1st round pick- Vikings select C- Garrett Bradbury NC State

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: 1st round pick- Vikings select C- Garrett Bradbury NC State

Post by PurpleMustReign »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:41 am Great pick. Exactly what the Vikes want, with Kubiak coming over. Hoping we see another good oline guy. Like maybe Taylor if we can entice someone with a few of our draft picks. Bradbury and Taylor would make such a difference to this team from day 1. The impact would be felt immediately. But for now I am very happy with this pick. Hopefully both BBury and O'neil can get some weight on to make Cook really happy.
I wonder if a trade involving Waynes would help the Vikings move up? I don't want to get rid of Waynes especially with Hill being suspended, but I didn't think there would be this many options available yet either.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

You can bet Rick will be trying to deal today.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

I was thinking that too, but I'd prefer to hang on to Waynes, unless they truly don't think we have the money to extend him. In that case, we'd have to take a CB w/ our 2nd or 3rd.

A more prudent approach might be to sit pat w/ him and see how both he and Rhodes (and Hughes and Hill, for that matter) play and then make a decision after the season. There's still information to be gathered about this CB group.

I love the Bradbury pick. Did it take Kubiak to finally get us to have a 'vision' of what we want in O lineman? I'm glad we didn't try to get cute and trade down.

I'd love to snag Dillard or Risener somehow.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:56 pm But the more I think about it, why trade up?? Not only are both Taylor and Ford still there but so is Risner, McGovern, McCoy, Jenkins, Little, Davis, Jordan and Deiter. So why rush it?! We could easily pass on OL and wait until the 3rd, even 4th. That’s 10 possibly legitimate offensive lineman still on the board. I mean Taylor and Ford are no brainers if they are there but there are still a ton of options.

Also, a lot of good WRs out there still. Campbell, Metcalf, AJ Brown, Samuel, Ridley, Butler, etc.

Corners are still loaded.

A DT I have my eye on is Dre’Mont Jones frkm Ohio St. And maybe Trysten Hill. Outside of that, DL is pretty picked over.

RBs are endless right now.

Lock is out there.

Still a ton of TEs out there.

The best part is, a lot of our needs, are still VERY deep in this draft outside of DT. Which makes me think we could go with DreMont Jones at 50. Cant wait for tomorrow!
Some good players like Samia and Bates too. I'd still like better competition for Elflein and Klein. I'm not comfortable relying on those guys at this point. I want a contingency plan. That could quite possibly be an option later though.

Other than that, I believe the Vikings can go BPA from here. However the next 17 picks shake out, there will be a really good player there.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

fiestavike wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:26 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:56 pm But the more I think about it, why trade up?? Not only are both Taylor and Ford still there but so is Risner, McGovern, McCoy, Jenkins, Little, Davis, Jordan and Deiter. So why rush it?! We could easily pass on OL and wait until the 3rd, even 4th. That’s 10 possibly legitimate offensive lineman still on the board. I mean Taylor and Ford are no brainers if they are there but there are still a ton of options.

Also, a lot of good WRs out there still. Campbell, Metcalf, AJ Brown, Samuel, Ridley, Butler, etc.

A DT I have my eye on is Dre’Mont Jones frkm Ohio St. And maybe Trysten Hill. Outside of that, DL is pretty picked over.

Lock is out there.

The best part is, a lot of our needs, are still VERY deep in this draft outside of DT. Which makes me think we could go with DreMont Jones at 50. Cant wait for tomorrow!
Some good players like Samia and Bates too. I'd still like better competition for Elflein and Klein. I'm not comfortable relying on those guys at this point. I want a contingency plan. That could quite possibly be an option later though.

Other than that, I believe the Vikings can go BPA from here. However the next 17 picks shake out, there will be a really good player there.
Coming out of the first two rounds with Ford and Bradbury would make me feel pretty good about the line in 2019. The Vikings cannot count on two guys who played really bad in 2018 as the only real options at LG and RG.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Only three defensive secondary players taken in the 1st round. That is weird, usually there are several CB taken by now. Currently only one is off the board. Huge run on front defensive front 7 players, including ILB which are not usually taken so early. Definitely tells us where the meat of this draft class is in the view of NFL Front Offices. Of 14 offensive players chosen, 8 were skill positions and of those 3 were QBs. 6 OL taken in the first round. Two TEs going early is rather rare, but says a lot about those two kids at Iowa.

I was hoping we'd grab Fant, but I can't be upset at an interior OL pick given the needs on the roster. It seems like this will be a great draft to load up on that position a bit. However, there are lots of directions they could go right now. They could grab DT, maybe take a pass at one of the many RBs available or even go after WR or TE help. They could also add help in the secondary, but I'm guessing that given the state of the 1st round that in terms of NFL talent, this CB class is rather weak. The fact only one was taken and he was taken late says a lot about a position group that commonly is very popular in the 1st round.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Not my type of player because he lacks the size I like. 6 3 305 don't cut it. I like road graders. Beat teams into the ground. Like the old Cowboy lines and the hogs. They dominated the LOS. But the reports I read it's a great pick. I was hoping Lock or Metcalf. Skill guys are hard to come by. I knew Ford wasn't on our board because he doesn't fit our current scheme. Now we won't get Lock. That was my pick.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

CharVike wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:59 am Not my type of player because he lacks the size I like. 6 3 305 don't cut it. I like road graders. Beat teams into the ground. Like the old Cowboy lines and the hogs. They dominated the LOS. But the reports I read it's a great pick. I was hoping Lock or Metcalf. Skill guys are hard to come by. I knew Ford wasn't on our board because he doesn't fit our current scheme. Now we won't get Lock. That was my pick.
No kidding, you liked Lock?
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Lock is out there.

With Klein, yeah I would like some insurance there. However, Elflein was a top end guard at Ohio St. for most of his college career. He was at guard all 4 years, including a redshirt year before shifting to center in his final year. His run blocking was always ahead of his pass blocking but overall, he was a very solid guard at OSU. He only played 1 year of center.
Highlighting his versatility, he registered six “perfect” pass-blocking games (0 QB pressures) aligned at guard in 2015.
If anything, Elflein enjoyed his best form at guard, registering an 82.5 overall grade two seasons ago.
While he looks to be a more natural player at right guard, where he gave up just 10 total pressures in 2015, Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer has already projected him at center.
Elflein showed a lot more success at guard in college. Reminds me of Berger in a way. Berger ended up being a better guard than he was center. I think Elflein will do the same. Granted it doesnt hurt to draft insurance, however chances are, if we draft a guard, I would think they could either play left or right guard. So essentially it provides insurance for both Kline and Elflein. I mean if both completely flopped that would really suck but I dont see that happening to be honest.

I'm more concerned with insurance for Reiff than I am with Elflein. I just dont trust him as a left tackle anymore and to be honest (not that my opinion matters lol), I want him moved. O'Neill needs to be at LT IMO. He's hands down the best pass blocker on this OL and you want your best pass blocking tackle on your QBs blindside. Especially when you have one that isnt mobile. O'Neill has the athleticism and footwork to stay with speed rushers. Reiff was abused by them last year. Its not like Remmers switching to guard. Remmers was completely out of position. Reiff making a switch to RT should be seamless. He's played RT a lot and is really no worse at RT than he is at left.

The OL I'm hoping for this year:

LT- O'Neill
LG- Elflein
C- Bradbury
RG- Kline
RT- Reiff

And my dream pick for the 2nd round....Jawaan Taylor, Dalton Risner or Cody Ford. Ford can play either guard spot if Kline or Elflein were to drop off or he could play either tackle spot. Taylor is more of a true tackle but a no-brainer successor to Reiff. He's an absolute mauler in the run game and a solid pass protector. Risner is an elite pass blocker that is very versatile. I would think if any of those players dropped to us at 50 and we stay true to our board, I would HAVE to imagine they are BPA on our board. I know it's tough going to OL in a row (even though Atlanta did last night), these guys are way too talented to pass on.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

CharVike wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:59 am Not my type of player because he lacks the size I like. 6 3 305 don't cut it. I like road graders. Beat teams into the ground. Like the old Cowboy lines and the hogs. They dominated the LOS. But the reports I read it's a great pick. I was hoping Lock or Metcalf. Skill guys are hard to come by. I knew Ford wasn't on our board because he doesn't fit our current scheme. Now we won't get Lock. That was my pick.
Bradbury is a road graders. He drives people out of the way and gets to the 2nd level in the run game
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Do you like OL that can neutralize their 1st assignment, then get to the second level and take out another defender? Because that is the type of OL that Bradbury has *consistently* been in college.

How he'll fare against some of the bigger and stronger interior defenders in the NFL is a good question, but it's hard to argue against the pick based on his college tape.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:53 am

With Klein, yeah I would like some insurance there. However, Elflein was a top end guard at Ohio St. for most of his college career. He was at guard all 4 years, including a redshirt year before shifting to center in his final year. His run blocking was always ahead of his pass blocking but overall, he was a very solid guard at OSU. He only played 1 year of center.
Highlighting his versatility, he registered six “perfect” pass-blocking games (0 QB pressures) aligned at guard in 2015.
If anything, Elflein enjoyed his best form at guard, registering an 82.5 overall grade two seasons ago.
While he looks to be a more natural player at right guard, where he gave up just 10 total pressures in 2015, Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer has already projected him at center.
Elflein showed a lot more success at guard in college. Reminds me of Berger in a way. Berger ended up being a better guard than he was center. I think Elflein will do the same. Granted it doesnt hurt to draft insurance, however chances are, if we draft a guard, I would think they could either play left or right guard. So essentially it provides insurance for both Kline and Elflein. I mean if both completely flopped that would really suck but I dont see that happening to be honest.

I'm more concerned with insurance for Reiff than I am with Elflein. I just dont trust him as a left tackle anymore and to be honest (not that my opinion matters lol), I want him moved. O'Neill needs to be at LT IMO. He's hands down the best pass blocker on this OL and you want your best pass blocking tackle on your QBs blindside. Especially when you have one that isnt mobile. O'Neill has the athleticism and footwork to stay with speed rushers. Reiff was abused by them last year. Its not like Remmers switching to guard. Remmers was completely out of position. Reiff making a switch to RT should be seamless. He's played RT a lot and is really no worse at RT than he is at left.

LT- O'Neill
LG- Elflein
C- Bradbury
RG- Kline
RT- Reiff

And my dream pick for the 2nd round....Jawaan Taylor, Dalton Risner or Cody Ford. Ford can play either guard spot if Kline or Elflein were to drop off or he could play either tackle spot. Taylor is more of a true tackle but a no-brainer successor to Reiff. He's an absolute mauler in the run game and a solid pass protector. Risner is an elite pass blocker that is very versatile. I would think if any of those players dropped to us at 50 and we stay true to our board, I would HAVE to imagine they are BPA on our board. I know it's tough going to OL in a row (even though Atlanta did last night), these guys are way too talented to pass on.
I would prefer O'Neill get better at run blocking and stay at RT where he has been okay. Reiff was the best Olineman on the team last season and really picked up his game after a relatively slow start. Let's leave him where he has been successful.

Outside of that, Elf should easily be better at LG than Compton, and hopefully Kline could have a bounce back year and not suck as much as Remmers.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:13 am
Do you like OL that can neutralize their 1st assignment, then get to the second level and take out another defender? Because that is the type of OL that Bradbury has *consistently* been in college.

How he'll fare against some of the bigger and stronger interior defenders in the NFL is a good question, but it's hard to argue against the pick based on his college tape.
I'm not arguing against the pick because everything I have read it was a great pick and the best player at that position. It also filled a major need. I just like bigger players. I tend to lean more for the size power guys. But that's not our scheme.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:24 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:53 am

LT- O'Neill
LG- Elflein
C- Bradbury
RG- Kline
RT- Reiff

I would prefer O'Neill get better at run blocking and stay at RT where he has been okay. Reiff was the best Olineman on the team last season and really picked up his game after a relatively slow start. Let's leave him where he has been successful.

Outside of that, Elf should easily be better at LG than Compton, and hopefully Kline could have a bounce back year and not suck as much as Remmers.
Maybe overall, Reiff averaged out to be the best offensive lineman, however O'Neill was hands down the best pass blocker. And that's what I'm talking about, pass blocking. From a run blocking standpoint, it doesnt matter which side O'Neill or Reiff are on. Just because O'Neill isnt a great run blocker doesnt mean he cant play LT and be successful at it.

You dont gear where you place guys on the OL because of their run blocking skills from a right side to left side standpoint. You usually run to both sides a fairly equal amount over the course of a season. Nobody says "Reiff is a better run blocker so we have to have him on the left side". It makes no difference if he's on the right or the left. . It's the pass blocking you worry about. Left tackles have been a high priority for so long because why? Because they are responsible for protecting a QBs blindside when he's passing. Not because he's a good run blocker. If he is a good run blocker, that's just a cherry on top. If your LT whiffs on a block and your QB doesnt see a rusher coming on his blind side, you could get him near killed. If he whiffs a block in the run game and you're running to the opposite side, he needs to hold up his end for a split second for the RB to find a hole. The #1 priority is to protect your QB. And who's better at doing that? Brian O'Neill. If you dont give up a single sack in your rookie season (3rd rookie tackle to ever do it, Joe Thomas and Ryan Clady) in over 500 pass blocking snaps, you can fricken pass block. Whether Reiff got better over the course of the year or not, we cant EVER have games where he's giving up 12 pressures and 2 sacks. That was the most pressures given up in an NFL game in two years. Last one to do it was Giacomini in week 1 of 2017 where he gave up 13. Cousins was lucky to be alive after that game. Hughes kept lining up wide of Reiff and Reiff didnt have the footwork to get out to him quick enough. O'Neill has that quickness to get out there and I can guarantee, he wouldnt have gave up 12 pressures, 2 sacks (1 being a strip sack).

Reiff's play at left tackle over his career is nearly identical to his play at right tackle. Simply average. We were near ready to move Reiff to guard this offseason. But now he shouldnt move to RT, a position he actually played because of his run blocking? I dont buy that at all.

Bottom line is, you put your best pass blocking tackle on your QBs blindside. It has nothing to do with run blocking. And O'Neill is hands down the best pass blocking tackle on this team.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:54 am
Bradbury is a road graders. He drives people out of the way and gets to the 2nd level in the run game
Did you even look at his size. Grim from the hogs was 6 3 290 and that was almost 40 years ago. That's what I mean by dominating the LOS. Drive the guy right through the 2nd level. I have posted Ford won't be picked. He's too big for our scheme. He will bang your head but doesn't have the movement. But I'm not ripping the Bradbury pick. He was the top rated center in the draft.