2019 Season General Thread (News, Notes, Interviews, etc)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Re: 2019 Season General Thread (News, Notes, Interviews, etc)

Post by akvikingsfan »

cmoss84 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:36 pm We are one of a handful of teams being linked to Jalen Ramsey. Jax is wanting at least a first. To me, this would be a perfect move for the Raiders, but nothing they do really makes sense.

Any chance we can make this work, especially if other teams don't want to give up too much?
Considering our first round pick would be used on a CB anyway, makes sense to at least get one we know won't be a bust or take 3 years to develop.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Barr didn't practice today (groin). Wonder if that was an issue why he was seemingly invisible Sunday. Probably contributed.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

cmoss84 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:36 pm We are one of a handful of teams being linked to Jalen Ramsey. Jax is wanting at least a first. To me, this would be a perfect move for the Raiders, but nothing they do really makes sense.

Any chance we can make this work, especially if other teams don't want to give up too much?
I would pass. Not a fan of his antics nor his temper. He’s the defensive version of AB.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

S197 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:10 pm

I would pass. Not a fan of his antics nor his temper. He’s the defensive version of AB.
Have I missed something? That's quite the statement. What antics (aside from his presser)? Dude seems to be more like Diggs than Brown.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:21 pm
S197 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:10 pm

Have I missed something? That's quite the statement. What antics (aside from his presser)? Dude seems to be more like Diggs than Brown.
Getting in fights with his coach, showing up to training camp in a bank armored car...

He's going to cost a 1st rounder (maybe more) plus a huge contract. I mean, how many 1st round picks do we need to spend on corners?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

S197 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:55 pm
dead_poet wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:21 pm

Getting in fights with his coach, showing up to training camp in a bank armored car...

He's going to cost a 1st rounder (maybe more) plus a huge contract. I mean, how many 1st round picks do we need to spend on corners?
From what I understand, the fights with Marrone are more Marrone than Ramsey (this according to Matthew Coller who used to cover Marrone in Buffalo). I really don't think he's a head case. And Zimmer is well equipped to handle him. Most players (especially DBs) love Zim.

Put your question another way, would you spend another first-rounder for an All-Pro? I would. It makes us better. If we're stuck with Cousins + this interior offensive line, well, we're going to need a top (or THE top) defense.

Obviously I'm in on the move. We'd have the best secondary in the league (even if we trade away Waynes or something in a package), combined with a studly front 7. I mean, whew.

But I doubt it happens.
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

dead_poet wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:18 am
S197 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:55 pm

From what I understand, the fights with Marrone are more Marrone than Ramsey (this according to Matthew Coller who used to cover Marrone in Buffalo). I really don't think he's a head case. And Zimmer is well equipped to handle him. Most players (especially DBs) love Zim.

Put your question another way, would you spend another first-rounder for an All-Pro? I would. It makes us better. If we're stuck with Cousins + this interior offensive line, well, we're going to need a top (or THE top) defense.

Obviously I'm in on the move. We'd have the best secondary in the league (even if we trade away Waynes or something in a package), combined with a studly front 7. I mean, whew.

But I doubt it happens.
A first is one thing. I have seen reports they want Multiple first and change for him. If they could work out the right package it may be worth it.......until they don’t win......then he will be an issue......he’s just that type of player. Let be real. If the winning doesn’t come this year, or possibly next, this whole thing is gonna get blown up and do we really need a diva to deal with? They are gonna have to write and unprecedented check to keep him and I don’t even know if that would keep him happy if there is no immediate winning. Don’t get me wrong, I like him, he’s a hell of a player. It’s just not the right kinda deal for where I think this team is at or headed in the next few years. Just my opinion. I feel they need to focus assets on the future of theQB position first and foremost.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Alaskan wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:11 pm
A first is one thing. I have seen reports they want Multiple first and change for him. If they could work out the right package it may be worth it.......until they don’t win......then he will be an issue......he’s just that type of player. Let be real. If the winning doesn’t come this year, or possibly next, this whole thing is gonna get blown up and do we really need a diva to deal with? They are gonna have to write and unprecedented check to keep him and I don’t even know if that would keep him happy if there is no immediate winning. Don’t get me wrong, I like him, he’s a hell of a player. It’s just not the right kinda deal for where I think this team is at or headed in the next few years. Just my opinion. I feel they need to focus assets on the future of theQB position first and foremost.
[/quote]

I agree. I feel certain he would throw off our chemistry on D, and among the D backs in particular. With Hughes on the mend, and Mac and Hill coming back in the coming weeks, I think we're more than strong enough to stand pat, especially given the reports of what they want for him. We still need to invest in OL with our 1st round picks, honestly. I would rather hold onto that fire power.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Texas Vike wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:57 am
I agree. I feel certain he would throw off our chemistry on D, and among the D backs in particular. With Hughes on the mend, and Mac and Hill coming back in the coming weeks, I think we're more than strong enough to stand pat, especially given the reports of what they want for him. We still need to invest in OL with our 1st round picks, honestly. I would rather hold onto that fire power.
Really? You don't often hear of adding an All-Pro to a team disrupting the team's chemistry. I get wanting to improve the O-line with high-round draft picks. Lord knows I agree. But adding Jalen Ramsey would make our very good defense even better. He's also just 25.

I understand the reasons against him, and we don't "need" him. But man, having him on a Zimmer defense would just be so lethal and almost unfair.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

dead_poet wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:33 am
Texas Vike wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:57 am
Really? You don't often hear of adding an All-Pro to a team disrupting the team's chemistry. I get wanting to improve the O-line with high-round draft picks. Lord knows I agree. But adding Jalen Ramsey would make our very good defense even better. He's also just 25.

I understand the reasons against him, and we don't "need" him. But man, having him on a Zimmer defense would just be so lethal and almost unfair.
Honestly, with how the media works nowadays, I feel like that's ALL I hear about. We've had our share of questionable character guys who have played well on the field, but messed up our locker room chemistry (Percy Harvin comes to mind). And the 24 hour media cycle seems to thrive on guys who are headaches for their team, so examples from other teams seem abundant to me. Maybe you are questioning how much these perceived headaches actually affect team chemistry? That's hard to know or measure, but we see indications like the Bills game last season which was preceded by Everson's mental health issues that seemed to affect the overall chemistry of the team.

I understand why we kicked the tires, but unless he comes at a team-friendly price, I'd rather see us pass.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Makensize back at practice (individual)! :thumbsup:

Barr back (groin) and anticipates playing

Josh Kline not (consussion protocol) :gone: If he doesn't play, we get Elflein, Bradbury and Dozier in front of Cousins, who will die.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

dead_poet wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:28 pm Makensize back at practice (individual)! :thumbsup:

Josh Kline not (consussion protocol) :gone: If he doesn't play, we get Elflein, Bradbury and Dozier in front of Cousins, who will die.
So now Josh Kline is the key to keeping Cousins alive?

That wasn't the tune people were singing when we acquired Kline.

We're gonna be fine. The Bears are a 2.5-point favorite, which is less than the typical 3 points a team gets for home field. The Bears are going to have their hands full with us.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:43 pm
dead_poet wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:28 pm Makensize back at practice (individual)! :thumbsup:

So now Josh Kline is the key to keeping Cousins alive?

That wasn't the tune people were singing when we acquired Kline.

We're gonna be fine. The Bears are a 2.5-point favorite, which is less than the typical 3 points a team gets for home field. The Bears are going to have their hands full with us.
Klein has quietly been a pretty solid pick up. Especially considering his cost and our cap constraints. If I had to pick, I'd actually say Elflein looks like the weakest link.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Not entirely sure what to read into this, but Diggs Tweeted, simply: "Jeremiah 29:11" ("For I know the plans I have for you...")

Which has led to folks speculating that he is dissatisfied/ wants a trade. Not everyone is happy with the new run-oriented offense, it seems. Chemistry can be tough.

https://twitter.com/stefondiggs/status/ ... 2758740994
9man
Transition Player

Post by 9man »

Texas Vike wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:58 pm Not entirely sure what to read into this, but Diggs Tweeted, simply: "Jeremiah 29:11" ("For I know the plans I have for you...")

Which has led to folks speculating that he is dissatisfied/ wants a trade. Not everyone is happy with the new run-oriented offense, it seems. Chemistry can be tough.

https://twitter.com/stefondiggs/status/ ... 2758740994
That’s all speculation. He could just be tweeting his bible study verse? :confused:

Seriously I think he has a real chance at making some plays against the bears.