Browns plan to hire Stefanski

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
TSonn
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1984
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:52 am
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
x 62

Re: Browns plan to hire Stefanski

Post by TSonn » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:09 pm

A little OT...

Did we ever get the full story of why Norv Turner quit mid-season? We can be upset about the lack of continuity on offense with 4 OCs under Zimmer, but 2 of those guys left directly because of Zimmer: Norv quit, DeFlip fired.
0 x

StumpHunter
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1527
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 173

Re: Browns plan to hire Stefanski

Post by StumpHunter » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:17 pm

TSonn wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:09 pm
A little OT...

Did we ever get the full story of why Norv Turner quit mid-season? We can be upset about the lack of continuity on offense with 4 OCs under Zimmer, but 2 of those guys left directly because of Zimmer: Norv quit, DeFlip fired.
Norv quit because he was going to be replaced by Shurmur, who was the better OC.

Two of Zimmer's OC's have been hired on by other teams to be head coaches. I don't think Zimmer is an issue.
0 x

RandyMoss84
Backup
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:12 pm
x 22

Re: Browns plan to hire Stefanski

Post by RandyMoss84 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:18 pm

I just saw that Stefanski wants Shumur as his offensive coordinator
0 x

RandyMoss84
Backup
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:12 pm
x 22

Re: Browns plan to hire Stefanski

Post by RandyMoss84 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:19 pm

TSonn wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:09 pm
A little OT...

Did we ever get the full story of why Norv Turner quit mid-season? We can be upset about the lack of continuity on offense with 4 OCs under Zimmer, but 2 of those guys left directly because of Zimmer: Norv quit, DeFlip fired.
Norvell’s time passed him by so he quit
0 x

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7398
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY
x 360

Re: Browns plan to hire Stefanski

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:19 pm

StumpHunter wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:36 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:40 pm


Kubiak has said he does not want to be head coach again due to his health issues so that is not happening
I don't understand the Kubiak love.

The offense got back to 2017 levels after spending the entire draft to "fix it", struggled more than the defense in the playoffs, and was ultimately not even close to being good enough.
Both the offense and defense were good enough to beat the saints. But neither were good enough to beat the 49ers.

As for the draft last year, I’m not really sure what position they would’ve looked to draft on the defensive side of the ball other than 3 tech early on. We thought they had every position filled with mostly good players. Our main problem on D this year was our corners. And if spielman drafted another CB early on, he might have been murdered by Vikings fans that night.

I don’t think we tried to “fix” the offense last draft. We just simply had more holes on that side of the ball than we did on the defensive side of the ball. I don’t think it had anything to do with kubiak being there or influencing it. We had nobody behind cook and a bad OL. I guess you could say the Smith pick might have been due to kubiak but so be it because it was a damn good pick IMO. The more I look at it and watch smith play the more I think he will have a better career than Hockenson and fant.
0 x
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri

User avatar
TSonn
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1984
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:52 am
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
x 62

Re: Browns plan to hire Stefanski

Post by TSonn » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:28 pm

StumpHunter wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:17 pm
TSonn wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:09 pm
A little OT...

Did we ever get the full story of why Norv Turner quit mid-season? We can be upset about the lack of continuity on offense with 4 OCs under Zimmer, but 2 of those guys left directly because of Zimmer: Norv quit, DeFlip fired.
Norv quit because he was going to be replaced by Shurmur, who was the better OC.

Two of Zimmer's OC's have been hired on by other teams to be head coaches. I don't think Zimmer is an issue.
Is that speculation or was there a report that Norv was told he was being replaced by Shurmur and chose to step down?

I'm not necessarily saying Zimmer is an issue for our OCs (though I do think there could be something there), but moreso my point was that Zimmer directly played a part in our lack of continuity on offense. He's to blame for 50% of the turnover.
0 x

User avatar
TSonn
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1984
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:52 am
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
x 62

Re: Browns plan to hire Stefanski

Post by TSonn » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:29 pm

RandyMoss84 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:19 pm
TSonn wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:09 pm
A little OT...

Did we ever get the full story of why Norv Turner quit mid-season? We can be upset about the lack of continuity on offense with 4 OCs under Zimmer, but 2 of those guys left directly because of Zimmer: Norv quit, DeFlip fired.
Norvell’s time passed him by so he quit
And then went on to be the OC for the Panthers. He didn't do well there, either, but that suggests he didn't really feel his time as an OC was done.
0 x

RandyMoss84
Backup
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:12 pm
x 22

Re: Browns plan to hire Stefanski

Post by RandyMoss84 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:36 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:19 pm
StumpHunter wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:36 pm


I don't understand the Kubiak love.

The offense got back to 2017 levels after spending the entire draft to "fix it", struggled more than the defense in the playoffs, and was ultimately not even close to being good enough.
Both the offense and defense were good enough to beat the saints. But neither were good enough to beat the 49ers.

As for the draft last year, I’m not really sure what position they would’ve looked to draft on the defensive side of the ball other than 3 tech early on. We thought they had every position filled with mostly good players. Our main problem on D this year was our corners. And if spielman drafted another CB early on, he might have been murdered by Vikings fans that night.

I don’t think we tried to “fix” the offense last draft. We just simply had more holes on that side of the ball than we did on the defensive side of the ball. I don’t think it had anything to do with kubiak being there or influencing it. We had nobody behind cook and a bad OL. I guess you could say the Smith pick might have been due to kubiak but so be it because it was a damn good pick IMO. The more I look at it and watch smith play the more I think he will have a better career than Hockenson and fant.
It is too early to say that Smith will have a better career than Hockenson and Fant, they are just in their rookie year, we will see who will have the better career once they retire from football
1 x

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7398
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY
x 360

Re: Browns plan to hire Stefanski

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:29 pm

RandyMoss84 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:36 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:19 pm


Both the offense and defense were good enough to beat the saints. But neither were good enough to beat the 49ers.

As for the draft last year, I’m not really sure what position they would’ve looked to draft on the defensive side of the ball other than 3 tech early on. We thought they had every position filled with mostly good players. Our main problem on D this year was our corners. And if spielman drafted another CB early on, he might have been murdered by Vikings fans that night.

I don’t think we tried to “fix” the offense last draft. We just simply had more holes on that side of the ball than we did on the defensive side of the ball. I don’t think it had anything to do with kubiak being there or influencing it. We had nobody behind cook and a bad OL. I guess you could say the Smith pick might have been due to kubiak but so be it because it was a damn good pick IMO. The more I look at it and watch smith play the more I think he will have a better career than Hockenson and fant.
It is too early to say that Smith will have a better career than Hockenson and Fant, they are just in their rookie year, we will see who will have the better career once they retire from football
Well sure but from overall athletic ability, Smith looks more promising than any. Detroit is where tight ends go to die. Fant looked decent. But Smith is like a WR and is a superior athlete to the other 2. The only thing holding him back is Rudy still being on the team IMO
0 x
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 38078
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL
x 272

Re: Browns plan to hire Stefanski

Post by Mothman » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:57 pm

TSonn wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:28 pm
Is that speculation or was there a report that Norv was told he was being replaced by Shurmur and chose to step down?
It's speculation. The full story has never really come out.

Personally, I suspect Turner felt undermined and left because it had become increasingly clear Zimmer wanted Shurmur as OC.
0 x

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7884
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
x 582

Re: Browns plan to hire Stefanski

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:28 pm

RandyMoss84 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:40 pm
Fran the Man wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:20 pm
Are we all convinced that Kubiak Sr. wouldn't be interested in the OC job? My take on the season, as far as the Stefanski/Kubiak Sr. relationship, I always felt Kubiak had the larger roll as far as setting up our Offense. I would love to see 'Senior' take the job. Hell, I wouldn't be disappointed if he took the Head coaching job.
Kubiak has said he does not want to be head coach again due to his health issues so that is not happening
Head coach, that's true.

Coordinator, that's not true.

He wanted to be the OC in Denver, but Vic Fangio wanted his own staff. That's why Kubiak left Denver and became available to the Vikings.

My personal feeling -- Mike Zimmer will make Gary Kubiak the OC in a heartbeat if Kubiak wants it.
0 x
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

cogitator
Starter
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:06 pm
Location: Denver
x 3

Re: Browns plan to hire Stefanski

Post by cogitator » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:32 pm

Broncos fired their OC today (Scangarello) so there will be a little more competition for whatever OC's are out there. Jason Garrett anyone? Saw him mentioned on some twitter thing for the Broncos.
0 x

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11952
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii
x 266

Re: Browns plan to hire Stefanski

Post by S197 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:32 pm

StumpHunter wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:43 pm
S197 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:39 pm


:lol:

It really is a factory of sadness there. Our two fan bases should start a joint support group.
I don't think they even come close to matching our levels of sadness. You actually have to have some success to experience real disappointment. All they know is badness, and are used to it by now.
It’s a reference to this:

https://youtu.be/tRBDMMVctu8
0 x

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7884
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
x 582

Re: Browns plan to hire Stefanski

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:34 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:29 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:36 pm


It is too early to say that Smith will have a better career than Hockenson and Fant, they are just in their rookie year, we will see who will have the better career once they retire from football
Well sure but from overall athletic ability, Smith looks more promising than any. Detroit is where tight ends go to die. Fant looked decent. But Smith is like a WR and is a superior athlete to the other 2. The only thing holding him back is Rudy still being on the team IMO
Dude, have you ever seen Noah Fant run? Fastest big man in the NFL, bar none. The week before the Vikings game, he scored a long TD and outran all the DBs. I mean, pulled away like a WR. Tight ends don't do that.

That being said, I love Irv Smith and think he's going to be a star for us. In fact, I'd say that if our offense shows improvement in '20, he's going to be a big reason. The tight end position in the NFL is a hard one mentally. Coaches call it "like drinking out of a fire hose." Second year, I suspect Smith will take a big step forward. He did a great job this year, but as he grows mentally and the game becomes less thinking and more reactionary, he's going to be amazing.
0 x
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

cogitator
Starter
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:06 pm
Location: Denver
x 3

Re: Browns plan to hire Stefanski

Post by cogitator » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:38 pm

From the Broncos beat reporter -

With Rich Scangarello fired league source says Vic Fangio will move fast to secure Pat Shurmur as Broncos new offensive coordinator. Shurmur has offers from multiple teams but Broncos are his top choice in large part because of talented young core led by Drew Lock.
0 x