Dillon Mitchell was blackballed

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Dillon Mitchell was blackballed

Post by VikingsVictorious »

I think the Vikings got a STEAL in Dillon Mitchell. I found this on The Daily Norseman.

By Christopher Gates May 11, 2019, 9:47am PDT
A tweet by Dillon's Father.

One week ago today the Minnesota Vikings @Vikings drafted my son, @DMFM1_ taking a chance on him and giving him an opportunity. I want to personally thank the Vikings ofganization myself for the once in a lifetime opportunity. Due to a few entrusted individuals with ill intent (and you know who you are) who gave NFL teams some false negative info about his team character he dropped in the draft from a 3rd round graded selection to the 7th round. His head coach verified that the info was false and not true but teams went with it anyway. Everyone who really knows him knows that his skills speak for themselves and what his true team character really is, which is to work hard to be the best player he can be for his team. To those individuals as the saying goes “No man can stop what God has for you.” Again @Vikings Thank You!

Now, I assume that by saying that Mitchell was a “3rd round graded selection,” the elder Mitchell is referring to the grade that Dillon Mitchell received from the College Advisory Committee, the body that college underclassmen are able to consult with when making their decision to declare for the Draft or not. Obviously, we can’t confirm that one way or another, but that’s the impression I get from the statement.
Dillon Mitchell was coming off of a season where he set the Oregon school record for receiving yardage with 1,184 yards on 75 receptions, and also had ten receiving touchdowns. He did come out after his junior year, which is more reason to believe that he did get a decent grade from the advisory board. I wouldn’t think he would have declared for the draft otherwise.
I haven’t been able to find anything resembling a mark against Mitchell’s character, whether on the field or off, from any sort of search that I’ve done. I don’t recall hearing anything during the pre-draft process, either.
If Mitchell was given a third-round grade by the College Advisory Committee and wasn’t selected until the Vikings grabbed him at #239 overall, it certainly sounds like he’s going to get to Eagan this summer with some extra motivation to make his way up a wide receiver depth chart that, after the first two spots, is pretty much wide open.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Dillon Mitchell was blackballed

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Really like this pick and think he has a good shot at taking the number three spot.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Gotta say ... if we hit on Mitchell, that would give us a 5th rounder, a 7th rounder, and a tryout camp retainee as our wide receiving corps.

There ought to be some kind of award for that.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 1:02 pm Gotta say ... if we hit on Mitchell, that would give us a 5th rounder, a 7th rounder, and a tryout camp retainee as our wide receiving corps.

Beebee and/or Zylstra might make it too. Once Treadwell is gone, Diggs might be our highest drafted receiver!

I'm cautiously optimistic on Mitchell. I think he'll make the PS.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 1:02 pm Gotta say ... if we hit on Mitchell, that would give us a 5th rounder, a 7th rounder, and a tryout camp retainee as our wide receiving corps.

Hopefully, there is. It's called the Lombardi trophy.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

S197 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 3:26 pm

Beebee and/or Zylstra might make it too. Once Treadwell is gone, Diggs might be our highest drafted receiver!

I'm cautiously optimistic on Mitchell. I think he'll make the PS.
You think too small my friend.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Well, if Penny Hardaway said the Vikes got a steal, it's gotta be right!

Really though...all I know is Mitchell torched the UW Huskies and as it currently stands, UW is DBU. Been churning out NFL starting caliber DB's left and right and this last seasons crop is no different and might end up with having the best individuals yet (Rapp & Byron Murphy specifically), so take that for what it's worth.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

PacificNorseWest wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:00 am Well, if Penny Hardaway said the Vikes got a steal, it's gotta be right!

Really though...all I know is Mitchell torched the UW Huskies and as it currently stands, UW is DBU. Been churning out NFL starting caliber DB's left and right and this last seasons crop is no different and might end up with having the best individuals yet (Rapp & Byron Murphy specifically), so take that for what it's worth.
Thanks for this. I was unaware of the quality of the UW DBs. Mitchell had 14 receptions I believe for 229 yards against them and seemed to be wide open on every play.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I think they deserve a reward just for Thielen. UDFA and local. Best story in MN sports since Joe Mauer IMO.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Having coached youth and HS sports for years, I don't believe a thing a parent of an athlete says about why their son has a bad reputation. 99 out of 100 times if a player has a reputation, they have earned that reputation, and 99 out of 100 times their Dad will have some excuse for their kid.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

StumpHunter wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:05 am Having coached youth and HS sports for years, I don't believe a thing a parent of an athlete says about why their son has a bad reputation. 99 out of 100 times if a player has a reputation, they have earned that reputation, and 99 out of 100 times their Dad will have some excuse for their kid.
It wasn't just his dad. It was his coaches and teammates who disputed the negative report. I would like to know who gave the negative reports.
Last edited by VikingsVictorious on Mon May 13, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:42 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:05 am Having coached youth and HS sports for years, I don't believe a thing a parent of an athlete says about why their son has a bad reputation. 99 out of 100 times if a player has a reputation, they have earned that reputation, and 99 out of 100 times their Dad will have some excuse for their kid.
It wasn't just his dad. It was his coaches and teammates who disputed the negative report.
According to his Dad. We don't know what was disputed or who said what. We have a tweet from a parent alleging someone relatively trustworthy (why else would GMs believe them?) said negative things about his kid that may or may not be true.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

StumpHunter wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:49 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:42 pm
It wasn't just his dad. It was his coaches and teammates who disputed the negative report.
According to his Dad. We don't know what was disputed or who said what. We have a tweet from a parent alleging someone relatively trustworthy (why else would GMs believe them?) said negative things about his kid that may or may not be true.
I would like to know who made the negative report.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Advisory boards mess up all the time. This isnt unusual.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

duplicate deleted.
Last edited by VikingsVictorious on Mon May 13, 2019 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.