Cousins signs 2 year extension (Details)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 674
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 163

Re: Cousins signs 2 year extension (Details)

Post by VikingsVictorious » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:32 pm

StumpHunter wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:13 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:05 am

Stump I was just sharing some fun stats about our players. I wasn't making any statement or trying to prove anything. Yet you found the need to try to mitigate the positive nature of my post. Why?
I was just posting some fun comparisons between Cousins and Rodgers, yet you took it upon yourself to be offended and go after the poster, not the post. Why?

In all seriousness, I am pretty upset about my favorite team giving 150 million fully guaranteed dollars to a QB over 5 years. I am allowed to be upset about that, and I am also not the only one who is.

I am also stuck in a house with a son who is quarantined while we find out if his classmate gave him Covid and I am very bored.
I hope your son and you and everybody else is OK. The good news is this illness affects most young and healthy people like a cold. Elderly or people with preexisting health issues are at higher risk. So odds are even if he has it he's going to be fine.

Regarding your response to my post. It showed some very positive things about our QB and some other Vikings players. Those should be things to make Vikings fans smile. Were you happy when Cousins made the long connection to Thielen and followed it up with the TD pass to Rudy?
0 x

StumpHunter
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1728
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 216

Re: Cousins signs 2 year extension (Details)

Post by StumpHunter » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:45 pm

VikingsVictorious wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:32 pm
StumpHunter wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:13 pm


I was just posting some fun comparisons between Cousins and Rodgers, yet you took it upon yourself to be offended and go after the poster, not the post. Why?

In all seriousness, I am pretty upset about my favorite team giving 150 million fully guaranteed dollars to a QB over 5 years. I am allowed to be upset about that, and I am also not the only one who is.

I am also stuck in a house with a son who is quarantined while we find out if his classmate gave him Covid and I am very bored.
I hope your son and you and everybody else is OK. The good news is this illness affects most young and healthy people like a cold. Elderly or people with preexisting health issues are at higher risk. So odds are even if he has it he's going to be fine.

Regarding your response to my post. It showed some very positive things about our QB and some other Vikings players. Those should be things to make Vikings fans smile. Were you happy when Cousins made the long connection to Thielen and followed it up with the TD pass to Rudy?
I like when my team wins, so I did enjoy it for about 7 days. In the end that win will end up costing us big. In fact, it already did.
0 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 674
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 163

Re: Cousins signs 2 year extension (Details)

Post by VikingsVictorious » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:50 pm

StumpHunter wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:45 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:32 pm

I hope your son and you and everybody else is OK. The good news is this illness affects most young and healthy people like a cold. Elderly or people with preexisting health issues are at higher risk. So odds are even if he has it he's going to be fine.

Regarding your response to my post. It showed some very positive things about our QB and some other Vikings players. Those should be things to make Vikings fans smile. Were you happy when Cousins made the long connection to Thielen and followed it up with the TD pass to Rudy?
I like when my team wins, so I did enjoy it for about 7 days. In the end that win will end up costing us big. In fact, it already did.
I guess every win a team gets costs them big. Draft position and salary paid to players. Probably better if we never win a game. Than all our players will be cheap.
1 x

User avatar
Rhodes Closed
Transition Player
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:21 am
Location: Sleepy Eye, Minnesota
x 61

Re: Cousins signs 2 year extension (Details)

Post by Rhodes Closed » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:36 pm

We should tank, trade away Harrison for a 1, Thielen for a 1, Hunter for a 1,Cook for a 2, Barr for a 2, Kendricks for a 2, Bailey for a 5, Colquitt for a 5, and then ride the waves to the greatest draft in NFL history. :deadhorse:
2 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 674
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 163

Re: Cousins signs 2 year extension (Details)

Post by VikingsVictorious » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:40 pm

Rhodes Closed wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:36 pm
We should tank, trade away Harrison for a 1, Thielen for a 1, Hunter for a 1,Cook for a 2, Barr for a 2, Kendricks for a 2, Bailey for a 5, Colquitt for a 5, and then ride the waves to the greatest draft in NFL history. :deadhorse:
Yep LOL. As Ricky Bobby says if you're not first you're last. So we might as well be actually last. :rofl:
2 x

StumpHunter
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1728
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 216

Re: Cousins signs 2 year extension (Details)

Post by StumpHunter » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:05 pm

VikingsVictorious wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:50 pm
StumpHunter wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:45 pm

I like when my team wins, so I did enjoy it for about 7 days. In the end that win will end up costing us big. In fact, it already did.
I guess every win a team gets costs them big. Draft position and salary paid to players. Probably better if we never win a game. Than all our players will be cheap.
Nope, you got it all wrong. I want my team to win at the highest level during my lifetime, and I know for certain that they won't with Kirk Cousins at the helm, and a combination of Rick and Zimmer at the helm. The SF game 7 days later confirmed that.

The status quo isn't good enough, and a coin flip in the NO is a big reason we stuck with the status quo.
0 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 674
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 163

Re: Cousins signs 2 year extension (Details)

Post by VikingsVictorious » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:45 pm

StumpHunter wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:05 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:50 pm

I guess every win a team gets costs them big. Draft position and salary paid to players. Probably better if we never win a game. Than all our players will be cheap.
Nope, you got it all wrong. I want my team to win at the highest level during my lifetime, and I know for certain that they won't with Kirk Cousins at the helm, and a combination of Rick and Zimmer at the helm. The SF game 7 days later confirmed that.

The status quo isn't good enough, and a coin flip in the NO is a big reason we stuck with the status quo.
You don't know any such thing. You also are a Vikings fan, but you want to diminish our excellent victory to a coin flip.
2 x

StumpHunter
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1728
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 216

Re: Cousins signs 2 year extension (Details)

Post by StumpHunter » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:56 am

VikingsVictorious wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:45 pm
StumpHunter wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:05 pm


Nope, you got it all wrong. I want my team to win at the highest level during my lifetime, and I know for certain that they won't with Kirk Cousins at the helm, and a combination of Rick and Zimmer at the helm. The SF game 7 days later confirmed that.

The status quo isn't good enough, and a coin flip in the NO is a big reason we stuck with the status quo.
You don't know any such thing. You also are a Vikings fan, but you want to diminish our excellent victory to a coin flip.
That game proved that we were a pretty good team. The following one proved that we were light years away from winning a Super Bowl.
0 x

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7669
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY
x 507

Re: Cousins signs 2 year extension (Details)

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:02 am

StumpHunter wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:56 am
VikingsVictorious wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:45 pm

You don't know any such thing. You also are a Vikings fan, but you want to diminish our excellent victory to a coin flip.
That game proved that we were a pretty good team. The following one proved that we were light years away from winning a Super Bowl.
Well since my post got deleted, I’m still curious as to why you’re dumbing that victory down to a coin flip? Say we lost that game and I said, it was because we lost the coin flip, you’d rip me 6 ways to Sunday and tell me what cousins did wrong. Now you’re saying that’s why we won the game? Come on dude
2 x
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 38141
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL
x 311

Re: Cousins signs 2 year extension (Details)

Post by Mothman » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:23 am

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:02 am
StumpHunter wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:56 am

That game proved that we were a pretty good team. The following one proved that we were light years away from winning a Super Bowl.
Well since my post got deleted, I’m still curious as to why you’re dumbing that victory down to a coin flip? Say we lost that game and I said, it was because we lost the coin flip, you’d rip me 6 ways to Sunday and tell me what cousins did wrong. Now you’re saying that’s why we won the game? Come on dude
There's no need to be so adversarial. You can simply ask the question without the hypothetical comment about how he'd rip you or the "Come on, dude". Please, make an effort to disagree respectfully.

For example, in this case, you could simply point out the obvious: the outcome wasn't decided by a coin flip. The Vikes drove the ball downfield and won the game. The Saints failed to stop them. It's that simple. The coin toss simply gave the Vikes an opportunity.
2 x

StumpHunter
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1728
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 216

Re: Cousins signs 2 year extension (Details)

Post by StumpHunter » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:38 am

Mothman wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:23 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:02 am


Well since my post got deleted, I’m still curious as to why you’re dumbing that victory down to a coin flip? Say we lost that game and I said, it was because we lost the coin flip, you’d rip me 6 ways to Sunday and tell me what cousins did wrong. Now you’re saying that’s why we won the game? Come on dude
There's no need to be so adversarial. You can simply ask the question without the hypothetical comment about how he'd rip you or the "Come on, dude". Please, make an effort to disagree respectfully.

For example, in this case, you could simply point out the obvious: the outcome wasn't decided by a coin flip. The Vikes drove the ball downfield and won the game. The Saints failed to stop them. It's that simple. The coin toss simply gave the Vikes an opportunity.
Although I didn't see the other response, if PHP had responded with what you wrote above, I would be able to explain the coin flip in and of itself wasn't what won us the game. It is just what ensured that final drive could happen.

It is possible we lose that coin flip, the defense holds and then that drive happens anyway, but ideally we win that game in regulation when our defense is playing that well, our run game is clicking and Will Lutz is missing easy FGs. That didn't happen in large part because the QB was playing poorly.
0 x

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 38141
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL
x 311

Re: Cousins signs 2 year extension (Details)

Post by Mothman » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:36 am

StumpHunter wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:38 am
Mothman wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:23 am


There's no need to be so adversarial. You can simply ask the question without the hypothetical comment about how he'd rip you or the "Come on, dude". Please, make an effort to disagree respectfully.

For example, in this case, you could simply point out the obvious: the outcome wasn't decided by a coin flip. The Vikes drove the ball downfield and won the game. The Saints failed to stop them. It's that simple. The coin toss simply gave the Vikes an opportunity.
Although I didn't see the other response, if PHP had responded with what you wrote above, I would be able to explain the coin flip in and of itself wasn't what won us the game. It is just what ensured that final drive could happen.
I assumed that was your point. I just wanted to illustrate how easy it is to respond to the subject without commenting about the person as well.
0 x

psjordan
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1532
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:01 am
x 15

Re: Cousins signs 2 year extension (Details)

Post by psjordan » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:52 am

Someone (pro writer, not us schloobs) wrote an article back before Goff signed his extension, basically saying after looking over all the numbers, stats, wins and losses, that it was silly to sign these QB's to major $ extensions. Saying the Rams would be better off letting him walk and starting over, but always drafting a young "does he have it?" type QB to have in the fold. The article implied, but did not state outright, that the QB position should go the way of the RB position. Don't pay up, don't extend, just keep drafting players who can play on their rookie deal. If they turn into a 30 million dollar per year stud, let them walk.

I mentioned that article to several friends at the time, who all guffawed and said "that is absolute lunacy". I'm seriously starting to wonder.

Brady did the Patriots so many solids over the years that I swore he made a secret deal with Kraft to own some small percentage of the team when he retires. Other than Brady, just about every "top 10-15" QB has grabbed the money with gusto when the time came, and teams caved. I think including ours. I have done zero statistically-valid digging to see how that impacted playoff wins and losses.

Considering EVERYTHING, would we really be that worse off with say Hurts playing as a rookie, and one or two [fill in your favorite position of need] stud rookies at other critical, not-so-highly-paid positions? And being able to dole more reasonable dollars to vets who have proved themselves at non-glam positions?

I for one would be just fine with the team taking that gamble. It's how the Seahawks thrived during Russell's rookie deal.

It's a huge gamble of a strategy, but so is paying your veteran QB out of this world numbers. And I don't think the team is selling more Cousins jerseys after the extension.
0 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 674
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 163

Re: Cousins signs 2 year extension (Details)

Post by VikingsVictorious » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:24 am

psjordan wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:52 am
Someone (pro writer, not us schloobs) wrote an article back before Goff signed his extension, basically saying after looking over all the numbers, stats, wins and losses, that it was silly to sign these QB's to major $ extensions. Saying the Rams would be better off letting him walk and starting over, but always drafting a young "does he have it?" type QB to have in the fold. The article implied, but did not state outright, that the QB position should go the way of the RB position. Don't pay up, don't extend, just keep drafting players who can play on their rookie deal. If they turn into a 30 million dollar per year stud, let them walk.

I mentioned that article to several friends at the time, who all guffawed and said "that is absolute lunacy". I'm seriously starting to wonder.

Brady did the Patriots so many solids over the years that I swore he made a secret deal with Kraft to own some small percentage of the team when he retires. Other than Brady, just about every "top 10-15" QB has grabbed the money with gusto when the time came, and teams caved. I think including ours. I have done zero statistically-valid digging to see how that impacted playoff wins and losses.

Considering EVERYTHING, would we really be that worse off with say Hurts playing as a rookie, and one or two [fill in your favorite position of need] stud rookies at other critical, not-so-highly-paid positions? And being able to dole more reasonable dollars to vets who have proved themselves at non-glam positions?

I for one would be just fine with the team taking that gamble. It's how the Seahawks thrived during Russell's rookie deal.

It's a huge gamble of a strategy, but so is paying your veteran QB out of this world numbers. And I don't think the team is selling more Cousins jerseys after the extension.
Comparing QBs to RBs in this scenario is like comparing apples to oranges. Great QBs can remain great for 15 or more years. They are very hard to find. Only way this not paying the QBs the big bucks idea will work is if all the owners collude to not bid on the QBs that the other teams are letting go to go with a Jalen Hurts. Won't work. WRs are up to 20 million a year for the very best. Teams could just start saying they won't pay them and go with rookies. how about O Line. You could take this strategy with every position, but so far it's the RBs that tend to be the risky ones that teams should not invest big bucks in.
2 x

User avatar
Maelstrom88
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 856
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:38 am
x 111

Re: Cousins signs 2 year extension (Details)

Post by Maelstrom88 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:33 am

VikingsVictorious wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:24 am
psjordan wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:52 am
Someone (pro writer, not us schloobs) wrote an article back before Goff signed his extension, basically saying after looking over all the numbers, stats, wins and losses, that it was silly to sign these QB's to major $ extensions. Saying the Rams would be better off letting him walk and starting over, but always drafting a young "does he have it?" type QB to have in the fold. The article implied, but did not state outright, that the QB position should go the way of the RB position. Don't pay up, don't extend, just keep drafting players who can play on their rookie deal. If they turn into a 30 million dollar per year stud, let them walk.

I mentioned that article to several friends at the time, who all guffawed and said "that is absolute lunacy". I'm seriously starting to wonder.

Brady did the Patriots so many solids over the years that I swore he made a secret deal with Kraft to own some small percentage of the team when he retires. Other than Brady, just about every "top 10-15" QB has grabbed the money with gusto when the time came, and teams caved. I think including ours. I have done zero statistically-valid digging to see how that impacted playoff wins and losses.

Considering EVERYTHING, would we really be that worse off with say Hurts playing as a rookie, and one or two [fill in your favorite position of need] stud rookies at other critical, not-so-highly-paid positions? And being able to dole more reasonable dollars to vets who have proved themselves at non-glam positions?

I for one would be just fine with the team taking that gamble. It's how the Seahawks thrived during Russell's rookie deal.

It's a huge gamble of a strategy, but so is paying your veteran QB out of this world numbers. And I don't think the team is selling more Cousins jerseys after the extension.
Comparing QBs to RBs in this scenario is like comparing apples to oranges. Great QBs can remain great for 15 or more years. They are very hard to find. Only way this not paying the QBs the big bucks idea will work is if all the owners collude to not bid on the QBs that the other teams are letting go to go with a Jalen Hurts. Won't work. WRs are up to 20 million a year for the very best. Teams could just start saying they won't pay them and go with rookies. how about O Line. You could take this strategy with every position, but so far it's the RBs that tend to be the risky ones that teams should not invest big bucks in.
Great post. I think there is a fine line with overpaying Qbs and it's up to the GM to determine if your guy is worth what he and his agent are demanding. For example, if you have a guy like Peyton Manning or Tom Brady who make the entire team around them better then yes they are worth top dollar. If on the other hand you have a guy who is a glorified game manager and he wants to be paid top dollar you need to recognize he's not worth that price and decide whether you want to offer less to see if he takes it, franchise tag him, let him walk or trade him. The key is to not overpay a guy because then you won't be able to build a quality team around them. Not saying you don't need to build a quality team around the Peyton Mannings of the world but you may not need as many high-priced pieces to win a Superbowl with a quarterback of that caliber.
Last edited by Maelstrom88 on Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Offseason Goal: Draft durable, tough, intelligent offensive lineman who are dependable technicians and avoid penalties aka drive killers. Wonderlic scores matter.