Bringing back AP

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Do you want AP back in purple?

No, I don't like winning
88%
Yes, it is a no brainer
13%

Total votes: 8

StumpHunter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Bringing back AP

Post by StumpHunter » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:42 pm

Terell Davis recently stated on the NFL Network that the Vikings should look to bring back AP, and I for one think it is a great idea.

Not to be the starter or workhorse back he used to be, but to replace Murray as he moves on in FAs. He just played for 1 million in Washington, and I think 4 million (500K guaranteed) with some incentives could get him back here, maybe even less.

Setting aside the fact that this team was terrible at rushing the football last season and could use a jump start in the run game, how fun would it be to watch AP pass Bettis and Tomlinson in rushing yards as a Vikings this season?

There is no guarantee that he still has it, and I wouldn't want him to be the only option in training camp at the #2 spot, but I would love to see him signed, and able to compete for backup running back. A complete change of pace from Cook, he is a stud on the goalline and other short yardage situations.
0 x

S197
Fenrir

Re: Bringing back AP

Post by S197 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:30 pm

I like your poll options :lol:

I think if they can fix the line, he has some tread left and can contribute. The problem with Murray in short yardage is despite his size, he runs way too upright. He would have a greatly diminished role but I can see him like a CJ Anderson/Blount type role at the end of their careers.
0 x

StumpHunter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by StumpHunter » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:22 am

S197 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:30 pm
I like your poll options :lol:

I think if they can fix the line, he has some tread left and can contribute. The problem with Murray in short yardage is despite his size, he runs way too upright. He would have a greatly diminished role but I can see him like a CJ Anderson/Blount type role at the end of their careers.
The first option should actually be "No, I prefer holding on to grudges over winning."

I think AP with fresh legs in January, similar to CJ this year, is a scary thought. If we are out of the playoff hunt, then like I said above, watching AP move up the rushing leader board would keep the season interesting.
0 x

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:24 pm

Not gonna vote because I don't like the options. Yes or No would have been sufficient.

Here's the thing. I would love having AP back -- as a backup. In Murray's role, perhaps (even that has its drawbacks ... Murray is excellent in pass protection and catches the ball well, AP does neither). But not as a workhorse back.

Dalvin Cook is our feature back, and he should be. I personally believe he's one of the most talented backs in the NFL, and his role should be expanded. So if AP came back and caused any kind of a stir ... from as much as openly griping to as little as a dirty look toward his coach ... I would not want him here.

He's a Hall-of-Fame running back with more than 13,000 yards, but he's at the twilight of his career. He may still be cut like a Roman god, he can probably push out 30 reps of 225, but he's not the back he once was. He would HAVE to happily accept a backup role, or I wouldn't pay lunch money for him.
0 x
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:31 am

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:24 pm
Not gonna vote because I don't like the options. Yes or No would have been sufficient.

Here's the thing. I would love having AP back -- as a backup. In Murray's role, perhaps (even that has its drawbacks ... Murray is excellent in pass protection and catches the ball well, AP does neither). But not as a workhorse back.

Dalvin Cook is our feature back, and he should be. I personally believe he's one of the most talented backs in the NFL, and his role should be expanded. So if AP came back and caused any kind of a stir ... from as much as openly griping to as little as a dirty look toward his coach ... I would not want him here.

He's a Hall-of-Fame running back with more than 13,000 yards, but he's at the twilight of his career. He may still be cut like a Roman god, he can probably push out 30 reps of 225, but he's not the back he once was. He would HAVE to happily accept a backup role, or I wouldn't pay lunch money for him.
My concern with Cook is his durability. I also think Murray is a better OVERALL back than AD at this point in his career. And Murray has better ball security than AD.
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018

StumpHunter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by StumpHunter » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:05 pm

PurpleMustReign wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:31 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:24 pm

My concern with Cook is his durability. I also think Murray is a better OVERALL back than AD at this point in his career. And Murray has better ball security than AD.
AP is the better runner. At the end of the day, that is what matters the most. Especially when we are talking about the backup spot, and when the #1 is pretty good at blocking and catching.

Also, Murray is likely gone and I see very little chance the Vikings re-sign him.
0 x