The Rise of Dalvin Cook

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

The Rise of Dalvin Cook

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Guys, here's an absolutely great article by Bruce Kluckhohn of Sports Illustrated. It's a deep dive into the person of Dalvin Cook, and the real story behind all the off-field rumors that followed him from Florida State.

An excerpt:
Bridgewater was the Vikings’ starting quarterback when Cook was drafted, and he remembers that weekend well. He made his demand immediately after the draft: The rookie’s locker had to be right next to his own. The two have known each other since they were kids; Bridgewater grew up in Miami’s Liberty City neighborhood, near Opa-Locka. He played peewee football with Cook’s older brother, and Cook’s mom was a parent volunteer for the cheerleaders.

“I had heard about all the red flags and things like that, so I just wanted to prepare him for what was in store,” Bridgewater says. “Having that home field, that guy next to you from the same neighborhood,—we continue to motivate each other. So I said, I need him right next to me.”

On the other side of Cook was then-39-year-old cornerback Terence Newman, who was surprised to learn of any controversy surrounding Cook (“I was impressed with his maturity from Day One, he was one of the model rookies”). The Vikings PR staff was prepared to undertake a reputation reclamation project, but soon found that Cook, introspective and serious, didn’t require any extra maintenance.
Link to the article. Definitely worth the time to read.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
S197
Fenrir

Re: The Rise of Dalvin Cook

Post by S197 »

From what I recall, a lot of the character concerns were overblown or well in the past as the article alludes. I think the concerns with Dalvin was his injury history and ball security. He’s done very well securing the football, the injury concern has some validity. It’s clear the talent is there, I think if he can remain healthy he will have an amazing career. He has one more year under contract and then things will get very interesting but I’m definitely enjoying the ride.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

S197 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:16 pm From what I recall, a lot of the character concerns were overblown or well in the past as the article alludes. I think the concerns with Dalvin was his injury history and ball security. He’s done very well securing the football, the injury concern has some validity. It’s clear the talent is there, I think if he can remain healthy he will have an amazing career. He has one more year under contract and then things will get very interesting but I’m definitely enjoying the ride.
The bottom line is Cook is a dam good back. He can do it all. Young people do some things that can cause concerns. He has done nothing since he's been here. He will be ranked right up there with the best we have had if he stays healthy. He's fun to watch.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

I vividly remember the draft day when we selected Cook. I love watching the draft and always take the Friday after the draft off so I can stay up and watch it all and then all the " experts " analysis and grading etc for the 1st night. Then get. Ready for night 2.
I remember as he was slipping they started talking about the huge red flags and past troubles etc.
Then they told some of his MAJOR issues
Well.. he was involved in a fistfight that started a brawl in a bowling alley as a freshman in HS. He was involved in breaking a window of a business as a Jr. High student. Man everything they rattled off was just stupid stuff that I did myself as a kid that age.
Most of the stuff was attributed to a few of the guys he ran with
I remember Spielman in an interview after the pick saying they had interviewed and I interviewed him and his family, talked to teachers and coaches etc and had realized he wasn't the horrible kid he was painted to be. Part of his stipulation on being chosen was that he would leave those old friends behind and start a life in Minny.
And man has he. The kid has turned out to be not just a gem on the field, an absolute stud, but also by all accounts a model citizen and teammate. Not an ounce of trouble.
Man to me that's awesome. I love it hes one of the absolute best RBs in the league for sure, but I'm even happier watching a kid come in under such a cloud of scrutiny and prove them all so wrong.
I know there are guys who come into the NFL with baggage. Many times it comes back and they prove the concerns were warranted.
So far with Cook, I've seen nothing to confirm the the pre draft concerns.
I see a hard working, focused beast of a back who is giving us a very important dimension to our O and a humble , hard working and very well liked teammate and member of the community.
Keep it up 33. Im.glad we picked "Such a character concern" . As far as Im " Concerned " so far he has shown great character
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

My son is a big Florida State fan so I saw him play pretty much in college. When draft time came, my son kept telling me that I should wish for the Vikings to get him. Truthfully, though I was impressed with his play I college, I didn't see the running back that I am seeing now. Quote possibly the best RB in the NFL right now.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Honestly, I knew nothing about Cook when the Vikings drafted him. I guess I just hadn't paid any attention to Florida State. Then I saw the tape. You could see the burst, the suddenness, the acceleration. My biggest concern, beyond any off-field issues, was durability. I had read he'd been dinged up in college, and he looked small to me.

Man, has this guy obliterated any concerns I had at the time. Do you guys remember his first NFL game? Against the Saints. He had 22 carries for 127 yards, the most ever by a Viking in his debut. He looked like the fastest guy on the field. He had an excellent game against Tampa Bay, 97 on the ground and 72 receiving, and was on his way to another 100-yard game against Detroit when the ACL gave way. I remember how devastated I was. We finally had a true every down back, and he was done.

So glad he's rebounded so well. And that worry I had about him looking small? Dude is flat-out tough to bring down and delivers serious lumber in the open field. I think he's the best back in football. A lot of people like McCaffrey, but Dalvin blows his doors off. The Panthers just use McCaffrey a lot, which is why he's leading the way statistically. McCaffrey's good, but Dalvin is next level, a threat to go to the house every time he touches it. I love his patience, then boom! He plants that foot and goes. I can't remember how many times I've gone, "Oh ... he almost broke that one!" still gaining 10 or 12 yards.

With Thielen back, I'm hoping teams can't load the box like they've been doing. It's just plan fun to watch this guy when he's got a little room to run.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.