WRs in Draft

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: WRs in Draft

Post by VikingsVictorious »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:04 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:33 pm

Not sure I agree on either point. My understanding is there are 4 elite O linemen. I could see one lasting till 13. For the WRs, in my estimation Jeudy and Lamb are a considerable step up from the rest of the field. If either were to fall to 13,I could imagine them making a move up for him, if they their evaluations are similar to mine.

I could also imagine them wanting to move up a bit (to 17 or 19) in order to grab Mims or Jefferson. The Eagles (@21) are almost certain to take a WR, so if we have our eye on someone, we may try to get ahead of them.
I don't think we'd have to move up to take Mims. Jefferson might be iffy.
I think we could get Mims at pick 25 and because Jefferson is a slot receiver Mims or Reagor might be better for us anyway.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

I have been completely torn on the WRs in this draft, but after going somewhat in depth my rankings are

#1 Jeudy
#2 Lamb

#3 Ruggs
#4 Mims

# 5 Jefferson, but #6 for the Vikings due to his being a slot receiver making him and Thielen not coexist too well.
#6 Reagor #5 for the Vikings
#7 Aiyuk
#8 Pittman
#9 Claypool
#10 Shenault

I'm really hoping we get one of the top 7 and add Tyler Johnson Later. I don't think we can get one of those at pick 58 and pick 25 is too early for Jefferson, Reagor, and Aiyuk IMO. So a trade back or trade up may need to happen.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:16 pm I have been completely torn on the WRs in this draft, but after going somewhat in depth my rankings are

#1 Jeudy
#2 Lamb

#3 Ruggs
#4 Mims

# 5 Jefferson, but #6 for the Vikings due to his being a slot receiver making him and Thielen not coexist too well.
#7 Aiyuk
#8 Pittman
#9 Claypool
#10 Shenault

I'm really hoping we get one of the top 7 and add Tyler Johnson Later. I don't think we can get one of those at pick 58 and pick 25 is too early for Jefferson, Reagor, and Aiyuk IMO. So a trade back or trade up may need to happen.
You and I see the WRs very similarly. What do you make of Tee Higgins? Previously, he was universally seen as the #4 prospect, but lately he's probably the WR who has dropped the most in fans' and prognosticators' eyes. I don't think he'll transition well to the NFL due to his lack of speed, upper-body strength, and limited tree routes. He was productive at Clemson and wins 50-50 balls easily, but it's hard NOT to see another Treadwell in him. He also greatly benefited from Trevor Lawrence.

The other two prospects that I suspect might get drafted at surprising places are Ruggs and Shenault. I suspect Ruggs might be over-valued by fans due to his combine 40 time. His production really wasn't that great, even with Tua throwing him the ball and the benefits of the talent at Alabama. Shenault's 40 time was bad (4.58), but likely lower than it should have been due to his ab injury (which he had surgery on). I'm a bit concerned about his injury history (also has had shoulder and toe injuries), but the guy's tape is undeniably impressive. I know folks have seen him as CP84 2.0, but I think Shenault is different. I don't know what to think of the wonderlic as a measure of prospect's "cognitive abilities", but CP's was an 11, which was a bit of a red flag in the day. For the record, both Tee Higgins (11) and Jerry Jeudy (9) did poorly on the wonderlic. Shenault got a 14.
https://www.fanduel.com/theduel/posts/n ... e61pseacfz
Last edited by Texas Vike on Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Texas Vike wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:46 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:16 pm I have been completely torn on the WRs in this draft, but after going somewhat in depth my rankings are

#1 Jeudy
#2 Lamb

#3 Ruggs
#4 Mims

#7 Aiyuk
#8 Pittman
#9 Claypool
#10 Shenault

You and I see the WRs very similarly. What do you make of Tee Higgins? Previously, he was universally seen as the #4 prospect, but lately he's probably the WR who has dropped the most in fans' and prognosticators' eyes. I don't think he'll transition well to the NFL due to his lack of speed, upper-body strength, and limited tree routes. He was productive at Clemson and wins 50-50 balls easily, but it's hard NOT to see another Treadwell in him. He also greatly benefited from Trevor Lawrence.

The other to prospects that I suspect might get drafted at surprising places are Ruggs and Shenault. I suspect Ruggs might be over-valued by fans due to his combine 40 time. His production really wasn't that great, even with Tua throwing him the ball and the benefits of the talent at Alabama. Shenault's 40 time was bad (4.58), but likely lower than it should have been due to his ab injury (which he had surgery on). I'm a bit concerned about his injury history (also has had shoulder and toe injuries), but the guy's tape is undeniably impressive. I know folks have seen him as CP84 2.0, but I think Shenault is different. I don't know what to think of the wonderlic as a measure of prospect's "cognitive abilities", but CP's was an 11, which was a bit of a red flag in the day. For the record, both Tee Higgins (11) and Jerry Jeudy (9) did poorly on the wonderlic. Shenault got a 14.
A note on Ruggs.

NFL scouts see him and believe they’re looking at the next Tyreek Hill.

Hill is the obvious comp for Ruggs, who has the same start-stop ability and dangerous RAC skills as Hill. Oh, and that speed, which can’t be taught. In Ruggs’ defense, his production likely was lowered because he played across the field from Jerry Jeudy, and because Alabama was involved in a lot of blowouts.

I don’t know if I would make him a top-3 WR in this draft, but I’m someone who naturally shies away from small receivers. I do see the attraction, however. Ruggs is truly explosive.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

#1 Jeudy
#2 Lamb

#3 Ruggs
#4 Mims

#7 Aiyuk
#8 Pittman
#9 Claypool
#10 Shenault

The other to prospects that I suspect might get drafted at surprising places are Ruggs and Shenault. I suspect Ruggs might be over-valued by fans due to his combine 40 time. His production really wasn't that great, even with Tua throwing him the ball and the benefits of the talent at Alabama. Shenault's 40 time was bad (4.58), but likely lower than it should have been due to his ab injury (which he had surgery on). I'm a bit concerned about his injury history (also has had shoulder and toe injuries), but the guy's tape is undeniably impressive. I know folks have seen him as CP84 2.0, but I think Shenault is different. I don't know what to think of the wonderlic as a measure of prospect's "cognitive abilities", but CP's was an 11, which was a bit of a red flag in the day. For the record, both Tee Higgins (11) and Jerry Jeudy (9) did poorly on the wonderlic. Shenault got a 14.
I don't like Higgins much, but I shouldn't have ignored him. I would probably have him as the very next WR at 11 followed by Hamler and Edwards. He isn't treadwell, but has similarities that make me want to stay away.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:38 pm

I don't like Higgins much, but I shouldn't have ignored him. I would probably have him as the very next WR at 11 followed by Hamler and Edwards. He isn't treadwell, but has similarities that make me want to stay away.
I like Van Jefferson too. What's your take on him?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

fiestavike wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:43 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:38 pm
I watched film on him and he runs good routes. He is not athletic at all and IMO his good routes won't be good enough in the NFL. I think his best receiving production of his college career was under 700 yards. I think Van Jefferson will go in the 4th round, but I wouldn't be willing to pick him until at least the 5th.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:00 pm
fiestavike wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:43 pm

I watched film on him and he runs good routes. He is not athletic at all and IMO his good routes won't be good enough in the NFL. I think his best receiving production of his college career was under 700 yards. I think Van Jefferson will go in the 4th round, but I wouldn't be willing to pick him until at least the 5th.
Highly recommend this write up on him:
https://climbingthepocket.com/2020/04/2 ... a-vikings/
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Texas Vike wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:27 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:00 pm
Just read the report. Most of what they like about him is the route running and football IQ stuff. He's 2 years or more older than the other players in the draft. He should be better than them in these areas. I'm sticking with my 5th round grade.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:21 pm

Just read the report. Most of what they like about him is the route running and football IQ stuff. He's 2 years or more older than the other players in the draft. He should be better than them in these areas. I'm sticking with my 5th round grade.
5th sounds about right. I'd like a fast guy in say round 2 or 3 too. We need several irons in the fire.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I'd happily take him in the 5th!
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

fiestavike wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:47 pm
I'd happily take him in the 5th!
Probably be gone because some NFL GMs like him more than I do.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:29 pm From what I've read, I think the most likely WRs the Vikings draft in round 1 would be Justin Jefferson or Laviska Shenault for the reasons Daniel Jeremiah mentions in his analysis of the two, specifically with these sentences...

Justin Jefferson:
He lines up in the slot and out wide. He is an outstanding route runner.
Thielen, Irv and Bisi to a lesser extent are all versatile. As was Diggs, so replacing Diggs with someone that can line up anywhere as well as run polished routes is a guy who can contribute day 1 and fit right in, allowing Kubiak to keep the same flow of the offense. Plug-and-play, essentially.

On Laviska:
Shenault isn't a nuanced route runner, but he is a monster with the ball in his hands. He excels on quick hitters, fly sweeps and vertical routes.
...he can have an immediate impact for a creative offensive coordinator. He's too big, strong and fast to not contribute.
I am more familiar with Laviska, being that I'm in pac-12 territory and I believe he can have a Percy-like impact and provide another dangerous weapon to the offense who can line up anywhere on the field.

These 2 can be impact guys right away without having to trade draft capital to potentially move up for guys like Lamb or Juedy. I'd be less worried about Jefferson and though I really like Shenault, there's always a chance he's more like Cordarrelle Patterson than Percy. Potential is there though and Minnesota needs someone who can come out of the gates and produce.

Link:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ankings-40
Boom.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

PacificNorseWest wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:00 pm
PacificNorseWest wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:29 pm From what I've read, I think the most likely WRs the Vikings draft in round 1 would be Justin Jefferson or Laviska Shenault for the reasons Daniel Jeremiah mentions in his analysis of the two, specifically with these sentences...

Justin Jefferson:

Thielen, Irv and Bisi to a lesser extent are all versatile. As was Diggs, so replacing Diggs with someone that can line up anywhere as well as run polished routes is a guy who can contribute day 1 and fit right in, allowing Kubiak to keep the same flow of the offense. Plug-and-play, essentially.

On Laviska:

I am more familiar with Laviska, being that I'm in pac-12 territory and I believe he can have a Percy-like impact and provide another dangerous weapon to the offense who can line up anywhere on the field.

These 2 can be impact guys right away without having to trade draft capital to potentially move up for guys like Lamb or Juedy. I'd be less worried about Jefferson and though I really like Shenault, there's always a chance he's more like Cordarrelle Patterson than Percy. Potential is there though and Minnesota needs someone who can come out of the gates and produce.

Link:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ankings-40
Boom.
I'm fine with Jefferson, but he doesn't line up outside.That is incorrect.He is a pure slot. They tried him at outside last year and he really struggled. He could be a product of the system.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

He's the only WR that I didn't really care for in the draft. I think he is a talent but he might have some bust potential for a 1st rounder. He doesn't separate enough for me. I think he will be a capable WR but not a star.