Vikings Roster Review

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 905
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 10:38 am
Location: Saint Michael, MN
x 122

Re: Vikings Roster Review

Post by Dames » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:52 pm

808vikingsfan wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:53 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:31 pm
I am currently working on a mock offseason now. I've been working on it on and off all day. All I can say is WOW!! I am having some serious trouble on who to keep and who to let walk in free agency. Like you dont want to create more holes but you want to find ways to save money. Just crazy
Always look forward to this PHP. May differ on opinions but this is one thing I really enjoy reading.

Can you do a mock where we trade Cousins and a couple of future #1's for a shot at a top QB? kidding.
:lol:
0 x
Damian

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8014
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY
x 671

Re: Vikings Roster Review

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:32 pm

808vikingsfan wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:53 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:31 pm
I am currently working on a mock offseason now. I've been working on it on and off all day. All I can say is WOW!! I am having some serious trouble on who to keep and who to let walk in free agency. Like you dont want to create more holes but you want to find ways to save money. Just crazy
Always look forward to this PHP. May differ on opinions but this is one thing I really enjoy reading.

Can you do a mock where we trade Cousins and a couple of future #1's for a shot at a top QB? kidding.
Lol I’ll pass
0 x
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri

CharVike
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1156
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:28 pm
x 203

Re: Vikings Roster Review

Post by CharVike » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:40 pm

Dames wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:33 am
mansquatch wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:05 am

Reiff is likely a cap casualty.
Cutting Reiff would be a mistake. That's not a position that's easy to fill, and while he wasn't a world beater, he was definitely not the worst part of the line. I'm sure they'll approach him about a restructure, but if I were him, I probably wouldn't be too interested in that. In the end, they will probably be stuck with him cap number. I just can't see them cutting him and creating a worse mess. Of course, I think the line is not that far off as it is.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I certainly won't be happy if they just flat out cut him unless suddenly they have an immediate replacement.
Reilf will need to stay. I rag on him but he handles the normal guys fine. LT are hard to come by. Could O'neil move over there and create a situation were we can move on. O'neil is built more like a LT than RT. But maybe he doesn't have the movement. IDK.
0 x

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3832
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
x 115

Re: Vikings Roster Review

Post by mansquatch » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:33 am

After watching that game yesterday it was obvious that our pass rush has lost a step or two. We get pressure, but not like that 49ers unit gets pressure. Made me wonder if our defensive woes are all in the backfield or if it is combo platter of EG losing a step, the middle guys not being a major threat, and the secondary maybe not being as great as it previously was. It will be interesting to see how the defense holds up vs. KC and their combination of speed and Mahomes' playmaking.

My knee jerk is that this draft needs to address the trenches, specifically the interior trenches. I'm in line more with not letting Reiff go, only because the other needs are so great. Perhaps he is a candidate for restructure? EG definitely is, he isn't worth the
$13MM right now. Major needs right now: OG, 3 technique DT, young DE, and QB.

For a Guard I'd like to see them find somebody who is athletic, but can also move people. They need a guy who can not only block in space, but also move bodies.
0 x
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi

User avatar
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3180
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:07 pm
x 92

Re: Vikings Roster Review

Post by VikingPaul73 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:19 am

mansquatch wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:33 am
After watching that game yesterday it was obvious that our pass rush has lost a step or two. We get pressure, but not like that 49ers unit gets pressure. Made me wonder if our defensive woes are all in the backfield or if it is combo platter of EG losing a step, the middle guys not being a major threat, and the secondary maybe not being as great as it previously was. It will be interesting to see how the defense holds up vs. KC and their combination of speed and Mahomes' playmaking.

My knee jerk is that this draft needs to address the trenches, specifically the interior trenches. I'm in line more with not letting Reiff go, only because the other needs are so great. Perhaps he is a candidate for restructure? EG definitely is, he isn't worth the
$13MM right now. Major needs right now: OG, 3 technique DT, young DE, and QB.

For a Guard I'd like to see them find somebody who is athletic, but can also move people. They need a guy who can not only block in space, but also move bodies.
I agree on your list. I also think we need to draft a run stuffing DT as well. Joseph is getting old and we were abused in the running game too often this year.

But my guess is we will take a CB in the 1st round, but I suppose that depends on what they decide on Trae, Mack, and Rhodes.

So many needs...
0 x

User avatar
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 905
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 10:38 am
Location: Saint Michael, MN
x 122

Re: Vikings Roster Review

Post by Dames » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:53 am

mansquatch wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:33 am
My knee jerk is that this draft needs to address the trenches, specifically the interior trenches. I'm in line more with not letting Reiff go, only because the other needs are so great. Perhaps he is a candidate for restructure? EG definitely is, he isn't worth the
$13MM right now. Major needs right now: OG, 3 technique DT, young DE, and QB.

For a Guard I'd like to see them find somebody who is athletic, but can also move people. They need a guy who can not only block in space, but also move bodies.
That about sums it up.

I think OG is the absolute greatest need we have. I think there are a couple of FAs that are worth looking at too though, so it may not be necessary to rely on the draft.

Linval seems to have tailed off quite a bit, so it might be time to move on. We probably don't have someone on staff currently to replace him, although I think they liked Armon Watts before he got hurt.

If EG restructures, I'd be fine with DE. But, I might be counting on Ogdenibo too much.

QB.... well, I think we all want to draft one, but I won't be placing any wagers on it sadly. I hope I'm surprised though.
0 x
Damian

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 12270
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii
x 428

Re: Vikings Roster Review

Post by S197 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:18 pm

Dames wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:33 am
mansquatch wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:05 am

Reiff is likely a cap casualty.
Cutting Reiff would be a mistake. That's not a position that's easy to fill, and while he wasn't a world beater, he was definitely not the worst part of the line. I'm sure they'll approach him about a restructure, but if I were him, I probably wouldn't be too interested in that. In the end, they will probably be stuck with him cap number. I just can't see them cutting him and creating a worse mess. Of course, I think the line is not that far off as it is.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I certainly won't be happy if they just flat out cut him unless suddenly they have an immediate replacement.
They may not have a choice, the Vikings are dead last in cap space amongst the 32 teams. Actually, they don’t even have space, they’re over the cap by $10M. This is going to be an offseason of tough choices.
0 x

User avatar
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3180
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:07 pm
x 92

Re: Vikings Roster Review

Post by VikingPaul73 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:57 pm

Due to the cap situation and EG getting up there.....what are people’s’ thoughts on releasing EG and moving Barr to DE??

It would free up some space to address other needs and I’ve always thought Barr was somewhat miscast as a coverage 4-3 LB.

Of course that would create a hole at LB but Wilson has been solid and could be extended for a lot less than Griffen. Gonna have to make some hard choices this offseason

Thoughts?
0 x

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 38170
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL
x 327

Re: Vikings Roster Review

Post by Mothman » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:05 pm

VikingPaul73 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:57 pm
Due to the cap situation and EG getting up there.....what are people’s’ thoughts on releasing EG and moving Barr to DE??

It would free up some space to address other needs and I’ve always thought Barr was somewhat miscast as a coverage 4-3 LB.

Of course that would create a hole at LB but Wilson has been solid and could be extended for a lot less than Griffen. Gonna have to make some hard choices this offseason

Thoughts?
I'm not sure it makes sense to move him out of position at this point in his career, after grooming him all this time to be an LB in Zimmer's defense. I'd be more inclined to put Odenigbo in that spot and draft another DE. Barr could probably be an effective pass rusher from that spot though.

My concern with Barr or Odenigbo as starting RDEs would be their ability to set the edge against the run.
0 x

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3832
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
x 115

Re: Vikings Roster Review

Post by mansquatch » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:19 am

Barr is undersized to play DE in a 4-3. He could probably be a solid edge rusher in a 3-4, but that isn't the scheme Zimmer runs.

I think a lot of this talk is premature right now. A lot is going to change in March given their laundry list of free agents and the contracts that all but have to be redone. There could be a stubborn contract negotiation or unexpected cut that would dramatically reshape the draft needs. Coaching hires could also throw things for a loop.

In intend to sit back and watch and see who ends up where. Maybe Jay Gruden ends up as our OC?
0 x
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi

User avatar
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 905
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 10:38 am
Location: Saint Michael, MN
x 122

Re: Vikings Roster Review

Post by Dames » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:38 am

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:31 pm
I am currently working on a mock offseason now. I've been working on it on and off all day. All I can say is WOW!! I am having some serious trouble on who to keep and who to let walk in free agency. Like you dont want to create more holes but you want to find ways to save money. Just crazy
What's taking you so long? :confused:

Just kidding, I know you put a lot of work into it! :lol:
0 x
Damian

CanUDiggsIt?
Practice Squad
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:43 am
x 7

Re: Vikings Roster Review

Post by CanUDiggsIt? » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:42 am

Can someone tell me how Xavier Rhodes made the Pro Bowl as an alternate?? I could name countless players more deserving than him. At least this helps us make a trade easier?

Current Viking Pro Bowlers (8): RB Dalvin Cook, DE Danielle Hunter, SS Harrison Smith, QB Kirk Cousins, LB Eric Kendricks, FB C.J. Ham, DE Everson Griffen, CB Xavier Rhodes
0 x

User avatar
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 905
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 10:38 am
Location: Saint Michael, MN
x 122

Re: Vikings Roster Review

Post by Dames » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:48 am

CanUDiggsIt? wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:42 am
Can someone tell me how Xavier Rhodes made the Pro Bowl as an alternate?? I could name countless players more deserving than him. At least this helps us make a trade easier?

Current Viking Pro Bowlers (8): RB Dalvin Cook, DE Danielle Hunter, SS Harrison Smith, QB Kirk Cousins, LB Eric Kendricks, FB C.J. Ham, DE Everson Griffen, CB Xavier Rhodes
We look like one the best teams in the league now! Most of those players deserve to be there honestly, or at least in the conversation. Rhodes is there on name alone. There are definitely more deserving players, but PB voting is kinda messed up sometimes.
0 x
Damian

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8140
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
x 782

Re: Vikings Roster Review

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:12 am

Dames wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:48 am
CanUDiggsIt? wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:42 am
Can someone tell me how Xavier Rhodes made the Pro Bowl as an alternate?? I could name countless players more deserving than him. At least this helps us make a trade easier?

Current Viking Pro Bowlers (8): RB Dalvin Cook, DE Danielle Hunter, SS Harrison Smith, QB Kirk Cousins, LB Eric Kendricks, FB C.J. Ham, DE Everson Griffen, CB Xavier Rhodes
We look like one the best teams in the league now! Most of those players deserve to be there honestly, or at least in the conversation. Rhodes is there on name alone. There are definitely more deserving players, but PB voting is kinda messed up sometimes.
It is, but ... 2/3 of the vote weighting comes from players and coaches. Somehow I don't think fans voted Xavier Rhodes into the game.

Here's a funny irony. Kick returners such as Cordarrelle Patterson are named to the Pro Bowl ... only they don't do kickoffs in the Pro Bowl.

Salary trivia. The winners of the Pro Bowl get $69,000 each (that's more than the losers of the Super Bowl get ($56,000)). Losers of the Pro Bowl get $37,000. Until 1976, the winners of the SUPER BOWL got $15,000 and $7,500, respectively.
0 x
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8014
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY
x 671

Re: Vikings Roster Review

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:43 pm

Dames wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:38 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:31 pm
I am currently working on a mock offseason now. I've been working on it on and off all day. All I can say is WOW!! I am having some serious trouble on who to keep and who to let walk in free agency. Like you dont want to create more holes but you want to find ways to save money. Just crazy
What's taking you so long? :confused:

Just kidding, I know you put a lot of work into it! :lol:
:lol: :lol: Dude, this cap situation is killing my brain. I've gotten through most of it so far. Nearing the end of free agency with some 1 year deals and then onto the draft. Not too much longer I hope
0 x
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri