2020 Offseason News Thread (Signings, Coaching changes, etc.)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 550
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 138

Re: 2020 Offseason News Thread (Signings, Coaching changes, etc.)

Post by VikingsVictorious » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:00 pm

fiestavike wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:33 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:31 pm

I didn't say we shouldn't be concerned with that kind of stuff. I just said we shouldn't be overly concerned with that kind of stuff. Maybe it's a very fine line.
Fair enough. It can be a dangerous game to franchise a guy in order to turn him into picks.
Yep if we wait too long the money might dry up and we could end up only getting a 4th round pick from him or we might be stuck with a player we don't want. On the other hand we might get a great safety at least for this season at a very reasonable price and then get a comp pick if he signs elsewhere later.
0 x

User avatar
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 902
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 10:38 am
Location: Saint Michael, MN
x 120

Re: 2020 Offseason News Thread (Signings, Coaching changes, etc.)

Post by Dames » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:10 pm

fiestavike wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:28 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:48 am

It's a business. You can't be overly concerned with somebody getting their undies in a bunch. Harris can sign the tender if he wants to call our bluff. We have our options and he has his.
If you deny a guy getting his first chance at FA millions of dollars, it might not be good for your reputation among the other players in the league. I'm not saying thats the only thing to consider, but that it is a thing to consider. If they have no intention of keeping him, and merely want to add a pick while they shed his salary, they should probably make a deal pronto, or rescind the franchise tag and let him go.
There is some true to that if that's the case, but I am guessing they wouldn't mind keeping him if it came down to it. Look, Harris has essentially been a starter for only 1.5 years, right?. So, honestly a 1 year contact isn't a terrible idea at this point. Yes, he was very good last year, but it's probably okay to see if he will continue his success. 11.4M isn't exactly a small contract. He may miss out on multiple years, which would probably be disappointing for him, but this is different than doing this to a guy who has been consistent for years.
0 x
Damian

TheBoysInPurple
Waterboy
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:49 pm

Vikings offseason moves

Post by TheBoysInPurple » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:17 pm

Alright guys, so the Vikings have made some pretty interesting moves this offseason, to say the least. I have been a fan of about half of the moves. I wish we could have made an attempt to keep MAC Alexander. What do you guys think? Also, my latest article dropped and would appreciate any reads or anything form it. I am just trying to spread my love/hate relationship with the Vikings. I'm sure you all feel me on that. It was released a few days ago so some news might be irrelevant now.

https://timeskewed.com/2020/03/17/minne ... gent-gold/
0 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 550
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 138

Re: 2020 Offseason News Thread (Signings, Coaching changes, etc.)

Post by VikingsVictorious » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:11 pm

Super Bowl Champions signing our castoffs.

MIKE REMMERS
T, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

Chiefs signed OL Mike Remmers to a one-year contract.
Remmers has been a starter the past six seasons but has never been more than a replacement-level option. He played all 14 games he was healthy for at right tackle for the Giants last year. Remmers could be an option on the interior for Kansas City after not re-signing Stefan Wisniewski.

SOURCE: Terez Paylor on Twitter
Mar 20, 2020, 6:33 PM ET
0 x

StumpHunter
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1675
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 210

Re: 2020 Offseason News Thread (Signings, Coaching changes, etc.)

Post by StumpHunter » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:56 pm

fiestavike wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:28 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:48 am

It's a business. You can't be overly concerned with somebody getting their undies in a bunch. Harris can sign the tender if he wants to call our bluff. We have our options and he has his.
If you deny a guy getting his first chance at FA millions of dollars, it might not be good for your reputation among the other players in the league. I'm not saying thats the only thing to consider, but that it is a thing to consider. If they have no intention of keeping him, and merely want to add a pick while they shed his salary, they should probably make a deal pronto, or rescind the franchise tag and let him go.
There is a reason the Vikings choose not to work that way in prior years.

This is also the 2nd year in a row Harris has been essentially forced to take a 1 year deal as opposed to being allowed to seek a longer term one. That is not a good look, and it is no wonder they are struggling to re-sign him.
0 x

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7596
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY
x 475

Re: 2020 Offseason News Thread (Signings, Coaching changes, etc.)

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:39 pm

StumpHunter wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:56 pm
fiestavike wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:28 pm


If you deny a guy getting his first chance at FA millions of dollars, it might not be good for your reputation among the other players in the league. I'm not saying thats the only thing to consider, but that it is a thing to consider. If they have no intention of keeping him, and merely want to add a pick while they shed his salary, they should probably make a deal pronto, or rescind the franchise tag and let him go.
There is a reason the Vikings choose not to work that way in prior years.

This is also the 2nd year in a row Harris has been essentially forced to take a 1 year deal as opposed to being allowed to seek a longer term one. That is not a good look, and it is no wonder they are struggling to re-sign him.
Again I don’t get why everything is always blamed on this staff, front office and cousins. How do you know that it’s not the player that’s being stubborn? I mean we only have so much money to give out. Not saying the front office haven’t made questionable decisions before but if we lose guys, the front office and coach get blamed for this and that. It’s like guys act like all the players warrant being resigned.

Why are you automatically blaming the front office and coach saying “no wonder they are struggling to resign him”?? How do you know they are struggling? How do you know they even offered him something? How do you know we have the cap dollars to even do it? And the more I think about it, doesn’t the franchise tag make sense for Harris right now? The franchise tag is paying him $11 million. His contract is being projected to be $14+ million a year. We’re actually getting him at a bargain right now.

Sure maybe you think Waynes should’ve been back but $14 million?? Let’s say we offered him $10 mil. He’s not taking that. He’s going where the money is. Clearly the team and winning didn’t matter because he went to the reigning worst team in the nfl. And I would say $10 mil is even overpaying for Waynes. So how is that on spielman or Zim? HE wanted a huge contract. Not only did we not have the cap but he was going where the money was clearly.

How is letting weatherly walk such an issue? A six game starter in 2018 and plenty of playing time the last two years and he gets 6 total sacks? And that was a big loss? He was drastically outperformed by a guy that played less than he did. That’s on HIM.

Diggs is being a cry baby because of the new offense we’re running and Thielen getting paid and that’s the front offices fault? Or that supposedly he “hates cousins” when there is zero proof to that. I don’t know how you can “hate your QB” when just a year prior he targeted him 149 times and he had 102 catches. His targets and catches were down because cousins threw nearly 200 less balls in 2019. Yet diggs also had more yardage this year. Cousins had one of the lowest amount of attempts of any QB this year. The only 16 game starter that is halfway decent that had less attempts was Lamar Jackson. That’s not on cousins, it’s about the scheme which was actually 30 times better than flips. Bottom line is, greenways explanation was spot on. Diggs wasn’t THE guy. We have Thielen and cook and he didn’t get all the attention. Thielen received more accolades, made pro bowls, etc. Diggs always played second fiddle and he didn’t like that. He wanted it to be all about him and it wasn’t and sure enough, he complains. That’s on HIM.

Kline gets cut because HE didn’t want to take a pay cut.

After seeing what kapp said about Alexander, it’s another one that’s on HIM.

Many of these moves needed to be done no matter what the players talent is. Griffen was the one I wish we didn’t lose and we tried to resign him but again, the cap forced us to bail. But again, I don’t know why it’s always Spielman not doing this or guys not buying into zims culture anymore or cousins contract. How about looking at the players themselves and seeing what their problem was?
0 x
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri

User avatar
Rhodes Closed
Transition Player
Posts: 314
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:21 am
Location: Sleepy Eye, Minnesota
x 59

Re: 2020 Offseason News Thread (Signings, Coaching changes, etc.)

Post by Rhodes Closed » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:51 pm

0 x

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 38140
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL
x 310

Re: 2020 Offseason News Thread (Signings, Coaching changes, etc.)

Post by Mothman » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:09 am

According to the transaction board at NFL.com, Danielle Hunter has signed a renegotiated contract with the Vikings.

http://www.nfl.com/transactions

Details don't seem to be out there yet but it seems likely they did something to free up cap space this year.
2 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 550
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 138

Re: 2020 Offseason News Thread (Signings, Coaching changes, etc.)

Post by VikingsVictorious » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:19 am

Mothman wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:09 am
According to the transaction board at NFL.com, Danielle Hunter has signed a renegotiated contract with the Vikings.

http://www.nfl.com/transactions

Details don't seem to be out there yet but it seems likely they did something to free up cap space this year.
I read it's 7.8 million cap space freed up.
0 x

User avatar
Maelstrom88
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 847
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:38 am
x 105

Re: 2020 Offseason News Thread (Signings, Coaching changes, etc.)

Post by Maelstrom88 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:44 am

Love Hunter.
0 x
Offseason Goal: Draft durable, tough, intelligent offensive lineman who are dependable technicians and avoid penalties aka drive killers. Wonderlic scores matter.

User avatar
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3092
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:07 pm
x 53

Re: 2020 Offseason News Thread (Signings, Coaching changes, etc.)

Post by VikingPaul73 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:18 am

My thoughts on the bigger moves so far.

Released
Joseph: Loved the guy, sad to see him go. But he is getting older and injuries might be catching up. Plus they signed a younger version for cheaper. Overall good move
Rhodes: Good riddance, not worth the $$. Can't blame Spielman for that ones, overall great move
Waynes: I liked him, but NOT for that much $$. Good move not to match that contract.
Mac: Bad move IMO, should have kept him for the $$ he was offered. Only $4M??? Maybe there is something to the stories about him being disgruntled, but still...bad move
Kline: Bad move. Best G on the roster at a reasonable price. I get he wouldn't take a pay cut, but he shouldn't have had to.
Griffen: Mixed emotions. He is still effective, but he's getting old and his skills are definitely declining and he would have been expensive. Overall OK move, but I'll miss him

So IMO 3 good, 2 bad, 1 OK. I am still scratching my head about the Kline decision

Signed/Resigned
Pierce: Great move, love it
Wilson: what was it, a 2nd round tender? I like it. He has done well when given change
Harris: I like Harris, but $11M is a lot to pay a S in this system. I think it's harder to find a CB for this system than a S. Wish some of this $$ had gone to Mac

so IMO 2 good, 1 bad

Trade
Diggs: I loved Diggs, but under the circumstances I think Spielman did well to get what he did,so OK overall. The draft should be exciting this year.

agree or disagree, either way this team will look A LOT different next year.
1 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 550
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 138

Re: 2020 Offseason News Thread (Signings, Coaching changes, etc.)

Post by VikingsVictorious » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:29 am

VikingPaul73 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:18 am
My thoughts on the bigger moves so far.

Released
Joseph: Loved the guy, sad to see him go. But he is getting older and injuries might be catching up. Plus they signed a younger version for cheaper. Overall good move
Rhodes: Good riddance, not worth the $$. Can't blame Spielman for that ones, overall great move
Waynes: I liked him, but NOT for that much $$. Good move not to match that contract.
Mac: Bad move IMO, should have kept him for the $$ he was offered. Only $4M??? Maybe there is something to the stories about him being disgruntled, but still...bad move
Kline: Bad move. Best G on the roster at a reasonable price. I get he wouldn't take a pay cut, but he shouldn't have had to.
Griffen: Mixed emotions. He is still effective, but he's getting old and his skills are definitely declining and he would have been expensive. Overall OK move, but I'll miss him

So IMO 3 good, 2 bad, 1 OK. I am still scratching my head about the Kline decision

Signed/Resigned
Pierce: Great move, love it
Wilson: what was it, a 2nd round tender? I like it. He has done well when given change
Harris: I like Harris, but $11M is a lot to pay a S in this system. I think it's harder to find a CB for this system than a S. Wish some of this $$ had gone to Mac

so IMO 2 good, 1 bad

Trade
Diggs: I loved Diggs, but under the circumstances I think Spielman did well to get what he did,so OK overall. The draft should be exciting this year.

agree or disagree, either way this team will look A LOT different next year.
Kline was our choice, but seems like Mac wasn't. Letting Kline go won't have that much impact, but it just makes zero sense. I don't get that one at all. Such an obvious player to keep for only 1.5 million. Cut him next year if you don't like him, but not this year for only 1.5 million.
0 x

User avatar
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3730
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Location: Hawaii
x 85

Re: 2020 Offseason News Thread (Signings, Coaching changes, etc.)

Post by 808vikingsfan » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:44 pm

VikingPaul73 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:18 am
My thoughts on the bigger moves so far.

Released
Joseph: Loved the guy, sad to see him go. But he is getting older and injuries might be catching up. Plus they signed a younger version for cheaper. Overall good move
Rhodes: Good riddance, not worth the $$. Can't blame Spielman for that ones, overall great move
Waynes: I liked him, but NOT for that much $$. Good move not to match that contract.
Mac: Bad move IMO, should have kept him for the $$ he was offered. Only $4M??? Maybe there is something to the stories about him being disgruntled, but still...bad move
Kline: Bad move. Best G on the roster at a reasonable price. I get he wouldn't take a pay cut, but he shouldn't have had to.
Griffen: Mixed emotions. He is still effective, but he's getting old and his skills are definitely declining and he would have been expensive. Overall OK move, but I'll miss him

So IMO 3 good, 2 bad, 1 OK. I am still scratching my head about the Kline decision

Signed/Resigned
Pierce: Great move, love it
Wilson: what was it, a 2nd round tender? I like it. He has done well when given change
Harris: I like Harris, but $11M is a lot to pay a S in this system. I think it's harder to find a CB for this system than a S. Wish some of this $$ had gone to Mac

so IMO 2 good, 1 bad

Trade
Diggs: I loved Diggs, but under the circumstances I think Spielman did well to get what he did,so OK overall. The draft should be exciting this year.

agree or disagree, either way this team will look A LOT different next year.
Not sure about Griff declining. He had a really good year in 2019, on par with his earlier good years. Wish they could have found some way to keep him.
1 x
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014

User avatar
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 902
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 10:38 am
Location: Saint Michael, MN
x 120

Re: 2020 Offseason News Thread (Signings, Coaching changes, etc.)

Post by Dames » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:27 pm

VikingsVictorious wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:19 am
Mothman wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:09 am
According to the transaction board at NFL.com, Danielle Hunter has signed a renegotiated contract with the Vikings.

http://www.nfl.com/transactions

Details don't seem to be out there yet but it seems likely they did something to free up cap space this year.
I read it's 7.8 million cap space freed up.
That's fantastic.
0 x
Damian

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 550
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 138

Re: 2020 Offseason News Thread (Signings, Coaching changes, etc.)

Post by VikingsVictorious » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:28 pm

Turns out that cutting Kline is actually saving 3.369 million. Had to be done before 1.8 million was guaranteed for this year and Vikings beat that clock.

more clarity on kline....


Chris Tomasson@christomasson
I stand corrected on this. #Vikings cut Josh Kline before the third day of new league year, when his $1.8 million was to be guaranteed for this season. So they carved out $3.369 million of cap room by releasing Kline.

Chris Tomasson@christomasson
Site OvertheCap has adjusted #Vikings salary cap page with clarification Josh Kline didn't get his $1.8 million guarantee for 2020 It lists Vikings as having $13.956 million of cap room with $2.666 million dead money on Kline That's before Rashod Hill deal
[/quote]
It makes a hell of a lot more sense now. Still doesn't sound right, but at least it's excusable.
0 x