Vikings Sign WR- Tajae Sharpe

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Vikings Sign WR- Tajae Sharpe

Post by VikingsVictorious »

YikesVikes wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:29 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:12 pm
If he gets 800 yards this season I will praise your judgment. If he doesn't I will do the opposite. :shock:
The ability to do something and actually doing it are two different things.
True, but you said easily. :lol:
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Seems like a similar signing to the kid we picked up from Denver who never ended up doing anything. Can’t even remember his name but he was the #3 on the depth chart for a while. This isn’t a make or break signing, hopefully he carves out a role.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

S197 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:06 am Seems like a similar signing to the kid we picked up from Denver who never ended up doing anything. Can’t even remember his name but he was the #3 on the depth chart for a while. This isn’t a make or break signing, hopefully he carves out a role.
Jordan Taylor. And no I don’t see this as anything close to that simply because sharpe has actually had production in this league with bad QBs. Taylor has just done nothing in general. He was just a guy with all the physical tools that seemed to have upside if he put it all together. He just never did
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:43 am
S197 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:06 am Seems like a similar signing to the kid we picked up from Denver who never ended up doing anything. Can’t even remember his name but he was the #3 on the depth chart for a while. This isn’t a make or break signing, hopefully he carves out a role.
Jordan Taylor. And no I don’t see this as anything close to that simply because sharpe has actually had production in this league with bad QBs. Taylor has just done nothing in general. He was just a guy with all the physical tools that seemed to have upside if he put it all together. He just never did
He came pretty cheap. I'm over it. I will trust the Vikings have a clue about his talent.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Yeah I mean similar receivers in terms of size and role (#3 WR). Hopefully Sharpe pans out.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:16 am

He came pretty cheap. I'm over it. I will trust the Vikings have a clue about his talent.
Think of him as a 7th round draft pick...better yet a rookie FA.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

I am willing to look at it as an inexpensive opportunity that may very well pay off. The kid has the size and has shown the ability to be a decent route runner, but most importantly be able to nav some contested balls.
He was limited for a while with the foot injury, and he was the victim of some pretty questionable, if not poor QB play.
Sometimes a change of scenery, another opportunity to prove yourself, AND getting to play with a better and more accurate QB can definitely be a difference maker. And PLEASE, those who are the Cousins haters don't reply using that last comment as an opportunity to flame him and me for saying it. I already know your feelings, so no need to Express them again.
I am just saying that the kid dies have some potential that maybe hasn't been tapped into and he has been able to fully display.
Maybe the new opportunity to play with what I see is a better QB, and the chance to play with some talented pieces around him, well, he may suprise us all and really become a solid player and a great return on a realistically pretty small investment.
I've seen it before, guys kinda kicked aside being places in the right situation and turning it into a very solid opportunity.
I hope this is the case here. And I am willing to give it a chance before I just assume it's a bad move. Hopefully we will see some great production and later view it as a great pickup.
Worth having a little optimism over for me.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

fiestavike wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:14 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:16 am
Would those players get $655K in guaranteed money. That is my only gripe. As long as Tajae makes the team based on merit not guaranteed money there is no downside. My best guess is Tajae will be the 5th best WR on the team after we add two in the draft Justin Jefferson and Chase Claypool :rock: :banana: :appl: .
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:22 am
fiestavike wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:14 am

Would those players get $655K in guaranteed money. That is my only gripe. As long as Tajae makes the team based on merit not guaranteed money there is no downside. My best guess is Tajae will be the 5th best WR on the team after we add two in the draft Justin Jefferson and Chase Claypool :rock: :banana: :appl: .
It doesn't much matter on a 1 year deal as far as cap goes. It only matters to Sharpe and his agent. I wouldn't get bent out of shape about his 655K guaranteed.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

It looks like his Catch % (71%) was WAY higher under Tannehill last year than under Mariota in his first 2 years. But his targets (35) were down and overall production (329 yards) was about the same. Does anyone know why? I seem to remember a breakout WR on Tennessee last year, so did Sharpe get pushed down on the depth chart? If so, it must have been frustrating to finally have a competent QB only to find yourself lower on the Depth chart
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:58 am It looks like his Catch % (71%) was WAY higher under Tannehill last year than under Mariota in his first 2 years. But his targets (35) were down and overall production (329 yards) was about the same. Does anyone know why? I seem to remember a breakout WR on Tennessee last year, so did Sharpe get pushed down on the depth chart? If so, it must have been frustrating to finally have a competent QB only to find yourself lower on the Depth chart
I'm betting he took less than he might have to get a chance to compete for the #2wr spot with the Vikings. We've got a void that is going to lead to a lot of production for whoever can fill it, and that's going to mean a lot of $. Of course, he's at a disadvantage, because the Vikings would rather seea draft pick or Bisi Johnson, or someone they have under contract for a couple more years emerge to be that guy.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingPaul73 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:58 am It looks like his Catch % (71%) was WAY higher under Tannehill last year than under Mariota in his first 2 years. But his targets (35) were down and overall production (329 yards) was about the same. Does anyone know why? I seem to remember a breakout WR on Tennessee last year, so did Sharpe get pushed down on the depth chart? If so, it must have been frustrating to finally have a competent QB only to find yourself lower on the Depth chart
Rookie WR AJ Brown was very good for them.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

fiestavike wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:28 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:22 am
It doesn't much matter on a 1 year deal as far as cap goes. It only matters to Sharpe and his agent. I wouldn't get bent out of shape about his 655K guaranteed.
I'm not at all bent out of shape over it. Just pointing out the guarantee is the only downside to the signing.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Yeah he got pushed down the depth chart by AJ and Humphries. The Titans are also a run heavy team with Henry.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Thanks all. Seems like a very reasonable addition to me. Hopefully he can contribute next year