Zeitler trade

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Zeitler trade

Post by CharVike »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:54 pm
CharVike wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:39 am Maybe Shurmur and the GM are doing things right. Now they have a couple of big time players and some young developmental guys. And the CAP can always be changed to meet the needs. As I've seen the Saints had no CAP but they keep signing guys and are probably still not done. What makes the OL difficult is many teams need players. Except the Browns of course but that team is nothing anyway. What I don't get is why didn't other teams go after this guy. Only the Giants had an interest. So how good is he really.
He's not only really good, hes one of the best linemen in the entire NFL, and still has years left to play. He is like Hutchinson. The Gians now have a good owner and a great HC. I think Shumur will make a better HC from day one, then Zimmer is. Once Eli is gone, expect the Giants to be contenders for years to come. I wish the Vikings could say the same thing. Maybe Rick thinks Kubiak will make a good HC. But Im hoping Rick is gone before thats happens.
The Browns are a disaster. Basically trade the best G in the game and get nothing. There's more to this. And what makes Shurmur a great coach? If the Giaints played us they would have a struggle to win with the better coach/gm. Now that I say that the Giants would probably cream us. That makes the most sense.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

CharVike wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:26 am

He's not only really good, hes one of the best linemen in the entire NFL, and still has years left to play. He is like Hutchinson. The Gians now have a good owner and a great HC. I think Shumur will make a better HC from day one, then Zimmer is. Once Eli is gone, expect the Giants to be contenders for years to come. I wish the Vikings could say the same thing. Maybe Rick thinks Kubiak will make a good HC. But Im hoping Rick is gone before thats happens.
The Browns are a disaster. Basically trade the best G in the game and get nothing. There's more to this. And what makes Shurmur a great coach? If the Giaints played us they would have a struggle to win with the better coach/gm. Now that I say that the Giants would probably cream us. That makes the most sense.
My suspicion is that they are trying to surround Mayfield with impact players ASAP while they have him under his rookie contract. Maybe it makes sense, but its not how I'd approach it. I like seattle's blue print of building an elite defense and a strong running game around a qb on a rookie deal. I'd rather have a G than a WR if I were the GM there.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

fiestavike wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:29 pm
CharVike wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:26 am

My suspicion is that they are trying to surround Mayfield with impact players ASAP while they have him under his rookie contract. Maybe it makes sense, but its not how I'd approach it. I like seattle's blue print of building an elite defense and a strong running game around a qb on a rookie deal. I'd rather have a G than a WR if I were the GM there.
Best point and others have said it is you need a rookie contract guy at QB who plays well or your basically screwed and don't have the ability to build the roster. Unless your BB and have the best QB to ever play the game and play for nothing. But he also doesn't even need a roster. Changes LTs like he changes underwear. Now they'll plug another bum in. Another thing we lack. Can't even find an average G.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

CharVike wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:39 am Maybe Shurmur and the GM are doing things right. Now they have a couple of big time players and some young developmental guys. And the CAP can always be changed to meet the needs. As I've seen the Saints had no CAP but they keep signing guys and are probably still not done. What makes the OL difficult is many teams need players. Except the Browns of course but that team is nothing anyway. What I don't get is why didn't other teams go after this guy. Only the Giants had an interest. So how good is he really.
Going to completely ignore the rest of your post since you sound like a broken record. However, I will say, Zeitler is a very good pass blocking offensive linemanm, but he is not even in the same category as Steve Hutchinson. Hutchinson is bound to be in the HOF. Zeitler has a long way to go until he gets to that level. And as for Shurmur being a better HC from day one than Zimmer is....Shurmur was a HC before for the Browns in 2011 and 2012. And went 4-12 and 5-11 and was then fired. I think Shurmur is doing a great job for the Giants so far, but saying he's a better HC from day 1 than Zimmer is 100% false.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

What am I missing on Shurmur? He's seemingly one of the many very good coordinators, but below average head coaches in the NFL. His game planning with the Giants has been awful. So many times they completely abandoned the run game and they have one of the premiere backs in the league. Eli has been no better under the direction of Shurmer...Eli is down right horrible, in fact. I can understand some personnel issues, but I don't see how anyone can say Shurmur is a good HC and better than Zimmer is baseless as heck. :lol:
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:30 pm

Going to completely ignore the rest of your post since you sound like a broken record. However, I will say, Zeitler is a very good pass blocking offensive linemanm, but he is not even in the same category as Steve Hutchinson. Hutchinson is bound to be in the HOF. Zeitler has a long way to go until he gets to that level. And as for Shurmur being a better HC from day one than Zimmer is....Shurmur was a HC before for the Browns in 2011 and 2012. And went 4-12 and 5-11 and was then fired. I think Shurmur is doing a great job for the Giants so far, but saying he's a better HC from day 1 than Zimmer is 100% false.
Most NFL teams need OL. And if this guy is one of the best out there don't anyone think there would be a war to get him? Just like there were plenty of teams after Cousins. They couldn't get a 1st rounder for one of the best with years left to play. There's more to it. And maybe Speilman did make an offer and they said no. Nobody knows the detail of what happened behind the scene.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

For those who think the Vikings didn't make a play for Kevin Zeitler ...
Report: Vikings attempted to trade Everson Griffen to the Browns

Heading into the 2019 offseason, there were some who believed that Everson Griffen had already played his last snap in a Minnesota Vikings uniform.

Griffen had a large cap hit for 2019 looming and he was coming off of one of the least productive seasons of his NFL career. So the defensive end playing elsewhere in 2019 began to actually seem like a legit possibility.

According to the Star Tribune’s Andrew Krammer on Wednesday, the Vikings wanted to acquire Browns offensive guard Kevin Zeitler and Minnesota was using Griffen as part of the trade package they were offering.

Cleveland eventually decided to send Zeitler packing, but not to the Vikings. Instead, the Browns traded the offensive guard and a 2019 fifth-round draft pick to the New York Giants in exchange for pass rusher Olivier Vernon and a 2019 fourth-round selection.

Vernon is three years younger than Griffen and this likely played a big part in Cleveland not taking Minnesota up on whatever they were offering for Zeitler.
More at the link.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:57 pm For those who think the Vikings didn't make a play for Kevin Zeitler ...
Report: Vikings attempted to trade Everson Griffen to the Browns

Heading into the 2019 offseason, there were some who believed that Everson Griffen had already played his last snap in a Minnesota Vikings uniform.

Griffen had a large cap hit for 2019 looming and he was coming off of one of the least productive seasons of his NFL career. So the defensive end playing elsewhere in 2019 began to actually seem like a legit possibility.

According to the Star Tribune’s Andrew Krammer on Wednesday, the Vikings wanted to acquire Browns offensive guard Kevin Zeitler and Minnesota was using Griffen as part of the trade package they were offering.

Cleveland eventually decided to send Zeitler packing, but not to the Vikings. Instead, the Browns traded the offensive guard and a 2019 fifth-round draft pick to the New York Giants in exchange for pass rusher Olivier Vernon and a 2019 fourth-round selection.

Vernon is three years younger than Griffen and this likely played a big part in Cleveland not taking Minnesota up on whatever they were offering for Zeitler.
More at the link.
Great post Kapp. I also wonder how much the incident for Griffin caused by the mental issues came into play in the decision. I'm sure quite a bit. A risk/worth situation to Browns mngt I'm sure, and also as u said adding the the fact that Vernon is 3 yrs younger, really probably a very easy decision for the Browns.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:50 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:57 pm For those who think the Vikings didn't make a play for Kevin Zeitler ...

More at the link.
Great post Kapp. I also wonder how much the incident for Griffin caused by the mental issues came into play in the decision. I'm sure quite a bit. A risk/worth situation to Browns mngt I'm sure, and also as u said adding the the fact that Vernon is 3 yrs younger, really probably a very easy decision for the Browns.
Yeah, If you put up an aging player with mental issues (that cost him most of the season with us, and when he came back he was only about 50%) as part of a trade deal that would have instantly upgraded the Oline by about 50%, you just aernt trying. But its so vital we re-signed Griff, LOL.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

More at the link.
Everybody said Speilman didn't try. I posted before this post that maybe he did. Who knows if this report is true? These published reports about how good or bad an OL is are bogus. PFF has no idea. They don't know the line call so there is no way to make a judgment. Supposedly the Steelers are near the top of OL play. Plus they have a HOF QB. Were did that great OL take them. I think it's a sive. One thing I will say about our OL is they are about the best in the business at run blocking. Even with a rookie who was weak, supposedly, at RT. Cook average nearly 5 yards a pop. But PFF thinks our OL is pitiful. Unless Cook is the next Walter Payton type of back which I doubt. Our problem was we did run at all. Bang the ball all day long.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:27 am

Yeah, If you put up an aging player with mental issues (that cost him most of the season with us, and when he came back he was only about 50%) as part of a trade deal that would have instantly upgraded the Oline by about 50%, you just aernt trying. But its so vital we re-signed Griff, LOL.
50%? He is one player and he plays RG. He is a big upgrade over Kline for sure, but we would still have no LG, a center who struggled a ton last season, and big hole at DE. I would have hated this trade especially since it would have likely cost us a pick.

12 million a year for a RG? A good GM should be able to improve that position via the draft and not have to give up that much cap, picks and possibly an impact DE. Even if Griffen is done, Zietler isn't worth the money he would be owed, imo.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:44 am
PurpleKoolaid wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:27 am

50%? He is one player and he plays RG. He is a big upgrade over Kline for sure, but we would still have no LG, a center who struggled a ton last season, and big hole at DE. I would have hated this trade especially since it would have likely cost us a pick.

12 million a year for a RG? A good GM should be able to improve that position via the draft and not have to give up that much cap, picks and possibly an impact DE. Even if Griffen is done, Zietler isn't worth the money he would be owed, imo.

First off, I was exaggerating. Secondly, Rick paid (well the Wilfs did) Kirk friggin Cousins 28 billion last year for 8 wins, and the Viking seriously regressed. Hes the reason we cant ply players that are worth more what they need to play here. And obviously I know thats your opinion, I didnt think you have someone else writing your posts, doh. Sometimes playing a player a lot is worth it. Just because Rick has NO idea of a players worth doesnt mean thats not true.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:56 am
StumpHunter wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:44 am

First off, I was exaggerating. Secondly, Rick paid (well the Wilfs did) Kirk friggin Cousins 28 billion last year for 8 wins, and the Viking seriously regressed. Hes the reason we cant ply players that are worth more what they need to play here. And obviously I know thats your opinion, I didnt think you have someone else writing your posts, doh. Sometimes playing a player a lot is worth it. Just because Rick has NO idea of a players worth doesnt mean thats not true.
I put IMO, because to often people take opinions as if you think they are facts.

Cousins contract is the biggest reason you can't make this trade. He is a sunk cost at this point, and the Vikings need to start looking to build through the draft and avoid overpaying for FAs or trades for overpaid players at positions that can be found later in the draft.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:07 am
PurpleKoolaid wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:56 am

I put IMO, because to often people take opinions as if you think they are facts.

Cousins contract is the biggest reason you can't make this trade. He is a sunk cost at this point, and the Vikings need to start looking to build through the draft and avoid overpaying for FAs or trades for overpaid players at positions that can be found later in the draft.

So when quality FAs are available to the Vikings, its a bad idea (great idea for the other teams that have won the SB over the past 10 years though). Why does everything have to be so dramatic? By paying a lot for FAs DOESNT mean you aernt building a team with the draft, BOTH work well to get the big prize. Just not QB FAs Rick like. Or WR's.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:30 am
StumpHunter wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:07 am

So when quality FAs are available to the Vikings, its a bad idea (great idea for the other teams that have won the SB over the past 10 years though). Why does everything have to be so dramatic? By paying a lot for FAs DOESNT mean you aernt building a team with the draft, BOTH work well to get the big prize. Just not QB FAs Rick like. Or WR's.
Ideally you do both. Paying over 10% of the cap to one player, limits your options though and it is a big reason so few QBs making that much of the cap have ever won a SB. It makes paying a RG 12 million per year a bad move. LT sure, but RG? I will take my chances in the draft.