Giants post game discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

cogitator
Veteran

Re: Giants post game discussion

Post by cogitator »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:16 pm
I really, really hated the officiating today. Overall, the league is calling so many penalties. One PI after another.
They are getting carried away on roughing the passer calls too. It's almost to the point where it's either a sack or a roughing the passer call. Touch the QB when the ball isn't in his hands and they seem to call it. Did that against Matthews in the Thursday game, and there was one on the Broncos in the Bears game.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

cogitator wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:10 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:16 pm
I really, really hated the officiating today. Overall, the league is calling so many penalties. One PI after another.
They are getting carried away on roughing the passer calls too. It's almost to the point where it's either a sack or a roughing the passer call. Touch the QB when the ball isn't in his hands and they seem to call it. Did that against Matthews in the Thursday game, and there was one on the Broncos in the Bears game.
What's even crazier is that most of them don't get overturned when challenged
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:53 pm We opened up the offense today with a lot of 3 wr sets. Its no surprise that we looked better. This offense can thrive if we go into 3 WR sets.
Treadwell and some other bum opened it up? OK. This Giant team isn't very good. Cousins threw some short stuff to Cook and one in particular that just hung in the air. You do that against a good D and it's a pick 6. Cook laying the ball on the ground would have cost us the game against a good team. Our secondary was a sive. I might not have seen it right but I thought I seen some joke WR running free and the rookie QB missed him for an easy TD. But perhaps that never happened. Rhodes was smoked by some slow footed bum I never heard of. A good team would have beat us today badly. The bench mark is coming up. The Chief game will show were this team is at. It's the same old stuff from what I saw.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

The offense looked really good. It was good to see Kirk get back into rhythm with the receivers. Cook continues to be awesome. I really hope he can continue to be healthy. If he can stay healthy I honestly think he can be better than Peterson. He seems to have a much better nose for catching the ball and seems just as dangerous with it from scrimmage.

Kirk has been taking a lot of heat for the amount of "long passes" he's thrown but honestly a lot of his decrease in stats is that he wasn't a huge part of one of the wins. It was mostly run game. He has also played against Chicago and GB both of which have stout defenses. Kirks stats and long passes will probably come as the season progresses.

The negative for me is that I expected this out of the offense. I think the Giants are currently a bad defense. I actually posted that I thought Kirk would shred them in the pre-game topic. Middling-to-bad defenses he doesn't just "beat" he generally destroys them. His stats are going to reflect the strength of the defenses the team plays on average. While that's true for any QB, Kirk seems to have a switch that turns off. His play doesn't just go down a bit, it seems to drop off the map completely.

The defense was mixed for me. Sloppy with penalties. Both Rhodes and Waynes got burned for what should have been 14 points. Lots of bright spots though. Hughes looked like the best CB on the team. Good pressure on the QB seemingly every play.

That said, I'm not sure the yardage (which is for some reason how most teams are ranked) is going to reflect how well the defense played. The TOP was very lopsided.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Cliff wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:15 am The offense looked really good. It was good to see Kirk get back into rhythm with the receivers. Cook continues to be awesome. I really hope he can continue to be healthy. If he can stay healthy I honestly think he can be better than Peterson. He seems to have a much better nose for catching the ball and seems just as dangerous with it from scrimmage.

Kirk has been taking a lot of heat for the amount of "long passes" he's thrown but honestly a lot of his decrease in stats is that he wasn't a huge part of one of the wins. It was mostly run game. He has also played against Chicago and GB both of which have stout defenses. Kirks stats and long passes will probably come as the season progresses.

The negative for me is that I expected this out of the offense. I think the Giants are currently a bad defense. I actually posted that I thought Kirk would shred them in the pre-game topic. Middling-to-bad defenses he doesn't just "beat" he generally destroys them. His stats are going to reflect the strength of the defenses the team plays on average. While that's true for any QB, Kirk seems to have a switch that turns off. His play doesn't just go down a bit, it seems to drop off the map completely.

The defense was mixed for me. Sloppy with penalties. Both Rhodes and Waynes got burned for what should have been 14 points. Lots of bright spots though. Hughes looked like the best CB on the team. Good pressure on the QB seemingly every play.

That said, I'm not sure the yardage (which is for some reason how most teams are ranked) is going to reflect how well the defense played. The TOP was very lopsided.
Actually, you were correct ... for a half. Cousins had something like 275 yards passing by halftime. Then Zimmer pulled his usual stunt of putting the ball on ice, and Cousins only had a handful of attempts in the second half.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:49 amActually, you were correct ... for a half. Cousins had something like 275 yards passing by halftime. Then Zimmer pulled his usual stunt of putting the ball on ice, and Cousins only had a handful of attempts in the second half.
Yeah, there's no accounting for game planning. When given the opportunity he played well mostly. I thought he held the ball too long in several cases but that could well have been play design.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:49 am
Cliff wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:15 am The offense looked really good. It was good to see Kirk get back into rhythm with the receivers. Cook continues to be awesome. I really hope he can continue to be healthy. If he can stay healthy I honestly think he can be better than Peterson. He seems to have a much better nose for catching the ball and seems just as dangerous with it from scrimmage.

Actually, you were correct ... for a half. Cousins had something like 275 yards passing by halftime. Then Zimmer pulled his usual stunt of putting the ball on ice, and Cousins only had a handful of attempts in the second half.
Cousins was no different this game than he was any game. He threw a short floater to Cook that a good D that looks for TOs like the Bears would have picked it off and ran it in for a pick 6. Cook laid the ball on the ground. That's not winning football IMO. Our OC coordinators didn't change over night. It was the same story. I don't look for them to change. They are what they are. And our secondary is the same. Guys are wide open. I mean nobody covered them at all. That's Zim's scheme again getting blown up. Same old story but we played a door mat. Yes they won and Zim gets the credit. I wasn't impressed by it. This Griffen guy gets a #### load of CAP and didn't do anything. Some stiff held him up. He needs to blow a guy like that up. Rhodes another CAP eater was smoked. If he goes against a stud look out. Hughes was impressive.I give the kid credit.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I didn't get to see the game but clearly, the Vikes bounced back with a much-needed road win against a team they should have defeated. That's encouraging and the offense obviously had a big day, which is great to see as well. On to the Eagles!
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CharVike wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:22 am
Cousins was no different this game than he was any game. He threw a short floater to Cook that a good D that looks for TOs like the Bears would have picked it off and ran it in for a pick 6. Cook laid the ball on the ground. That's not winning football IMO. Our OC coordinators didn't change over night. It was the same story. I don't look for them to change. They are what they are. And our secondary is the same. Guys are wide open. I mean nobody covered them at all. That's Zim's scheme again getting blown up. Same old story but we played a door mat. Yes they won and Zim gets the credit. I wasn't impressed by it. This Griffen guy gets a #### load of CAP and didn't do anything. Some stiff held him up. He needs to blow a guy like that up. Rhodes another CAP eater was smoked. If he goes against a stud look out. Hughes was impressive.I give the kid credit.
Dude, you need a Xanax or something. Sorry you found the game so revolting.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pretty much everything you just wrote was wrong. Is this a parody post?

Cousins was significantly better, hitting open receivers instead of missing them. The Giants want turnovers just as much as the Bears, they just missed on that play. Cook was amazing outside of the fumble that gave the Vikings 2 points. Daniel Jones had a measely 4.8 YPA, threw for under 200 yards, and had a passer rating of 66 against our secondary that was "leaving guys wide open" and Griffen had a great game.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Cliff wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:01 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:49 amActually, you were correct ... for a half. Cousins had something like 275 yards passing by halftime. Then Zimmer pulled his usual stunt of putting the ball on ice, and Cousins only had a handful of attempts in the second half.
Yeah, there's no accounting for game planning. When given the opportunity he played well mostly. I thought he held the ball too long in several cases but that could well have been play design.
Well there was the one he was sacked early in the redzone but I think the bobbled snap threw the entire play off. He bobbled it and then back pedaled like a QB from the 70's and by the time he got back there he looked uncomfortable and was sacked. That's also another reason I dont really understand the constant under center stuff. Bradbury supposedly has the sweatiest as# ever. Kirk mentioned it during training camp. He has had quite a few bobbled snaps this year, which is unusual and I'm guessing that's the main cause of it.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:05 am
Dude, you need a Xanax or something. Sorry you found the game so revolting.
:lol: :lol: CharVike I gotta agree with Kapp here. I enjoy your posts but some are over the top and largely in the negative. I think it's funny more than anything because you rattle off like 20 different issues all in one shot. Not trying to knock you I just think it's funny. I feel like you're the "Panic Pete" of the board lol
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

StumpHunter wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:09 pm People rightly were upset that nothing has really changed from last year. This win doesn't change that and in fact was an easy win for last year's team too.

To be the best, you have to beat the best, and the Vikes have played like garbage against the best.
The running game hasn't changed?
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I listened to the game on the radio, it went about as expected. Giants are not good on defense and their offense has a rookie QB. We should have and did steam roll them. It's good that we did that.

I appreciate Koby's comments, they ring true. For me though, I'm kind of at a point where I need them to show me they can deliver against a quality opponent. This week we'll have such an opponent in our house. Let's see if they can deliver in that game. I do think Koby's point about us losing on the road to quality teams probably is being undervalued right now. We likely will look very different when they have to come to our house in December. Still, first we need to show we can do it, so bring on the Eagles.

The season is a marathon and the playoffs do not start tomorrow. Are we in an ideal place? No. But we are not out of it yet. CHI lost to OAK yesterday. There are 11 games left and a lot can change. I'm happy that the NFC North is back to its "Black and Blue Division" ways. I suspect 4-2 could win it this year.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

mansquatch wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:04 am
StumpHunter wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:09 pm People rightly were upset that nothing has really changed from last year. This win doesn't change that and in fact was an easy win for last year's team too.

To be the best, you have to beat the best, and the Vikes have played like garbage against the best.
The running game hasn't changed?
Nope, you are right, that is better.