Is this Zimmer's last year with the Vikings as head coach?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Is this Zimmer's last year with the Vikings as head coach?

Post by CharVike »

Purplepain2018 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:41 am Alluding to the subject title, I was okay after last year if the Vikings let Zimmer go and they started fresh with a new coach. There is a guy out there that I would absolutely LOVE for the Vikings to hire. His name....Mike McCarthy.

I really do like Mike Zimmer. He has really done some incredible things in Minnesota, especially with the defense. There are games, however, like the one Sunday where Zimmer coached teams do not show up to play. Now I know the defense stepped up after the first quarter and shut the Packers down, but the damage was already done. If you look at the history of how the Vikings play under Zimmer there are always at least two to three games a season where they just DO NOT SHOW UP TO PLAY.

Unfortunately, for Zimmer he will tied to Cousins as he was on board for giving him all that money as a free agent to bring him in. I think if we are all honest, Cousins just cannot win a big game. I don't know what it is. Against bad teams, Cousins looks pretty good, but against good teams and playoff teams, he stinks it up. So, in two weeks when the Vikings go on the road against the Bears is it going to be a repeat of what we saw on Sunday against the Packers? Odds are, yeah Cousins is going to stink it up, AGAIN.

Now I mentioned Mike McCarthy because I really believe he is a really good coach. He has won a Super Bowl, he knows the NFC North really well and he definitely knows the Packers, our biggest rival. He is an offensive guru coach and that really is what the NFL is an offensive league. He knows how to coach quarterbacks which is definitely what the Vikings need. The Vikings need to draft a QB and then let him develop and grow in the Vikings system.

This could be Zimmer's last year as Vikings head coach.
Yes McCarthy did win a Super Bowl. But he also had a fantastic QB. It's not like he took a bunch of garbage to the Super Bowl. Cousins blows against playoff teams that is true. Zim's great D blows against playoff teams also. I thought Cousins put enough points up last year to beat the Rams. But he gets the hit because we lost. Goff tore Zim's great D a new A hole. That's what happened. But it was all on Cousins. As for the Bears we will be lucky to score. You can pin that on our QB or call it what it is. The Bears play D. They held Rodgers to 10 points. I don't see how we will score. Rodgers is much better than Cousins. It's not even close. We need our championship D to throw a shut out. Then Cousins might get a win. If we can kick a FG. But that's a 50-50 deal at this point. Maybe our D will get a safety. 2-0 win. Then Cousins will have a win. I'd like to see Cousins throw 5 TD passes against the Bears. That may happen because we switched to a passing team after week 1.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:35 pm This guy. :rock:

https://twitter.com/nflnetwork/status/1 ... 52608?s=19
Pelissero: "Mark Wilf told me back in March that he hopes you'll be the head coach as long as you want."

Yikes.

I swear, it's as if this franchise and fan base are addicted to disappointment and underachievement.

As Zimmer said in the video clip, winning the Super Bowl is why they do what they do. I love that attitude. I like Zimmer too. I'm just not seeing anything about the trajectory of the Rick Spielman/Mike Zimmer era that suggests it will lead to a Super Bowl win. It looks like more of the same Vikings we've seen for decades.

Zimmer said he loves to prove people wrong. I hope he does it this year.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Mothman wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:45 am

Pelissero: "Mark Wilf told me back in March that he hopes you'll be the head coach as long as you want."

Yikes.

I swear, it's as if this franchise and fan base are addicted to disappointment and underachievement.

As Zimmer said in the video clip, winning the Super Bowl is why they do what they do. I love that attitude. I like Zimmer too. I'm just not seeing anything about the trajectory of the Rick Spielman/Mike Zimmer era that suggests it will lead to a Super Bowl win. It looks like more of the same Vikings we've seen for decades.

I agree with everything but the addiction part.

Cursed might be more like it...

:lol:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:16 amI agree with everything but the addiction part.

Cursed might be more like it...

:lol:
Ha! Well, there are those of us who feel that way too, of course.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Purplepain2018 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:41 am Alluding to the subject title, I was okay after last year if the Vikings let Zimmer go and they started fresh with a new coach. There is a guy out there that I would absolutely LOVE for the Vikings to hire. His name....Mike McCarthy.

I really do like Mike Zimmer. He has really done some incredible things in Minnesota, especially with the defense. There are games, however, like the one Sunday where Zimmer coached teams do not show up to play. Now I know the defense stepped up after the first quarter and shut the Packers down, but the damage was already done. If you look at the history of how the Vikings play under Zimmer there are always at least two to three games a season where they just DO NOT SHOW UP TO PLAY.

Unfortunately, for Zimmer he will tied to Cousins as he was on board for giving him all that money as a free agent to bring him in. I think if we are all honest, Cousins just cannot win a big game. I don't know what it is. Against bad teams, Cousins looks pretty good, but against good teams and playoff teams, he stinks it up. So, in two weeks when the Vikings go on the road against the Bears is it going to be a repeat of what we saw on Sunday against the Packers? Odds are, yeah Cousins is going to stink it up, AGAIN.

Now I mentioned Mike McCarthy because I really believe he is a really good coach. He has won a Super Bowl, he knows the NFC North really well and he definitely knows the Packers, our biggest rival. He is an offensive guru coach and that really is what the NFL is an offensive league. He knows how to coach quarterbacks which is definitely what the Vikings need. The Vikings need to draft a QB and then let him develop and grow in the Vikings system.

This could be Zimmer's last year as Vikings head coach.
First off, Zim won’t be fired at years end unless something drastic happened. But this is yet another overreaction on this board this week on top of so many already. One bad game and sitting at 1-1 and I’ve seen possibly letting Zim go, trading for Sloter, trading for Keenum, wanting teddy back and cutting cousins. I’m almost more ticked at myself than anything for revisiting the board time and time again this week. Because this is what happens on here when we have a bad game. ITS GOING ON WEEK 3!! Discuss this crap at the end of the year when we know what our record is, when we know what cousins does, when we know how far we advance. My goodness! Yeah it sucks we lost to the packers and had a chance in the end. It’s done and over with. It’s not week 16. We’ve played two games for crying out loud!

And second, Mike McCarthy??! Absolutely not. A guy that simply rode Rodgers coat tails and struggled to put legitimate defenses together. I’d rather see one of us coach the team than that guy.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Mothman wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:45 am

Yikes.

Zimmer is going to be stuck until he can take more of a lead in all phases of the game. He keeps relying on OCs to do everything for him in the offense but that's a huge problem in my eyes. Even if the OC does well they'll just be gone the next season. Meaning offensive success will always be temporary. You can't have a sustained vision if you keep changing leadership every season or every other season. Zimmer himself needs to be that leadership. The steady hand.

Zimmer needs to actually be guiding the offense. That's why his defenses have always been good (even if not 'championship"). He has a clear vision for the defense and drafts players that fit it. If he's incapable of doing that for the offense, he doesn't need to be a head coach.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Zimmer is fine. The only thing this team is missing is a not God-awful interior line and a better QB.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:26 am First off, Zim won’t be fired at years end unless something drastic happened. But this is yet another overreaction on this board this week on top of so many already. One bad game and sitting at 1-1 and I’ve seen possibly letting Zim go, trading for Sloter, trading for Keenum, wanting teddy back and cutting cousins. I’m almost more ticked at myself than anything for revisiting the board time and time again this week. Because this is what happens on here when we have a bad game. ITS GOING ON WEEK 3!! Discuss this crap at the end of the year when we know what our record is, when we know what cousins does, when we know how far we advance. My goodness! Yeah it sucks we lost to the packers and had a chance in the end. It’s done and over with. It’s not week 16. We’ve played two games for crying out loud!

And second, Mike McCarthy??! Absolutely not. A guy that simply rode Rodgers coat tails and struggled to put legitimate defenses together. I’d rather see one of us coach the team than that guy.
REPORTING FOR DUTY!! J/K

Honestly dude, it sometimes feels like half the responses on here didn't even watch the game. I saw our defense suck for 2.25 drives and then our offense couldn't get it's crap together to pounce on a floundering opponent who was ready to choke the game away. The Packers hardly looked like a playoff team, let alone a division winner.

I didn't see anything that can't be fixed.

What is most obnoxious is the doom and gloom here is just as omnipresent on AM1500 every day. Those guys think last Sunday was Cousin's ceiling and the defense needs ot be the 2000 Ravnes in order for us to even have a shot at a playoff win. It is absurd. Cousins didn't have that bad of a season last year: (4000 yards, 30 TD, anyone? Bueller?) but apparently after one bad week and an offseason on the stefanski kool-aid and now he is in the realm of Ponder. The pessimism is real!

Reality this OL is already looking better than last years and we are seeing more balanced play calling. Eventually the passing attack will find it's stride. Unless you actually believe Cousins really is a teenage princess who can't handle any kind of adversity. (Looking at you Zulugad.)

I'm pretty sure Cousins could have a perfect QBR and throw for 5 TDs and there would still be half the board saying "Oh it was just the Raiders against a good team he'll throw for 100 yards and 25 INTs."
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:23 pm Zimmer is fine. The only thing this team is missing is a not God-awful interior line and a better QB.
I don't think it's a coincidence that they haven't really been able to solve that problem under Zimmer.

To me, he's only fine if we consider what we've seen over the past 5 years and in the beginning of this season sufficient. His judgment when it comes to offense has always been questionable. Ditto for QBs and every year, we see games where his teams shows up flat or underperform in important games. For cryin' out loud, last year, with a playoff spot on the line, they were handled easily by a Bears team that had already clinched a postseason playoff spot! The year before, they were destroyed in the Championship game, looking unprepared for what the Eagles threw at them and unable to adjust to it. Last Sunday, the team looked like a mess to start the game and while I give Zimmer and his staff credit for sticking with the running game and making adjustments that allowed them to get back in the game, a start like that against their biggest rival (and a first-time NFL HC) in week 2 is just not good enough.

We've seen way too many performances like those under Zimmer. There's a pattern at work and it hasn't really changed, which is why the idea that discussion of his possible departure at the end of the season shouldn't just be viewed as an overreaction to last week's loss, as PHP implied above. Last week was simply our first indication in this new season that the same old issues remain. It probably won't be the last.

Following this team under Zimmer has felt an awful lot like being back in the Childress era only this time, the coach is likable.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

For what its worth...
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... fight-back
The Vikings had the NFC's best record (40-23-1) from 2015 to 2018, despite starting four different quarterbacks in Week 1.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:21 pmWhat is most obnoxious is the doom and gloom here is just as omnipresent on AM1500 every day. Those guys think last Sunday was Cousin's ceiling and the defense needs ot be the 2000 Ravnes in order for us to even have a shot at a playoff win. It is absurd. Cousins didn't have that bad of a season last year: (4000 yards, 30 TD, anyone? Bueller?) but apparently after one bad week and an offseason on the stefanski kool-aid and now he is in the realm of Ponder. The pessimism is real!

Of course it's real. They've won 2 playoff games in the past 14 seasons.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

mansquatch wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:21 pm

What is most obnoxious is the doom and gloom here is just as omnipresent on AM1500 every day. Those guys think last Sunday was Cousin's ceiling and the defense needs ot be the 2000 Ravnes in order for us to even have a shot at a playoff win. It is absurd. Cousins didn't have that bad of a season last year: (4000 yards, 30 TD, anyone? Bueller?) but apparently after one bad week and an offseason on the stefanski kool-aid and now he is in the realm of Ponder. The pessimism is real!
Please! Let us not go to the stats to defend Cousins. His ability to put up numbers is not in dispute. His physical skill set is not in dispute. His intelligence and ability to analyze is not in dispute. It is his ability to switch off analytical Kirk and switch on instinctive Kirk that is in question. He is a SUPER WASP! Even his last press conference where he takes responsibility for his poor play, he is going on about needing to make better risk/reward calculations :wallbang:

The poor guy just doesn't get it...
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Mothman wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:48 pm
dead_poet wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:23 pm Zimmer is fine. The only thing this team is missing is a not God-awful interior line and a better QB.
I don't think it's a coincidence that they haven't really been able to solve that problem under Zimmer.

To me, he's only fine if we consider what we've seen over the past 5 years and in the beginning of this season sufficient. His judgment when it comes to offense has always been questionable. Ditto for QBs and every year, we see games where his teams shows up flat or underperform in important games. For cryin' out loud, last year, with a playoff spot on the line, they were handled easily by a Bears team that had already clinched a postseason playoff spot! The year before, they were destroyed in the Championship game, looking unprepared for what the Eagles threw at them and unable to adjust to it. Last Sunday, the team looked like a mess to start the game and while I give Zimmer and his staff credit for sticking with the running game and making adjustments that allowed them to get back in the game, a start like that against their biggest rival (and a first-time NFL HC) in week 2 is just not good enough.

We've seen way too many performances like those under Zimmer. There's a pattern at work and it hasn't really changed, which is why the idea that discussion of his possible departure at the end of the season shouldn't just be viewed as an overreaction to last week's loss, as PHP implied above. Last week was simply our first indication in this new season that the same old issues remain. It probably won't be the last.

Following this team under Zimmer has felt an awful lot like being back in the Childress era only this time, the coach is a likable.
Yep, likability is the only difference between Childress and Zimmer. :roll:

There is a common denominator between those two though, the person tasked with scouting and identifying talent to put on the field.

I will also say that despite Zimmer's reputation for not being an offensive minded coach, every QB he has coached has had their best season under him. Bradford and Case by quite a bit in fact.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:15 pm
Mothman wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:48 pm

Following this team under Zimmer has felt an awful lot like being back in the Childress era only this time, the coach is likable.
Yep, likability is the only difference between Childress and Zimmer. :roll:
That's not even close to what I said.
There is a common denominator between those two though, the person tasked with scouting and identifying talent to put on the field.
Exactly, and that's one of several reasons following this team under Zimmer has felt an awful lot like being back in the Childress era. I was comparing the overall experience, not writing a head-to-head comparison between the two coaches. After all, despite my dislike of Childress, when his team made it to a conference championship, they were actually competitive. :twisted:

That's a joke, by the way.