Alexander to Bengals

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 38140
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL
x 310

Re: Alexander to Bengals

Post by Mothman » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:43 am

fiestavike wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:22 am
Mothman wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:20 am


It's not a good sign that the team is losing so much "home-grown" young talent. Ideally, when trying to build, you want to be able to draft, develop and then keep talented players in their prime. What does it say about the Vikes that Waynes, Alexander, Diggs, Weatherly and Kearse are all moving on (Diggs via trade) after their first 4 or 5 years with the team?
Its concerning, isn't it?
Definitely.
0 x

User avatar
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4207
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
x 167

Re: Alexander to Bengals

Post by fiestavike » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:48 am

Mothman wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:43 am
fiestavike wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:22 am


Its concerning, isn't it?
Definitely.
I thought the team lacked fire and seemed flat most of last season. Perhaps that's attributable to something going on with the culture of this team behind the scenes. Several players seemed disgruntled, and that fact that so many of those players have left via FA or agitated for a trade might suggest there was really something to that. Hopefully it will be addition by subtraction (culturally speaking).
0 x

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7595
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY
x 475

Re: Alexander to Bengals

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:01 pm

halfgiz wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:37 am
Spot on Jim...And it's not like Mac and Kearse signed for big money.
Loosing them 2 hurt.
Also sounds we might be loosing Dan Baily also.
Mac I understand. But losing Kearse wasn’t that big of a deal IMO. He was technically our 4th safety, sub package guy that was a decent special teamer. You can replace that anywhere
0 x
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 38140
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL
x 310

Re: Alexander to Bengals

Post by Mothman » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:01 pm

fiestavike wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:48 am
I thought the team lacked fire and seemed flat most of last season. Perhaps that's attributable to something going on with the culture of this team behind the scenes. Several players seemed disgruntled, and that fact that so many of those players have left via FA or agitated for a trade might suggest there was really something to that. Hopefully it will be addition by subtraction (culturally speaking).
We'll see what happens. My concern is that there is a "cultural problem" within the organization or even that players might be seeing the Vikings as stagnant, plodding along under the same leadership, repeating mistakes and looking very much like a franchise that hasn't won a Super Bowl or been to one since the '70s. If the latter is your goal as a player, would you want to spend your career in Minnesota?

Admittedly, that might be a bit alarmist. :)

Maybe turning over a significant portion of the roster over the next two years will help reinvigorate the team. Let's hope so. It sure looks to me like the Vikings have entered a rebuilding mode (or a transitional phase, if anyone objects to the term "rebuilding").
0 x

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7595
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY
x 475

Re: Alexander to Bengals

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:03 pm

fiestavike wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:48 am
Mothman wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:43 am


Definitely.
I thought the team lacked fire and seemed flat most of last season. Perhaps that's attributable to something going on with the culture of this team behind the scenes. Several players seemed disgruntled, and that fact that so many of those players have left via FA or agitated for a trade might suggest there was really something to that. Hopefully it will be addition by subtraction (culturally speaking).
It can be a concern I guess but at the same time, we simply didn’t have the money to bring these guys back. It’s not like we’re sitting with $50 million in cap and just letting them walk. We’re operating on pennies at this point
0 x
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri

User avatar
halfgiz
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2050
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:38 pm
x 46

Re: Alexander to Bengals

Post by halfgiz » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:17 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:03 pm
fiestavike wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:48 am


I thought the team lacked fire and seemed flat most of last season. Perhaps that's attributable to something going on with the culture of this team behind the scenes. Several players seemed disgruntled, and that fact that so many of those players have left via FA or agitated for a trade might suggest there was really something to that. Hopefully it will be addition by subtraction (culturally speaking).
It can be a concern I guess but at the same time, we simply didn’t have the money to bring these guys back. It’s not like we’re sitting with $50 million in cap and just letting them walk. We’re operating on pennies at this point
Don't even get me gone on that...
Mac was a need we should have been able to afford. Problem was he was ready to leave, from what I heard.

Alexander: 1 of 5 CBs to play 500 snaps and not commit a penalty in 2019
1 x

StumpHunter
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1674
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 210

Re: Alexander to Bengals

Post by StumpHunter » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:48 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:01 pm
halfgiz wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:37 am
Spot on Jim...And it's not like Mac and Kearse signed for big money.
Loosing them 2 hurt.
Also sounds we might be loosing Dan Baily also.
Mac I understand. But losing Kearse wasn’t that big of a deal IMO. He was technically our 4th safety, sub package guy that was a decent special teamer. You can replace that anywhere
I think Kearse wanted to be more than that and didn't feel like he ever got a fair shake to do so.

He would be right too, if he hadn't gone and done what he did off the field.

On the field he always played well when given the opportunity, off the field it appears he is an idiot.
0 x

User avatar
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3907
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
x 110

Re: Alexander to Bengals

Post by Texas Vike » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:51 pm

Am I remembering right that Mac and Zimmer never really saw eye to eye, or at least had a very rough start, which involved a strained relationship for at least a season?

I would guess that has at least as much to do with his departure as anything. Our secondary stunk last year. We replaced our positional coach there and we're overhauling the CBs. I thought we should hold onto either Waynes or Mac. Now we have a ton of holes to fill.
0 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 550
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 138

Re: Alexander to Bengals

Post by VikingsVictorious » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:17 pm

halfgiz wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:37 am
Spot on Jim...And it's not like Mac and Kearse signed for big money.
Loosing them 2 hurt.
Also sounds we might be loosing Dan Baily also.
Losing Bailey is no big deal. I believe Vedvik is available.
Seriously Bailey had a forbath type year for us. Missed too many XPs, but very good on FGs. Hope he sticks around if the price is reasonable of course.
0 x

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7937
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
x 650

Re: Alexander to Bengals

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:33 pm

Texas Vike wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:51 pm
Am I remembering right that Mac and Zimmer never really saw eye to eye, or at least had a very rough start, which involved a strained relationship for at least a season?

I would guess that has at least as much to do with his departure as anything. Our secondary stunk last year. We replaced our positional coach there and we're overhauling the CBs. I thought we should hold onto either Waynes or Mac. Now we have a ton of holes to fill.
It was mostly Alexander. His first couple of years on the league, he didn't like the idea of being a slot corner and didn't give the team his best in practice or games. He admitted as much. Once he grew up a little and accepted his role, he took the coaching better and became a solid player.

If I had to guess, I'd say he's leaving because he wants to be an outside starting corner, not a slot corner. Be careful what you wish for, I guess.
1 x
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7937
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
x 650

Re: Alexander to Bengals

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:40 pm

VikingsVictorious wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:17 pm
halfgiz wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:37 am
Spot on Jim...And it's not like Mac and Kearse signed for big money.
Loosing them 2 hurt.
Also sounds we might be loosing Dan Baily also.
Losing Bailey is no big deal. I believe Vedvik is available.
Seriously Bailey had a forbath type year for us. Missed too many XPs, but very good on FGs. Hope he sticks around if the price is reasonable of course.
Disagree. Dan Bailey had a near Pro Bowl season for us. Hit 27-of-29, including 3-of-3 from 50+.

Weird as it sounds, this might be salary based. Bailey only made $1 million in salary last year, but he also made an additional $1 million by making 90% or more of his kicks (he hit 93%). With the Vikings still mired in cap hell, they may well be looking to the kicker position as a place to save money.

By the way, there's a reason Kaare Vedvik is available, and I'm guessing it has to do with being traded twice and getting cut by the third team in less than a month.
1 x
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

StumpHunter
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1674
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 210

Re: Alexander to Bengals

Post by StumpHunter » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:48 pm

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:33 pm
Texas Vike wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:51 pm
Am I remembering right that Mac and Zimmer never really saw eye to eye, or at least had a very rough start, which involved a strained relationship for at least a season?

I would guess that has at least as much to do with his departure as anything. Our secondary stunk last year. We replaced our positional coach there and we're overhauling the CBs. I thought we should hold onto either Waynes or Mac. Now we have a ton of holes to fill.
It was mostly Alexander. His first couple of years on the league, he didn't like the idea of being a slot corner and didn't give the team his best in practice or games. He admitted as much. Once he grew up a little and accepted his role, he took the coaching better and became a solid player.

If I had to guess, I'd say he's leaving because he wants to be an outside starting corner, not a slot corner. Be careful what you wish for, I guess.
I wonder if he took less in Cincy because they told him he would get a shot to play outside and make bank as an outside corner in two seasons? Outside corners make significantly more than slot guys, so it might make sense financially.

Looking at their roster, is William Jackson any good? Sounds like they will be cutting Dre Kirkpatrick, but they didn't pay Waynes that much to not start outside.
0 x

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7937
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
x 650

Re: Alexander to Bengals

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:51 pm

StumpHunter wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:48 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:33 pm

It was mostly Alexander. His first couple of years on the league, he didn't like the idea of being a slot corner and didn't give the team his best in practice or games. He admitted as much. Once he grew up a little and accepted his role, he took the coaching better and became a solid player.

If I had to guess, I'd say he's leaving because he wants to be an outside starting corner, not a slot corner. Be careful what you wish for, I guess.
I wonder if he took less in Cincy because they told him he would get a shot to play outside and make bank as an outside corner in two seasons? Outside corners make significantly more than slot guys, so it might make sense financially.

Looking at their roster, is William Jackson any good? Sounds like they will be cutting Dre Kirkpatrick, but they didn't pay Waynes that much to not start outside.
Yeah, I'm not sure why else anybody in their right mind would go to a 2-14, dysfunctional organization like Cincinnati unless it was for either bank or future bank. Waynes and Mack are gonna be miserable when they don't have Harrison Smith and Anthony Harris covering their backsides.
1 x
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

User avatar
Maelstrom88
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 847
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:38 am
x 105

Re: Alexander to Bengals

Post by Maelstrom88 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:23 pm

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:51 pm
StumpHunter wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:48 pm


I wonder if he took less in Cincy because they told him he would get a shot to play outside and make bank as an outside corner in two seasons? Outside corners make significantly more than slot guys, so it might make sense financially.

Looking at their roster, is William Jackson any good? Sounds like they will be cutting Dre Kirkpatrick, but they didn't pay Waynes that much to not start outside.
Yeah, I'm not sure why else anybody in their right mind would go to a 2-14, dysfunctional organization like Cincinnati unless it was for either bank or future bank. Waynes and Mack are gonna be miserable when they don't have Harrison Smith and Anthony Harris covering their backsides.
Agree. Maybe we can get some corners in here that actually get ints.
0 x
Offseason Goal: Draft durable, tough, intelligent offensive lineman who are dependable technicians and avoid penalties aka drive killers. Wonderlic scores matter.

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11985
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii
x 286

Re: Alexander to Bengals

Post by S197 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:01 pm

So basically our secondary is gutted, our pass rush is down 2 large contributors, our OL is somehow worse and we lost one of the biggest weapons on offense.

But we have draft picks and Cousins so no one panic!
1 x