2019 Season General Thread (News, Notes, Interviews, etc)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: Vikings In-House Free Agents and Cut/Trade Tracker

Post by S197 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:55 pm Did we mention the Shamar Stephen signing?

Three years, $12.45 million, $6 million guaranteed.

He didn't grade out all that great on PFF, but he did start 15 games for Seattle, and Zimmer loves him, calling him "The Big Fundamental." Maybe a poor man's Sheldon Richardson? He's got more size than Richardson, so that could help against the run.

Thoughts?
More of a backup/rotation guy for Linval than a 3T IMO. I think Jaleel may be tasked with more 3 tech duties this year. I think they'll also grab a DT in the first 3 rounds.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:55 pm Did we mention the Shamar Stephen signing?

He didn't grade out all that great on PFF, but he did start 15 games for Seattle, and Zimmer loves him, calling him "The Big Fundamental." Maybe a poor man's Sheldon Richardson? He's got more size than Richardson, so that could help against the run.

Thoughts?
He was better against the run than Richardson, but did not provide the pass rush you need from that position.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

Easton signs with Saints on 2 yr deal.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:49 am

Thoughts?
He was better against the run than Richardson, but did not provide the pass rush you need from that position.
Using Stephen and Tom Johnson situationally worked pretty well in 2017. Its not ideal, but I won't be upset if that's more or less the plan with Stephen and Jaleel. Of course, there's always the possibility of in-house progress from someone already on the roster.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Oops.. meant Easton signed a 4 yr $24 mill deal
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

fiestavike wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:11 amUsing Stephen and Tom Johnson situationally worked pretty well in 2017. Its not ideal, but I won't be upset if that's more or less the plan with Stephen and Jaleel. Of course, there's always the possibility of in-house progress from someone already on the roster.
We keep putting the old band back together. It sure seems we have a stronger than normal bias towards players that have been with the organization.
StpViking
Starter

Post by StpViking »

It does seem pretty repetitive. Moving O Lineman to different position, bring back guys that have been in the system before. If I didn't know better I could swear I was watching Bill Murray's Groundhogs Day instead of an actual NFL team.

The closest the team has gone to returning to the Superbowl was re using old man Favre, and bringing in the escape artist Case Keenum. Those were bold moves, everything else this team has done is just conservative, by the book, team assembly.

Looks like the 2019 team will be another will they make the playoffs or not year.
White 8DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee! Waz Up!
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

StpViking wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:11 pm It does seem pretty repetitive. Moving O Lineman to different position, bring back guys that have been in the system before. If I didn't know better I could swear I was watching Bill Murray's Groundhogs Day instead of an actual NFL team.

The closest the team has gone to returning to the Superbowl was re using old man Favre, and bringing in the escape artist Case Keenum. Those were bold moves, everything else this team has done is just conservative, by the book, team assembly.

Looks like the 2019 team will be another will they make the playoffs or not year.
It all depends on the oline. We need to add some pile movers. 18 sets us up perfectly for Ford. I would love Linstrum in the 2nd, Hakeem Butler in the 3rd. Trade up at the beginning of the 3rd and select Simmons. I would be willing to give up a future 2nd and our 4th this year for Simmons. These 4 picks would be a perfect draft. We can then do what we want in the 6th and 7th.

Ford 18th overall
Linstrum 50th overall (maybe to late for him)
Simmons 63rd overall
Butler 82nd overall
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Purple Domination wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:56 pm
fiestavike wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:11 amUsing Stephen and Tom Johnson situationally worked pretty well in 2017. Its not ideal, but I won't be upset if that's more or less the plan with Stephen and Jaleel. Of course, there's always the possibility of in-house progress from someone already on the roster.
We keep putting the old band back together. It sure seems we have a stronger than normal bias towards players that have been with the organization.
Its not ideal, but the cap situation is what it is, unless they move Waynes, Griffen or Rudolph, we're pretty limited.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

YikesVikes wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:42 pm
StpViking wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:11 pm It does seem pretty repetitive. Moving O Lineman to different position, bring back guys that have been in the system before. If I didn't know better I could swear I was watching Bill Murray's Groundhogs Day instead of an actual NFL team.

It all depends on the oline. We need to add some pile movers. 18 sets us up perfectly for Ford. I would love Linstrum in the 2nd, Hakeem Butler in the 3rd. Trade up at the beginning of the 3rd and select Simmons. I would be willing to give up a future 2nd and our 4th this year for Simmons. These 4 picks would be a perfect draft. We can then do what we want in the 6th and 7th.

Ford 18th overall
Linstrum 50th overall (maybe to late for him)
Simmons 63rd overall
Butler 82nd overall
I really like McCoy too. He's athletic and powerful and has played well against SEC competition. The T from Washington also has pretty amazing movement skills. He looked fantastic at the senior bowl, and could probably play G or tackle.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

FYI:
@Andrew_Krammer
The #Jets announce signing of former #Vikings guard Tom Compton, who started 14 games last year.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

What I find most interesting is most of the significant moves have been made on the defensive side of the ball so far. The offensive moves that have been made seem to confirm the fact that the team didn't feel the players who could help address those weaknesses were either available in free agency or already on the team. That actually makes some sense as when I look at the offense overall, especially at the skill positions, it looks pretty solid. The only really poor unit was the offensive line, and it doesn't shock me that Zimmer and Spielman feel it is necessary to solve that problem with outside solutions. And then, with the relative weakness of the FA crop along the offensive line, plus Spielman's experience with FA OL to this point, it doesn't shock me that they didn't go heavy in to grab any OL. I thought maybe the cap situation would constrain their moves there, but they've spent on the defensive side, so that can't be it.

At this point I'd say Spielman and Zimmer are going to see what the draft brings them, and then watch for preseason cut-down opportunities along with internal development of OL still on the roster. If the draft is not kind, and it may not be, at least along the OL, then I could see Spielman look to make a few moves using players. But it would have to be a very unkind draft.

This is a little surprising given the investment in Cousins. It's almost like they went and splurged on a fancy new car, but forgot to get gas. The OL is the gas the entire offense needs in order to do anything, and without it, the car is going to sit there until they get it. If I'm Cousins looking at this right now, I'm very worried. And very glad my money is guaranteed.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:39 pm FYI:
@Andrew_Krammer
The #Jets announce signing of former #Vikings guard Tom Compton, who started 14 games last year.
The Jets finally get to sign an ex-Viking!
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Eagles sign Sendejo.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

The Vikings re-signed Ameer Abdullah. Can't find any details on the terms of the deal, but he's back for 2019.

I suppose he's a good kick returner, and he'll be OK as the 3rd running back.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.