Vikings Roster Review

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3076
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:07 pm
x 45

Re: Vikings Roster Review

Post by VikingPaul73 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:54 am

well, this will be an interesting offseason, that's for sure.
The big question is - do they think they are on the cusp of a Superbowl? If the answer is "Yes", they will try to re-work, re-structure, let Brzezinski work his magic, keep together as much of the old guard on Defense as possible, plug some gaping holes on the OL, and try to make 1 more run on the last season of Cousins' contract.
If the answer is "No" then we will part ways with a lot of familiar faces on D (Rhodes, Joseph, Griffen, Waynes, try to trade Harry??) and usher in a youth movement on defense.
Personally, I would love to see a youth movement on D. They really wore down this year and I think age had a lot to do with it. Rhodes was a liability this year. They were awful against the run and a lot of that is due to Joseph. Griffen is still productive but definitely overpaid with declining skills. We need a youth injection on defense.
1 x

User avatar
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4069
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
x 126

Re: Vikings Roster Review

Post by fiestavike » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:57 am

VikingPaul73 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:54 am
well, this will be an interesting offseason, that's for sure.
The big question is - do they think they are on the cusp of a Superbowl? If the answer is "Yes", they will try to re-work, re-structure, let Brzezinski work his magic, keep together as much of the old guard on Defense as possible, plug some gaping holes on the OL, and try to make 1 more run on the last season of Cousins' contract.
If the answer is "No" then we will part ways with a lot of familiar faces on D (Rhodes, Joseph, Griffen, Waynes, try to trade Harry??) and usher in a youth movement on defense.
Personally, I would love to see a youth movement on D. They really wore down this year and I think age had a lot to do with it. Rhodes was a liability this year. They were awful against the run and a lot of that is due to Joseph. Griffen is still productive but definitely overpaid with declining skills. We need a youth injection on defense.
I agree. They aren't going to get anywhere by 'keeping the group together'. This group lacks the fire and attitude to take it to the next level. Maybe that's on Zimmer, I don't know. Maybe the team has taken on his personality and its just not aggressive enough. They got humiliated and exposed as a soft team a number of times this year.
0 x

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7398
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY
x 360

Re: Vikings Roster Review

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:58 am

VikingPaul73 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:54 am
well, this will be an interesting offseason, that's for sure.
The big question is - do they think they are on the cusp of a Superbowl? If the answer is "Yes", they will try to re-work, re-structure, let Brzezinski work his magic, keep together as much of the old guard on Defense as possible, plug some gaping holes on the OL, and try to make 1 more run on the last season of Cousins' contract.
If the answer is "No" then we will part ways with a lot of familiar faces on D (Rhodes, Joseph, Griffen, Waynes, try to trade Harry??) and usher in a youth movement on defense.
Personally, I would love to see a youth movement on D. They really wore down this year and I think age had a lot to do with it. Rhodes was a liability this year. They were awful against the run and a lot of that is due to Joseph. Griffen is still productive but definitely overpaid with declining skills. We need a youth injection on defense.
Letting griffen, Joseph and Harry go and you might as well rebuild the entire defense because there goes all your veteran leadership. And you aren’t rebuilding that in one year, let alone 2-3
0 x
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri

User avatar
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4069
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
x 126

Re: Vikings Roster Review

Post by fiestavike » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:07 am

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:58 am
VikingPaul73 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:54 am
well, this will be an interesting offseason, that's for sure.
The big question is - do they think they are on the cusp of a Superbowl? If the answer is "Yes", they will try to re-work, re-structure, let Brzezinski work his magic, keep together as much of the old guard on Defense as possible, plug some gaping holes on the OL, and try to make 1 more run on the last season of Cousins' contract.
If the answer is "No" then we will part ways with a lot of familiar faces on D (Rhodes, Joseph, Griffen, Waynes, try to trade Harry??) and usher in a youth movement on defense.
Personally, I would love to see a youth movement on D. They really wore down this year and I think age had a lot to do with it. Rhodes was a liability this year. They were awful against the run and a lot of that is due to Joseph. Griffen is still productive but definitely overpaid with declining skills. We need a youth injection on defense.
Letting griffen, Joseph and Harry go and you might as well rebuild the entire defense because there goes all your veteran leadership. And you aren’t rebuilding that in one year, let alone 2-3
I'd keep Harrison Smith, Eric Kendricks, Danielle Hunter. After that, gotta start developing and retaining new talent.
1 x

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7398
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY
x 360

Re: Vikings Roster Review

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:23 am

fiestavike wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:07 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:58 am


Letting griffen, Joseph and Harry go and you might as well rebuild the entire defense because there goes all your veteran leadership. And you aren’t rebuilding that in one year, let alone 2-3
I'd keep Harrison Smith, Eric Kendricks, Danielle Hunter. After that, gotta start developing and retaining new talent.
How are you going to “keep” those guys but flush everyone else out? Dump Harris? Dump Barr? Let’s our CBs walk? Why don’t we just blow up everyone. Sorry but it’s just not realistic
0 x
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri

kidfozzy.
Rookie
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:18 pm
x 3

Re: Vikings Roster Review

Post by kidfozzy. » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:48 am

I’m all in on the rebuilding phase, trade everyone not named Cook, Hunter and Kendricks (yes, even Harry Hitman).

Draft Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields by any means necessary.

Zygi Wilf will never do this and this team will stagnate for the next 2-3 seasons.
0 x

User avatar
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4069
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
x 126

Re: Vikings Roster Review

Post by fiestavike » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:27 am

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:23 am
fiestavike wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:07 am


I'd keep Harrison Smith, Eric Kendricks, Danielle Hunter. After that, gotta start developing and retaining new talent.
How are you going to “keep” those guys but flush everyone else out? Dump Harris? Dump Barr? Let’s our CBs walk? Why don’t we just blow up everyone. Sorry but it’s just not realistic
You have a profound ability to get the wrong end of the stick.

Anyway, I'd be open to hearing offers on Barr. I doubt we can keep Harris given what the market might offer him, but sure, if he's affordable, keep him. If Waynes wants a short term deal, keep him. If we already have enough cap space and want to keep rhodes for a year more, fine. The point is to be building for 3-5 years out, not trying to keep everyone together for one more futile run at the Super Bowl.
1 x

User avatar
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4069
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
x 126

Re: Vikings Roster Review

Post by fiestavike » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:29 am

kidfozzy. wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:48 am
I’m all in on the rebuilding phase, trade everyone not named Cook, Hunter and Kendricks (yes, even Harry Hitman).

Draft Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields by any means necessary.

Zygi Wilf will never do this and this team will stagnate for the next 2-3 seasons.
If we signal a rebuild, I wonder if Kirk would waive his no trade clause. Having extra ammo to trade up in the draft and select a QB this year would be intriguing to explore.
0 x

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7398
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY
x 360

Re: Vikings Roster Review

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:41 am

kidfozzy. wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:48 am
I’m all in on the rebuilding phase, trade everyone not named Cook, Hunter and Kendricks (yes, even Harry Hitman).

Draft Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields by any means necessary.

Zygi Wilf will never do this and this team will stagnate for the next 2-3 seasons.
10-6 playoff teams rarely “rebuild” or “trade everyone”. I feel like this is a classic end of season overreaction and simply unrealistic. The bengals are in rebuild mode. Not the Vikings
1 x
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7398
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY
x 360

Re: Vikings Roster Review

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:45 am

fiestavike wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:27 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:23 am


How are you going to “keep” those guys but flush everyone else out? Dump Harris? Dump Barr? Let’s our CBs walk? Why don’t we just blow up everyone. Sorry but it’s just not realistic
You have a profound ability to get the wrong end of the stick.

Anyway, I'd be open to hearing offers on Barr. I doubt we can keep Harris given what the market might offer him, but sure, if he's affordable, keep him. If Waynes wants a short term deal, keep him. If we already have enough cap space and want to keep rhodes for a year more, fine. The point is to be building for 3-5 years out, not trying to keep everyone together for one more futile run at the Super Bowl.
Ok man, spielman says every year that when they draft, hand out contracts, etc they look ahead 3 years, not just that specific year. How many players on average does a team trade in the offseason? Under 1 on average? For those saying trade this guy and that guy, it’s just simply not going to happen
0 x
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri

User avatar
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4069
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
x 126

Re: Vikings Roster Review

Post by fiestavike » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:46 am

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:45 am
fiestavike wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:27 am


You have a profound ability to get the wrong end of the stick.

Anyway, I'd be open to hearing offers on Barr. I doubt we can keep Harris given what the market might offer him, but sure, if he's affordable, keep him. If Waynes wants a short term deal, keep him. If we already have enough cap space and want to keep rhodes for a year more, fine. The point is to be building for 3-5 years out, not trying to keep everyone together for one more futile run at the Super Bowl.
Ok man, spielman says every year that when they draft, hand out contracts, etc they look ahead 3 years, not just that specific year. How many players on average does a team trade in the offseason? Under 1 on average? For those saying trade this guy and that guy, it’s just simply not going to happen
Nobody is saying it is.
0 x

User avatar
Maelstrom88
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 783
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:38 am
x 80

Re: Vikings Roster Review

Post by Maelstrom88 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:53 am

When I look at Rhodes contract the first year we could cut him with no dead cap is 2022. They could save 11 million in 2021 with a hit of 2 I believe. This leads me to believe he will be back. Also, Zimmer made a comment a few weeks back that he didn't have any problems with his play.

So my question is do you guys think he can bounce back and be a respectable CB or if they lose Harris would they consider Rhodes at Safety? With how much he criticizes the play of the safeties when he gets beat one can only assume he would play perfectly back there! :flamed:
0 x
Offseason Goal: Draft durable, tough, intelligent offensive lineman who are dependable technicians and avoid penalties aka drive killers. Wonderlic scores matter.

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7398
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY
x 360

Re: Vikings Roster Review

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:55 am

fiestavike wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:46 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:45 am


Ok man, spielman says every year that when they draft, hand out contracts, etc they look ahead 3 years, not just that specific year. How many players on average does a team trade in the offseason? Under 1 on average? For those saying trade this guy and that guy, it’s just simply not going to happen
Nobody is saying it is.
Yeah but they are saying it should. And I’m simply saying it’s unrealistic . I get discussing the roster in the offseason but calling out rebuild mode and trading everyone including our towel boy is quite over the top if you ask me. I guess I should expect this because it’s the same thing at the end of every season on here. Like I’m just as frustrated as anyone but let’s keep a level head here guys
0 x
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri

User avatar
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4069
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
x 126

Re: Vikings Roster Review

Post by fiestavike » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:09 pm

Maelstrom88 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:53 am
When I look at Rhodes contract the first year we could cut him with no dead cap is 2022. They could save 11 million in 2021 with a hit of 2 I believe. This leads me to believe he will be back. Also, Zimmer made a comment a few weeks back that he didn't have any problems with his play.

So my question is do you guys think he can bounce back and be a respectable CB or if they lose Harris would they consider Rhodes at Safety? With how much he criticizes the play of the safeties when he gets beat one can only assume he would play perfectly back there! :flamed:
Rhodes could bounce back. I particularly think he could bounce back on another squad where he could play closer to the edge, and play with a little more ego and a little less discipline.
1 x

User avatar
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4069
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
x 126

Re: Vikings Roster Review

Post by fiestavike » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:12 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:55 am
fiestavike wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:46 am


Nobody is saying it is.
Yeah but they are saying it should. And I’m simply saying it’s unrealistic . I get discussing the roster in the offseason but calling out rebuild mode and trading everyone including our towel boy is quite over the top if you ask me. I guess I should expect this because it’s the same thing at the end of every season on here. Like I’m just as frustrated as anyone but let’s keep a level head here guys
I think most of us who are frustrated are not so much frustrated with the loss yesterday, but with how far this team is from serious contention. I allowed myself enough hope to say, 'you never know', but at no point did I think this Vikings team had a realistic shot at a championship this year.

What is particularly level about a head which seeks to repeat a 'winning season' that has no realistic hope of being a championship season? I don't think that's a level head.
0 x