Looks like Griff is gone

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Looks like Griff is gone

Post by halfgiz » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:21 pm

Just announced on his Instagram account he is leaving the Vikings and thanked the fans. No announcement on where he has signed as of yet.
0 x

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Looks like Griff is gone

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:28 pm

halfgiz wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:21 pm
Just announced on his Instagram account he is leaving the Vikings and thanked the fans. No announcement on where he has signed as of yet.
Yeah this one sucks. Didn’t want to see him go. And he hasn’t signed anywhere yet. Heard he could be waiting for Clowney to sign
0 x
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:34 pm

Ya know the more I thought about it, for everyone that wants to say Cousins’ contract is the problem and that’s why we’re in cap hell, that’s not the case. He’s making $21 million this year. Teddy bridgewater is getting more than that from Carolina in 2021 and 2022. $21 million a year is actually a pretty good bargain for someone of cousins caliber. It’s just we have so much money tied up in others as well that we are strapped. But this also goes to show how well Spielman has drafted given we’re giving big contracts to guys we draft but also having to let some walk in free agency.
1 x
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri

halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:58 pm

Zimmer & Slick Rick created the problem, they will figure it out.
0 x

RandyMoss84
Veteran

Post by RandyMoss84 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:24 pm

That sucks!! He will be missed! Thank you Everson for the memories!
0 x

StumpHunter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by StumpHunter » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:52 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:34 pm
Ya know the more I thought about it, for everyone that wants to say Cousins’ contract is the problem and that’s why we’re in cap hell, that’s not the case. He’s making $21 million this year. Teddy bridgewater is getting more than that from Carolina in 2021 and 2022. $21 million a year is actually a pretty good bargain for someone of cousins caliber. It’s just we have so much money tied up in others as well that we are strapped. But this also goes to show how well Spielman has drafted given we’re giving big contracts to guys we draft but also having to let some walk in free agency.
Cap space isn't just about the current year.

Cousins is set to make 150 million over a 5 year stretch as a Viking. That had ramifications in prior years, with the Vikings being unable to extend Harris early, something they would have done if they had the cap space, or having to restructure Griffen last year so he could opt out of his contract this year. It has ramifications this year, with the Vikings being unable move more cap to future years.

The argument of whether or not he is worth the sacrifices made on the rest of the team to afford a guy making more than a tenth of the cap is one worth having, but saying paying a guy 150 million over 5 years has no major impact on the rest of the roster is just silly.
3 x

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:09 pm

The exodus continues.
0 x

VikingsVictorious
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by VikingsVictorious » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:15 pm

StumpHunter wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:52 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:34 pm

Cousins is set to make 150 million over a 5 year stretch as a Viking. That had ramifications in prior years, with the Vikings being unable to extend Harris early, something they would have done if they had the cap space, or having to restructure Griffen last year so he could opt out of his contract this year. It has ramifications this year, with the Vikings being unable move more cap to future years.

The argument of whether or not he is worth the sacrifices made on the rest of the team to afford a guy making more than a tenth of the cap is one worth having, but saying paying a guy 150 million over 5 years has no major impact on the rest of the roster is just silly.
You are correct that Cap Space isn't just about one year overll, but in this case PHP was talking about just this year. Cousins Salary this year isn't handcuffing us.
0 x

Maelstrom88
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:16 pm

Odenigbo will have a breakout year for peanuts.
0 x
Offseason Goal: Draft durable, tough, intelligent offensive lineman who are dependable technicians and avoid penalties aka drive killers. Wonderlic scores matter.

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:30 pm

I can't help but think the reason everyone is jumping ship is because they don't agree with the direction this team is headed. I think it all started with the ownership extending Cousins.
0 x
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:30 pm

Mothman wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:09 pm
The exodus continues.
But look at WHO is leaving.

Rhodes -- declining fast.
Waynes -- is gonna be WAY overpaid in Cincy.
Alexander -- an attitude problem from the day he was drafted, hence why a solid starting slot corner could only get $4 million from a bottom-feeder.
Griffen -- turns 33 before the end of the season, and opted OUT of a contract that would have paid him north of $10 million.
Sendejo -- who cares?
Joseph -- turns 32, big contract, replaced by a younger, better version of himself in Michael Pierce.
Diggs -- tough loss, but a LOT received in return for someone who didn't want to be here.
Kline -- I'll agree, this one is a head-scratcher.

All these guys except Kline and Alexander have been with the Vikings for at least 5 years, as have Barr, Hunter, Kendricks, Harris, Smith, Thielen, Rudolph, etc. It's not a surprise that guys age out, move on, etc. after that much time. In my opinion, none of these moves is crippling except if we can't replace Diggs' production. Most of the others are not a huge deal, and we may actually upgrade. Honestly Holton Hill could have given us as much as the suddenly pathetic Rhodes did last year.

I would not be surprised if the Vikings' defense is better next year. And if they can replace Diggs' production and somehow improve the line, the offense might, too. A lot depends on injuries.
3 x
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:33 pm

Maelstrom88 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:16 pm
Odenigbo will have a breakout year for peanuts.
Agree.

Dude had 7 sacks last year. It could be said he's already broken out.
2 x
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

RandyMoss84
Veteran

Post by RandyMoss84 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:56 pm

808vikingsfan wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:30 pm
I can't help but think the reason everyone is jumping ship is because they don't agree with the direction this team is headed. I think it all started with the ownership extending Cousins.
That is a dumb reason to do that because Cousins is not mediocre like almost everyone thinks :roll:
2 x

StumpHunter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by StumpHunter » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:08 pm

VikingsVictorious wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:15 pm
StumpHunter wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:52 pm

You are correct that Cap Space isn't just about one year overll, but in this case PHP was talking about just this year. Cousins Salary this year isn't handcuffing us.
Fine, his salary last year and next year is what is handcuffing us this year. Why is that an important distinction to make?
0 x

StumpHunter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by StumpHunter » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:17 pm

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:30 pm
Mothman wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:09 pm
The exodus continues.
But look at WHO is leaving.

Rhodes -- declining fast.
Waynes -- is gonna be WAY overpaid in Cincy.
Alexander -- an attitude problem from the day he was drafted, hence why a solid starting slot corner could only get $4 million from a bottom-feeder.
Griffen -- turns 33 before the end of the season, and opted OUT of a contract that would have paid him north of $10 million.
Sendejo -- who cares?
Joseph -- turns 32, big contract, replaced by a younger, better version of himself in Michael Pierce.
Diggs -- tough loss, but a LOT received in return for someone who didn't want to be here.
Kline -- I'll agree, this one is a head-scratcher.

All these guys except Kline and Alexander have been with the Vikings for at least 5 years, as have Barr, Hunter, Kendricks, Harris, Smith, Thielen, Rudolph, etc. It's not a surprise that guys age out, move on, etc. after that much time. In my opinion, none of these moves is crippling except if we can't replace Diggs' production. Most of the others are not a huge deal, and we may actually upgrade. Honestly Holton Hill could have given us as much as the suddenly pathetic Rhodes did last year.

I would not be surprised if the Vikings' defense is better next year. And if they can replace Diggs' production and somehow improve the line, the offense might, too. A lot depends on injuries.
You are right, we didn't want those guys anyway!!!

The three guys cut I see your point. Rhodes and Joseph were not performing up to their contract and Kline is still the below average RG with 0 upside who was cut from TN last year.

Diggs, Griffen, Waynes, and Alexander all had solid to elite years though. We would be a better team long term, not just in the short term, if they had been retained.
0 x