Post Bears Game discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Post Bears Game discussion

Post by chicagopurple »

Exactly!!!!!
Some may say that things might hove gone better if some of these sad excuses for a QB had an actual OL, but Spielman chose to go bargain basement on the OL. BUT if you look at all our ex-QBs after they left us they are all nothing more then journeymen......nothing special......ever......
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

chicagopurple wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:59 pm Exactly!!!!!
Some may say that things might hove gone better if some of these sad excuses for a QB had an actual OL, but Spielman chose to go bargain basement on the OL. BUT if you look at all our ex-QBs after they left us they are all nothing more then journeymen......nothing special......ever......
Maybe, let's see how Teddy does, I'm rooting for him even though I hate the Saints.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Mothman wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:18 pm
S197 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:01 pm I think the problem with the defense is they're overly complacent and comfortable with one another. They've played so long together they are essentially stuck in this rut of doing the same thing over and over. It's probably better if a bunch of them leave next year, talent is irrelevant if effort is lacking. There's been far too many games they've looked completely unprepared for a supposed top tier defense.

Offensively we're just screwed as Cousins is here for another year with a no trade clause. The best we can hope for is a guy gets drafted and can sit a year and get up to speed while Cousins plays out his last year. Of course for that to happen, Rick will probably need to be fired because the guy NEVER drafts a QB unless absolutely necessary.
He shouldn't get another bite at the QB apple in Minnesota anyway, not after signing Cousins to this ridiculous contract and spending 3 first round picks on QBs in the past 9 years. The QB position has been spectacularly mismanaged.
One of the very first things I said when Cousins signed his contract is Spielman and likely Zimmer’s career rests solely on the success of Cousins. Few seemed to believe me at the time.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:41 pmOne of the very first things I said when Cousins signed his contract is Spielman and likely Zimmer’s career rests solely on the success of Cousins. Few seemed to believe me at the time.
I'm not sure why. After all, Zimmer himself said if they didn't pick the right QB, he'd probably get fired.

There's a pretty good chance their Vikings careers are tied together at this point.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

There was no other choice but to sign Cousins. We didn't have a QB. We weren't the only team after him either. That's why we overpaid. IMO Zim never built a D that was good enough to carry a middle of the road QB. The Bears built a D. That D can carry a half #### QB. Unfortunately it's not enough for them to make the show. They know this I think. But with a guy like Mack he can turn the tide quickly. I don't watch every second of their games but it seems he makes some strip sacks. That's a big play. So if their D can get some turnovers they have a chance but everything will need to go in their favor because they lack a top flight QB. But that D goes after TOs. Zims D is middle of the road in TOs. That won't carry a middle of the road QB. They are all tied together. But there is still one more year left for them. Since people are creatures of habit it will be the same story unless they find a difference maker for our D. A guy like Mack. That's hard to do. And I don't know if they think or feel they need that. They felt signing some journeyman G and drafting a C would fix the OL. IMO that didn't work. Kline I guess is hurt and Bradberry isn't ready yet. He gets pushed around. That's only my thought. I'm not an expert and the complete opposite could be true.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

chicagopurple wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:33 am ....and, once again, Vike fans will settle for watching another journeyman QB who has no real chance of ever leading a team to a super bowl. The reality is no one on this team is a capable QB. The BEST option is to leave Cousins in ( an injury would be meaningless to our future), go 2-14, get a top draft choice, and find a competent GM BEFORE the draft who can finally get us a real QB. We need a regime change and a year or 2 of high lvl drafts at QB and OL.....we go nowhere without those 2 components and Spielman has proven useless in those areas.
Good post. I feel the same way. Bottom line this 8-8 or 9-7 BS is the worst spot to be in. You won't get the top QB prospect. You won't get the top OL prospect. I'm not an expert and of course a great QB can be found later but that's an outlier. Hell with this outliers BS it don't work. Unfortunately we won't make the show so start the rebuild by crashing. How that is done is beyond me.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

TSonn wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:13 am
StumpHunter wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:09 am 4th longest time to throw in week 4, btw. :D
That's such an interesting stat that I just have a hard time believing. Is it easily susceptible to outliers influencing the data (aka a couple bootlegs that take 6 or 7 seconds)?

A better stat would be the percentage of dropbacks where the QB was able set his feet at the designed step.
This stuff is made up for a click. These people have no idea what the blocking call was. For example Mack blew Reiff up so he looked like a bum. What was the line call. Was Reiff expecting help? If so from where? I don't have any idea. I'll go old school and go by sacks. We had one and the Bears six. That tells me our OL sucked. That tells me our DL sucked. Maybe Cousins held the ball and that's what caused the sacks. If it was me I wouldn't hold the ball because Mack will kill you. Get rid of it. If you take that route there will never be a sack. Mack will never get another sack. It's easy. This won't end. I remember the "great in his own mind" Ron Jaworski, who was the biggest #### playing in the NFL, would come to the LOS against the Giants and if he couldn't find LT he would #### his pants and call timeout. I don't blame him for that. LT will take your head off. Jaws wanted to be able to get a hard on again and elected to sacrifice the teams possible good for his own safety. At least Cousins holds the ball waiting for the routes to be run. I'll give him credit for that.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:19 am
TSonn wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:13 am

That's such an interesting stat that I just have a hard time believing. Is it easily susceptible to outliers influencing the data (aka a couple bootlegs that take 6 or 7 seconds)?

A better stat would be the percentage of dropbacks where the QB was able set his feet at the designed step.
This stuff is made up for a click. These people have no idea what the blocking call was. For example Mack blew Reiff up so he looked like a bum. What was the line call. Was Reiff expecting help? If so from where? I don't have any idea. I'll go old school and go by sacks. We had one and the Bears six. That tells me our OL sucked. That tells me our DL sucked. Maybe Cousins held the ball and that's what caused the sacks. If it was me I wouldn't hold the ball because Mack will kill you. Get rid of it. If you take that route there will never be a sack. Mack will never get another sack. It's easy. This won't end. I remember the "great in his own mind" Ron Jaworski, who was the biggest #### playing in the NFL, would come to the LOS against the Giants and if he couldn't find LT he would #### his pants and call timeout. I don't blame him for that. LT will take your head off. Jaws wanted to be able to get a hard on again and elected to sacrifice the teams possible good for his own safety. At least Cousins holds the ball waiting for the routes to be run. I'll give him credit for that.
On that particular play with Reiff and Mack, Cook ran out on his route without chipping like Reiff possibly expected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceTGNMdKCJI

This guy does a nice job describing the failures on those 6 sacks. Elf needs to be benched and Cook needs to learn to pass protect.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Just to put a little perspective on the history of playing in Chicago
-Since 2003, the Vikings are 3-14. This is significant because it’s the year that Soldier Field completed its renovations. Prior to that (1971 - 2001) the Vikings were 16-14

-In those 17 games, the Vikings have scored 30 or more points 4 times. They are 1-3 in those games.

-The Vikings average 17.6ppg where as Chicago averages 26.2ppg. Season wise, the Vikings averaged 22.5ppg and Chicago 20.7ppg over the same span.

-The Vikings have scored 14 or less points 10 times in 17 games, they’re obviously 0-17 in those games.

-Chicago has scored less than 14 points once. They’re are 1-0.

-in the 3 games the Vikings have actually left Soldier Field victorious - they had only won by 3 points. All three wins were a game winning FG. (Forbath, Walsh, Longwell)

-The Vikings have lost, on average, by 11 points.

-The QB’s responsible for each win are Bradford/Keenum, Bridgewater, and Adrian Peterson. (TJax was actually the QB, but AP went 20/224/3 while TJax was 9/23/136)

-To wrap it all up, in the same time frame: Chicago is 4 - 12 at HHH/TCF/USBS. They’ve averaged 16.4ppg and have lost by an average of 14.1ppg. They fare much worse here then we do there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/minnesotavikin ... ikings_at/

On to NY...
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »