Packer Post Game Postings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Packer Post Game Postings

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

S197 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:43 pm Saw a lot of comments on social media about Cousins missing open receivers, especially Thielen. Came across this:

Link to video: https://mobile.twitter.com/arifhasannfl ... 3415399424

It’s just one play but validates what I saw in person at the KC game. Cousins does have a tendency to miss guys and prematurely check down. I don’t know how many of these plays were on Cousins vs the line or play calling. This isn’t only a knock on Cousins, if they knew he was skittish in the pocket they should have invested more in the O-line. The interior of the line is really bad and Rick didn’t address that position until very late in the draft the first year Cousins was here. And then they proceeded to cut the guy and have him picked up by another team. Much more emphasis this past draft but it remains to be seen if guys like Samia and even Bradbury pan out. It’s crucial they do because it’s pretty obvious Reiff needs to be replaced now too. Hopefully they don’t pick another Remmers or Clemmings.
I get what you’re saying but I’ve addressed this before on here, I can literally go look at any game film for any single QB in the nfl this year and find WRs they’ve missed that were wide open. I’ve already done it on here with Rodgers. The reason this is on social media is because they wanna find ways to blame cousins for the loss. You see this on social media every time we lose. Did we ever see this on social media when we win? No. Never. But I can guarantee if I look at even some of his better games like Philly and Dallas, I could find a WR he could hit that was open.

To add onto that, we as fans and spectators have no idea what number read these guys were. Maybe they were first read, maybe they were 4th read, we have no idea. But this happens all the time with even the best QBs in the nfl. Literally all 5 of our losses stuff like this pops up on social media because cousins is one of the most criticized QB in the nfl, if not the most criticized.

I’m not saying by any means that cousins played well because he didn’t at all. But it drives me nuts seeing this because it’s every damn loss we have. I can guarantee I can go look at Rodgers loss to the 49ers and find plenty of open WRs, or Wilson’s loss to the cardinals, or Brees loss to the falcons, etc. It’s just they are already labeled as “winners” so you don’t see that criticism when they lose. Cousins isn’t labeled a winner, gets bashed after any loss, is criticized over his contract, has a million narratives that say he can’t win this or can’t win that. So people hunt for this shi#. When in the end, they don’t have a clue what they are talking about or have a clue what the play call was.

And ya know what, yeah cousins played poorly. OL was clearly a huge factor but all reasons aside, this was his first truly “bad” game in how long? Since week 4? So honestly, it’s sucks but I’ll take it. I’d rather it happen now than the playoffs. I think we match up well vs the saints if that’s who we catch. And I like our chances vs SF if we win. So that’s what I’m going to focus on
Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

PHP
But it's also important not to get caught up in those facts and ignore Cousins' bad play.
Missed opportunities are exactly that and it's a negative.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

halfgiz wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:17 am PHP
But it's also important not to get caught up in those facts and ignore Cousins' bad play.
Missed opportunities are exactly that and it's a negative.
I hear ya but again, he’s not the only QB that has missed opportunities. And Thielen could’ve easily been a 4th read on that play. We don’t know. Cousins said diggs deep TD vs denver was a play where diggs was the 4th read and that on that specific play, that read is hardly ever open but was on that play. Cousins also rolled out on that play and had plenty of time to scan the field. This is why I didn’t understand the play calling Monday. We are an offense that goes deep often and are very successful at it. To send guys deep and keep cousins inside the pocket arguably the most they have in any game this season, with this porous OL, baffles me.

And on a side note: I could sit here and say we probably had points coming if Thielen made that catch on the deep ball cousins threw to him earlier on. That’s a missed opportunity. The OL playing horrible probably added up to plenty of missed opportunities. Having a 3rd string RB in led to plenty of missed opportunities, made play action a complete non factor and forced us to become one dimensional. Having our OC overthink himself, not utilizing roll outs nearly as often, not using screens at all and burying his QB in the pocket all game led to plenty of missed opportunities. Add in any missed opportunities cousins himself had. Point is, there were missed opportunities all over the place. Not just a few screen shots that cousins “missed” on.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

S197 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:43 pm Saw a lot of comments on social media about Cousins missing open receivers, especially Thielen. Came across this:

It’s just one play but validates what I saw in person at the KC game. Cousins does have a tendency to miss guys and prematurely check down. I don’t know how many of these plays were on Cousins vs the line or play calling. This isn’t only a knock on Cousins, if they knew he was skittish in the pocket they should have invested more in the O-line. The interior of the line is really bad and Rick didn’t address that position until very late in the draft the first year Cousins was here. And then they proceeded to cut the guy and have him picked up by another team. Much more emphasis this past draft but it remains to be seen if guys like Samia and even Bradbury pan out. It’s crucial they do because it’s pretty obvious Reiff needs to be replaced now too. Hopefully they don’t pick another Remmers or Clemmings.
On this play there is a deep safety who comes up aggressively post-snap. It's possible, even likely, that Cousins mentally checked the Thielen route off his Christmas shopping list based on what he saw pre-snap.

But I can't fully fault Cousins for that, because in order for him to keep that route on his shopping list he would have needed an extra shopping second in the pocket, one he didn't get due to Reiff being steamrolled backwards by Zadarius Smith. I think Cousins felt that pressure and checked it down.

Also of note on the play, another Vikings receiver (Diggs?) fell down coming out of his break. Footing in those climate controlled, domed stadiums in December can be tricky... :confused:

Last of note was the lack of any route run by Rudolph. He stays in to block the LB who doesn't rush. When the LB doesn't rush, Rudolph doesn't block. Both stand there for the most part. My thought watching that is "this is a pro offense, right?" Can't Rudolph check the LB for a rush, and if no rush, run a route? Provide an option? Heck, if he checks the rush and the guy rushes he can slow him down and get into a route that would be wide open since there are no other Packer defenders on that side. I see zero risk in allowing Rudolph to become a viable receiver on that play.

Not that it would have mattered necessarily, but come on... This is the sort of thing that drives me nuts. Use every option you have to create as many problems and threats to the defense that you can on every play. If this is typical of the Vikings offensive scheme, and I have no reason to believe it isn't, no wonder they can't move the ball more effectively against better defenses.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Ugh, yeah, I remember they did a replay from the QB perspective on this play and I saw Thielen wide open. Pretty sure I mentioned it in the game chat.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I'm getting to this late, but here is my take on the game:

The RB Depth beneath Cook/Mattison is not great. It was obvious from the get go that the offensive staff did not have the confidence in our 3rd/4th RB to run the same type of game plan that has worked against an aggresive DL all season ie. out passes and screens. With that aspect of our offense removed, the GB DL was able to punish our OL since they didn't have to fear getting gashed by our RB.

Defensively it was annoing to watch Davante Adams continue to catch balls. Everyone knows he is their best WR. Why weren't we doubling him up and forcing Rogers to beat us with lesser WR agianst our secondary? Still, that being said, I think the TOP was the real culprit here.You can't let the team have the ball for 40 minutes. That is loses almost 100% of the time.

My take from watching the game was that the staff knew that if their RB couldn't deliver early this would be a challenging game for them. They obviously rely on the talent at that position to elevate the rest of the offense, especially the pass protection. (Consider that vs. SEA we did fine against the likes of Clowney and Ansah. But the Smith Brothers were able to overwhelm us? What is the difference?) In addition, while Diggs is a great WR, we desparately needed another WR to come on and at least so far, Thielen just isn't at the level the VIkings need him to be. After the 1st QTR when it was obvious that Boone/Abdullah were not on the level of Cook/Mattison the game turned into something of a pre-season game in which we watched an offense that was basically just "trying stuff". Trick plays, end around to Thielen, were all goofy play calls.

As annoying as it was to watch, I think they mailed it in after the 1st QTR. They knew they were not going to get it done against the Packers front absent better RB Play. A tell IMO was how they quickly shelved Kendricks despite a relatively minor injury. I think they figured it was unlikely to get the win vs. GB and even more unlikely that GB would lose to DET. So regardless of outcome they are the 6th seed. So at that point they just went into protective mode and tried to end the game quickly. i susepct we'll see them use this week as a defacto playoff bye week to rest as many starters as possible.

All that being said, they havne't proved it all season. They will face their toughest challenge in the wild card round, likely heading to NO to face a challenging Saints squad. I think they can win it, but I get why most will say iti s likely one and done. Everything this team has shown this season says that.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:07 am

I get what you’re saying but I’ve addressed this before on here, I can literally go look at any game film for any single QB in the nfl this year and find WRs they’ve missed that were wide open. I’ve already done it on here with Rodgers. The reason this is on social media is because they wanna find ways to blame cousins for the loss. You see this on social media every time we lose. Did we ever see this on social media when we win? No. Never. But I can guarantee if I look at even some of his better games like Philly and Dallas, I could find a WR he could hit that was open.

To add onto that, we as fans and spectators have no idea what number read these guys were. Maybe they were first read, maybe they were 4th read, we have no idea. But this happens all the time with even the best QBs in the nfl. Literally all 5 of our losses stuff like this pops up on social media because cousins is one of the most criticized QB in the nfl, if not the most criticized.

I’m not saying by any means that cousins played well because he didn’t at all. But it drives me nuts seeing this because it’s every damn loss we have. I can guarantee I can go look at Rodgers loss to the 49ers and find plenty of open WRs, or Wilson’s loss to the cardinals, or Brees loss to the falcons, etc. It’s just they are already labeled as “winners” so you don’t see that criticism when they lose. Cousins isn’t labeled a winner, gets bashed after any loss, is criticized over his contract, has a million narratives that say he can’t win this or can’t win that. So people hunt for this shi#. When in the end, they don’t have a clue what they are talking about or have a clue what the play call was.

And ya know what, yeah cousins played poorly. OL was clearly a huge factor but all reasons aside, this was his first truly “bad” game in how long? Since week 4? So honestly, it’s sucks but I’ll take it. I’d rather it happen now than the playoffs. I think we match up well vs the saints if that’s who we catch. And I like our chances vs SF if we win. So that’s what I’m going to focus on
You can make the same argument about playcalling. What if Thielen was the first read? All we see is the checkdown on TV but it was a good playcall. He was open.

It's impossible to know for certain who bears the most blame but is it really the OC? We literally go through one a year, maybe that's not the problem. And maybe it's not even Cousins, it could be Zimmer telling him to be ultra conservative. We simply don't know.

But we can make reasonable assumptions. It's hard to ignore Cousins primetime record, or wins against good teams, or Monday night football. One or two a trend does not make but 0-9? There's a common denominator there.

We invested a lot in a lot of people who simply aren't performing to expectations. Cousins isn't the only one but he's on the list. It's nice he put together wins against the laughable NFC East and subpar teams like Denver and San Diego. But he needs to show he can play that way against good competition as well.

Like I've been saying, I think we need a leadership change and that starts with the front office but Cousins simply hasn't lived up to his contract either.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:25 pm

You can make the same argument about playcalling. What if Thielen was the first read? All we see is the checkdown on TV but it was a good playcall. He was open.

It's impossible to know for certain who bears the most blame but is it really the OC? We literally go through one a year, maybe that's not the problem. And maybe it's not even Cousins, it could be Zimmer telling him to be ultra conservative. We simply don't know.

But we can make reasonable assumptions. It's hard to ignore Cousins primetime record, or wins against good teams, or Monday night football. One or two a trend does not make but 0-9? There's a common denominator there.

We invested a lot in a lot of people who simply aren't performing to expectations. Cousins isn't the only one but he's on the list. It's nice he put together wins against the laughable NFC East and subpar teams like Denver and San Diego. But he needs to show he can play that way against good competition as well.

Like I've been saying, I think we need a leadership change and that starts with the front office but Cousins simply hasn't lived up to his contract either.
I beg to differ on cousins contract. Go back to what kapp posted regarding that and how it shows he’s technically outplaying his contract. Not on Monday night obviously but this season he has. Cousins doesn’t make our schedule. We play who we play. You can’t fault him for beating teams he should beat. Although those games weren’t necessarily a walk in the park either. No game in the nfl is IMO
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

It goes beyond Cousins. If anything he's lifted a team with probably below average talent to a playoff game. The Pack beat us out for the title. They have better overall talent which they proved. 99 % on this board believes the Pack suck and are playing beyond their talent. If they suck how bad are we. Both games the Pack destroyed our D. We couldn't beat them if we had Brady. And most on this board feel we have great talent. That's way beyond how I feel. No 1 our LT is as bad as I have ever seen. That guy can't block at all. No 2 our defense blows against above average teams. They get destroyed. They proved that in the NFC champ game 2 years ago. They allowed the Pack on Monday to pound the ball down their throats. Anyone realize how bad that is. Our secondary will get ripped apart by a decent QB. So Monday Cousins lost. Maybe if our D showed up we would have a chance. The 1st time around 21-0 right off the bat. Very few QBs can overcome that on the road. I'm not looking it up but I would like to know how many times QBs have over come 21 point deficit. Drew Brees who's considered one of the best ever lost to us in the playoffs and we had a back up bum QB playing. That's one of the best losing on prime time to a team with a so so D and no QB. Talk about an overpaid loser stiff. Then Foles is considered an all time winner. Well what happened this year? Foles sucks and had a 3 game hot streak. Signed a big contract also.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:59 pm

It goes beyond Cousins. If anything he's lifted a team with probably below average talent to a playoff game. The Pack beat us out for the title. They have better overall talent which they proved. 99 % on this board believes the Pack suck and are playing beyond their talent. If they suck how bad are we. Both games the Pack destroyed our D. We couldn't beat them if we had Brady. And most on this board feel we have great talent. That's way beyond how I feel. No 1 our LT is as bad as I have ever seen. That guy can't block at all. No 2 our defense blows against above average teams. They get destroyed. They proved that in the NFC champ game 2 years ago. They allowed the Pack on Monday to pound the ball down their throats. Anyone realize how bad that is. Our secondary will get ripped apart by a decent QB. So Monday Cousins lost. Maybe if our D showed up we would have a chance. The 1st time around 21-0 right off the bat. Very few QBs can overcome that on the road. I'm not looking it up but I would like to know how many times QBs have over come 21 point deficit. Drew Brees who's considered one of the best ever lost to us in the playoffs and we had a back up bum QB playing. That's one of the best losing on prime time to a team with a so so D and no QB. Talk about an overpaid loser stiff. Then Foles is considered an all time winner. Well what happened this year? Foles sucks and had a 3 game hot streak. Signed a big contract also.
Below average talent?

This is pretty much the same team that carried Case Keenum to 13 wins only this one has a better line and run game.

They are not as good in the secondary on D, but the rest of that defense is dang close to 2017.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:17 pm
CharVike wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:59 pm
Below average talent?

This is pretty much the same team that carried Case Keenum to 13 wins only this one has a better line and run game.

They are not as good in the secondary on D, but the rest of that defense is dang close to 2017.
You're right it close. The D collapsed starting the 2nd half against Brees and then Foles did what he wanted. That 13 win season was a great accomplishment there is no doubt about it. Look at their record against winning teams. If they played any. We beat the Packers twice which is also a tremendous achievement. We shut them out. If our D did that this year we would be in business. Thing is their QB in now playing. That 13 win season I thought it was ours. Everything broke right including a magical ride from a backup QB. Your correct about the secondary also. Our safeties are good. But we don't have a CB anymore that's worth anything. If we offered them in a trade no team would step up. That says it all. It's hard to win that way.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:59 am
StumpHunter wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:17 pm

Below average talent?

You're right it close. The D collapsed starting the 2nd half against Brees and then Foles did what he wanted. That 13 win season was a great accomplishment there is no doubt about it. Look at their record against winning teams. If they played any. We beat the Packers twice which is also a tremendous achievement. We shut them out. If our D did that this year we would be in business. Thing is their QB in now playing. That 13 win season I thought it was ours. Everything broke right including a magical ride from a backup QB. Your correct about the secondary also. Our safeties are good. But we don't have a CB anymore that's worth anything. If we offered them in a trade no team would step up. That says it all. It's hard to win that way.
The defense is 4th in turnovers this year. I believe that should make them the 4th best D in your eyes, no?

The D did not fall apart versus the Saints. A blocked punt and a Case Keenum int got the Saints back in that game.

Versus the Eagles, they certainly had their way with us...and then went on to have their way with the Pats.