PHP's Final 2020 Mock Offseason

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: PHP's Final 2020 Mock Offseason

Post by VikingsVictorious »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:15 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:55 pm Who is actually better? Jackson or Bartch? Elliott that late is a gift. Don't look it in the mouth.
That's hard to say. Here are the https://www.walterfootball.com/draft2020OG.php takes on both:
Ben Bartch, G, St. John's
Height: 6-5. Weight: 308. Arm: 33. Hand: 9.13.

The Senior Bowl has done a great job of identifying small-school offensive linemen who have the skill sets to play in the NFL and giving them an opportunity to show they can compete with the better competition of Power Five football players. Bartch kept that tradition alive, as he competed well in Mobile. Bartch has good size, and showed that he could hold his own against the speed, size and athleticism of the all-star defensive linemen. The Senior Bowl definitely helped Bartch, and he looks like he has the potential to start out his NFL career as a backup before working his way into becoming a starter.
Jonah Jackson, G, Ohio State
Height: 6-3. Weight: 306. Arm: 32.88. Hand:10.

Jackson was decent for Ohio State in 2019, although he had some penalty issues against Cincinnati. Team sources are lukewarm on him and all of the Ohio State offensive linemen for the NFL. Jackson did not impress at the Senior Bowl and showed that he has very short arms.

Jackson is a Rutgers transfer who should help an Ohio State line that lost a lot of experience to the 2019 NFL Draft. Jackson received some Big Ten honors before deciding to transfer for his senior year. Jackson played mostly guard at Rutgers but also took some snaps at center. That versatility and experience could help him to rise as a senior.
That site has Bartch ranked as the 7th best guard prospect, and Jackson as the 12th best (out of 25 total guard prospects).

Bartch played at a small school and didn't get the national exposure that Jackson has gotten playing for Ohio State, so he's kind of flown under the radar, but it sounds like he stepped up at the Senior Bowl, while Jackson regressed a bit. Of the two, I'd say Bartch has the higher ceiling as well provided he gets good coaching, which I think the Vikings could give him. Of course, it's impossible to say which will be a better pro, but I get the sense that Bartch is going to develop into a Matt Birk-like pro. It might not happen right away, but give it a season or two and I think he's a reliable, maybe even impact, starter.

I'll take your word on Elliot. :-)
Thanks for the reports. You're convincing me that Bartch is the better of the two.