3rd Round Pick: RB Alexander Mattison

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: 3rd Round Pick: RB Alexander Mattison

Post by fiestavike »

"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 9:21 am
CharVike wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:09 am
I know he's on the team and I never said bring him in. How about Suh? We need help at DT. Is he the greatest in the world no. But he can still play great at times. How about Ezekiel Ansah as a situational pass rusher. You never have enough of them. Crabtree to play the slot. I could go on but there are guys out there. No super stars because they get signed right off the bat. That's when it should have been done. Could have kept Richardson. But Rudy isn't going anywhere. He's here until he packs it in. He's a favorite for some reason.
I would say that all of the guys listed are just as "washed up" as Rudy and I'd prefer what he brings over them. I thought Richardson was overrated as well and wasn't upset that he got away.
I said any good FA was off the board in the 1st few days. Whats left are nothing to write home about. Rudy is nothing to write home about either.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Couple of things I read on another board which makes me like this pick is he's a work horse and had 40 carries his last game. Only one fumble in his career. Plus he is only 20 years old. Looks like a Murray clone. Based on history he will be the main back a few games. Might go beast mode at times. Not flashy but a punch in the gut runner.Basically a battering ram. Not bad IMO.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:51 pm
dead_poet wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:26 pm Good thread on Mattison. Check it out.

https://twitter.com/FriesFootball/statu ... 14466?s=19
Despite liking Mattison he thought we should have taken Butler and Ozigbo later.
Butler isn't worth the time. The guy dropped 19 balls over the last 2 seasons. Why would a team even consider him in the draft. A WR that can't catch is worthless IMO.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CharVike wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 10:31 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:51 pm

Despite liking Mattison he thought we should have taken Butler and Ozigbo later.
Butler isn't worth the time. The guy dropped 19 balls over the last 2 seasons. Why would a team even consider him in the draft. A WR that can't catch is worthless IMO.
Ever watch Butler play?

Didn't think so.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:19 pm
CharVike wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 10:31 am
Ever watch Butler play?

Didn't think so.
You watched every game and he never dropped a pass from your perspective. I get it. This guy will be lucky to make a practice squad. Teams need WRs. If he was so good he would have been gone much earlier. He's lacking something.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CharVike wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:03 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:19 pm
Ever watch Butler play?

Didn't think so.
You watched every game and he never dropped a pass from your perspective. I get it. This guy will be lucky to make a practice squad. Teams need WRs. If he was so good he would have been gone much earlier. He's lacking something.
As a matter of fact, I did watch every game of his senior year. I live in Iowa and attended Iowa State. So I guess your sarcastic attack is pretty much a big swing and miss.

Was he perfect? No. Did he drop the occasional pass? Yes. Did he dominate every team he played his senior year in the Big 12? Also yes. He's 6-5, 227, runs a 4.4, has 35.5 inch arms and huge hands.

Wish I were a betting man because I'd love to take your money. He'll make the Cardinals, and he'll play. Calvin Johnson worked out with him and said he's got everything he needs to excel. He'll need time. He's a bit raw. He'll have to learn to beat press coverage. But there's no denying his ability to absolutely dominate DBs in contested-ball situations. I have no idea why he fell (maybe the drops) but it was only to the 4th round. It wasn't like he got shut out.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

CharVike wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 12:46 pm Couple of things I read on another board which makes me like this pick is he's a work horse and had 40 carries his last game. Only one fumble in his career. Plus he is only 20 years old. Looks like a Murray clone. Based on history he will be the main back a few games. Might go beast mode at times. Not flashy but a punch in the gut runner.Basically a battering ram. Not bad IMO.
The 3rd round is not where you draft said backs.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

YikesVikes wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:26 pm
CharVike wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 12:46 pm Couple of things I read on another board which makes me like this pick is he's a work horse and had 40 carries his last game. Only one fumble in his career. Plus he is only 20 years old. Looks like a Murray clone. Based on history he will be the main back a few games. Might go beast mode at times. Not flashy but a punch in the gut runner.Basically a battering ram. Not bad IMO.
Says who? I can list a slew of RBs that were backups and drafted in the 3rd or practically 4th round like Mattison was. And they actually ended up being pretty darn good backs
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:01 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:26 pm

Says who? I can list a slew of RBs that were backups and drafted in the 3rd or practically 4th round like Mattison was. And they actually ended up being pretty darn good backs
Kamara
Hunt
Conner
Mckinnon
Hillman
D. Murray
Ridley
J. Charles
Gore.

Just some of those "sucky" RB's drafted in the 3rd round since 2005.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Raptorman wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:12 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:01 pm

Kamara
Hunt
Conner
Mckinnon
Hillman
D. Murray
Ridley
J. Charles
Gore.

I swear you guys don't read and type just to work on finger extension. Did I say good backs aren't drafted in the 3rd? Actually, my statement is the opposite of that. This board needs a reading comp class badly.

Which of the backs listed is a battering ram? :confused:
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

YikesVikes wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:41 pm
Kamara
Hunt
Conner
Mckinnon
Hillman
D. Murray
Ridley
J. Charles
Gore.

I swear you guys don't read and type just to work on finger extension. Did I say good backs aren't drafted in the 3rd? Actually, my statement is the opposite of that. This board needs a reading comp class badly.

Well first of all, I appreciate you telling everyone on here they cant comprehend anything. That was pretty nice of you. Second, why dont you tell me what James Conner is considered? Nearly identical 40 time as Mattison, 2 less reps on the bench, 6 inch shorter vertical jump and a pathetic 113 inch broad jump. If Alexander Mattison is a "battering ram" (which you know isnt the case if you actually took time to watch his film), then what is James Conner? A battering ram doesnt force 68 missed tackles. Battering rams usually arent great in the passing game.
Built like a freight train, Mattison brings a rare combination of size, athleticism and football IQ to the table. The 5-foot-11, 221-pound back recorded a top-five 10-yard split at the Combine and forced the third-most missed tackles of any back in the draft-eligible FBS in 2018.
But Mattison isn’t your typical big boy. He’s a value-add in the passing game with much more in his arsenal than a lowered shoulder; he’s a natural pass-catcher and makes defenders miss with great jump cuts, sidesteps and the occasional hurdle.
Mattison added NFL teams were quick to compare him to fellow Boise State alumnus Jay Ajayi, but they said he was the more athletic back of the two.
Equal parts gym rat and film junkie, Mattison is dedicated to improving what is already an impressive skillset – we’re not surprised he’s drawing high praise from NFL camps. He’s the complete package.
More at the link: Take the time to actually watch the two clips in this article. That is far from a "battering ram". This guy isnt John Riggins/Matt Asiata. He's a legit back and there really isnt much he cant do.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/d ... ersatility
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 7:58 am

Well first of all, I appreciate you telling everyone on here they cant comprehend anything. That was pretty nice of you. Second, why dont you tell me what James Conner is considered? Nearly identical 40 time as Mattison, 2 less reps on the bench, 6 inch shorter vertical jump and a pathetic 113 inch broad jump. If Alexander Mattison is a "battering ram" (which you know isnt the case if you actually took time to watch his film), then what is James Conner? A battering ram doesnt force 68 missed tackles. Battering rams usually arent great in the passing game.
Built like a freight train, Mattison brings a rare combination of size, athleticism and football IQ to the table. The 5-foot-11, 221-pound back recorded a top-five 10-yard split at the Combine and forced the third-most missed tackles of any back in the draft-eligible FBS in 2018.
But Mattison isn’t your typical big boy. He’s a value-add in the passing game with much more in his arsenal than a lowered shoulder; he’s a natural pass-catcher and makes defenders miss with great jump cuts, sidesteps and the occasional hurdle.
Mattison added NFL teams were quick to compare him to fellow Boise State alumnus Jay Ajayi, but they said he was the more athletic back of the two.
Equal parts gym rat and film junkie, Mattison is dedicated to improving what is already an impressive skillset – we’re not surprised he’s drawing high praise from NFL camps. He’s the complete package.
More at the link: Take the time to actually watch the two clips in this article. That is far from a "battering ram". This guy isnt John Riggins/Matt Asiata. He's a legit back and there really isnt much he cant do.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/d ... ersatility
I used the OP own words.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Kamara
Hunt
Conner
Mckinnon
Hillman
D. Murray
Ridley
J. Charles
Gore.

Some are much more guilty of this than others. There are people who are way too emotional about this team and that emotion impacts how they read anything that even remotely resembles criticism.

So, when you say the Vikings shouldn't have picked Mattison where they did, they read it as the Vikings shouldn't have selected Mattison at all, and he is a horrible player who will never amount to anything.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:06 am

Some are much more guilty of this than others. There are people who are way too emotional about this team and that emotion impacts how they read anything that even remotely resembles criticism.

So, when you say the Vikings shouldn't have picked Mattison where they did, they read it as the Vikings shouldn't have selected Mattison at all, and he is a horrible player who will never amount to anything.
Agreed. They may have been able to get him in the spot they selected Samia and taken Samia in the spot they selected Mattison. Either way the result is the same.