm not a fan of OBJ's antics. Maybe he is a great team player and he just gets heated on the sidelines. It's plausible but given the totality of it all (the contract, the draft picks, etc) I really don't think he's worth the risk.

To me, where there's smoke, most of the time there's fire and there's a trail of smoke following this guy as he goes from team to team. You don't just give up on a guy of his talent otherwise.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

S197 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:02 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:28 pm
The Cousins arguments have played out time and time again on this forum to unproductive ends so I won't go there again.

I'll just say I'm not a fan of OBJ's antics. Maybe he is a great team player and he just gets heated on the sidelines. It's plausible but given the totality of it all (the contract, the draft picks, etc) I really don't think he's worth the risk.

To me, where there's smoke, most of the time there's fire and there's a trail of smoke following this guy as he goes from team to team. You don't just give up on a guy of his talent otherwise.
Good point that it seems like the Browns would like to move on from him already.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Had two 1,000 yard WRs in 2018, 1 in 2019 and I’m sure Thielen would’ve been well on his way to 1,000 if he didn’t get hurt. Hard to believe he misses open WRs and won’t give them a chance very often. No less, ability wise, Beckham is better than both diggs and Thielen. I’m on the fence with this trade because of Beckham’s attitude. Based on pure ability, it’s a no brainer. And the last thing I’d be worried about is cousins getting Beckham the ball. No less cousins would be the best QB Beckham has ever played with. If Beckham was healthy all year, he’s easily a 1,000 yard WR along with Thielen.

Edit: just saw your post above
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

Texas Vike wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:01 pm
Dakotavike wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:06 pm I, personally, am not buying into this rumor at all. Too many moving parts to make it work with the cap. Is there a way to make it happen? Sure. But in a year with a loaded WR class it just doesn’t make sense.
I was thinking about this too. Here's what I concluded: due to the strong WR group in this year's draft, it might well be that GMs are overvaluing this group of rookies on their promise and undervaluing established vets. I don't know if there's any merit to that idea, but it could be.

It would be a shame, though, if we were to acquire OBJ and then NOT draft a WR from this class.
But wouldn't it be fun if we did?

Beckham. Thielen. Stud rookie. Bisi. Irv. Rudolph. I could deal with that!
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Major obstacles for OBJ as a Viking:
1) money
2) culture/ locker room fit
3) does our offense's scheme give him enough of a role to not bring out the bad side of OBJ? Diggs wanted more touches; why do we think we can get OBJ enough to keep him happy?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Texas Vike wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:12 am Major obstacles for OBJ as a Viking:
1) money
3) does our offense's scheme give him enough of a role to not bring out the bad side of OBJ? Diggs wanted more touches; why do we think we can get OBJ enough to keep him happy?
OBJ would absolutely get enough of a role.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:22 am
Texas Vike wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:12 am Major obstacles for OBJ as a Viking:
1) money
How? Especially given what I point out above.

Edit to add: # of targets 2019: Diggs: 94; OBJ: 133.

Do you think the Vikings would give him more targets than they gave Diggs in 2019 (w/o Thielen for a chunk)? Or do you think OBJ will be content with 94 or so targets?
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Texas Vike wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:41 am

Do you think the Vikings would give him more targets than they gave Diggs in 2019 (w/o Thielen for a chunk)? Or do you think OBJ will be content with 94 or so targets?
No, and I think for a WR as good as Diggs, waiting until he is open to throw him the ball leaves a ton untapped production. He is open before he is open, and even when covered, he is one of the best at contested catches. I have no doubt that led to his frustration.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Texas Vike your post is spot on. OBJ needs to be in a pass first offense. We are planning to run a 2TE run heavy offense and we already have one highly paid WR, why do we need another? We need to invest that $$ on the OL to give Cook space and give Cousins time to PA, NOT another WR who will demand the ball and be unhappy if he doesn't get it.
Vikings09
Rookie

Post by Vikings09 »

I think with a proven wide receiver like OBJ he will open one half of the field and give Thielen and the TEs single coverage...plus it will open up the running game...we could draft a receiver but he is not going to get respect that a proven wide receiver would...Maybe the Vikings are looking at this as a 2-3 plan to get to the super bowl
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Beckham loves going deep and that is how we used Diggs last year. Being more of a natural deep threat than Diggs Beckham would catch probably 80 passes out of 120 targets for 1200 yards and 10 TDs conservatively.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

fiestavike wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:10 pm

No, and I think for a WR as good as Diggs, waiting until he is open to throw him the ball leaves a ton untapped production. He is open before he is open, and even when covered, he is one of the best at contested catches. I have no doubt that led to his frustration.
He had over a 1000 yards. If that isn't good enough for him good riddance. Cook is a better football player than Diggs and deserved to be the focus.