Lions @ Vikings - Pregame Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Lions @ Vikings - Pregame Thread

Post by fiestavike »

Tark wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:41 pm Sorry, but this is the type of game we lose. Highly favored at home against an inferior team (see Buffalo 2018), I hope I'm wrong but I've been a fan so long I know to take nothing for granted with these guys. :govikes:
I agree. I expect 2-2 over the next 4 games. We'll lose to either GB or CHI and cough up one game that shouldn't be close.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Purplepain2018
Backup

Post by Purplepain2018 »

This is a major trap game for the Vikings and the ones they tend to lose. Just look at the Broncos game a couple of weeks ago and then the famous Buffalo game from last year. I think Zimmer will have them ready for this game. Detroit is 3-8-1 for a reason, but Vikings still have to put the pedal to the metal.

The Vikings have GOT to find a WR opposite Stefon Diggs to take some of the double teams off of him. I don't know who that might be: Johnson, Hollins, Treadwell.

Does anyone know the timeline for Chad Beebe coming back?

Whatever happened to Josh Doctson? Is he still on the team?
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:37 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:01 pm
I keep having this recurring nightmare.

We're blasting the Lions 31-0 halfway through the third quarter when Zimmer pulls all our starters. Cousins, Cook, Rhodes (two picks, including a pick-6 ... I know, quite a dream), Harry, Griffen ... on the sideline, shoulder pads off, laughing it up, drinking beer, taking selfies with StumpHunter.

Just then, Kyle Sloter comes in to face our third-stringers ... and brings the Lions back to life. A quick score, a turnover, another score, and suddenly we've got a game. Mannion is out there with no clue. His helmet communicator doesn't work, but he doesn't realize the coaches can talk with him because he's never been in a real game. So instead he draws up plays in the dirt, going, "Trust me guys, we ran this on the scout team with McVay ... it's fool-proof." And he just keep turning the ball over. Zimmer's face turns as red as a fire truck. He's losing his mind ... throwing his headset and ripping up his defensive play sheet that reporters later discover has only two plays on it. Finally one of his bum eyeball pops right out of his head, just like Any Given Sunday.

Suddenly it's 31-28 with 6 seconds left when Detroit recovers an onside kick after putting 10 guys on one side of the ball, clearly cheating. Gary Kubiak, who had to take over for the one-eyed Zimmer, gets the refs to review it, but Pete Morelli comes out from the replay monitor and says, "After further review, screw it ... these are the Vikings we're talking about ... Detroit's ball!" Then with one second left, Sloter drops back to throw a Hail Mary but instead takes off running ... and pulls a Michael Vick. He runs right through the entire Vikings defense, waving at the 5 yard line to Holton Hill (who's firing up a blunt) as he scores the winning touchdown. Joe Buck is calling the game: "Sloter ... sideline ... touchdown ... Lions win it!" It's the Minneapolis Miracle in reverse. The Lions come out for the extra point, and Sloter is there at the two yard line, under center, wearing No. 7, leading the SKOL chant. All the Case Keenum groupies have collected in the south end zone, clapping with Sloter. But Kyle is defiant. "I am greater than he," Sloter screams, meaning Keenum, of course.

Then I wake up.

Dang it! This stupid message board and all its fatalistic Vikings fans ... I'm losing my mind. Therapy needed.
:lol: :lol: :lol: if there was a voting on here for post of the year, this would win by a mile
I've often wondered how a guy gets published on Deadspin or one of those other satire sites. I love doing this stuff.

Had another thought. The defensive play sheet with two plays. "Blitz. Don't blitz."

And maybe a handwritten note, "When in doubt, use eeny-meeny-miney-moe."
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

Purplepain2018 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:32 am This is a major trap game for the Vikings and the ones they tend to lose. Just look at the Broncos game a couple of weeks ago and then the famous Buffalo game from last year. I think Zimmer will have them ready for this game. Detroit is 3-8-1 for a reason, but Vikings still have to put the pedal to the metal.
So much doom and gloom around here. Relax everyone. This isn't the type of game we are losing this year. That's all that matters. What happened in year's past has no bearing on this year. I'm not concerned. We'll take care of business on Sunday. If we drop this one, then we somehow broke this week. We haven't lost to a bad team yet, why would we start now in week 13? If we had blown out Seattle last week, I might be concerned that we'd overlook the Lions... but I don't think our guys are going to be feeling overconfident, that's for damn sure.
Purplepain2018 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:32 am The Vikings have GOT to find a WR opposite Stefon Diggs to take some of the double teams off of him. I don't know who that might be: Johnson, Hollins, Treadwell.

Beebe is out for the year apparently. They cut Doctson last week. We're stuck with Treadwell and Johnson until Thielen gets healthy. Hopefully that's before we play the Packers.
Damian
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:01 pm
Dames wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:26 pm
Right, it will be because Sloter comes off the bench and ruins us.
I keep having this recurring nightmare.

We're blasting the Lions 31-0 halfway through the third quarter when Zimmer pulls all our starters. Cousins, Cook, Rhodes (two picks, including a pick-6 ... I know, quite a dream), Harry, Griffen ... on the sideline, shoulder pads off, laughing it up, drinking beer, taking selfies with StumpHunter.

Just then, Kyle Sloter comes in to face our third-stringers ... and brings the Lions back to life. A quick score, a turnover, another score, and suddenly we've got a game. Mannion is out there with no clue. His helmet communicator doesn't work, but he doesn't realize the coaches can talk with him because he's never been in a real game. So instead he draws up plays in the dirt, going, "Trust me guys, we ran this on the scout team with McVay ... it's fool-proof." And he just keep turning the ball over. Zimmer's face turns as red as a fire truck. He's losing his mind ... throwing his headset and ripping up his defensive play sheet that reporters later discover has only two plays on it. Finally one of his bum eyeball pops right out of his head, just like Any Given Sunday.

Suddenly it's 31-28 with 6 seconds left when Detroit recovers an onside kick after putting 10 guys on one side of the ball, clearly cheating. Gary Kubiak, who had to take over for the one-eyed Zimmer, gets the refs to review it, but Pete Morelli comes out from the replay monitor and says, "After further review, screw it ... these are the Vikings we're talking about ... Detroit's ball!" Then with one second left, Sloter drops back to throw a Hail Mary but instead takes off running ... and pulls a Michael Vick. He runs right through the entire Vikings defense, waving at the 5 yard line to Holton Hill (who's firing up a blunt) as he scores the winning touchdown. Joe Buck is calling the game: "Sloter ... sideline ... touchdown ... Lions win it!" It's the Minneapolis Miracle in reverse. The Lions come out for the extra point, and Sloter is there at the two yard line, under center, wearing No. 7, leading the SKOL chant. All the Case Keenum groupies have collected in the south end zone, clapping with Sloter. But Kyle is defiant. "I am greater than he," Sloter screams, meaning Keenum, of course.

Then I wake up.

Dang it! This stupid message board and all its fatalistic Vikings fans ... I'm losing my mind. Therapy needed.
Classic, man! :lol:
Damian
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Purplepain2018 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:32 am This is a major trap game for the Vikings and the ones they tend to lose. Just look at the Broncos game a couple of weeks ago and then the famous Buffalo game from last year. I think Zimmer will have them ready for this game. Detroit is 3-8-1 for a reason, but Vikings still have to put the pedal to the metal.

The Vikings have GOT to find a WR opposite Stefon Diggs to take some of the double teams off of him. I don't know who that might be: Johnson, Hollins, Treadwell.

Is Adam even coming back? He said he needs to be 100%. When will that be? April? We need to coach up. Use two extra OL guys. Don't even throw. Do another Falcon gig. Passing will almost be impossible to a WR. We only have one guy that should be in the NFL. Doctson was cut. Treadwell was cut and never picked up. Now our LT won't play. Cousins will be lucky to make it out of this one if we throw downfield. Like what's been said all year this will come down to our D. We are facing a team with QBs that shouldn't be playing. Passing shouldn't even exist. We should get some picks. See if Zim can outcoach this guy. But were lucky with the fact the Lions don't care. A win at this point is a loss. A loss of draft position. I was hoping they could rest Cook. That can't happen now.
Fat Stupid Loser
Starter

Post by Fat Stupid Loser »

Dames wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:58 pm DNP:
Thielen and Joseph

Limited:
Cook, Griffen, Wilson, Smith and Stephen

Get healthy guys. We'll need you soon.
Thielen must have really ripped that hammy.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Fat Stupid Loser wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:41 am
Dames wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:58 pm DNP:
Thielen and Joseph

Limited:
Cook, Griffen, Wilson, Smith and Stephen

Get healthy guys. We'll need you soon.
Thielen must have really ripped that hammy.
Looks like Joseph may have come back too early last week?
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

All indications are that Thielen is expected back next week. Hope he is back and healthy. Hamstrings are the worst. I've had issues for years, but I'm a lot older too. We need him down the stretch and in the playoffs.
Damian