2019 Season General Thread (News, Notes, Interviews, etc)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings In-House Free Agents and Cut/Trade Tracker

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Vikings signed DB Duke Thomas, formerly of the AAF's Salt Lake Stallions.

A UDFA out of Texas, Thomas blazed a 4.41 40-time at his pro day before stalling out in four preseason games with the Texans. He earned a shot with the Vikings after flashing in Salt Lake with four pass breakups and an interception, all the while leading all corners in tackles for a loss. Thomas is the fifth former AAF standout to sign with an NFL team thus far.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Vikings signed S Derron Smith.

They also signed CB Duke Thomas. Both played for the San Antonio Commanders of the now-defunct AAF. A sixth-round pick of the Bengals in 2015, Smith was out of the league last season after splitting 2017 between Cleveland and Cincinnati. Thomas has spent time on various practice squads but has never played an NFL down. He and Smith were the Commanders' leading tacklers before the league disbanded earlier this week.

The #Vikings really like safety Derron Smith, as evidenced by 2-year deal they gave him. They have a need at safety after losing Andrew Sendejo and George Iloka. He arrived in Cincinnati in 2015, two years after Mike Zimmer left but they were still playing the same defense there.

Derron Smith was the highest overall graded safety in the AAF with an ELITE 93.1 grade!
He also had an elite coverage grade of 93.2!
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

NFL suspended Vikings CB Holton Hill four games for violating the league's policy on PEDs.

Undrafted out of Texas, Hill wound up playing all 16 games for Minnesota in 2018 including three starts. He finished his rookie campaign with 30 tackles and one interception over 374 defensive snaps. Hill can take part in the Vikings' offseason program but won't suit up for them until Week 5.
Doesn’t surprise me. Hence why he went undrafted last year. Going to have to look for a CB in FA or late in the draft
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:07 am
NFL suspended Vikings CB Holton Hill four games for violating the league's policy on PEDs.

Undrafted out of Texas, Hill wound up playing all 16 games for Minnesota in 2018 including three starts. He finished his rookie campaign with 30 tackles and one interception over 374 defensive snaps. Hill can take part in the Vikings' offseason program but won't suit up for them until Week 5.
Doesn’t surprise me. Hence why he went undrafted last year. Going to have to look for a CB in FA or late in the draft
No shock at all. In a house with a guy busted with illegal drugs. Probably failed a pot test and the NFL is being nice and calling it a PED which means anything. Once Thomas starts chirping to save his skin I suspect Hill is toast. Say bye bye. If Rhodes don't bounce back and another CB coming back from ACL we are now paper thin at CB. You need 3 deep just to compete. Unless you use the great Denny G plan and put a WR, TE, P whatever at CB. I've seen how that works.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

CharVike wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:05 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:07 am

No shock at all. In a house with a guy busted with illegal drugs. Probably failed a pot test and the NFL is being nice and calling it a PED which means anything. Once Thomas starts chirping to save his skin I suspect Hill is toast. Say bye bye. If Rhodes don't bounce back and another CB coming back from ACL we are now paper thin at CB. You need 3 deep just to compete. Unless you use the great Denny G plan and put a WR, TE, P whatever at CB. I've seen how that works.
From what I’ve seen, he didn’t do anything wrong with Thomas. Rhodes will be fine, Waynes was great last year, Alexander was one of the better nickels in the league and Hughes should recover fine. He’s had a long time. I’m still not worried about CB
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:23 am
CharVike wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:05 am
From what I’ve seen, he didn’t do anything wrong with Thomas. Rhodes will be fine, Waynes was great last year, Alexander was one of the better nickels in the league and Hughes should recover fine. He’s had a long time. I’m still not worried about CB
Maybe he didn't. Just stopped by to say high when the police happen to show up. My gut tells me the Vikes tested Hill and then informed the NFL and they called it a PED infraction. To some POT is a PED. Helps somethinmg,
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

CharVike wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:05 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:23 am

Maybe he didn't. Just stopped by to say high when the police happen to show up. My gut tells me the Vikes tested Hill and then informed the NFL and they called it a PED infraction. To some POT is a PED. Helps somethinmg,
Who knows. I’m more worried about hill getting in trouble again down the road than I am him getting busted with Thomas.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

I really like the Derron Smith signing out of the AAF. Gave him a 2 year contract too. Knows this defense already and could provide that depth piece we lost with Sendejo and Iloka leaving.

Man we should get loaded with compensatory picks next year right? We let some solid players walk. Richardson should bring us a 3rd. Then you have Murray, Iloka Compton and Easton. Trumaine Brock brought us a 7th this year and he wasn’t even good and hardly played. Makes me wonder if we get picks for guys like Sherels, Siemian, etc. Not sure how those work
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Speaking of safeties, did Harris sign his tender yet?
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:17 pm I really like the Derron Smith signing out of the AAF. Gave him a 2 year contract too. Knows this defense already and could provide that depth piece we lost with Sendejo and Iloka leaving.

Man we should get loaded with compensatory picks next year right? We let some solid players walk. Richardson should bring us a 3rd. Then you have Murray, Iloka Compton and Easton. Trumaine Brock brought us a 7th this year and he wasn’t even good and hardly played. Makes me wonder if we get picks for guys like Sherels, Siemian, etc. Not sure how those work
He was also PFF's player of the year. Could be a good find.

I think compensatory factors in contract amount and playing time.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:37 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:17 pm I really like the Derron Smith signing out of the AAF. Gave him a 2 year contract too. Knows this defense already and could provide that depth piece we lost with Sendejo and Iloka leaving.

Well the only way Siemien gets time is if Darnold goes down. However, Sherels is the one that I wonder about. He's going to be the primary punt returner and possibly kick returner. Does that warrant enough playing time?
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:43 am
S197 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:37 pm

Well the only way Siemien gets time is if Darnold goes down. However, Sherels is the one that I wonder about. He's going to be the primary punt returner and possibly kick returner. Does that warrant enough playing time?
I don't think the exact formula was ever released so tough to say but salary is the biggest component. It also factors in accolades so if Sherels were to get some special teams award, I think that might help.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:13 pm
CharVike wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:05 pm
Who knows. I’m more worried about hill getting in trouble again down the road than I am him getting busted with Thomas.
He will get in trouble again no doubt. It's not if it's when.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

They extended Thielen. I don't know how they will be able to pay all of these players. That's a lot of money going to about a third of the players on the team.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:18 pm They extended Thielen. I don't know how they will be able to pay all of these players. That's a lot of money going to about a third of the players on the team.
Really happy with this extension. Where are they finding the money? The cap is a myth.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.