Round 2 targets

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Round 2 targets

Post by Texas Vike »

I enjoyed this write up on 10 possible targets for our round 2 pick:
https://draftseason.com/10-vikings-2ndr ... t-options/

Who do you guys like in the 2nd?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Round 2 targets

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Texas Vike wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:08 am I enjoyed this write up on 10 possible targets for our round 2 pick:

In the 2nd round I would most like targets that I would draft in the first round. I am highly in favor of trading our pick 25 for an early second and early third. The possibilities would be so much better with an early second than the very late one we hold. However, if we remain at 58 Raequan Davis sounds real good. Maybe we have a shot at Shenault or Claypool. Arnette. If Ruiz were to fall that would be awesome. From the article you shared I like Cleveland, Igbinoghene, Hunt and Aiyuk.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Texas Vike wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:08 am I enjoyed this write up on 10 possible targets for our round 2 pick:

I am coming at this draft from the perspective that both the offensive and defensive lines need the most help, along with the belief that there is a lot of good talent that will be available for both lines where the Vikings pick in the first and 2nd rounds. I know that WR and CB are considered "urgent" needs this off-season, but my perspective on both positions is that both are flat classes in this draft and good WRs and corners will slide.

So I would lean towards players like Davis, Bartch, or even Solomon Kindley in the 2nd rather than a receiver or a CB.

I just believe fundamentally the team will be more competitive if the lines are better overall. Of course the skill positions are important but if the lines aren't solid they won't matter as much. If cousins doesn't have time to throw and the team can't run when they need to run, having a stud WR isn't going to matter all that much. Likewise, if the DL can't keep the opposing offense from picking up 4+ yards on 1st down runs, having a stud CB isn't going to matter all that much. To me, those were the clear weaknesses of the team last season, especially in the playoff game against the 49ers.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingLord wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:15 pm

I am coming at this draft from the perspective that both the offensive and defensive lines need the most help, along with the belief that there is a lot of good talent that will be available for both lines where the Vikings pick in the first and 2nd rounds. I know that WR and CB are considered "urgent" needs this off-season, but my perspective on both positions is that both are flat classes in this draft and good WRs and corners will slide.

So I would lean towards players like Davis, Bartch, or even Solomon Kindley in the 2nd rather than a receiver or a CB.

I just believe fundamentally the team will be more competitive if the lines are better overall. Of course the skill positions are important but if the lines aren't solid they won't matter as much. If cousins doesn't have time to throw and the team can't run when they need to run, having a stud WR isn't going to matter all that much. Likewise, if the DL can't keep the opposing offense from picking up 4+ yards on 1st down runs, having a stud CB isn't going to matter all that much. To me, those were the clear weaknesses of the team last season, especially in the playoff game against the 49ers.
I don't believe the DL need is very high. I do believe that Odenigbo is ready for a starting job. We have several prospects at the 3T and one of them should at least not suck. We do need OL help big time as both guards last year sucked and I'm not convinced Samia or Udoh are ready to step in. In a perfect world we can draft a player for guard this year that can also play tackle and take over for Reiff next year. Joshua Jones might be that guy.
With WR we have one legit NFL starter the rest of the group is questionable for even being in an NFL top 53. It seems possible that we can wait until the third round to pick one, but if somebody real good is there in the second I wouldn't wait. and I wouldn't fault us for drafting somebody REALLY GOOD in the first. For CBs we lost all three starting CBs from last year. Hughes I hope is ready to step up and can stay healthy. I think Hill is an adequate backup. I see a very big need for help there. Starting Caliber CBs look like they will all be gone by the end of the second with Robertson possibly available in the third.
I rank the need in order as OL, CB, WR, DT, DE. I would like to see us take a BPA approach, but wait on WR until the third unless somebody just too good to pass on is there. I don't want us doubling up on any position with the possible exception of OL. If we don't double up anywhere we can get one of each of these 5 positions. If we take my advice and trade back from 25 for an early 2nd early 3rd or better yet a late first late 2nd (I think it's possible) we can double up somewhere and still get a player for each of these positions in the first 3 rounds.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

If Vikings do not draft a wide receiver in the first round, I would be fine with drafting Claypool since Speilman loves Notre Dame players

Another player I would like is Neville Gallimore to play with Pierce or Motley Parnell from Sooners, it would be sweet but I am biased as a Sooners fan, haha
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:58 pm If Vikings do not draft a wide receiver in the first round, I would be fine with drafting Claypool since Speilman loves Notre Dame players

Another player I would like is Neville Gallimore to play with Pierce or Motley Parnell from Sooners, it would be sweet but I am biased as a Sooners fan, haha
I wouldn't mind us drafting Hurts in the third.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:01 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:58 pm If Vikings do not draft a wide receiver in the first round, I would be fine with drafting Claypool since Speilman loves Notre Dame players

Yeah, I want Hurts too but who is the 3rd quarterback currently or they need to fill that in? I do not think Vikings will draft Hurts since they signed Mannion but I hope to be wrong
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:06 pm
Yeah, I want Hurts too but who is the 3rd quarterback currently or they need to fill that in? I do not think Vikings will draft Hurts since they signed Mannion but I hope to be wrong
Watch this and then tell me if you still want Hurts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvDkDnCjLos
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:41 pm

I do not need to watch it since I am a Sooners fan, I still want Hurts :rock:
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:55 pm
VikingLord wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:41 pm

I went to college in Norman and while I'm a Sooner's fan I don't want him as I don't think he has potential to be an impact starter unless the Vikings want to use him similar to how the Saints use Hill. In my opinion, if they want a guy who can run and throw they should draft Lynn Bowden out of Kentucky because he can play WR and return kicks.

Past the big 3 QBs in this draft the only other guy I would be interested in at any point is James Morgan. Morgan is a classic pocket passer who has a lot of development potential if he's allowed to sit and learn behind an established starter. I don't know what his ceiling is. It might not be more than a journeyman, but of that group behind the top 3, he can probably be had in the 5-6 round and doesn't come with much risk or expectation.

How about instead of Hurts the Vikings take Gallimore and call it even? :D
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Hurts could be the next Lamar Jackson. Why not take a shot.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingLord wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:01 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:55 pm

I went to college in Norman and while I'm a Sooner's fan I don't want him as I don't think he has potential to be an impact starter unless the Vikings want to use him similar to how the Saints use Hill. In my opinion, if they want a guy who can run and throw they should draft Lynn Bowden out of Kentucky because he can play WR and return kicks.

Past the big 3 QBs in this draft the only other guy I would be interested in at any point is James Morgan. Morgan is a classic pocket passer who has a lot of development potential if he's allowed to sit and learn behind an established starter. I don't know what his ceiling is. It might not be more than a journeyman, but of that group behind the top 3, he can probably be had in the 5-6 round and doesn't come with much risk or expectation.

How about instead of Hurts the Vikings take Gallimore and call it even? :D
Would Gallimore be better than what we already have? I think he's considered a late 2nd early 3rd draft prospect. Probably not available at 105 which is where I'm considering Hurts. Maybe 89. As far as Morgan goes he is an interesting prospect outside of the top 5 QBs ranked in this years draft. I would have no problem with a 5th round pick for him.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:03 pm

If Hurts was more accurate and processed the field better he might be, but unfortunately I don't see him doing either very well. He is athletic, but the resemblance to Jackson stops there, and I think the team needs more out of a QB than the ability to run when under pressure.

I think it is also important to remember that Lamar Jackson is a very unique QB. Most of the best QBs are good at understanding defensive alignments pre-snap, process the field well post-snap, show good anticipation in their throw timing, and are accurate when they do throw. The best ones are also good at escaping pressure not by tucking the ball and taking off, but by making small adjustments and subtle moves that buy them the extra time needed to make throws downfield. Almost every one of the great QBs escapes pressure in order to throw and not to run.

I personally think Jackson will come back to earth a bit. He's a dynamic runner, but the fact remains he's not a running back, and the more he runs coupled with the way he runs (running to create big plays with his feet and not just pick up yards and give himself up at the end to avoid the hit), the more likely he's going to take some big hits. In time those will affect his game. Plus, defensive coordinators will get dialed into ways to deal with his penchant for running. Defensive players will get better at detecting when he's likely to run and as they get more attuned to that he's going to find the going more difficult.

Hurts would be even more limited in that he's not a great passer or processor. He's going to be more likely to take off and easier to defend as a result. I don't think he has a future as an NFL starter.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:08 pm Would Gallimore be better than what we already have? I think he's considered a late 2nd early 3rd draft prospect. Probably not available at 105 which is where I'm considering Hurts. Maybe 89. As far as Morgan goes he is an interesting prospect outside of the top 5 QBs ranked in this years draft. I would have no problem with a 5th round pick for him.
Here is what WalterFootball https://www.walterfootball.com/draft2020DT.php says about him:
Team sources say Gallimore is an athletic tackle with some twitch. He is a penetrating disruptor who would fit best in a 4-3 as a three-technique who could also play some nose tackle. Some evaluators have compared Gallimore to former Buccaneer Booger McFarland or current Falcons defensive tackle Grady Jarrett. They say teams would want more pass-rush ability out of Gallimore to become an every-down starter in the NFL, so they see him more as a second-day prospect in the 2020 NFL Draft.
If you watch his college highlights, he is exactly that. He is very athletic and if he gets good coaching he could be a very disruptive interior presence and a playmaker in the middle of the defensive line.

I don't expect Gallimore to last past the Vikings 2nd rounder. I wouldn't be upset if Spielman took him at #25.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingLord wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:15 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:03 pm
If Hurts was more accurate and processed the field better he might be, but unfortunately I don't see him doing either very well. He is athletic, but the resemblance to Jackson stops there, and I think the team needs more out of a QB than the ability to run when under pressure.

I think it is also important to remember that Lamar Jackson is a very unique QB. Most of the best QBs are good at understanding defensive alignments pre-snap, process the field well post-snap, show good anticipation in their throw timing, and are accurate when they do throw. The best ones are also good at escaping pressure not by tucking the ball and taking off, but by making small adjustments and subtle moves that buy them the extra time needed to make throws downfield. Almost every one of the great QBs escapes pressure in order to throw and not to run.

I personally think Jackson will come back to earth a bit. He's a dynamic runner, but the fact remains he's not a running back, and the more he runs coupled with the way he runs (running to create big plays with his feet and not just pick up yards and give himself up at the end to avoid the hit), the more likely he's going to take some big hits. In time those will affect his game. Plus, defensive coordinators will get dialed into ways to deal with his penchant for running. Defensive players will get better at detecting when he's likely to run and as they get more attuned to that he's going to find the going more difficult.

Hurts would be even more limited in that he's not a great passer or processor. He's going to be more likely to take off and easier to defend as a result. I don't think he has a future as an NFL starter.
Jackson's rookie year in the NFL he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his passes. I think Hurts is worth a shot. He managed to get the ball to CeeDee Lamb.