Kyle Sloter Interview

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Kyle Sloter Interview

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

808vikingsfan wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:05 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:14 pm Kyle Sloter ended the season as the backup to David Blough. And the Lions never put him in a game.

Can the myth please end?
I think joining the team in DEC had something to do with that.
OMG are you serious? The groupies on the Kyle Sloter Apology Tour are out in full force.

You know what, man? The media in Detroit were calling for him to start, too.

I have no idea why so many people are so fixated on a guy who has NO STATS on pro football reference. He’s never taken a snap. If I were a betting man, I’d wager a paycheck that, 5 years from now, his cumulative stats will mirror what they are right now.

Give it a rest, y’all.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:15 pm

OMG are you serious? The groupies on the Kyle Sloter Apology Tour are out in full force.

I have no idea why so many people are so fixated on a guy who has NO STATS on pro football reference. He’s never taken a snap. If I were a betting man, I’d wager a paycheck that, 5 years from now, his cumulative stats will mirror what they are right now.

Give it a rest, y’all.
Fans who don't trust the upside of their current starting QB to be a Super Bowl victory, are always going to be enthralled with a guy who has proven less -- and by proving less still maintains the possibility in their mind of having a higher ceiling than the guy in that spot. I think there is a certain sense to that. Everything Sloter showed in preseason was good. That's all there is to go on is the upside. Of course Sloter is a lottery ticket, but he's not a scratch off you found in the parking lot which is already a dud, or even a 5 dollar bill...he is possibility! Let people have their fun.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Passepartout
Backup

Post by Passepartout »

He does have a lot of potential over on it. Just needs to catch on with a team!
Ready for Halloween
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

fiestavike wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:24 pm

Give it a rest, y’all.
Fans who don't trust the upside of their current starting QB to be a Super Bowl victory, are always going to be enthralled with a guy who has proven less -- and by proving less still maintains the possibility in their mind of having a higher ceiling than the guy in that spot. I think there is a certain sense to that. Everything Sloter showed in preseason was good. That's all there is to go on is the upside. Of course Sloter is a lottery ticket, but he's not a scratch off you found in the parking lot which is already a dud, or even a 5 dollar bill...he is possibility! Let people have their fun.
This is fun?

I guess it’s fun if your real agenda is yet another misguided shot at the organization.

The entire “interview” consisted of a nobody vlogger with the same organizational beefs asking leading questions trying his very best to get Kyle Sloter to slam the front office, coaching staff, etc. I give Sloter credit ... he didn’t take the bait, other than to repeat the age-old Uncle Rico ”I didn’t get the chance” complaint that every wannabe quarterback lodges. He didn’t get any more reps in Denver, Arizona or Detroit than he got in Minnesota, yet somehow the Vikings jobbed him?

Here’s a question. Why does pro quarterback Kyle Sloter grant an interview to a guy who lives in his parents’ basement? Because nobody in the actual media cares.

But please. Have your fun.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Give it a rest, y’all.
Wait. Wha? Doesn't it take a while to learn a playbook? It's not like Sloter is a seasoned vet. He's an undrafted QB trying to make a team with very limited PT. Blough has been on the team the entire season. Why wouldn't they start Blough over Sloter?

Don't know where your attitude came from but whatever.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:40 pm
fiestavike wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:24 pm

This is fun?

I guess it’s fun if your real agenda is yet another misguided shot at the organization.

The entire “interview” consisted of a nobody vlogger with the same organizational beefs asking leading questions trying his very best to get Kyle Sloter to slam the front office, coaching staff, etc. I give Sloter credit ... he didn’t take the bait, other than to repeat the age-old Uncle Rico ”I didn’t get the chance” complaint that every wannabe quarterback lodges. He didn’t get any more reps in Denver, Arizona or Detroit than he got in Minnesota, yet somehow the Vikings jobbed him?

Here’s a question. Why does pro quarterback Kyle Sloter grant an interview to a guy who lives in his parents’ basement? Because nobody in the actual media cares.

But please. Have your fun.
Settle down.

I'm not talking about the interview, which i haven't heard, and have no intention of listening to. I'm just saying fans who want their team to at least scratch the ticket before they drop it in the parking lot aren't crazy lunatics. The jackpot on said ticket is a million bucks. Sure its 10,000,000 to 1, but most of us would bother to scratch it before we drop it. Teams might have more information, but based on all we've seen from Sloter (which amounts to preseason), and the first scratch off field saying 'Jackpot', what the hell, people want to scratch off the other two and see if its a winner. Its fun, generally speaking, to have players to pull for who are the longshots, who haven't made it yet, who might yet make it big. For those that like Sloter, what's the great harm?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:16 am "They didn't give me a chance."

Let's see. Where have I seen this before?

How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?... Yeah... Coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we would've been state champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

808vikingsfan wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:45 pm

Give it a rest, y’all.
Wait. Wha? Doesn't it take a while to learn a playbook? It's not like Sloter is a seasoned vet. He's an undrafted QB trying to make a team with very limited PT. Blough has been on the team the entire season. Why wouldn't they start Blough over Sloter?

Because I dont get why we're continuing to talk about this guy! I'm with Kapp 100%. If we cut this guy and he was on another team and starting and making us look bad, sure start a thread on him and say we're idiots. But my goodness, the guy has been on two teams since we let him go. And guess what, he wont be starting next year either. He's never going to unseat Stafford. And my guess is, when Patricia is fired next year, the new regime will end up cutting Sloter.

I listened to the interview. According to his story does it sound like he was given a fair shot vs. Mannion? No probably not. But I've discussed this before on here. I remember just about everyone on this board including myself complaining about Spielman when he signed Keenum as the backup. And look what Keenum ended up doing. Granted I think 90% of Keenum's season was very luck based but he ended up being a very solid backup clearly. Do I think Mannion is any good? No. I dont think Keenum is any good either. These guys are backups for a reason and it's because they wouldnt make very good starters. Now I get that Sloter is young and you could "develop" him but I'd rather develop someone via the draft anyways (which Spielman has yet to do). Either way, Sloter clearly wasnt the answer and if he was, you'd see him doing something somewhere. The guy was a preseason hero and we're acting like we lost the next Peyton Manning. Mike Boone was a preseason hero and there is a reason he was our 3rd string RB and we drafted Mattison (sorry YikesVikes).

I always said I've never seen a QB get so much praise by doing so little for this team than Teddy Bridgewater. But Sloter has now surpassed Bridgewater in that sense. He hasnt even taken a damn snap and fans wont stop talking about him. I think it was Kapp that said the guy is fricken interviewing with a guy working out of his parents basement. This is very similar to that whole story about Bo Levi Mitchell. That guy cant even make an NFL roster and Sloter hasnt taken an NFL snap and guys are complaining about Spielman and Zimmer and their judgement of talent. You guys can question Spielman and Zimmer's judgement of talent in this regard when Mitchell and/or Sloter actually do something in this league which I can tell you wont happen. But until then, I'm sorry but you guys dont have a clue when it comes to this.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Give it a rest, y’all.

My attitude stems from thread after thread being started about a guy who has never taken a snap in a regular season NFL game. It comes from the implication that Spielman, Zimmer and company don’t know what they’re doing based on their cutting of Kyle Sloter. It’s a weird obsession.

But whatever.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

I don't think anyone in this thread is being unreasonable in questioning the Vikings' choice for QB2 or their fondness for Sloter. I think Boone's ability to shine in the preseason and look lackluster in the regular season is a good parallel case. But it's not like Mannion gives us anything at the position.

Personally, I would have enjoyed seeing Sloter play the Bears in the final game. I suspect he'd have played better than Mannion did.

Lastly, if some posters are engaging in dialogue you view as silly, you don't HAVE to participate. And if you do, be mature and considerate. Telling other Vikings' fans that they (we?) don't have a clue is out of line, rude, and not what this board used to be about.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Texas Vike wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:51 am I don't think anyone in this thread is being unreasonable in questioning the Vikings' choice for QB2 or their fondness for Sloter. I think Boone's ability to shine in the preseason and look lackluster in the regular season is a good parallel case. But it's not like Mannion gives us anything at the position.

Personally, I would have enjoyed seeing Sloter play the Bears in the final game. I suspect he'd have played better than Mannion did.
If you are only going to keep 2 QBs, I can see going with the more knowledgeable option at QB 2, but I would much rather have seen Sloter against the bears than Mannion.

Sloter has never been one of my favorite dark horses on the roster, but I have my own (Aviante Collins, Kearse, Odenigbo, David Morgan, etc.) some of whom have panned out, and some of whom I probably can't even recall the names of.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:41 am

My attitude stems from thread after thread being started about a guy who has never taken a snap in a regular season NFL game. It comes from the implication that Spielman, Zimmer and company don’t know what they’re doing based on their cutting of Kyle Sloter. It’s a weird obsession.

But whatever.
An obsession I find weird is the hypersensitivity to critiques of team leaders. I was the one who questioned Zimm's handling of QB2, but I'm also the one who wrote about my opinion being changed by watching a TC practice. Please don't depict me as some frothing at the moth Sloter-head. OTOH, allow me to question the team leaders' handling of important positions. I liked your uncle Rico gif, BTW, bc it's an appropriate and funny connection... But please, chill out and tolerate other opinions. I nearly always enjoy reading yours, even if I don't share it.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Texas Vike wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:51 am I don't think anyone in this thread is being unreasonable in questioning the Vikings' choice for QB2 or their fondness for Sloter. I think Boone's ability to shine in the preseason and look lackluster in the regular season is a good parallel case. But it's not like Mannion gives us anything at the position.

Lastly, if some posters are engaging in dialogue you view as silly, you don't HAVE to participate. And if you do, be mature and considerate. Telling other Vikings' fans that they (we?) don't have a clue is out of line, rude, and not what this board used to be about.
I didn't think Mannion looked that bad. His numbers were terrible, but a lot of that was from drops and bad luck. He didn't do anything really well, but he also didn't do anything poorly. Pretty solid considering his #1 WR was a practice squad guy.

I would be okay with him coming back on the cheap.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

The only reason we have these conversations is because Rick is adamant about running with a castoff backup and a UDFA long shot 3rd stringer. Year after year. He’ll draft an ILB to convert to FB, drop mid round picks on kickers and punters, but won’t use one of his 85 draft picks on the off chance he finds a decent backup or potentially future starter in the draft. Even if the odds are low, the position is far too important to not take some shots. The Redskins did it with some Cousins guy.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:41 am

But whatever.
Zimmer expressed how a #2QB needs to know his place. We find out from the interview Sloter never really had a shot at #2. I made a comment. What's the problem? Like PHP, you need to chill and let others express their opinion without the ridicule.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014