Silly QB wish thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Silly QB wish thread

Post by Dames »

Okay, this is meant to just be a fun exercise. I don't want any off-beat discussions on how great or crappy Cousins is. Just your list please. You can add reasons why if you want. It can be anyone active or about to be drafted... i.e. no pulling Favre out of retirement.

Active QBs I would rather have over Cousins:
1. Mahomes - Obviously. The guy is a rare talent, and he's young.
2. Russell Wilson - I think he is a winner, and I think he could do amazing things with the talent we have.
3. D. Watson - Another young talented guy. Not on par with Mahomes, but he's very good.
4. Brees - Damn fine QB. Would love to have him for a last hurrah.
5. Tom Brady - look, I realize he's having a bad year, but he is clearly a very talented QB. There are rumors he is going to test FA next year. I'd take a chance on him for a year or 2 if given the option, but it's clearly a stop-gap. Might be fun though.
6. Aaron Rodgers - a couple of years ago he would have been near the top of my list, but I think he's in decline some. That said, I would be glad to have him, and he's certainly better than Cousins.
7. Some college guy. I don't know enough about them to say which one. I just really want the Vikings to draft and groom one. And, I honestly wouldn't want to start them over Cousins immediately.

That's really about it. I thought the list would be longer, but there are not many QBs that I would consider vastly better. There are some that are probably equal, but what's he point in that? There may be a name or 2 I forgot though, I'm not exactly digging deep here. I'm just trying to take my mind off the last game.

On the outside, but close:
1. L Jackson - Clearly has some gifts. I don't trust his ability to consistent throw the ball, and so I think he would waste a lot of the talent we have. He's having a good year for sure, and maybe by the end of it, he would move up my list. He seems to be winning a lot, and that's not a bad thing. I worry that he will get hurt and suddenly become like RG3.
2. Teddy. I have a soft spot for Teddy, like many of us. But, I definitely don't think he's better than Cousins. Maybe he has a knack for closing out games though. If suddenly he was our QB next year, I think I would initially be really happy, but I do wonder how long it would take for that to wear off.

Edit: included Brees on my short list.
Last edited by Dames on Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damian
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Silly QB wish thread

Post by StumpHunter »

Dames wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:33 pm Okay, this is meant to just be a fun exercise. I don't want any off-beat discussions on how great or crappy Cousins is. Just your list please. You can add reasons why if you want. It can be anyone active or about to be drafted... i.e. no pulling Favre out of retirement.

Active QBs I would rather have over Cousins:
1. Mahomes - Obviously. The guy is a rare talent, and he's young.
2. Russell Wilson - I think he is a winner, and I think he could do amazing things with the talent we have.
3. D. Watson - Another young talented guy. Not on par with Mahomes, but he's very good.
4. Tom Brady - look, I realize he's having a bad year, but he is clearly a very talented QB. There are rumors he is going to test FA next year. I'd take a chance on him for a year or 2 if given the option, but it's clearly a stop-gap. Might be fun though.
5. Aaron Rodgers - a couple of years ago he would have been near the top of my list, but I think he's in decline some. That said, I would be glad to have him, and he's certainly better than Cousins.
6. Some college guy. I don't know enough about them to say which one. I just really want the Vikings to draft and groom one. And, I honestly wouldn't want to start them over Cousins immediately.

That's really about it. I thought the list would be longer, but there are not many QBs that I would consider vastly better. There are some that are probably equal, but what's he point in that? There may be a name or 2 I forgot though, I'm not exactly digging deep here. I'm just trying to take my mind off the last game.

On the outside, but close:
1. L Jackson - Clearly has some gifts. I don't trust his ability to consistent throw the ball, and so I think he would waste a lot of the talent we have. He's having a good year for sure, and maybe by the end of it, he would move up my list. He seems to be winning a lot, and that's not a bad thing. I worry that he will get hurt and suddenly become like RG3.
2. Teddy. I have a soft spot for Teddy, like many of us. But, I definitely don't think he's better than Cousins. Maybe he has a knack for closing out games though. If suddenly he was our QB next year, I think I would initially be really happy, but I do wonder how long it would take for that to wear off.
The painful part about this list is the Vikings had/should have had the draft capital to draft all of these QBs.

Wilson in particular is painful, because the coaching staff coached him in the Senior Bowl and there is a rumor they loved him and wanted Rick to draft him. He refused because he didn't want a QB controversy with Ponder.

I would add Brees to that list. Another guy we could have had via free agencies.

We had our chances.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

To quote what I've heard Qzzy proclaim every time I've seen him live..... LET THE MADNESS BEGIN!!!
Lol. I gotta go to a viewing but will post later. This will be interesting.
Great question man.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:51 pm To quote what I've heard Qzzy proclaim every time I've seen him live..... LET THE MADNESS BEGIN!!!
Lol. I gotta go to a viewing but will post later. This will be interesting.
Great question man.
:lol: I'll admit that I almost didn't start the thread.
Damian
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:50 pm The painful part about this list is the Vikings had/should have had the draft capital to draft all of these QBs.

Wilson in particular is painful, because the coaching staff coached him in the Senior Bowl and there is a rumor they loved him and wanted Rick to draft him. He refused because he didn't want a QB controversy with Ponder.

I would add Brees to that list. Another guy we could have had via free agencies.

We had our chances.
Yes, Brees. I forgot about him somehow. He is definitely on my short list. We screwed that up years ago. When there were rumors that the Vikings were looking into him prior to offering Cousins anything, I was really excited. I knew it was a long shot though, because he was fully entrenched in NO, but I wanted it badly. He'll be retiring soon, but it would have been amazing to see him in purple for a couple years.

Oh, we definitely had our chances to grab most of these. It wouldn't surprise me if that rumor about Wilson is true. They went out of there way to protect Ponder for way too long. Ugh, what a crappy time in Viking's history that was.
Damian
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

This one is easy, and I can't believe he wasn't on your short list Dames...

Kyle Sloter!

Just Kidding!!!!

OK, in all seriousness, while I am very tempted to do the shoulda-coulda-woulda Vikings fan dance, my wish is that the Vikings solve this problem next year. For that to happen, I think a few things have to happen yet this year.

There is always the off chance that the Vikings find a way this year and either go deep into the playoffs or outright win the Superbowl and Cousins is a big reason why. If that happens, then there won't be a reason to ask Santa for a new QB for the team.

I also think the Vikings could just squeak into the playoffs and lose in the first round, even badly, and the prevailing mood within the braintrust will be to stay the course and retain as much of what they regard as the key talent on the team heading into next year. That will be the "it's less risky to retain and tweak than blow it up and start over, or at least seriously turn it over" mentality.

But, if the Vikings tank here in November and December and end up missing the playoffs yet again, well, things could get mighty interesting, and not just at QB. In that scenario we could see changes at GM, head coach, and significant player turnover, and not just among the free agents.

In that scenario, Cousins is a sunk cost ala Herschel Walker. Once the deal was done, the draft picks were gone whether Walker was a star or made the team at all. So it is with Cousins and the $84 million. He's going to get it if he plays or if he sits or if he's cut, so while it makes sense to keep him and play him, if he's not the right fit for the GM/coaches that replace Spielman/Zimmer at that point, I could see him getting cut, or, at the very least, having to compete for the starting job.

And in that scenario, with the Vikings still cap-strapped as a result of retaining all of these veteran "stars" this year and last year, they'd not be in the market for a high profile veteran QB. They'd have to go to the well (well, other team's wells) to see if one of the teams that is blessed with some QB depth might be interested in a trade for a promising backup and/or they could mine the college ranks for a promising prospect.

Like you, Dames, I don't pay enough attention to college football at this point to have a short list of QBs I'd like them to target, and further, I have no idea where they'll be drafting, although I think its safe to assume it won't be higher than 15th. So to put themselves in a draft position to get a promising guy without major warts, they'll likely have to make some trades, and potentially some aggressive trades, unless they're willing to stand pat and take the best of what's left when their pick comes up.

I am not making a prediction that this will come to pass. I hope it doesn't. It just could, and if it does, the sooner they get into the right mindset to make the tough decisions and take the hits necessary to rebuild this thing into something that can credibly compete for a Superbowl (once again, assuming the thing they have right now isn't capable of that, and I am not assuming that or stating that), the better for everyone.

I can't leave my response without saying that my silly QB wish is Russell Wilson.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

I wish we were able to get Chase Daniels as a backup. As a starter maybe Russel Wilson because he can extend the play and find out wide outs. Also please don't hate me for this I wouldnt mind Matt Stafford because I'm a fan of gunslingers. I'm good with Lamar Jackson or Deshaun Watson too.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Guys -- WE WERE NEVER GOING TO GET DREW BREES.

Drew Brees LOVES the city of New Orleans. He's grown roots there as deep as the ocean. He was never, ever going to leave the Saints. Quit blaming the Vikings for not getting him.

My pick on the original list would be Russell Wilson. Remember, the Seahawks had just signed Matt Flynn to a big contract, and as a 3rd-round pick, Wilson wasn't expected to play at all. But in account after account that I've read, Wilson was the unquestioned leader from the moment he showed up. He's got the "it" factor in embarrassing quantities (if only a tiny shred of it would rub off on Kirk Cousins). Most people believe he'd have been the No. 1 overall pick if he were 6-5. I guarantee you, if they re-did that draft, he would be No. 1. Leadership, football IQ, mobility, arm strength, accuracy ... he's got everything except height. Plus, he's not an a$$hole like Aaron Rodgers.

Put Russell Wilson on this team, and we'd probably be undefeated. Kirk Cousins didn't lose games all by himself, but Russell Wilson has the ability to rise above mediocre play around him. Think he would have thrown that idiotic pick against the Packers? Think he couldn't have put up 17 points on the Bears? Or beaten the Chiefs without Mahomes?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:03 pm Guys -- WE WERE NEVER GOING TO GET DREW BREES.

Drew Brees LOVES the city of New Orleans. He's grown roots there as deep as the ocean. He was never, ever going to leave the Saints. Quit blaming the Vikings for not getting him.

My pick on the original list would be Russell Wilson. Remember, the Seahawks had just signed Matt Flynn to a big contract, and as a 3rd-round pick, Wilson wasn't expected to play at all. But in account after account that I've read, Wilson was the unquestioned leader from the moment he showed up. He's got the "it" factor in embarrassing quantities (if only a tiny shred of it would rub off on Kirk Cousins). Most people believe he'd have been the No. 1 overall pick if he were 6-5. I guarantee you, if they re-did that draft, he would be No. 1. Leadership, football IQ, mobility, arm strength, accuracy ... he's got everything except height. Plus, he's not an a$$hole like Aaron Rodgers.

Put Russell Wilson on this team, and we'd probably be undefeated. Kirk Cousins didn't lose games all by himself, but Russell Wilson has the ability to rise above mediocre play around him. Think he would have thrown that idiotic pick against the Packers? Think he couldn't have put up 17 points on the Bears? Or beaten the Chiefs without Mahomes?
I have a short wish list : Russell Wilson. I've watched him in several games this year. He's actually getting better as a QB IMO.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:03 pm Guys -- WE WERE NEVER GOING TO GET DREW BREES.

Brees was never going to leave NO, but I was referring to after San Diego let him walk.

Wilson in Purple has this team winning multiple Super Bowls.

This season we are definitely undefeated with him and I agree he could overcome the mediocrity of a top 5 run game, top 10 defense, top 5 WRs and the best offensive line he would have ever played behind.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:26 pm

Brees was never going to leave NO, but I was referring to after San Diego let him walk.

Wilson in Purple has this team winning multiple Super Bowls.

This season we are definitely undefeated with him and I agree he could overcome the mediocrity of a top 5 run game, top 10 defense, top 5 WRs and the best offensive line he would have ever played behind.
Nobody wanted Brees when he left San Diego. He was damaged goods. Can't blame the Vikings for not having a silver ball.

The mediocrity I'm referring to is mediocre PLAY, such as the Packers and Bears games. He can elevate a team even when they're not playing well in other phases. I don't consider the Vikings to be mediocre as far as talent or ability are concerned.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:04 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:26 pm Brees was never going to leave NO, but I was referring to after San Diego let him walk.
Nobody wanted Brees when he left San Diego. He was damaged goods. Can't blame the Vikings for not having a silver ball.
My thoughts were jumbled in my post too, but I was referring to the post-San Diego Brees. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I swear there was some passing interest by the Vikings at the same, but it may have only been rumors. They were using Brad Johnson as a stop-gap IIRC. (Followed by the great Tavaris Jackson experience in 2007.)

Brees was seen as a too-short QB that was also damaged goods, and most teams gave him no shot. I love these stories of guys that prove everyone wrong... I just wish he was on our team when he did it. I mean, this is the silly QB wish tread. :)
Damian
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

808vikingsfan wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:19 pm I have a short wish list : Russell Wilson. I've watched him in several games this year. He's actually getting better as a QB IMO.
He absolutely is. I remember in his first couple years, I had my doubts him. But he just continued to get better.
Damian
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

I'd take Rodgers. He's the best. I don't see a decline because he can still move and he throws a dam nice ball. He throws all the passes. Plus he don't need great WRs which saves a ton of cap. Beyond that I would take a young guy like Wenz or Goff. D Watson is impressive but too much running. Sooner or later. I also like Matt Ryan. He lead the team to a Super Bowl. That says something.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

My wish list with age and contracts not considered:
Brady
Brees
Rodgers
Wilson
Mahomes
Watson
Goff
Ryan
Wentz
Murray
Jackson
Prescott
Bridgewater

Not all of those guys would put up the numbers Cousins does against bad teams, but those guys would at least give me hope.