Kyle Rudolph unfollows Vikings after Irv Smith Jr. drafted

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Kyle Rudolph unfollows Vikings after Irv Smith Jr. drafted

Post by YikesVikes »

This board continues to amuse me. The sky is falling meme vs. the everything is fine dog meme.
I for one was ready to move on from Rudolph because I believe that his asking price of 9 million was too rich for his production. He is paid like a 1000 yard TE and he isn't one (regardless of targets). Our mantra has always been fix contracts the year before to save money. Now you guys are saying signing guys after their contract expire is ok (Mac and Waynes). I would gladly give up Rudolph for Mac long term.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

YikesVikes wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:38 pm This board continues to amuse me. The sky is falling meme vs. the everything is fine dog meme.
I for one was ready to move on from Rudolph because I believe that his asking price of 9 million was too rich for his production. He is paid like a 1000 yard TE and he isn't one (regardless of targets). Our mantra has always been fix contracts the year before to save money. Now you guys are saying signing guys after their contract expire is ok (Mac and Waynes). I would gladly give up Rudolph for Mac long term.
Football is still a business and Rudy's contributions off the field are good for the Vikings brand. If he were an #### he would be long gone, but the guy is a perennial man of the year candidate so the Vikes want to keep him.

I for one am okay with that.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:02 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:38 pm This board continues to amuse me. The sky is falling meme vs. the everything is fine dog meme.
Football is still a business and Rudy's contributions off the field are good for the Vikings brand. If he were an #### he would be long gone, but the guy is a perennial man of the year candidate so the Vikes want to keep him.

I for one am okay with that.
I am fine with it as well. Here is my thing, last year the majority of this board was saying that we were going to lose a few big name guys. I remember seeing Rudy, griff, trading Waynes, letting Barr walk, trading Rhodes, etc. The only impact player we lost IMO was Richardson who most figured was a one year rental anyways. I was a big Richardson advocate but his future here was always a question mark because he only signed a 1 year deal.

However my point is, guys said we would lose this guy or that guy (basically because of Cousins contract and overall cap situation). What ended up happening? We still have every one of them and just saved $4 mill by giving Rudy an extension. So why are we worried about Waynes and Mac right now? I don’t think there is a better cap manager in the nfl than Bryzinski. Guys might be hard on Spielman but him and Bryzinski know what they are doing. During the eagles SB run they were nearly buried in debt too. I highly doubt Spielman, Zim and Bryzinski are worried about losing 25 and 26 year old CBs because they gave a 30 year old TE an extension. Do you think Zim would really let that slide? I highly doubt it. I could be wrong but knowing how these guys work behind the scenes. They have this stuff planned out.

I truly think Zim had a plan all along with 3 tech DT as well. I think there is a reason we signed Richardson to a one year deal. He knew guys like Holmes and Hercules (who ended up getting hurt) weren’t going to be ready so Richardson was a stop gap. The more I think about it the more I like what we did there. Stephen is a great run defender and we got him fairly cheap. And I think either Holmes or Hercules are really going to emerge this year. Maybe even both. Both have quietly been talked up by Zim and other coaches.

One thing you never have to worry about with Zim here is our plan on defense. He’s arguably one of the best defensive coaches in the league. As much as some might hate this front office, they really seem to know what they’re doing. I don’t think there is any reason to worry about Mac or Waynes. And if we do lose one, we have Hughes and Hill (if he can stay out of trouble). And I would rule out Boyd. But I think they will try to keep all of them together and I think they will in the end
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:35 pm
Raptorman wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:14 am
3 million over next years cap? Really? What is next years cap? Did you get your numbers from Over the Cap? Because if you did, maybe you should have noticed that according to them we have 63 players under contract for 2020. As far as I know, 63 is 10 too many. Worry about next years cap, next year.
They only use the top 51 in their calcs and this is based on the projected cap of around 200 million. They usually get that right.

Once the Vikings cut Griff, or if he plays well and opts out of his deal, they should be back under by a couple million. That still leaves two starters, our slot corner and Griffen's replacement unsigned though.
They also have no idea what next years cap will be. And while they list it at 200, it could be higher or lower. I'm not really going to be concerned about next years cap until next year. That's about equivalent to worrying about someone getting injured next year, or this for that matter. Useless brain drain.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Raptorman wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:05 am
StumpHunter wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:35 pm
They only use the top 51 in their calcs and this is based on the projected cap of around 200 million. They usually get that right.

Once the Vikings cut Griff, or if he plays well and opts out of his deal, they should be back under by a couple million. That still leaves two starters, our slot corner and Griffen's replacement unsigned though.
They also have no idea what next years cap will be. And while they list it at 200, it could be higher or lower. I'm not really going to be concerned about next years cap until next year. That's about equivalent to worrying about someone getting injured next year, or this for that matter. Useless brain drain.
Just saying your meme was a bit premature.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

CharVike wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:03 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:03 am
The Vikings trading Rudy made some sense due to the cap space needed. However, I have seen people on many sites that undervalue Rudy so much they thought the Vikings would just cut him for the space and then New England was going to sign him for $3 million. Rudy was never in any danger whatsoever of not getting his $7.625 million this season. The Vikings upped his contract for the next two years to average over $8 million. That was an offer too good for Rudy to refuse.
The Vikings tried to trade him. If his value was so high we would have rec an offer that couldn't be turned down. The offer wasn't there. That tells you all that needs to be known. They should have cut him and signed that FA G that teams were fighting over. Now they will plug in one of the worst Gs Kline. Rudy is old and slow and is not known as a punishing blocker. That's not worth much. He caught Speilman doing something and now he's a lifer.
They did not try to trade him. They listened to offers and their were offers, but nothing good enough to accept. I'm guessing if they were offered a 3rd they would have taken it. Not sure. So since they didn't get the offer they wanted they went with plan B an extension to save 4 million cap this year at the cost of guaranteeing two years at a little more than Rudy is worth.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:27 am
Raptorman wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:05 am
No. It's spot on for this year.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Raptorman wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:00 am
StumpHunter wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:27 am

Except for the guys we couldn't re-sign, it was.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:26 am
Raptorman wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:00 am
Who did we want to re-sign that we couldnt because of the cap?.....
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:05 am
StumpHunter wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:26 am

Richardson and Murray
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:27 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:05 am

Richardson and Murray
You have proof that we wanted them back? And it wasnt because Murray didnt want to play second fiddle to Cook and Richardson wanted more than another 1 year deal?

I know Murray said this:
“Even with Dalvin starting and things like that, I want everybody to know, make no mistake about it, I want to play. I want to start,” Murray said on Monday’s locker-clean-out day. “I’m not content with being in a backup role, but I want to compete and Dalvin knows that. We push each other. That’s what it’s about. But I would love to be back here for that opportunity to compete with and against them. That’s the only way you get better. As far as this team, this organization, this group of guys, this locker room, I love everything about it.”
It's easy to sit here (similar to what you did with Mahomes and Jackson) and pick the 2 best players we lost in FA. But do you KNOW we really wanted them back?? Or did we want to move on? Or did a player want to move on? You're making assumptions on things you dont know.....again, just to help your Kirk Cousins argument
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:38 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:27 am

Richardson and Murray
You have proof that we wanted them back? And it wasnt because Murray didnt want to play second fiddle to Cook and Richardson wanted more than another 1 year deal?

I know Murray said this:
“Even with Dalvin starting and things like that, I want everybody to know, make no mistake about it, I want to play. I want to start,” Murray said on Monday’s locker-clean-out day. “I’m not content with being in a backup role, but I want to compete and Dalvin knows that. We push each other. That’s what it’s about. But I would love to be back here for that opportunity to compete with and against them. That’s the only way you get better. As far as this team, this organization, this group of guys, this locker room, I love everything about it.”
It's easy to sit here (similar to what you did with Mahomes and Jackson) and pick the 2 best players we lost in FA. But do you KNOW we really wanted them back?? Or did we want to move on? Or did a player want to move on? You're making assumptions on things you dont know.....again, just to help your Kirk Cousins argument
Murray wanted to start so bad he went to a team with a healthier, better starting RB.

I KNOW you really liked them both. Conveniently we didn't want either back now. I am sure the same will be true with who ever we lose next year too. "We didn't want those guys anyway"
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:44 pm

I know Murray said this:

Murray wanted to start so bad he went to a team with a healthier, better starting RB.

I KNOW you really liked them both. Conveniently we didn't want either back now. I am sure the same will be true with who ever we lose next year too. "We didn't want those guys anyway"
I played against Latavius Murray, like Latavius Murray and think he's a good player. I like Sheldon Richardson and think he's a good player. I just posted about being a fan of him. But since I like them that means the Vikings are suppose to want them back? I can assure you I dont have that kind of power. Nor did I all of the sudden say they werent good players or something. So what are you trying to prove? You had no proof that we wanted them back. You just knew they were the best two players we let go so you're going to claim them as cap casualties due to Cousins.....just to help your argument. And then have no proof of it.....

And anyone that watches football knows that the Saints use their #2 RB just as much as Kamara. Every year Kamara has been there Ingram went for over 1,000 outside of this past year where he missed 4 games. If he played in those 4 games, he needed about 87 yards a game to break 1000 which was more than possible. If anything he'd be a touch short. So yeah, Murray went to a team where he will get significantly more playing time than he would here if Cook was healthy all season. When Cook was healthy, more often than not Murray was getting about 5-6 carries a game. Ingram was getting double to triple that in New Orleans. So I have no clue where you're trying to go there either.

Stop arguing just to argue. You watch football enough to where you should know the RB situation in New Orleans and you know that if I like a player it doesnt mean the Vikings will keep him nor does it mean they were let go because of Kirk Cousins contract. I never once said "we didnt want them anyways". Murray expressed his concern. Richardson had little talks to us. I like both players but they were bound to go somewhere else. I'm being realistic here, not just claiming them as losses because of Cousins.
-Chazz Palminteri
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

I know Murray said this:

Which is why the Vikings signed Stephan to replace Richardson before Richardson signed with the Browns. It's easy to sit here and say we couldn't sign him, but I never thought for one moment that Richardson wasn't going to be here for more than a year. If he was, they could have signed him for more than one year last year.

As to Murray, I remember people complaining about the fact that we signed him for $15 million. Many thought that was too much.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Raptorman wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:30 pm

Which is why the Vikings signed Stephan to replace Richardson before Richardson signed with the Browns. It's easy to sit here and say we couldn't sign him, but I never thought for one moment that Richardson wasn't going to be here for more than a year. If he was, they could have signed him for more than one year last year.

As to Murray, I remember people complaining about the fact that we signed him for $15 million. Many thought that was too much.
So, "we didn't want those guys anyway"?