Oakland post game thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Oakland post game thread

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:54 am
- The Raider TE was unreal today. Not sure if Carr was just on auto-pilot firing the ball to him, but he was open short, middle and deep all day. If he hauls in that deep pass late in the 2nd quarter, this game might ultimately have been much closer. It was a little disconcerting to see the Vikings fail to find a way to neutralize him. Maybe it's a secondary depth issue? Whatever it was, the Vikings defensively have to be able to find answers to things like that.
We made Waller look like a big time baller. It gave me bad memories of how we failed to cover Kelce vs. the 49ers last season. Barr might have made a difference, but I fear it's a scheme thing, as it was vs. SF. Our D has been exploited in the past by good TEs.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I still saw Cousins make a couple boneheaded plays, the Raiders just didn't capitalize, so we're not talking about them. One was a screen he threw right at the defender that could have been caught...I forget the other one at the moment.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:54 am Special teams did well. Beebe muffed a punt, but luckily got away with it. Other than that, they were solid. The running game and the defense did what they were expected to do, which is all the Vikings need to keep winning games by comfortable margins.
If I'm not mistaken, Marcus Sherels is a free agent, and I wouldn't mind bringing him in.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:54 am
- Loved what I saw the Vikings do with Irv Smith. They got him deeper down the field a few times and he showed the talent that I think justified his selection in the 2nd round. Smith is a guy who should be able to do those sorts of things more regularly as he acclimates to the pro game. This isn't a negative comment towards Rudolph - it's an acknowledgment of what Smith brings to the table.
I was hoping we would select Eric McKoy to play next to Garrett Bradbury and add some stoutness to our interior OL, but I think Smith is going to fit in pretty well with this offense. He's done better blocking than I expected and he is light years better than Rudolph after the catch.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:12 pm Today was my annual trek to US Bank Stadium. One of my favorite weekends so far.

First of all ... highlight of the day. OK, highlight of just about my entire football life ...

I met Joe Kapp ... shook his hand and talked with him for a few minutes!

My wife and I happened to be staying at the same hotel where they put up all the legends. We saw Johnny Randle, Bobby Bryant and several others. We were putting our bags in the car, and we were parked right next to one of the busses that were to take the legends down to the stadium. And who might be standing there, all by himself ... but Joe Kapp.

My wife saw my face ... I think I was like a teenage girl at a Beatles concert. She said, "Go meet him." So I did. What a nice guy! Much taller than I imagined.

Unfortunately, he's suffering from Alzheimer's. And that came through in our conversation.

"Mr. Kapp, you're the reason I'm a Vikings fan," I said.

"Really?" he asked.

"Yes. I came to see the my very first Vikings game when I was 9 years old, and you threw 7 touchdown passes against the Colts."

"I did?" he asked.

I almost cried. But you know, he was smiling the whole time, and he even joked about it: "I must've been a selfish son of a gun!"
Congratulations! I'm really happy for you. That was obviously a big moment and I'm glad your wife encouraged you to go over and meet him. It's good to know Kapp retains his sense of humor, even under his current circumstances.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:55 pmWhen it comes to WR depth, I get what you're saying but it's not nearly as much of a need in this offense like it would be in others or Flips. When healthy and Beebe is running #3, in heavy passing situations you have Thielen, Diggs, Rudy, Irv and Beebe. If we weren't going heavy with 2 TE sets, WR would be a must. But when that is your top 5, I don't see that as much of a need as some might think.
It's a significant need because you ever know when more injuries will hit. For example, if I'm not mistaken, Diggs has never played all 16 games in a season.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:47 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:55 pmWhen it comes to WR depth, I get what you're saying but it's not nearly as much of a need in this offense like it would be in others or Flips. When healthy and Beebe is running #3, in heavy passing situations you have Thielen, Diggs, Rudy, Irv and Beebe. If we weren't going heavy with 2 TE sets, WR would be a must. But when that is your top 5, I don't see that as much of a need as some might think.
It's a significant need because you ever know when more injuries will hit. For example, if I'm not mistaken, Diggs has never played all 16 games in a season.
Agreed. So do they target someone this week? If so, whom?

It seems like this coaching staff needed to finish the Treadwell chapter, but I can see why it would make some sense to bring him back. Who else might make sense, in your opinion?

I like the idea of bringing Sherels back in (mentioned by Fiesta) and cutting Nate Meadors. IMO, that would be an upgrade in the secondary and it would replace Beebe on ST. The thought of butter-fingers Abdullah fielding punts scares me.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:12 pm Today was my annual trek to US Bank Stadium. One of my favorite weekends so far.

First of all ... highlight of the day. OK, highlight of just about my entire football life ...

I met Joe Kapp ... shook his hand and talked with him for a few minutes!
:rock:

Better late than never I always say.

Joe Kapp was just a little before my time, so I don't have the memories of him that you do, but at the same time, I know how he played and how his character imbued those early years of the Vikings. With him, it wasn't an act. IIRC, even when the team tried to give him an award he talked about how it was 40 for 60. He wouldn't take credit as an individual.

I also recall when there was an old-timers reunion that brought Kapp and Angelo Mosca together on stage, even after all those years the two still didn't like each other and actually got into it. Even then, Kapp gave as good as he got. Not sure if this is admirable, but it speaks to just how genuine Joe Kapp was and still is I'm sure.

For those who never saw the fight, here is a link to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyoEcbk3EP0
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Any position could become a need due to injuries though. For a while we thought we were insanely deep at corner. A few guys are out and it's all of the sudden a need. But he was more on the end of Mattison being a wasted of a pick and taking a WR there instead. What we have seen so far this year, it's obvious why we passed on a WR and went with Mattison
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Texas Vike wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:30 am

It seems like this coaching staff needed to finish the Treadwell chapter, but I can see why it would make some sense to bring him back. Who else might make sense, in your opinion?

I like the idea of bringing Sherels back in (mentioned by Fiesta) and cutting Nate Meadors. IMO, that would be an upgrade in the secondary and it would replace Beebe on ST. The thought of butter-fingers Abdullah fielding punts scares me.
What about Hughes returning kicks and punts? I know he just got back into it, but IIRC he's got experience doing it and was successful doing it in college.

But I like the idea Fiesta had too. Sherels is the sort of guy you can just plug in and not have to worry about anything. I like the idea of bringing Sherels back more than someone like Treadwell to be honest because he can fill in in multiple roles if necessary while Treadwell is just going to provide depth at WR and not very credible depth at that.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:19 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:05 pm

We are hardly passing because we haven't had to yet. We have played... slow start ATL, a GB team that stopped got up big and then tried to give us the game every way possible, and an Oakland team without much offensive bite. We have a schedule that will require a bit more offesive ummph... later in the year. Not to mention come the playoffs. Currently, we have 1 way to win and one way only. If we get behind we do not have to capabilities of winning a shootout. **Given that our defense is prone to 2 or 3 brain fart games a season** we are going to need multiple ways to win on offense. All of the good teams can do both.

Champ Eagles: could beat you in the air or ground.
Pats: Can beat you in the air or ground.,

Anytime you choose only one path, you are in trouble if it gets blocked.
Except that they lost to the Lions at home today. So there IS that.
I didn't say this year's eagles. It wasn't clear but I was talking about the last two Superbowl winners.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:48 am
Texas Vike wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:30 am

What about Hughes returning kicks and punts? I know he just got back into it, but IIRC he's got experience doing it and was successful doing it in college.

But I like the idea Fiesta had too. Sherels is the sort of guy you can just plug in and not have to worry about anything. I like the idea of bringing Sherels back more than someone like Treadwell to be honest because he can fill in in multiple roles if necessary while Treadwell is just going to provide depth at WR and not very credible depth at that.
Hughes' return excited and surprised me, TBH. I blew my ACL and both meniscus out and that is not an easy rehab. Lots of things can go wrong and it just takes time to get back to more-or-less 'normal'. For every AD there is a Sharrif Floyd. So the last thing I'd want is to put Hughes back there. He needs to be eased back to the game so he can regain confidence in his leg's abilities.

Sherels makes a ton of sense and he's possibly an upgrade on Beebe in that he is more sure handed in fielding punts. He's also a definite upgrade over Nate toreador Meadors. He treated that OAK WR like a passing bull on that TD, "Ole!".
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:36 amAny position could become a need due to injuries though.
It just did. That's my point. If Beebe's out, they need another active WR. 3 isn't enough.

I think we got our wires crossed. I wasn't talking about the roster decisions in the offseason or to begin the season. I was just referring to what they need now.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:30 amAgreed. So do they target someone this week? If so, whom?

I wish I knew. I confess, I'm not paying enough attention to NFL rosters and cuts this year to know who is available. I can see why it might make sense to bring Treadwell back too but I hate the idea of doing so because he was so ineffective most of the time. Maybe he'll turn out to be one of their better options though...
If Sherels is healthy (he received an injury settlement from the Saints) I like that idea too.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:05 pm Anytime you choose only one path, you are in trouble if it gets blocked.
That's true, but there isn't any evidence the Vikings can't throw the ball this year. This is a team that has the same core pieces in place in the passing game. They are a little light at WR right now, but the talent to throw and catch is there. So I don't know that you can make the blanket statement that the Vikings can't beat defenses through the air if they have to. I think they haven't done that yet, but it's not for a lack of capability.

If anything, the passing game has not been tapped much yet, but I'd say as this season wears on and the running game clearly establishes itself, we should see the offense round into exactly the form you are stating is necessary to win a Superbowl. You can't tell me that an offense with guys like Adam Thielen, Stefon Diggs, Kyle Rudolph and now Irv Smith, and Dalvin Cook coming out of the backfield with Kirk Cousins at QB and a better offensive line can't credibly throw the ball when the offense can run it consistently like they have so far. No way. Give it time.

Defense is more troubling to me, because they do have the tendency to let down or let up or both at times in the Zimmer era. It hurt them against the Packers. We'll see if that game against the Packers was the wakeup call they needed to avoid something similar down the road. Like the talent in the passing game on offense, they've got everything they need to be a shutdown unit, including something few defenses in the modern NFL have which is continuity among their veteran starters.

This game against the Bears is going to tell us a lot about both the offense and defense.