Week 1 Win!: Falcons Post-Game Discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Week 1 Win!: Falcons Post-Game Discussion

Post by S197 »

Great game all around! Team really came out ready to play whereas the Falcons looked very much off their game. That's a good team with a ton of weapons once they gel. Ant Harris and the pass rush had a monster game as did Cook. Need to clean-up the penalties and hopefully Alexander isn't out too long (I think dislocated elbow is at least 4 weeks). On to Lambeau! :v): :smilevike:
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Week 1 Win!: Falcons Post-Game Discussion

Post by StumpHunter »

Either the Falcons are 3 win team, or we are going 14 in 2. Nothing in-between.
cogitator
Veteran

Post by cogitator »

10 passing attempts in pass happy NFL is weird. I didn't see the game, I am guessing by the rest of the stats that the running game and the defense were so good there was no need to pass. Whatever works I guess....
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

The good:

- The team looked jacked up. They showed a lot of energy and enthusiasm and looked ready to play on both sides of the ball. Very good sign to the start of any season. They were mentally and emotionally ready to play.
- Running game was efficient. The running game is really interesting so far based on what I've seen in the preseason and now the first game of the regular season, mostly because the run game seems explosive. I feel like on any given handoff the RB could explode for a big gainer, and that is true not just when Cook gets it, but even Mattison and Abdullah. This isn't a slog rushing attack. This attack can really hurt a defense quickly, and its going to be clear that defensive coordinators can't discount it.
- OK, here's the headline of the season - Cousins throws for under 100 yards and the Vikings score 28 points and win comfortably. How does that happen? See the aforementioned rushing attack coupled with multiple turnovers created by the defense. For those who don't believe in Cousins, this has to be great news. For those who do believe in Cousins, this is better news, because the Vikings didn't even have to deploy their passing attack to win. Imagine what can happen if Cousins and the passing game gets going.
- Scoring TDs and not settling for field goals in the red zone.
- The defense really looked pretty dominant for long stretches of the game. They seemed to relax in the 2nd half, but I thought they controlled the game when they wanted to against a vet QB and an offense that gets a decent amount of respect. Ryan looked rattled and made some really questionable decisions and I think the pressure up front had a lot to do with that.

The bad:

- How many times did the defense hand the Falcons a first down via penalty? The answer - way too many. Some of the flags on the defense were a little ticky-tack, but those penalties have to get cleaned up. It didn't hurt them today. Might not be so lucky next time.
- OK, while I listed Cousins throwing for under 100 yards showing the Vikings can win comfortably without putting the game on his shoulders, this can be listed as a bad as well because we don't know what the Vikings passing game can do. Cousins got drilled a few times, some almost leading to turnovers. Can the pass protection hold up, especially against the blitz? Is Cousins going to protect the ball under pressure and make good decisions under pressure? We won't know that for a few more games after today's performance because there just wasn't any need for a larger sample size.

The ugly:

- I can't think of anything ugly today.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

VikingLord wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:54 pm The good:

- The team looked jacked up. They showed a lot of energy and enthusiasm and looked ready to play on both sides of the ball. Very good sign to the start of any season. They were mentally and emotionally ready to play.
- Running game was efficient. The running game is really interesting so far based on what I've seen in the preseason and now the first game of the regular season, mostly because the run game seems explosive. I feel like on any given handoff the RB could explode for a big gainer, and that is true not just when Cook gets it, but even Mattison and Abdullah. This isn't a slog rushing attack. This attack can really hurt a defense quickly, and its going to be clear that defensive coordinators can't discount it.
- OK, here's the headline of the season - Cousins throws for under 100 yards and the Vikings score 28 points and win comfortably. How does that happen? See the aforementioned rushing attack coupled with multiple turnovers created by the defense. For those who don't believe in Cousins, this has to be great news. For those who do believe in Cousins, this is better news, because the Vikings didn't even have to deploy their passing attack to win. Imagine what can happen if Cousins and the passing game gets going.
- Scoring TDs and not settling for field goals in the red zone.
- The defense really looked pretty dominant for long stretches of the game. They seemed to relax in the 2nd half, but I thought they controlled the game when they wanted to against a vet QB and an offense that gets a decent amount of respect. Ryan looked rattled and made some really questionable decisions and I think the pressure up front had a lot to do with that.

The bad:

- How many times did the defense hand the Falcons a first down via penalty? The answer - way too many. Some of the flags on the defense were a little ticky-tack, but those penalties have to get cleaned up. It didn't hurt them today. Might not be so lucky next time.
- OK, while I listed Cousins throwing for under 100 yards showing the Vikings can win comfortably without putting the game on his shoulders, this can be listed as a bad as well because we don't know what the Vikings passing game can do. Cousins got drilled a few times, some almost leading to turnovers. Can the pass protection hold up, especially against the blitz? Is Cousins going to protect the ball under pressure and make good decisions under pressure? We won't know that for a few more games after today's performance because there just wasn't any need for a larger sample size.

The ugly:

- I can't think of anything ugly today.
Elflien was pretty ugly today. 3 plays where he simply got beat and his defender tee'd off on our RB or QB.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

TURNOVERS
For all the great statistics Mike Zimmer's defenses have put up, this is the one area they've lacked. They just don't take the ball away from the other team very much.

But today ... 3 big turnovers and a blocked punt.

Anthony Harris was all over the place today. It's an overused cliche, but the guy really has a nose for the ball. Both interceptions and the fumble recovery. Trae Waynes made a great play on Freeman to force the fumble. Eric Wilson's blocked punt was a thing of beauty. He just destroyed that play.

Think about the first few minutes of the game. Sack on the first play, setting up Atlanta to go 3-and-out. Vikings block the punt, then go in to score. Next series, Ryan throws the first pick -- GREAT play by Harris to win the 50-50 ball from Julio Jones. Vikings score again. That game was over before it started.

RED ZONE
Last year we scored touchdowns on just 54% of our red zone possessions, which was 31st in the league. Today we were 4-for-4. I don't even have to look it up. That's No. 1 in the NFL, at least for one week.

The best part was HOW we moved the ball in the red zone -- by running it. If you can run the ball in the red zone, you can win games. John DeFilippo, red zone genius ... kiss my butt.

DALVIN, DALVIN, DALVIN
This guy is the real deal, Vikings fans. Vision, patience, burst ... and he delivers the lumber at the end of the run. Gotta keep him healthy, but he is poised for a huge season. (On a side note, Alexander Mattison was pretty darned good himself, averaging 5 ypc.)

GARY KUBIAK
I have been singing this tune since the day he was hired ... it's the best coaching hire Zimmer has made. The line had a few issues pass protecting on the interior, but for the most part, that was the best our O-line has played since I don't know when. The outside zone blocking is perfect for guys like Cook and Mattison, who are one-cut guys with great vision and anticipation. Zimmer wanted a running game. It appears he has one.

NOT WASHED UP AFTER ALL
For those of you who thought Xavier Rhodes was on the downswing ... think again. Once again, Julio Jones was reduced to human against Rhodes. Geez, I'm glad we've got this guy.

HARRY DELIVERS THE HITS
I thought Harrison Smith quietly played a good game today. No interceptions, no sacks, but he had his nose in there for plenty of plays.

NO DRAMA IN THE KICKING GAME
A good holder actually makes a difference? Who woulda thunk?

Guys, that was just plain fun to watch. I mean, blitzing Anthony Barr and getting a sack on the FIRST PLAY? Dang, Zimmer wasn't messing around. He knew they had rookies on the O-line, and he tested them early. That sort of set the tone for the entire game.

On to Lambleau Field. Let's make Aaron Rodgers feel like he's playing the Bears all over again.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

We probably have the best safety tandem in the league. I think Barr is going to have a career year. It's great to have Griffin back at full mental and physical health. Mattison looks good. The pass blocking needs to improve. Kirk got rocked too much. Big game coming up.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Even better than I could have expected. A very encouraging game 1.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

They did what they said they were going to do. People need to forget about the 300-400 yards passing. This isn't that offense. It's an offense that has a purpose. They will lay the wood to you. Get ready because we are coming. That's what I like to see. On the chat I was pissed that they even tried throwing in the 2nd half. No need for that. Just pound them into nothing. Kirk had 10 pass attempts the 1st half I think. That was plenty and the game was out of reach at that point. Now will every week go like this? I wish it would. But we will get into some dog fights and Kirk will need to make some plays. But this OL will get destroyed if we go pass heavy and Kirk eventually won't get up. Elf might get somebody killed. No expert expected us to smash this team. It was a true butt kicking. The Harris guy was tremendous. That's what I like to see. Interceptions. Get the ball back. I'm impressed. Great job across the board. This Mattison kid also showed what he is. We have a solid one two punch. Now get that Rodgers next.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Everything has been touched on already, but I want to mention the special teams. Everything Bailey kicked was right down the middle. He hit the crossbar on a kick off. Colquitt had to have elaveraged over 50 yards per punt, but he kicked it high too, so he didn't out kick the coverage.
And I don't think there was a special teams penalty on either team, which had to be ridiculously rare.

I was at the game, and let me tell you, the noise in that place was like I had never heard before. After Barr's sack and the blocked punt, it was deafening. Great job by the fans!
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:31 pm Everything has been touched on already, but I want to mention the special teams. Everything Bailey kicked was right down the middle. He hit the crossbar on a kick off. Colquitt had to have elaveraged over 50 yards per punt, but he kicked it high too, so he didn't out kick the coverage.
And I don't think there was a special teams penalty on either team, which had to be ridiculously rare.

I was at the game, and let me tell you, the noise in that place was like I had never heard before. After Barr's sack and the blocked punt, it was deafening. Great job by the fans!
Great points. That new punter was tremendous. Give Speilman credit for fixing a mistake quickly.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

CharVike wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:45 pm
PurpleMustReign wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:31 pm Everything has been touched on already, but I want to mention the special teams. Everything Bailey kicked was right down the middle. He hit the crossbar on a kick off. Colquitt had to have elaveraged over 50 yards per punt, but he kicked it high too, so he didn't out kick the coverage.

Great points. That new punter was tremendous. Give Speilman credit for fixing a mistake quickly.
Well it's only one week. But, it was a very solid special teams game from the Vikings, something we haven't seen in a while.

Edit... I don't want to make it seem like I am avoiding giving him credit... But I want to finally see consistency from the special teams in all areas before ire I do.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:46 pm
CharVike wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:45 pm
Well it's only one week. But, it was a very solid special teams game from the Vikings, something we haven't seen in a while.

Edit... I don't want to make it seem like I am avoiding giving him credit... But I want to finally see consistency from the special teams in all areas before ire I do.
Don't blame you. We are all jacked over this win which can cloud rational thought. Mine included. Time will tell all.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

One of the best starts I’ve ever seen a Vikings team have. We dominated them from the first snap on. This is what I have longed for from cook. Always knew he had this in him. But he was either hurt or ignored by flip.

This is why I said time in and time out last year that you couldn’t tell me we “can’t” run the ball last year. We could but it was ignored. Granted the OL got a little better but still. Cook is too good. He’s going to break runs. Loved what mattison showed too.

Defense was amazing all day. Back to form. Harris is a beast, Barr is back playing at a high level, Kendrick’s was a stud today, pass rush was dominant, just awesome.

Now I mentioned this in the chat and wanted to explain a little more in depth but the constant under center plays had me scratching my head. Reason being was, when we were in passing situations, Cousins was under center taking 5-7 step drops and having to throw. Our OL still isn’t sound enough to constantly do this. Cousins nearly got killed 2 times today and it wasn’t because he was “holding the ball too long”. He had a guy on his back when he got to the back of his drop. I wanna see more runs out of the gun. Not constantly, just a little more balance in that regard. Against legit pass rush teams, they are going to eat this up. Cousins did solid under pressure for the most past. That thielen TD he had guys right in his face. But we’re dropping Kirk back under center too much. Some play action helps but just a straight 5-7 step drop makes me nervous each time. Not TOTALLY against it, I just hope they make some adjustments there so we can keep our QB upright
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Anthony Harris is exactly what we've needed on defense since Zimmer got here. Hitman is a top safety and Rhodes is a top corner, but neither are really ball hawks. Harris seems to make turnovers happen - I think back to his first significant game time against the Rams in 2017 and he forced a crucial fumble right when the Rams were about to score. The dude knows how to get turnovers. Now we've got a stifling defense and a dude who can create turnovers. I love it.