Report: Hughes may not be ready for Week 1

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Report: Hughes may not be ready for Week 1

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

A source close to the Vikings -- Paul Allen -- has this to say about Mike Hughes.
Paul Allen on KFAN said he would bet on Vikings CB Mike Hughes NOT being active Week 1 against Atlanta.
Ugh. I hope he's wrong. With Holton Hill suspended for the first four games, this would be a potential issue for the Vikings. We'd have to hope that Rhodes, Waynes and Alexander don't suffer any injuries, or we may be in trouble.

I guess this is why Mike Zimmer says you can't have too many cornerbacks.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Report: Hughes may not be ready for Week 1

Post by VikingsVictorious »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:25 pm A source close to the Vikings -- Paul Allen -- has this to say about Mike Hughes.
Paul Allen on KFAN said he would bet on Vikings CB Mike Hughes NOT being active Week 1 against Atlanta.
Ugh. I hope he's wrong. With Holton Hill suspended for the first four games, this would be a potential issue for the Vikings. We'd have to hope that Rhodes, Waynes and Alexander don't suffer any injuries, or we may be in trouble.

I guess this is why Mike Zimmer says you can't have too many cornerbacks.
There is a chance with every player on the roster that they "may" not be ready for week one. If he's ready great. If not next man up. :govikes:
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

When I stated months ago I didn't expect him back right off the bat I was told I didn't understand modern medicine. They all come back. He will be back at some point but he wont be close to the player he was. Next year is when he will be back and ready to go if things break perfectly. Everyone needs to forget Holton Hill. The team took a chance on him which was a good move but they need to say bye bye at this point. He laid the BS on them but it was the same old story again. It won't change. Eventually he'll get some serious charge for a PED, pot really, and won't be able to play again. No sense wasting time on him. Next guy up if we have one. Better hope Rhodes is focused and can spring back to form. Otherwise we are in deep crap ola. Ywo deep don't cut it for a secondary.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:05 am When I stated months ago I didn't expect him back right off the bat I was told I didn't understand modern medicine. They all come back. He will be back at some point but he wont be close to the player he was. Next year is when he will be back and ready to go if things break perfectly. Everyone needs to forget Holton Hill. The team took a chance on him which was a good move but they need to say bye bye at this point. He laid the BS on them but it was the same old story again. It won't change. Eventually he'll get some serious charge for a PED, pot really, and won't be able to play again. No sense wasting time on him. Next guy up if we have one. Better hope Rhodes is focused and can spring back to form. Otherwise we are in deep crap ola. Ywo deep don't cut it for a secondary.
There's a decent chance that Hughes is as good or better than last year. We won't know until we see.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:42 pm
CharVike wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:05 am When I stated months ago I didn't expect him back right off the bat I was told I didn't understand modern medicine. They all come back. He will be back at some point but he wont be close to the player he was. Next year is when he will be back and ready to go if things break perfectly. Everyone needs to forget Holton Hill. The team took a chance on him which was a good move but they need to say bye bye at this point. He laid the BS on them but it was the same old story again. It won't change. Eventually he'll get some serious charge for a PED, pot really, and won't be able to play again. No sense wasting time on him. Next guy up if we have one. Better hope Rhodes is focused and can spring back to form. Otherwise we are in deep crap ola. Ywo deep don't cut it for a secondary.
There's a decent chance that Hughes is as good or better than last year. We won't know until we see.
Hughes will be better when if he comes back. It won't be this year though. We still have Rhodes, Waynes and Alexander. Not bad at all and very good if Rhonds can play at a prior level. But he's old for a player and he's slowing down. They all do. Of course he'll say I'm hurt. No start playing and stay of TV for a little bit. If he's finished it's a big problem. That could happen to. I certainly don't want that but I wouldn't be surprised. He needs to get back to football first.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

My worry right now is depth. Hughes won't start even if he's ready for the season. But without Holton Hill, without Marcus Sherels, who plays after Rhodes, Waynes and Mack?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:27 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:42 pm
Hughes will be better when if he comes back. It won't be this year though. We still have Rhodes, Waynes and Alexander. Not bad at all and very good if Rhonds can play at a prior level. But he's old for a player and he's slowing down. They all do. Of course he'll say I'm hurt. No start playing and stay of TV for a little bit. If he's finished it's a big problem. That could happen to. I certainly don't want that but I wouldn't be surprised. He needs to get back to football first.
Hughes certainly could be back this year. Many players come back after these injuries at a very high level the very next season. Will Hughes be one of those?? Nobody knows. Not you and not me. You are acting like you know for a fact that Hughes will not come back strong. You are just taking a negative guess with very little to support your guess.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:47 pm My worry right now is depth. Hughes won't start even if he's ready for the season. But without Holton Hill, without Marcus Sherels, who plays after Rhodes, Waynes and Mack?
Hughes IMO showed that he was either already superior to Waynes and Mack last season or that he soon would be. IF he is healthy for this season not only could he back up those guys, but he could surpass a couple of those guys before the season is done.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:47 pm My worry right now is depth. Hughes won't start even if he's ready for the season. But without Holton Hill, without Marcus Sherels, who plays after Rhodes, Waynes and Mack?
I would guess Kris Boyd
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:54 pm
I would guess Kris Boyd
I would guess Hughes. :govikes:
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:55 am
Hughes IMO showed that he was either already superior to Waynes and Mack last season or that he soon would be. IF he is healthy for this season not only could he back up those guys, but he could surpass a couple of those guys before the season is done.
Hughes has a ton of potential, and he had a pick-6 in his first game, but that was a bad throw by Garappolo. He wasn't better than either Waynes or Mack overall, especially Mack later in the season. That's my opinion, of course, but it's supported even by the things Mike Zimmer and DBs coach Jerry Gray said last year. He did some things well, but he made rookie mistakes.

That being said, there's little doubt that Hughes' potential is huge. He's got the physical traits, the smarts, and the work ethic to be a Pro Bowl corner. The injury really set back his development, which is a shame.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:46 am

I would guess Kris Boyd
I meant if Hughes isn't ready to go.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:52 am
CharVike wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:27 pm
Hughes certainly could be back this year. Many players come back after these injuries at a very high level the very next season. Will Hughes be one of those?? Nobody knows. Not you and not me. You are acting like you know for a fact that Hughes will not come back strong. You are just taking a negative guess with very little to support your guess.
Negative guess? The guy was hurt week 6. If he's back by then I'll be surprised. I don't call that negative it's my expectation. I hope he is back week 1 and starts and is an elite CB, Is that the positive guess that fits better. I don't see that happening. My take on Rhodes is a negative guess also I assume. The truth is he's old and his play declined and he begged out. That's what I saw. The positive guess is he will be better than ever this year. That's not happening. If he was in his early 20s then yea it could. It happened with Alexander because he was a younger developing player.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:46 am

I would guess Kris Boyd
haha I mean I would hope he's ready by then and I'm optimistic he will be but if need be, we would have to resort to Boyd
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:50 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:52 am
Negative guess? The guy was hurt week 6. If he's back by then I'll be surprised. I don't call that negative it's my expectation. I hope he is back week 1 and starts and is an elite CB, Is that the positive guess that fits better. I don't see that happening. My take on Rhodes is a negative guess also I assume. The truth is he's old and his play declined and he begged out. That's what I saw. The positive guess is he will be better than ever this year. That's not happening. If he was in his early 20s then yea it could. It happened with Alexander because he was a younger developing player.
You weren't even phrasing your belief as a guess. You were stating it as far as I can tell as if it was a fact. There are only two possibilities on him being ready for week one. The positive one is yes. The negative one is no. I'm not venturing a guess yet because information is in short supply. The first thing I heard was his recovery was going great and ahead of schedule. The second thing was PA conjecturing he wouldn't be ready for week one. Many players recover in less than a year.