Official Combine Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

YikesVikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 846
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am
x 73

Official Combine Thread

Post by YikesVikes » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:08 pm

I felt that we should have started one of these by now. As most of you know, the combine moves and drops a lot of players due to overreactions.

I plan to come back and do a day of winners and losers post each day.
0 x

StumpHunter
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 562
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 46

Re: Official Combine Thread

Post by StumpHunter » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:26 am

Kyler Murray is 5 10, not 5 9. That means he is still probably too short to play QB in the NFL, but an inch less too short. AZ talked to him, which is a bad sign for Josh Rosen.
0 x

User avatar
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3801
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
x 53

Re: Official Combine Thread

Post by fiestavike » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:42 pm

YikesVikes wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:08 pm
I felt that we should have started one of these by now. As most of you know, the combine moves and drops a lot of players due to overreactions.

I plan to come back and do a day of winners and losers post each day.
So many good Guards/Centers in this draft. The top tackles will probably be gone by 18. Will the Vikings consider a 2nd tier Tackle or 1st tier guard as early as 18? Should be an interesting draft. LB, DT, TE, might all be needs which could be met at 18.
0 x

YikesVikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 846
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am
x 73

Re: Official Combine Thread

Post by YikesVikes » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:51 pm

fiestavike wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:42 pm
YikesVikes wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:08 pm
I felt that we should have started one of these by now. As most of you know, the combine moves and drops a lot of players due to overreactions.

I plan to come back and do a day of winners and losers post each day.
So many good Guards/Centers in this draft. The top tackles will probably be gone by 18. Will the Vikings consider a 2nd tier Tackle or 1st tier guard as early as 18? Should be an interesting draft. LB, DT, TE, might all be needs which could be met at 18.
I think there are a few elite guys out there. Bradbury, Ford, risner
are elite guys. After them, it drys up quick.
0 x

YikesVikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 846
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am
x 73

Re: Official Combine Thread

Post by YikesVikes » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:54 pm

Hakeem Butler just ran a 4.49... not going to be there in the 2nd
0 x

User avatar
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3801
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
x 53

Re: Official Combine Thread

Post by fiestavike » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:01 pm

YikesVikes wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:51 pm
fiestavike wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:42 pm


So many good Guards/Centers in this draft. The top tackles will probably be gone by 18. Will the Vikings consider a 2nd tier Tackle or 1st tier guard as early as 18? Should be an interesting draft. LB, DT, TE, might all be needs which could be met at 18.
I think there are a few elite guys out there. Bradbury, Ford, risner
are elite guys. After them, it drys up quick.
Jonah Williams, Eric McCoy, Lindstrom, and I think there is a deep 2nd tier as well, including Bates, Samia, Dieter, McGary.

I think all those guys can start in this league.
0 x

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7263
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
x 154

Re: Official Combine Thread

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:38 pm

Did you guys see this D.K. Metcalf from Ole Miss?

6-3, 228-pound WR put up a 4.33. That is scary.
0 x
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

User avatar
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8641
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm
x 28

Re: Official Combine Thread

Post by PurpleKoolaid » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:03 pm

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:38 pm
Did you guys see this D.K. Metcalf from Ole Miss?

6-3, 228-pound WR put up a 4.33. That is scary.
Would love to get this guy. Heck, he could play TE in a pinch. Crazy fast, tall end zone threat, needs to work a bit on routes and catching the ball. Hes going to be a good blocking WR. I think he would make a perfect 3rd WR for us.
0 x

User avatar
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8641
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm
x 28

Re: Official Combine Thread

Post by PurpleKoolaid » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:04 pm

YikesVikes wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:51 pm
fiestavike wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:42 pm


So many good Guards/Centers in this draft. The top tackles will probably be gone by 18. Will the Vikings consider a 2nd tier Tackle or 1st tier guard as early as 18? Should be an interesting draft. LB, DT, TE, might all be needs which could be met at 18.
I think there are a few elite guys out there. Bradbury, Ford, risner
are elite guys. After them, it drys up quick.
I wouldnt mind if Rick picked any of these guys, but Ford is the only one I'd take at 18. If BPA isnt available at 18, I expect Rick will do some trading.
0 x

YikesVikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 846
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am
x 73

Re: Official Combine Thread

Post by YikesVikes » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:28 pm

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:03 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:38 pm
Did you guys see this D.K. Metcalf from Ole Miss?

6-3, 228-pound WR put up a 4.33. That is scary.
Would love to get this guy. Heck, he could play TE in a pinch. Crazy fast, tall end zone threat, needs to work a bit on routes and catching the ball. Hes going to be a good blocking WR. I think he would make a perfect 3rd WR for us.
I would like to have Butler in the 2nd.
0 x

YikesVikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 846
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am
x 73

Re: Official Combine Thread

Post by YikesVikes » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:29 pm

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:38 pm
Did you guys see this D.K. Metcalf from Ole Miss?

6-3, 228-pound WR put up a 4.33. That is scary.
The guy is built like a super hero. Only knock is quickness. He was in the 3rd percentile in 20 yard and 3 cone.
0 x

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7263
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
x 154

Re: Official Combine Thread

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:31 pm

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:03 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:38 pm
Did you guys see this D.K. Metcalf from Ole Miss?

6-3, 228-pound WR put up a 4.33. That is scary.
Would love to get this guy. Heck, he could play TE in a pinch. Crazy fast, tall end zone threat, needs to work a bit on routes and catching the ball. Hes going to be a good blocking WR. I think he would make a perfect 3rd WR for us.
I haven't seen film on him, but he sure looked good in the gauntlet drill. Caught everything with the hands easily, and away from the body. He also did 27 reps of 225, which is simply ridiculous for a WR. If he can learn how to get separation in the NFL, he'll be a monster.

Unfortunately for us, he's probably vaulted himself into a top-10 pick at this point.
0 x
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6543
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY
x 161

Re: Official Combine Thread

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:20 am

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:31 pm
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:03 pm


Would love to get this guy. Heck, he could play TE in a pinch. Crazy fast, tall end zone threat, needs to work a bit on routes and catching the ball. Hes going to be a good blocking WR. I think he would make a perfect 3rd WR for us.
I haven't seen film on him, but he sure looked good in the gauntlet drill. Caught everything with the hands easily, and away from the body. He also did 27 reps of 225, which is simply ridiculous for a WR. If he can learn how to get separation in the NFL, he'll be a monster.

Unfortunately for us, he's probably vaulted himself into a top-10 pick at this point.
His film is pretty impressive that’s for sure. No way he falls to 18 IMO.
0 x
Image

CharVike
Veteran
Posts: 269
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:28 pm
x 33

Re: Official Combine Thread

Post by CharVike » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:52 pm

How about if Drew Lock is there. That needs to be the pick. One mock had him at 5 to Denver and another had him to the Skins at 15. How does a QB drop that much. Maybe the Giants take him. But most mocks I've seen have the Ohio ST guy going there. Drafttech has us taking Christian Wilkins with Ford at 23. So Ford will be there.
0 x

User avatar
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3801
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
x 53

Re: Official Combine Thread

Post by fiestavike » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:35 pm

CharVike wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:52 pm
How about if Drew Lock is there. That needs to be the pick. One mock had him at 5 to Denver and another had him to the Skins at 15. How does a QB drop that much. Maybe the Giants take him. But most mocks I've seen have the Ohio ST guy going there. Drafttech has us taking Christian Wilkins with Ford at 23. So Ford will be there.
I'll be curious to see what happens with QB this year. I know we usually see QBs vaulted up the board, but FA this year could be used by most of the QB needy teams to fill that need. Foles to Jacksonville, Teddy to Miami, etc all make sense. A lot of teams near the bottom have young QBs they recently drafted and so might not be in the market. If the Vikings have a QB they like at 18 I wonder if they'd do it.
0 x