Vikings cut Kline

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1113
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am
x 113

Re: Vikings cut Kline

Post by YikesVikes » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:33 pm

VikingPaul73 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:31 pm
thinking about this a bit more......I seem to recall someone posted during the season, that Kline was the real weak link on the OL, and that some of the struggles of Bradbury (constantly having to help Kline) and Elf (constantly being left alone because Bradbury was always helping Kline) were because of Kline's weaknesses.

Not saying I am promoting this idea, just thought about this a minute ago after thinking about this surprise move.

thoughts?
Kline had 22 pressure and 3 sacks. IF we were helping him and leaving Pat alone... we deserve to lose every game.
0 x

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1113
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am
x 113

Re: Vikings cut Kline

Post by YikesVikes » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:35 pm

VikingsVictorious wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:48 pm
YikesVikes wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:34 pm
This team is a joke. Every year they make worse decisions and this team will never win a chip with the FO we have. We cut Kline who appeared to be an above-average guard for us and Pat E still has a job? A joke. We saved 1 million. Can't wait to hear how the Speilman asskissers work this into a positive.
There are no Spielman a$$ kissers on this site and I haven't seen one person try to spin this into a positive. Nobody gets why the hell this happened.
Oh wait. They are coming. They always give it a day or to and try to spin how great every move is. How Kline was trash and the worse OL and they are glad the kid we took in the 7th round gets to play because he is a real stud. Remember how Bisi was suppose to be a game change at WR3. Remember Bebbe? How about Stacey Coley? No matter the move and how stupid we look as a team, they come out in full force defending out idiotic front office.
0 x

User avatar
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3092
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:07 pm
x 53

Re: Vikings cut Kline

Post by VikingPaul73 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:42 pm

YikesVikes wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:33 pm
VikingPaul73 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:31 pm
thinking about this a bit more......I seem to recall someone posted during the season, that Kline was the real weak link on the OL, and that some of the struggles of Bradbury (constantly having to help Kline) and Elf (constantly being left alone because Bradbury was always helping Kline) were because of Kline's weaknesses.

Not saying I am promoting this idea, just thought about this a minute ago after thinking about this surprise move.

thoughts?
Kline had 22 pressure and 3 sacks. IF we were helping him and leaving Pat alone... we deserve to lose every game.
Again, I am not advocating this idea, just remembered the post and thought it was interesting given this development.

And the suggestion is, his numbers looked better BECAUSE he was constantly getting help from Bradbury. That's the point. So using the fact that he had better stats to dispute a premise that he had better stats because he was always getting extra help makes no sense.
0 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 550
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 138

Re: Vikings cut Kline

Post by VikingsVictorious » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:47 pm

YikesVikes wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:35 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:48 pm

There are no Spielman a$$ kissers on this site and I haven't seen one person try to spin this into a positive. Nobody gets why the hell this happened.
Oh wait. They are coming. They always give it a day or to and try to spin how great every move is. How Kline was trash and the worse OL and they are glad the kid we took in the 7th round gets to play because he is a real stud. Remember how Bisi was suppose to be a game change at WR3. Remember Bebbe? How about Stacey Coley? No matter the move and how stupid we look as a team, they come out in full force defending out idiotic front office.
We don't have an idiotic front office. That said I see no way to defend the cutting of Kline. That individual move I currently see as idiotic, but that doesn't make them as a whole idiotic.
0 x

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7596
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY
x 475

Re: Vikings cut Kline

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:23 pm

YikesVikes wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:35 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:48 pm

There are no Spielman a$$ kissers on this site and I haven't seen one person try to spin this into a positive. Nobody gets why the hell this happened.
Oh wait. They are coming. They always give it a day or to and try to spin how great every move is. How Kline was trash and the worse OL and they are glad the kid we took in the 7th round gets to play because he is a real stud. Remember how Bisi was suppose to be a game change at WR3. Remember Bebbe? How about Stacey Coley? No matter the move and how stupid we look as a team, they come out in full force defending out idiotic front office.
Nobody was content with passing on a WR until the 7th last year. The argument was mattison over Hakeem butler and you were the prime leader of that argument. And it proved to be a great move because:

#1 mattison is a stud that can contribute when cook is playing and could take on a workhorse role at any time. Plus given cooks injury history it made it that much more of a necessity.

#2 it ended up being a better move passing on a early WR last year given how strong this years class is.

And #3 Hakeem butler showed little in the preseason, was beaten out by late round picks, and ended up being done for the year.

And no nobody is defending the Kline release but in the end, we really don’t know the reasoning. They must have some sort of plan. They wanted Kline to take a pay cut and he refused. Tennessee asked him to do the same thing, he refused and was released. Outside of that, we know nothing.
0 x
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7596
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY
x 475

Re: Vikings cut Kline

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:26 pm

VikingsVictorious wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:47 pm
YikesVikes wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:35 pm


Oh wait. They are coming. They always give it a day or to and try to spin how great every move is. How Kline was trash and the worse OL and they are glad the kid we took in the 7th round gets to play because he is a real stud. Remember how Bisi was suppose to be a game change at WR3. Remember Bebbe? How about Stacey Coley? No matter the move and how stupid we look as a team, they come out in full force defending out idiotic front office.
We don't have an idiotic front office. That said I see no way to defend the cutting of Kline. That individual move I currently see as idiotic, but that doesn't make them as a whole idiotic.
Exactly and year after year I say, how does everyone think we landed the talent we did through all these drafts and had the roster that we did? Because of rick spielman. It’s zims job to coach them. Spielman has definitely brought in boat loads of talent via the draft since Zim has been here and I expect that to continue. Yeah we can all sit here and talk about his misses here and there but name me a GM you can’t do that with
0 x
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7596
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY
x 475

Re: Vikings cut Kline

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:28 pm

VikingPaul73 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:42 pm
YikesVikes wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:33 pm


Kline had 22 pressure and 3 sacks. IF we were helping him and leaving Pat alone... we deserve to lose every game.
Again, I am not advocating this idea, just remembered the post and thought it was interesting given this development.

And the suggestion is, his numbers looked better BECAUSE he was constantly getting help from Bradbury. That's the point. So using the fact that he had better stats to dispute a premise that he had better stats because he was always getting extra help makes no sense.
That doesn’t make any sense to me. I’d like to see that source. Because Kline was known for his pass blocking. Even in Tennessee. If anything, Kline needed to help Bradbury because his pass blocking was disgusting
1 x
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 38140
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL
x 310

Re: Vikings cut Kline

Post by Mothman » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:18 am

VikingsVictorious wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:48 pm
YikesVikes wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:34 pm
This team is a joke. Every year they make worse decisions and this team will never win a chip with the FO we have. We cut Kline who appeared to be an above-average guard for us and Pat E still has a job? A joke. We saved 1 million. Can't wait to hear how the Speilman asskissers work this into a positive.
There are no Spielman a$$ kissers on this site and I haven't seen one person try to spin this into a positive. Nobody gets why the hell this happened.
From the board rules:

Personal Attacks and Offensive Language/Material

Posts containing obscene, profane, threatening, harassing, offensive, vulgar, racial, abusive, hateful or bashing language or images will not be tolerated and will be removed. This board uses a word filter list. Skirting the word filter list so that inappropriate language will show up is frowned upon and can result in your post being edited or deleted. Circumnavigating the word filter is a particularly bad idea when doing so in dialogue with another person. Your post has a better chance of being edited or deleted when this occurs and depending on the tone of your post may result in a warning.

----------------

In other words: clean it up, please.
0 x

StumpHunter
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1675
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 210

Re: Vikings cut Kline

Post by StumpHunter » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:20 am

YikesVikes wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:33 pm
VikingPaul73 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:31 pm
thinking about this a bit more......I seem to recall someone posted during the season, that Kline was the real weak link on the OL, and that some of the struggles of Bradbury (constantly having to help Kline) and Elf (constantly being left alone because Bradbury was always helping Kline) were because of Kline's weaknesses.

Not saying I am promoting this idea, just thought about this a minute ago after thinking about this surprise move.

thoughts?
Kline had 22 pressure and 3 sacks. IF we were helping him and leaving Pat alone... we deserve to lose every game.
That is a lot for a RG who missed multiple games. A lot for a RG period.
Last edited by StumpHunter on Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

StumpHunter
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1675
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 210

Re: Vikings cut Kline

Post by StumpHunter » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:26 am

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:56 pm
StumpHunter wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:23 pm
I said all year he was playing at a below average level and people consistently ripped me for it. This just confirms that most fans have no idea what a good guard looks like.

The Vikings must like Dozier or Samia quite a bit is all I can think as this does create a hole on the team. Or they are about to make a move for a FA guard.
I guess everyone should just listen to what you say since you’re one of the only fans that knows what a good guard looks like. And apparently quarterbacks too :roll:

Funny thing is, they asked him to basically take a pay cut, he refused so they let him go. That’s not a direct knock on his play. They are trying to move all the salary cap around that they can
They saved 1.5 million this year. They could have kept him around to compete with someone in camp for the starting spot for that money and cut him if he lost that battle, but they chose to cut him now because he was that bad.

It was a bad signing by the GM, but probably worth the risk since he is so bad at identifying guards in the draft.
0 x

User avatar
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 902
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 10:38 am
Location: Saint Michael, MN
x 120

Re: Vikings cut Kline

Post by Dames » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:38 am

StumpHunter wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:20 am
YikesVikes wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:33 pm


Kline had 22 pressure and 3 sacks. IF we were helping him and leaving Pat alone... we deserve to lose every game.
That is a lot for a RG who missed multiple games. A lot for a RG period.
I think the move is still a head-scratcher, but you're not necessarily wrong. I'm guessing the injury history has a part in this, and I think Kubiak/Dennison had a hand in this as well. It's possible that Kline didn't fit the mold they wanted. i.e. he's not athletic enough in space? Beats me.

The cap saving is so small, that it's still a strange move regardless. They tried to renegotiate I guess, so maybe that didn't go too well.
0 x
Damian

User avatar
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4207
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
x 167

Re: Vikings cut Kline

Post by fiestavike » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:50 am

Dames wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:38 am
StumpHunter wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:20 am


That is a lot for a RG who missed multiple games. A lot for a RG period.
I think the move is still a head-scratcher, but you're not necessarily wrong. I'm guessing the injury history has a part in this, and I think Kubiak/Dennison had a hand in this as well. It's possible that Kline didn't fit the mold they wanted. i.e. he's not athletic enough in space? Beats me.

The cap saving is so small, that it's still a strange move regardless. They tried to renegotiate I guess, so maybe that didn't go too well.
I imagine the cap margin this year is going to be pretty close, so every dime counts.

If they are somehow going to upgrade Kline, or if they are resigned to developing young guys rather than holding on with a mediocre Guard, then it makes sense, I suppose. Its still shocking given how many starters won't be returning.
1 x

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7596
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY
x 475

Re: Vikings cut Kline

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:59 am

StumpHunter wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:26 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:56 pm


I guess everyone should just listen to what you say since you’re one of the only fans that knows what a good guard looks like. And apparently quarterbacks too :roll:

Funny thing is, they asked him to basically take a pay cut, he refused so they let him go. That’s not a direct knock on his play. They are trying to move all the salary cap around that they can
They saved 1.5 million this year. They could have kept him around to compete with someone in camp for the starting spot for that money and cut him if he lost that battle, but they chose to cut him now because he was that bad.

It was a bad signing by the GM, but probably worth the risk since he is so bad at identifying guards in the draft.
lol you're just trying to make the argument you had for him last offseason valid when you still have nothing to go on. They cut him over a contract dispute. That has already surfaced. YOU just think he was that bad. When he gave up the 2nd fewest pressures on the OL behind O'Neill. He was a very serviceable pass blocker. A whole lot better than Bradbury or Elflein. Nobody is saying he was an all world lineman but he was average IMO and slightly above average as a pass blocker. We were only paying him $5.25 million a year. That's fairly cheap for an average guard. But at this point, again maybe Rick Spielman should listen to you regarding every move he makes. Because you sure do act like you're an expert in all fields.
1 x
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri

StumpHunter
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1675
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 210

Re: Vikings cut Kline

Post by StumpHunter » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:26 am

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:59 am
StumpHunter wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:26 am


They saved 1.5 million this year. They could have kept him around to compete with someone in camp for the starting spot for that money and cut him if he lost that battle, but they chose to cut him now because he was that bad.

It was a bad signing by the GM, but probably worth the risk since he is so bad at identifying guards in the draft.
lol you're just trying to make the argument you had for him last offseason valid when you still have nothing to go on. They cut him over a contract dispute. That has already surfaced. YOU just think he was that bad. When he gave up the 2nd fewest pressures on the OL behind O'Neill. He was a very serviceable pass blocker. A whole lot better than Bradbury or Elflein. Nobody is saying he was an all world lineman but he was average IMO and slightly above average as a pass blocker. We were only paying him $5.25 million a year. That's fairly cheap for an average guard. But at this point, again maybe Rick Spielman should listen to you regarding every move he makes. Because you sure do act like you're an expert in all fields.
RG's giving up the 2nd fewest pressures (in the fewest starts on the line I might add) is not a good thing. I bet if you look up and down the NFL the RG spot gives up the fewest or 2nd fewest on most teams, behind only the center.

I made that argument last season, and was proven 100% to be correct. You can claim he played well last year all you want but it is just silly at this point. He was a below average RG in TN, and was a below average RG in MN. Now he is a below average RG with no team.
0 x

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7596
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY
x 475

Re: Vikings cut Kline

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:29 am

StumpHunter wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:20 am
YikesVikes wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:33 pm


Kline had 22 pressure and 3 sacks. IF we were helping him and leaving Pat alone... we deserve to lose every game.
That is a lot for a RG who missed multiple games. A lot for a RG period.
It's really not. So if Kline is considered "THAT bad" by you because he gave up 22 pressures in 13 games (1.7 pressures a game), then what was someone like Mike Remmers at guard? He gave up 25 pressures in his first 5 games at guard (that's 5 pressures a game). For example, Kline's one truly BAD year was 2018 in Tennessee where he gave up 38 pressures on the year (2.4 pressures per game) and that was the year you were hung up on when we signed him. However, the 2 previous years in Tennessee he gave up 22 pressures both of those years and average 2.5 sacks given up each season. And then you have 22 pressures again this year with 2 sacks given up. That is equivalent to Joe Berger's numbers in 2017. Again, nobody was saying Kline was a stalwart guard, but he was a good stop gap and average enough to hold up. But he was not a "bad" guard by any means.
1 x
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri