The Draft Man Crush Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: The Draft Man Crush Thread

Post by VikingsVictorious » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:45 pm

RandyMoss84 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:59 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:48 am

I'm curious as to why you think that.
Because players from Baylor did not go on to have a good or great career in the NFL except for Singletary from Bears so I am just skeptical on drafting Baylor players but if Vikings do draft Mims, I really hope he will prove me wrong
I never get the thinking that since some players drafted from a particular school weren't good it's an indication that the next player drafted from that school won't be good. Each player from whatever school should stand on his own merit.
0 x

RandyMoss84
Starter

Post by RandyMoss84 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:55 pm

VikingsVictorious wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:45 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote:

Because players from Baylor did not go on to have a good or great career in the NFL except for Singletary from Bears so I am just skeptical on drafting Baylor players but if Vikings do draft Mims, I really hope he will prove me wrong
I never get the thinking that since some players drafted from a particular school weren't good it's an indication that the next player drafted from that school won't be good. Each player from whatever school should stand on his own merit.
You make a good point
1 x

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:01 pm

VikingsVictorious wrote:
RandyMoss84 wrote:

Sometimes the system has an impact on that. If you turn it around, there are clearly schools who consistently turn out good prospects, especially at certain positions. Think Iowa, Wisconsin, Ohio State when it comes to Offensive Linemen. Similarly, there are schools who play styles of ball that don't translate well, where the WRs don't learn much of the foundational stuff they'll need in an NFL offense, etc.
0 x

VikingsVictorious
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by VikingsVictorious » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:07 pm

fiestavike wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:01 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote:

Sometimes the system has an impact on that. If you turn it around, there are clearly schools who consistently turn out good prospects, especially at certain positions. Think Iowa, Wisconsin, Ohio State when it comes to Offensive Linemen. Similarly, there are schools who play styles of ball that don't translate well, where the WRs don't learn much of the foundational stuff they'll need in an NFL offense, etc.
That is true, but I don't make the drafting decision based on the school that player went to. I make it on the skills the player does and doesn't have.
0 x

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:12 pm

VikingsVictorious wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:07 pm
fiestavike wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:01 pm

That is true, but I don't make the drafting decision based on the school that player went to. I make it on the skills the player does and doesn't have.
I think its just something to take into consideration, especially with regard to the time it takes players from some programs to develop, but it isn't the end all be all, and its silly to let it be the only thing you take into consideration in evaluating a player.
1 x

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:07 pm

VikingsVictorious wrote:
RandyMoss84 wrote:

Yeah not only Baylor but Oregon is another one. It’s almost like they produce better athletes than they do nfl players.
0 x
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:57 pm

RandyMoss84 wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:48 am

I'm curious as to why you think that.
It would be easy to be critical of your assessment, but I have to be honest. I can't.

I looked at the full list of Baylor alum to play in the NFL (at profootballreference.com). It's uncanny. There's hardly a name that has done much of anything. And very few outside of Singletary and RGIII are names that most football fans would even recognize.

Boy, Mims' college tape looks good, but you have a point. Nice observation. Now I don't know what to think!
1 x
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

RandyMoss84
Starter

Post by RandyMoss84 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:58 pm

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:57 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote:

It would be easy to be critical of your assessment, but I have to be honest. I can't.

I looked at the full list of Baylor alum to play in the NFL (at profootballreference.com). It's uncanny. There's hardly a name that has done much of anything. And very few outside of Singletary and RGIII are names that most football fans would even recognize.

Boy, Mims' college tape looks good, but you have a point. Nice observation. Now I don't know what to think!
Thank you, that is why I am skeptical of drafting Baylor players but if Vikings draft Mims, he will have my full support and I will be rooting for Mims to have a good/great career with our Vikings
0 x

VikingsVictorious
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by VikingsVictorious » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:56 am

RandyMoss84 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:58 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:57 pm

Thank you, that is why I am skeptical of drafting Baylor players but if Vikings draft Mims, he will have my full support and I will be rooting for Mims to have a good/great career with our Vikings
It doesn't matter if the last 100 players drafted from Baylor all suck. Are any of those players Mims? No! Mims isn't them and they aren't him.
1 x

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:46 am

VikingsVictorious wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:56 am
RandyMoss84 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:58 pm

It doesn't matter if the last 100 players drafted from Baylor all suck. Are any of those players Mims? No! Mims isn't them and they aren't him.
Unless you can explain why Baylor players haven't done well, then I agree with you VV. I personally don't know enough about Baylor to have any idea.
0 x

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:59 am

fiestavike wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:46 am
VikingsVictorious wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:56 am

Unless you can explain why Baylor players haven't done well, then I agree with you VV. I personally don't know enough about Baylor to have any idea.
There are plenty that haven’t translated well to the nfl
0 x
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri

VikingsVictorious
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by VikingsVictorious » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:34 am

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:59 am
fiestavike wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:46 am

Were any of them that didn't translate well to the NFL Mims?
0 x

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:39 am

VikingsVictorious wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:34 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:59 am

Were any of them that didn't translate well to the NFL Mims?
Again, need to know the WHY or it doesn't matter. Even then, its not gospel. Wasn't part of the reason Rogers slipped because he was a Jeff Tedford QB, and those guys didn't have much success in the NFL?
0 x

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Texas Vike » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:04 pm

Great thread on the top WR prospects:
https://www.rotoworld.com/article/evalu ... ngs?page=0

Regarding: Reagor
Only 31% of the passes Reagor saw last season were "on target", per PFF – by far the lowest percentage among the top receiver prospects in this class. Justin Jefferson had 69%, Laviska Shenault 62%, Jerry Jeudy 60% and CeeDee Lamb 59%. Such a tragedy! This guy is utter magic with the ball in his hands.

Reagor tested fine, but his NFL Combine didn’t do his athleticism justice. As one example, he turned in a 4.47 forty after he’d been clocked by TCU coaches at 4.29. Turn on the tape: He’s a 4.3 guy.

More than just a burner, Reagor is a flashy sports car of an athlete, explosive and sleek. When the quarterback play is right, he wins all the over field. His movements are so sudden, and they come at such high speeds, that the feet of defensive backs sometimes get confused. Reagor’s been practicing social distancing from Big 12 corners since he arrived in Fort Worth.

Reagor is a victim of circumstance. The school he chose just so happened to go through a spat of rough quarterback play at the end of his career. And once he set off for the NFL, he found himself in one of the most loaded receiver classes of all-time. I think all of that could conspire to make Reagor available at a discount in April. He’s a unique weapon with a game that’ll play up at the next level when he unites with a quarterback that can hit him on the hands.
I agree that he's a 4.3 guy. The stats related to his QB having 31% on target rate is very illustrative of why his talent wasn't allowed to blossom this past season.
2 x

VikingsVictorious
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by VikingsVictorious » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:31 am

The more I think about this draft I'm convinced that our best somewhat realistic option at pick #22 is Javon Kinlaw. Adding him and Pierce with Hunter and a rapidly rising Odenigbo would make our D line one of if not the most dominant in the league. Football is won in the trenches.
0 x