Difficult question

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Difficult question

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:45 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:19 pm GB just drives me insane. I still dont think they are all that good but the media will keep pumping the air into that ball. I wouldnt be surprised at all if Mahomes is back this weak vs the Vikes. But of course, the one game he has to miss is vs. GB. I literally hate everything about that team
If Mahomes is back, he won't be 100%. He'll be favoring the knee and one sack or hit might send him back to the sidelines.

KC needs the win bad now that they lost to the Packers, though, so I think they might force him back.

For some reason, I'm not all that worried about KC, Mahomes or no Mahomes. I don't think their defense is all that good, and I think the Vikings will be able to move and score on them. As to whether KC can move and score on the Vikings, they probably can, but I still think the Vikings have better matchups against KC when the Vikings are on defense. Provided the Vikings execute well, I think they can limit KC, especially if Mahomes isn't 100%.
I'm worried about KC. We are in their park which makes it harder. We get a huge break with extra rest so that should help. All Viking fans hate GB. But they have had back to back dam good QBs. One guy is in the hall the other will probably make it also. Old man Farve almost took us to the show. Rodgers gives them a huge advantage over every team they play. He's a dam good QB. Can't deny that. I also think Mahomes will be back for the Cheifs.
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

Giant Meteor :v):
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:45 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:19 pm GB just drives me insane. I still dont think they are all that good but the media will keep pumping the air into that ball. I wouldnt be surprised at all if Mahomes is back this weak vs the Vikes. But of course, the one game he has to miss is vs. GB. I literally hate everything about that team
If Mahomes is back, he won't be 100%. He'll be favoring the knee and one sack or hit might send him back to the sidelines.

KC needs the win bad now that they lost to the Packers, though, so I think they might force him back.

For some reason, I'm not all that worried about KC, Mahomes or no Mahomes. I don't think their defense is all that good, and I think the Vikings will be able to move and score on them. As to whether KC can move and score on the Vikings, they probably can, but I still think the Vikings have better matchups against KC when the Vikings are on defense. Provided the Vikings execute well, I think they can limit KC, especially if Mahomes isn't 100%.
I agree. Their defense has holes all over the place. They do blitz a lot so we need to be prepared for that. I think they are forced to blitz so much because they cant cover long enough to say so and dont have the front 4 pass rush to disrupt and offense.

The biggest question is how our defense plays. This needs to be a statement game for them. Mahomes or not, even Matt Moore looked decent the other night. Their running game doesnt impress me but we have to be able to cover the weapons on the outside. If I'm Zim, I put Waynes on Tyreek Hill all game because he has the speed to run with him. I doubt Zim will do that though
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

mansquatch wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:00 pm

There is a reasonable argument that two to three of their wins were luck. No way they win in KC if Mahomes is playing. Ref's won them the game vs. DET. Even the SNF crew called that one out. Refs helped in the game vs. us, but I'm not sure the week 2 iteration of our passing game wins that game even if the Cook penalty doesn't happen. Week 9 Iteration is a different story.
Good post and I agree. I still believe that a good 8 times out of 10 we beat them. If we played them a week or so ago we win that game. And yeah the Cook penalty makes that game a different outcome IMO.

[quoteThey definitely have the feel of a playoff pretender this year. The NFC Wild Card teams will be very tough this season depending on how the NFC W plays out. I can see them getting a ton of hype and then getting dismantled in the playoffs by one of the wildcard teams. I think SF kind of feels the same way, their first 8 games were pathetically easy in terms of opposition. I suspect they'll get bloodied in their division some. [/quote]

Agreed with both SF and GB. SF defense is actually legit. Although, I'm so sick of the media raving about the Packers defense. The only thing improved on that defense is the pass rush. But they still cant cover and letting Mike Daniels walk was a mistake on their end. Other than that, their defense blows. 19th against the pass, 24th against the run, 22nd in total defense. That's just the media desperately wanting the Packers to be good again
The Saints have history and Drew Brees/Sean Peyton, so I'm going to call them pretenders. I'm not sure they are that much difference from the team last year, though We played them very tough losing due to two bad turnovers by our WR. If we draw them I think we can compete. We'll know much more about NO in the next 6 weeks when they get into their divisional slugfest. NFC S is down this year, but those will be hard fought games. If Saints come out of that with only 1 loss they are legit. If they drop 2-3 then we can question them as well.
Yeah I mean the saints havent really been challenged in 4 weeks now. And the good teams they have played they either lost (rams) or squeaked out a win.
Coming back to the Packers, I think our road to an NFC bye week really goes through them. We win the division with a better overall record. If it is tied, then it will be best Win Loss in Division. This is where the CHI loss hurts us. I think we end up 4-2, but GB might end up 5-1. Then we are out.
True but I can see the Lions beating the Packers next time around. Chicago probably not because their offense is disgustingly bad.
This is what worries me, I'm not sure they will lose enough games for us to catch them. Sure they have 5 road games coming up, but one is against the Giants. This week they play LAC which is a "pseudo" road game. My hope is that Rivers will decided to show up and beat them, but I have my doubts. They do have a game against SF on the road which should be good. They also play the Panthers, but that is in GB. I'm hoping they lose both of these, but even one would help. They have to face us at home which is a game I think we'll win. They also have to play the Bears again, but that is also in GB. Week 17 they play in DET, but I think at that point the Lions will have nothing to play for. (It already feels like they are done with Keryon Johnson going to IR.)

We need them to lose at least one and preferably two before they get to us. Then we can slap them down and take the division. Them losing two is the ideal number, then we have a one game cushion which I think we'll need as I think we got 2-1 against KC/DAL/SEA. If we lose this week in KC, I think we are a Wild Card team due to the softness of GB's schedule. Good news is we are on a huge win streak and I wonder if KC will risk Mahomes against our Defense. Their division sucks so I think they can afford the L. Let's hope Andy Reid agrees.
I can see them losing a few coming up. I mean their schedule has been fairly weak so far and it drives me nuts. SF can beat them. Dont count LAC out. Or even Carolina
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:17 am
mansquatch wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:00 pm

There is a reasonable argument that two to three of their wins were luck. No way they win in KC if Mahomes is playing. Ref's won them the game vs. DET. Even the SNF crew called that one out. Refs helped in the game vs. us, but I'm not sure the week 2 iteration of our passing game wins that game even if the Cook penalty doesn't happen. Week 9 Iteration is a different story.
Good post and I agree. I still believe that a good 8 times out of 10 we beat them. If we played them a week or so ago we win that game. And yeah the Cook penalty makes that game a different outcome IMO.

[quoteThey definitely have the feel of a playoff pretender this year. The NFC Wild Card teams will be very tough this season depending on how the NFC W plays out. I can see them getting a ton of hype and then getting dismantled in the playoffs by one of the wildcard teams. I think SF kind of feels the same way, their first 8 games were pathetically easy in terms of opposition. I suspect they'll get bloodied in their division some.
Agreed with both SF and GB. SF defense is actually legit. Although, I'm so sick of the media raving about the Packers defense. The only thing improved on that defense is the pass rush. But they still cant cover and letting Mike Daniels walk was a mistake on their end. Other than that, their defense blows. 19th against the pass, 24th against the run, 22nd in total defense. That's just the media desperately wanting the Packers to be good again
The Saints have history and Drew Brees/Sean Peyton, so I'm going to call them pretenders. I'm not sure they are that much difference from the team last year, though We played them very tough losing due to two bad turnovers by our WR. If we draw them I think we can compete. We'll know much more about NO in the next 6 weeks when they get into their divisional slugfest. NFC S is down this year, but those will be hard fought games. If Saints come out of that with only 1 loss they are legit. If they drop 2-3 then we can question them as well.
Yeah I mean the saints havent really been challenged in 4 weeks now. And the good teams they have played they either lost (rams) or squeaked out a win.
Coming back to the Packers, I think our road to an NFC bye week really goes through them. We win the division with a better overall record. If it is tied, then it will be best Win Loss in Division. This is where the CHI loss hurts us. I think we end up 4-2, but GB might end up 5-1. Then we are out.
True but I can see the Lions beating the Packers next time around. Chicago probably not because their offense is disgustingly bad.
This is what worries me, I'm not sure they will lose enough games for us to catch them. Sure they have 5 road games coming up, but one is against the Giants. This week they play LAC which is a "pseudo" road game. My hope is that Rivers will decided to show up and beat them, but I have my doubts. They do have a game against SF on the road which should be good. They also play the Panthers, but that is in GB. I'm hoping they lose both of these, but even one would help. They have to face us at home which is a game I think we'll win. They also have to play the Bears again, but that is also in GB. Week 17 they play in DET, but I think at that point the Lions will have nothing to play for. (It already feels like they are done with Keryon Johnson going to IR.)

We need them to lose at least one and preferably two before they get to us. Then we can slap them down and take the division. Them losing two is the ideal number, then we have a one game cushion which I think we'll need as I think we got 2-1 against KC/DAL/SEA. If we lose this week in KC, I think we are a Wild Card team due to the softness of GB's schedule. Good news is we are on a huge win streak and I wonder if KC will risk Mahomes against our Defense. Their division sucks so I think they can afford the L. Let's hope Andy Reid agrees.
I can see them losing a few coming up. I mean their schedule has been fairly weak so far and it drives me nuts. SF can beat them. Dont count LAC out. Or even Carolina
[/quote]

Not sure why the Packers get all this hype on defense. Since week 3 after playing 2 horrible offenses + the Vikings they have not held a team under 20 points. They are an above average defense which is better than what they were last season, but still not great.

Their good day on defense is a bad showing for ours, but expect more pro bowlers off their D and Preston Smith to be higher than Everson on the top 100 list next year.

Also, Jaire Alexander is having this great year and is a shutdown corner?

You tell me which is Rhodes struggling and which is Alexander having a great year:

Yards Per Game given up: 56
TDs Given up: 2
Pass Breakups: 12
Yards per given up per reception: 14.2
Yards per target allowed: 7.2
Target Rate: 26.1%
Burn Rate: 3.6%
Average Target Distance: 11.4

Yards per Game: 50
TDs given up:3
Pass Breakups: 5
Yards per given up per reception: 9.8
Yards per target allowed: 7.5
Target Rate: 21.3%
Burn Rate: 0%
Average Target Distance: 7
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Saints...I have nothing against them. Their championship run made WWF look real but at this point I dont care if the games are manipulated and its not the saint's fault anyway.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Vikings CrucifiXS
Rookie

Post by Vikings CrucifiXS »

Saints! Theres no way I would ever root for The FudgePackers, ever! :soap
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

At this point, other than some unforseen development for the Vikings that makes them real contenders, my biggest hope for this season is that the Saints win it with Teddy Bridgewater as the starting QB. I've got nothing but good wishes for Bridgewater.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins