NFL Top 100 - No Peterson

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: NFL Top 100 - No Peterson

Post by fiestavike »

CanUDiggsIt? wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:40 am AP was one of the most talented RB's the NFL has ever seen. He has put up HOF numbers behind mostly a putrid OL his entire career. Emmitt Smith ran behind the greatest OL of all time, and AP STILL has the better yards per carry average in a "PASSING LEAGUE".
Let that sink in...
There is no doubt in my mind that Peterson should be on this list, not ahead of Smith (was using him as reference) but definitely ahead of guys like Earl Campbell.
eh...no.

Emmitt Smith is way behind Campbell. Peterson is somewhere in between the two.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

fiestavike wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:48 pm
CanUDiggsIt? wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:40 am AP was one of the most talented RB's the NFL has ever seen. He has put up HOF numbers behind mostly a putrid OL his entire career. Emmitt Smith ran behind the greatest OL of all time, and AP STILL has the better yards per carry average in a "PASSING LEAGUE".
Let that sink in...
There is no doubt in my mind that Peterson should be on this list, not ahead of Smith (was using him as reference) but definitely ahead of guys like Earl Campbell.
eh...no.

Emmitt Smith is way behind Campbell. Peterson is somewhere in between the two.
Agree. Emmitt was great but his supporting cast was fantastic. Peterson flat out carried this franchise for a few years. I really value yards per carry, yards after contact, and 2,000 yard seasons. Peterson is probably the last of the bellcow backs this league will ever have. He definitely deserved to be on that list. I'm very surprised at how long Frank Gore has played and how good he still is. I'm hoping AP has a few more good seasons in him. I think he does physically it's just a matter of whether or not a team will let him be that guy.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:48 am
CharVike wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:14 pm It's all opinion based. Jim Brown had 1500 yards in a 12 game season. Had an 83 yard TD reception. Plus he won an NFL championship. He was a monster and could take it the distance. He's an old timer that could play today. That's my No 1. Peterson one year suspension was probably on peoples minds that made the list. To me that shouldn't matter.
Perfectly said. It truly is an opinion based topic. There are so many what ifs, and how each person views the RBs being discussed.
It also has alot to do with our age and wha eras we witnessed. Alot of the younger members on this board, and I'm not in that group anymore, didn't get to watch Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Eric Dickerson, and hate to bring him up but O.J. , etc during careers. They just see the highlights that are shown to represent their play. Those of us that did remember so many more memories of plays than the plays shown on the highlight reels.
Conversely, talk to my dad, my uncle, my grandpa when he was still alive , those guys got to witness Jim Brown, and the unfortunate short career of Gale Sayers. My dad will rattle off RB after RB , all the way up to the current players, and he will tell you , definitively, that to him Jim Brown was the baddest RB to ever play. He still laughs when he talks about how many defenders "just happened to slip and fall" or just make a half assed attempt and trying to tackle Brown.
I myself live to watch footage of Brown. That was a bad man. I would love to be able somehow transport him to this era, with all the fitness technology and the off season programs available today and see Brown in today's NFL. Can u imagine what that specimen of nature would be like today with all the technology at his disposal. He was a beast back then, I cant imagine what he would be today with his genetic make up and the benefit of the tools that are now available.
I guess the main thing is , as said, it does come down to personal opinions. But all these guys were very talented, amazing athletes with their own distinct styles. Its fun watching the amazing things that they all do.
And yes, A.P. also fits into that category. He is a an amazing physical talent, and I am glad that we were fortunate to have been the team who drafted him and that I was able to witness the amazing stuff he does. The guys poster still hangs in my Viking man cave, along side my Eller, Page and Tark posters from when I was a kid.
I never saw Brown play either and I just threw my comments in there about him based on what people told me as a kid when I started to watch football. I just looked up his highlights for the hell of it and the dude would run guys over. He would knock them backwards. Guys were scared of him. A true monster. Plus he never missed a game. That's the great thing about Youtube. You can see basically anything which is cool. .
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

CharVike wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:28 pm
Bowhunting Viking wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:48 am

Perfectly said. It truly is an opinion based topic. There are so many what ifs, and how each person views the RBs being discussed.
It also has alot to do with our age and wha eras we witnessed. Alot of the younger members on this board, and I'm not in that group anymore, didn't get to watch Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Eric Dickerson, and hate to bring him up but O.J. , etc during careers. They just see the highlights that are shown to represent their play. Those of us that did remember so many more memories of plays than the plays shown on the highlight reels.
Conversely, talk to my dad, my uncle, my grandpa when he was still alive , those guys got to witness Jim Brown, and the unfortunate short career of Gale Sayers. My dad will rattle off RB after RB , all the way up to the current players, and he will tell you , definitively, that to him Jim Brown was the baddest RB to ever play. He still laughs when he talks about how many defenders "just happened to slip and fall" or just make a half assed attempt and trying to tackle Brown.
I myself live to watch footage of Brown. That was a bad man. I would love to be able somehow transport him to this era, with all the fitness technology and the off season programs available today and see Brown in today's NFL. Can u imagine what that specimen of nature would be like today with all the technology at his disposal. He was a beast back then, I cant imagine what he would be today with his genetic make up and the benefit of the tools that are now available.
I guess the main thing is , as said, it does come down to personal opinions. But all these guys were very talented, amazing athletes with their own distinct styles. Its fun watching the amazing things that they all do.
And yes, A.P. also fits into that category. He is a an amazing physical talent, and I am glad that we were fortunate to have been the team who drafted him and that I was able to witness the amazing stuff he does. The guys poster still hangs in my Viking man cave, along side my Eller, Page and Tark posters from when I was a kid.
I never saw Brown play either and I just threw my comments in there about him based on what people told me as a kid when I started to watch football. I just looked up his highlights for the hell of it and the dude would run guys over. He would knock them backwards. Guys were scared of him. A true monster. Plus he never missed a game. That's the great thing about Youtube. You can see basically anything which is cool. .
My thoughts exactly Charvike. I was born just a little late to witness his greatness. But first and foremost I trusted my dad's, uncle's, grandpa's and other older fans first hand opinion of him. I just remember the stories and the highlights of him. Now thanks to YouTube and other means of seeing his footage I have to agree. Like my dad always said, he was like watching a man playing with a bunch of kids. The guy was amazing. I always loves the story he told about once when a defender stuck his fingers in Browns facemask and Brown bit his fingers. Afterwards Jim Brown said listen.. everything outside my uniform is all the opponents. Everything inside is mine. Lol. What a bad ####.
And besides, he retired early in his terms and he was great in the dirty dozen lol.
The guy was a beast no matter what era he would have played in.
BtW, if I'm not making sense I'm sorry. I just came home from a buddy's retirement party and we broke out some really good Imperial Stout at the end. So I hope I'm making sense
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!