Division Rivals Topic

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Division Rivals Topic

Post by Cliff »

There's been a lot of talk about the other teams in the division especially because two of them have already played games. Seemed like a good idea to have a thread for it. Might be interesting to see how opinions change as the season goes on.

The Bears defense is crazy. It did really well I thought. They were fast and got to the ball quickly. In the backfield a lot. The Bears receivers are garbage if that game is any indication. The young QB made some boneheaded plays but his targets didn't do him any favors. They tried a bunch of "gadget" type stuff to begin the game. Moving people around a lot pre-snap. They didn't start looking decent until they stopped doing that. Trubisky didn't look comfortable until the offense started to run more "normally".

Greenbay looked pretty good considering the Bears defense which again, was outstanding. Their defense played well but not as much as the Bears offense was terrible, I don't think. The pundits picks about Greenbay might not be far off, unfortunately. It's only one game and all that, of course.

I don't have a good read on Detroit from the off season. Anybody have a take on them?

The Vikings offense is going to have to step it up in this division. It's got some good defenses in it. Greenbay has been building, Chicago looks to have a good one, and the Vikings still do, I think. I think it's going to come down to how well the offenses in the division can do. I'm sure that's why so many pundits are choosing Greenbay. With Rodgers their offense is the safest bet. I think if Cook can stay healthy and the line is improved the Vikings probably have the best overall offense though.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Division Rivals Topic

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I will preface this with my normal disclaimer: I HATE Green Bay more passionately than the devil, and the Bears are a close second. When they play, I always wish they could somehow both lose.

On Thursday, that darned near happened.

It was the perfect of example of "the worst team lost."

Matt Nagy, another boy wonder genius offensive coach, called 15 running plays and 45 pass plays ... in a close, low-scoring game. Worst offensive game planning since John DeFilippo. Tarik Cohen had zero carries. David Montgomery, rookie wunderkind, had 6 carries for 18 yards. And Trubisky was absolutely horrible. He missed open receivers and threw into coverage all night long. And the interception he actually threw was nothing compared to the two he should have thrown had the Packers "great new" defense not biffed them.

Rodgers, on the other hand, was very, very average. Take away his one competent drive, and his QBR was right around 60, which is downright Trubiskian. I get it that the Bears' defense is pretty darned good, but this is Aaron Rodgers. Davonte Adams did almost nothing, and Aaron Jones, who is supposed to be the new breakout Adrian Peterson, had a grand total of 39 yards.

The Bears' defense is the real deal, but I have to wonder if they can keep up the turnover barrage they had last year. Green Bay didn't turn the ball over. Plus, Matt Nagy is far too in love with his Mr. Mediocrity, I mean Trubisky. I think the Vikings would have shredded the Packers' defense. Trubisky missed a bunch of open guys, and who knows if Green Bay can stop the run? They didn't have to.

Can't look past Atlanta, especially now that they've locked up Julio Jones with a huge contract. He's gonna really be motivated to have a big game, and we have no idea how effective Xavier Rhodes is going to be. But I have to admit ... watching the Packers and Bears slop their way around the field Thursday makes me feel better about the Vikings' chances in the division.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

We have a good team. My concern and I have said this all off season can we stop the better QBs. These 1st two weeks will tell the story. I want to see our D handle Ryan. As for Rhodes I've been down on him. He needs to prove me wrong and shut down Jones. Don't give him anything. If that happens we win. If Jones has a field day we lose. Of course the whole team needs to play well every week. I'd hate to see the Packers win this division. But they beat the top dog on the road. That's hard to do. That team marching into Chicago and winning is impressive. But others have said it Trubisky sucks and that may be true. That opens the door because they can't score. But that D is good and they do what I like and that's get TOs. We have a tough road and can't let a do nothing team beat us. Like the Bills last year. I hope we win the division and get home field. That's a tall order and time will tell.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Cliff wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:20 pm There's been a lot of talk about the other teams in the division especially because two of them have already played games. Seemed like a good idea to have a thread for it. Might be interesting to see how opinions change as the season goes on.

The Bears defense is crazy. It did really well I thought. They were fast and got to the ball quickly. In the backfield a lot. The Bears receivers are garbage if that game is any indication. The young QB made some boneheaded plays but his targets didn't do him any favors. They tried a bunch of "gadget" type stuff to begin the game. Moving people around a lot pre-snap. They didn't start looking decent until they stopped doing that. Trubisky didn't look comfortable until the offense started to run more "normally".

Greenbay looked pretty good considering the Bears defense which again, was outstanding. Their defense played well but not as much as the Bears offense was terrible, I don't think. The pundits picks about Greenbay might not be far off, unfortunately. It's only one game and all that, of course.

I don't have a good read on Detroit from the off season. Anybody have a take on them?

The Vikings offense is going to have to step it up in this division. It's got some good defenses in it. Greenbay has been building, Chicago looks to have a good one, and the Vikings still do, I think. I think it's going to come down to how well the offenses in the division can do. I'm sure that's why so many pundits are choosing Greenbay. With Rodgers their offense is the safest bet. I think if Cook can stay healthy and the line is improved the Vikings probably have the best overall offense though.
Greenbay's receivers are their biggest weakness, for the Bears it is their QB and for the Lions it is the fact they are the Lions. Ours is still the Oline.

GB and Chicago are going to struggle in the passing game against better defenses, and so will we. Who wins the division is probably going to come down to who has the better run game and defense, which puts us at #2 in the division.

The Packers, despite the win Thursday, might end up 4th in the division.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:08 am
Cliff wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:20 pm There's been a lot of talk about the other teams in the division especially because two of them have already played games. Seemed like a good idea to have a thread for it. Might be interesting to see how opinions change as the season goes on.

Greenbay's receivers are their biggest weakness, for the Bears it is their QB and for the Lions it is the fact they are the Lions. Ours is still the Oline.

GB and Chicago are going to struggle in the passing game against better defenses, and so will we. Who wins the division is probably going to come down to who has the better run game and defense, which puts us at #2 in the division.

The Packers, despite the win Thursday, might end up 4th in the division.
This is parity. I've been watching since the early 70s. I used to live and die with our team. I'm no longer rapid like that. Some things Zimmer and Speilman do make me scratch my head. I'm sure all fans feel that way about there team. Our team played a great game today. Some wanted more passing but I like the fact that we ran the ball well and played great D. That was the game plan and they stuck to it. Many bad things can happen when passing the football. There are some good things also. This Harris guy looks like a play maker. I like TOs. I was shocked how easy it was. I said I wanted to see a spanking and we did it. I don't expect this every week but it was nice to see. We have some weak spots but all teams have that. Some feel not being considered a top dog is a good thing and they may be right. We need to play well week in and week out. Next is a big one and I hope we take it to them.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Detroit had a huge letdown not coming away with that win. T.J. Hockenson looks like a star.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.