Moves the Vikings should make for 2020

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Moves the Vikings should make for 2020

Post by CharVike »

Mothman wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:29 am
CharVike wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:01 amIMO we need to improve our D. Cousins did win a playoff game with a great drive at the end. He elevated the team for that game. Will it be every time? No. Only one team will make the show and every QB failed to elevate their team but one
That's not true. Elevating the team doesn't simply equate to "winning the Super Bowl". It means making the team better, bringing something more than just solid, functional performance to the position. When people refer to QBs that elevates their teams, they're talking about difference-makers, true impact players at the position. Wilson's a perfect example of that kind of player.

If a QB is the difference between a 6-10 team and a 10-6 team, he's still elevating that team, even if they don't win the Super Bowl.
Ok if we had the Sloter at QB I doubt we make the playoffs. So yes Cousins elevated our team.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:33 am
Mothman wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:29 am

That's not true. Elevating the team doesn't simply equate to "winning the Super Bowl". It means making the team better, bringing something more than just solid, functional performance to the position. When people refer to QBs that elevates their teams, they're talking about difference-makers, true impact players at the position. Wilson's a perfect example of that kind of player.

If a QB is the difference between a 6-10 team and a 10-6 team, he's still elevating that team, even if they don't win the Super Bowl.
Ok if we had the Sloter at QB I doubt we make the playoffs. So yes Cousins elevated our team.
Wins above replacement with a practice squad QB is probably not what he was getting at.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Mothman wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:35 am
VikingLord wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:51 pmSpeaking of which, which component(s) do you think are liabilities for the Vikings? Why didn't the Vikings get to the Superbowl this year?
Coaching and team-building top my list. In terms of specific areas of the roster, I'd focus on the line of scrimmage. That's where a lot of games are won and lost and the Vikings were inadequate there on both sides of the ball. They simply don't block well enough and they're too vulnerable to the run.

The secondary needs work too and Cousins' limitations as a QB suggest to me that he's only getting them to a Super Bowl if they can create a pretty ideal situation around him.
I agree with you, but I think it goes further than just infusing more talent. I know I keep harping on this, but the Vikings need to find not only more talent, but also more on-field leadership from that talent. I think they lack that right now, especially on the defensive side of the ball. There is plenty of talent there, but not a lot of leadership or accountability. Everytime I watched Rhodes pout or point the finger when he gave up a big play I kept hoping to see one of his teammates take him to task for it, but it didn't happen. He'd pay lip service to improving during interviews, but eventually Zimmer started rotating him out.

Rhodes, IMHO, is the type of player you don't want on your team, no matter how talented he is. You don't need pouters or guys who want to blame anyone but themselves when things go wrong. Also, that type of bad attitude is infectious. Once one guy starts doing that and getting away with it, others who are inclined to believe and act the same will start doing the same, either overtly or covertly.

In a way I'm kind of glad the Vikings are so hard-up against the cap this year because it gives Spielman the opportunity to clean house and put more thought into the players he finds to replace those who are leaving. Watch the tape. Talk to their coaches, their peers. Get an idea of what the guy is made of on the whole, not just what he's capable of physically. Find players who know how to dig down deep inside themselves and find their best in difficult situations. Find guys who inspire that in others too. That will take the team a lot farther than someone who runs a 4'4, weighs 350, or can bench 225 40 times, but quits when things get tough or blames anyone but himself when things go wrong.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:02 amI agree with you, but I think it goes further than just infusing more talent. I know I keep harping on this, but the Vikings need to find not only more talent, but also more on-field leadership from that talent.

I agree but I'd go even further than that. They need talent and they need player leadership but once they've identified those core players and team leaders, they need to build logically and effectively around them. How do you maximize their impact? How do you put leaders and other key players in the best situation to succeed?

I think this where the Vikings have fallen short for the last 12 or 13 years.
In a way I'm kind of glad the Vikings are so hard-up against the cap this year because it gives Spielman the opportunity to clean house and put more thought into the players he finds to replace those who are leaving.
Unfortunately, I doubt he'll do that. His approach is pretty well-defined at this point and I don't expect him to have an epiphany and vary from it.
Watch the tape. Talk to their coaches, their peers. Get an idea of what the guy is made of on the whole, not just what he's capable of physically. Find players who know how to dig down deep inside themselves and find their best in difficult situations. Find guys who inspire that in others too. That will take the team a lot farther than someone who runs a 4'4, weighs 350, or can bench 225 40 times, but quits when things get tough or blames anyone but himself when things go wrong.
Well said.
Passepartout
Backup

Post by Passepartout »

Clean up house and find ways of how players want to be there to win!
Ready for Halloween
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

This one is sure to start a firestorm ... just call me "The Arson."
Daily Norseman wrote:In the name of rampant speculation and total conjecture, however, Bill Barnwell of ESPN has put together a scenario where the Vikings do not go into 2020 with Cousins behind center, and instead get themselves a reunion with Teddy Bridgewater instead.

Barnwell has a look at how eight star NFL players could have wide-ranging effects on the rest of the league, depending on who they sign with. One of those players is quarterback Philip Rivers, who will be parting ways with the Los Angeles Chargers and heading into free agency. Here’s how Barnwell’s scenario works:

1. Rivers signs with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to take over as their starting quarterback, with the Bucs letting Jameis Winston go.
2. Minnesota then trades Cousins to the Chargers for a second-round pick in this year’s NFL Draft.
3. The Vikings then turn around and sign Bridgewater to a “$100 million deal.” I’m assuming that’s for four years, though Barnwell doesn’t specify. It would still put his cap figure for 2020 below what Cousins would be making.
This is what I love about the offseason (one of the few things I love about it).

You may now light each other on fire.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:42 am This one is sure to start a firestorm ... just call me "The Arson."
Daily Norseman wrote:In the name of rampant speculation and total conjecture, however, Bill Barnwell of ESPN has put together a scenario where the Vikings do not go into 2020 with Cousins behind center, and instead get themselves a reunion with Teddy Bridgewater instead.

Barnwell has a look at how eight star NFL players could have wide-ranging effects on the rest of the league, depending on who they sign with. One of those players is quarterback Philip Rivers, who will be parting ways with the Los Angeles Chargers and heading into free agency. Here’s how Barnwell’s scenario works:

1. Rivers signs with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to take over as their starting quarterback, with the Bucs letting Jameis Winston go.
2. Minnesota then trades Cousins to the Chargers for a second-round pick in this year’s NFL Draft.
3. The Vikings then turn around and sign Bridgewater to a “$100 million deal.” I’m assuming that’s for four years, though Barnwell doesn’t specify. It would still put his cap figure for 2020 below what Cousins would be making.
This is what I love about the offseason (one of the few things I love about it).

I think that's $100 million for one year...

Bridgewater gets a center on the field with him and two tackles and that's it because the Vikings can't afford to field any other offensive players. Despite this, he ends up throwing for 30 TDs (most to himself, but gets a few where the tackle(s) report eligible).

:rofl:
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:42 am This one is sure to start a firestorm ... just call me "The Arson."

It would depend on the contract. If we are talking 30 million guaranteed on that deal I do it in a minute. A 2nd round pick, a QB with actual potential, and likely 10+ million more in cap this season is well worth trading away a guy who is always going to be solid and healthy, but is never going to be good enough to make a team significantly better.

If we are talking 50+ million in guarantees no thanks. Too many question marks around him and that is a way too large of an investment.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:12 pm It would depend on the contract. If we are talking 30 million guaranteed on that deal I do it in a minute. A 2nd round pick, a QB with actual potential, and likely 10+ million more in cap this season is well worth trading away a guy who is always going to be solid and healthy, but is never going to be good enough to make a team significantly better.

If we are talking 50+ million in guarantees no thanks. Too many question marks around him and that is a way too large of an investment.
There are some rumors floating around that Bridgewater will get 30/year. I don't see how he quite pulls that off though since he hasn't been a full time starter in forever. But, whatever he gets, I'm going to assume an awful lot it will be guaranteed.

If your scenario played out and we only had to guarantee 30M of it, I might actually be interested in pursuing that too. I don't think Bridgewater is an improvement really, but it would free up some resources at least. It would also open up the door for being able to draft for the future more than if we extended Cousins.
Damian
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:35 am I think that's $100 million for one year...

Bridgewater gets a center on the field with him and two tackles and that's it because the Vikings can't afford to field any other offensive players. Despite this, he ends up throwing for 30 TDs (most to himself, but gets a few where the tackle(s) report eligible).

:rofl:
:lol:
Damian
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

If we're taking a saints QB I would prefer Taysom Hill. Even if he crashed and burned at QB, he's versatile enough that he can be used in many different ways on offense. Of course it all depends on what tender the Saints place on him. And of course the extremely unlikely event Cousins is dealt but I would do that over the trading for Teddy scenario.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

S197 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:29 pm If we're taking a saints QB I would prefer Taysom Hill. Even if he crashed and burned at QB, he's versatile enough that he can be used in many different ways on offense. Of course it all depends on what tender the Saints place on him. And of course the extremely unlikely event Cousins is dealt but I would do that over the trading for Teddy scenario.
Hill is a gadget player, not a QB. I would like him on the Vikings too, but in the same way the Saints use him, in the run game and as a TE and as an emergency QB.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

And now ... as I speculated weeks ago and was nearly laughed off the board ...
On his show today, Colin Cowherd has suggested that the #Vikings are looking to "move on" from wide receiver Stefon Diggs.
This is all over Twitter. Word is that Diggs is unhappy and wants out.

Obviously nothing has happened yet, but if it does ... well, I promise I won’t say I told ya so.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:58 pm And now ... as I speculated weeks ago and was nearly laughed off the board ...
On his show today, Colin Cowherd has suggested that the #Vikings are looking to "move on" from wide receiver Stefon Diggs.
This is all over Twitter. Word is that Diggs is unhappy and wants out.

Obviously nothing has happened yet, but if it does ... well, I promise I won’t say I told ya so.
I heard the same thing from a few other media guys.
I had a big long rant written out to post , but I just deleted it all and will keep it short and simple.
If it is true, and I wish it wasn't, but if Diggs is that unhappy and pouting, after we picked him, gave him the opportunity and a boatload of money, and is gonna become a distraction, then trade his ####. I'm personally sick of these types of guys.
Go get guys with mindset of Harry, Kendricks, Cook and many others like them. Guys who are studs, but just go out, play their #### off and put the team goals ahead of their egos.
That's the type of guys I want to see on our team. Screw the Its all about me guys.
I guess we will see how true this all is, but I think we all saw some of it last season with Diggs. At least it sure seemed like it to me.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:53 am
CharVike wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:33 am
Wins above replacement with a practice squad QB is probably not what he was getting at.
I know that. I only see one QB that's capable of elevating a team and that's Rodgers. That's a 4 win team that becomes a contender with him. Many feel Brees also does that but look closer and you will see Teddy won with that team and he blows. I know Grap didn't elevate that 49er team and if anything he held them back. This elevate stuff is way off the mark. Regardless of the QB he needs a team around him. The key is you can't have a bum at that position or the team is done. Like if we had Sloter playing. Cousin isn't a bum. Is he the best in the game? Nope there are better QBs, The guy for KC looks great. He didn't do crap in the Super Bowl until the 49ers ran out of gas and then he pulled them out. He had plenty of help also. First off they ran the ball at will. Look it up. For once we have bigger problems besides QB. I don't see the next Rodgers in this draft. This number one guy isn't close to him. That sums up the draft for this year. But I do like Eason.