Super bowl

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

YikesVikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 698
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am

Re: Super bowl

Post by YikesVikes » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:10 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:06 pm
YikesVikes wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:36 pm


My only problem with that statement is that I don't want a good olineman. This line needs a gamechanger. The same way you will want a WR corp made up of several good WRs and atleast one gamechanger. We don't have that one guy on the oline that we can run behind consistently on 4th and 1. We have 2 good guys and badly need a stud on the oline. Not saying, it isn't possible in round 2-4 but it is less likely. Not sure why we would invest another 1st rounder in a position that doesn't need it (almost all of our other positions). To me those are the positions that we can do without a gamechanger and put a good player.

QB - No need for a GC
RB - No need for a GC
WR - No need for a GC
TE - No need for a GC
OLine - No need for a GC
DL - No need for a GC
Lb - Possible need
CB - No need for a GC
Safety - No need for a GC

Of all the positions on our team, the positions that need the biggest infusion of talent is the Oline. LB can make due with a 2nd round talent. DT is a possible but we should be able to pair 1 average guy with our 3 out Allstars.
I agree with what you are saying but whether we are picking at 18th in the 1st or 50th in the 2nd I dont think it matters. We can find a game changer at either spot. If a few top OL go and we're up at 18, I dont mind passing and waiting until the 2nd. I'm sure there will be one guy everyone will complain about not taking like guys did with Hernandez this year, however, O'Neill might have been the better pick in the end. You have to remember this draft is very defense heavy. OL are going to fall well into the 2nd. If we have an opportunity to get a guy like Montez Sweat and then follow up with a guard like Chris Lindstrom from BC, Michael Jordan from Ohio St or Michael Deiter from Wisconsin, I'm ecstatic!. We cant just hone in on offensive line Round 1 or we are going to possibly screw ourselves.

You say there are no needs for game changers at all these positions but do you think the Vikings needed a game changer at WR when we had Cris Carter and Jake Reed but decided to draft Randy Moss?? What if Montez Sweat is sitting there, we have him ranked very high on our board and let Griffen walk this offseason (or even if we didnt)? What if he is the next Khalil Mack but we pass on him because we have offensive line goggles on? I keep saying to this day, I take Mike Hughes and Brian O'Neill any day of the week over Will Hernandez and Josh Jackson. We made the right call last year with our first two picks.

All I'm saying is I just want us to pick smart and not to have tunnel vision for OL. There will be A LOT of talent in the 2nd and 3rd round this draft. Not saying we should pass in the first but if we did, we are still in great shape.
If there is a talent like Moss or Mack, draft them. However, I don't think that was the scenario. At 18, those guys typically arent sitting there. The run on DL and LB expect is a pefect reason to take an OL. You are getting top of the draft talent later in the round. Think of it like Avocados becoming popular. A grade A apple is still sitting there. Trading back to get an extra pick and selecting a B apple is bad business for me. I expect us to trade back because RIck loves his picks.
0 x

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5924
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Super bowl

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:43 pm

YikesVikes wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:10 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:06 pm


I agree with what you are saying but whether we are picking at 18th in the 1st or 50th in the 2nd I dont think it matters. We can find a game changer at either spot. If a few top OL go and we're up at 18, I dont mind passing and waiting until the 2nd. I'm sure there will be one guy everyone will complain about not taking like guys did with Hernandez this year, however, O'Neill might have been the better pick in the end. You have to remember this draft is very defense heavy. OL are going to fall well into the 2nd. If we have an opportunity to get a guy like Montez Sweat and then follow up with a guard like Chris Lindstrom from BC, Michael Jordan from Ohio St or Michael Deiter from Wisconsin, I'm ecstatic!. We cant just hone in on offensive line Round 1 or we are going to possibly screw ourselves.

You say there are no needs for game changers at all these positions but do you think the Vikings needed a game changer at WR when we had Cris Carter and Jake Reed but decided to draft Randy Moss?? What if Montez Sweat is sitting there, we have him ranked very high on our board and let Griffen walk this offseason (or even if we didnt)? What if he is the next Khalil Mack but we pass on him because we have offensive line goggles on? I keep saying to this day, I take Mike Hughes and Brian O'Neill any day of the week over Will Hernandez and Josh Jackson. We made the right call last year with our first two picks.

All I'm saying is I just want us to pick smart and not to have tunnel vision for OL. There will be A LOT of talent in the 2nd and 3rd round this draft. Not saying we should pass in the first but if we did, we are still in great shape.
If there is a talent like Moss or Mack, draft them. However, I don't think that was the scenario. At 18, those guys typically arent sitting there. The run on DL and LB expect is a pefect reason to take an OL. You are getting top of the draft talent later in the round. Think of it like Avocados becoming popular. A grade A apple is still sitting there. Trading back to get an extra pick and selecting a B apple is bad business for me. I expect us to trade back because RIck loves his picks.
I agree with what you’re saying but if a guy like Sweat is there, he’s hard to pass up for an offensive lineman
0 x
Image

YikesVikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 698
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am

Re: Super bowl

Post by YikesVikes » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:56 am

You're too high on Sweat. Guy has some ability but he is really robotic, stand up out of his stance too often and I think he was blocked to easily buy sub NFL talent. He will need a lot of work to correct some of his issues in the pros. He will go in the first because of his length but if you watch him, he's not smooth in running and isn't a natural athlete at the position.
0 x

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5924
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Super bowl

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:00 pm

YikesVikes wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:56 am
You're too high on Sweat. Guy has some ability but he is really robotic, stand up out of his stance too often and I think he was blocked to easily buy sub NFL talent. He will need a lot of work to correct some of his issues in the pros. He will go in the first because of his length but if you watch him, he's not smooth in running and isn't a natural athlete at the position.
Literally exactly what hunter was like. Hunter is a straight up and down, robotic type runner as well. He’s hunters clone IMO. I trust Andre Patterson with him 10 times out of 10. The ability is there just like it was with hunter. Hunter was much worse in college than Sweat was too
0 x
Image

YikesVikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 698
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am

Re: Super bowl

Post by YikesVikes » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:43 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:00 pm
YikesVikes wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:56 am
You're too high on Sweat. Guy has some ability but he is really robotic, stand up out of his stance too often and I think he was blocked to easily buy sub NFL talent. He will need a lot of work to correct some of his issues in the pros. He will go in the first because of his length but if you watch him, he's not smooth in running and isn't a natural athlete at the position.
Literally exactly what hunter was like. Hunter is a straight up and down, robotic type runner as well. He’s hunters clone IMO. I trust Andre Patterson with him 10 times out of 10. The ability is there just like it was with hunter. Hunter was much worse in college than Sweat was too
IMHO, Hunter fired out from his stance and played with much better pad level. He wasn't a huge sack artist and needed more rush moves but he looked the part of a DE. His build was also very different. Sweats lower body is very thin. Hunter didn't have those issues. If we get him, so well but I don 't see Mack. I see Michael Johnson from the Bengals.

Hunter vs. Bama
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcJzvppzHOY

Hunter body
http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/p ... 193334.jpg

Sweatz
https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/A ... 500353.jpg
0 x

YikesVikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 698
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am

Re: Super bowl

Post by YikesVikes » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:49 pm

My pick outside of a OT would be Christian Wilkinson. I believe he is Warren Sapp. Incredible off the ball. Moved to DE to help out this year but is really a 3 tech. Caught passes down field and in the endzone as well, proving his athletic ability. He's 320 and no one should move like that at that size. Give Patterson this guy and we will be fantastic. I've been talking about him since last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4GdNiByZXE
0 x

User avatar
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8522
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm

Re: Super bowl

Post by PurpleKoolaid » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:29 pm

YikesVikes wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:49 pm
My pick outside of a OT would be Christian Wilkinson. I believe he is Warren Sapp. Incredible off the ball. Moved to DE to help out this year but is really a 3 tech. Caught passes down field and in the endzone as well, proving his athletic ability. He's 320 and no one should move like that at that size. Give Patterson this guy and we will be fantastic. I've been talking about him since last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4GdNiByZXE
This is the guy I like too, could replace Sheldon, and start day 1. I am a bit worried about Joseph. He didnt play very well this year. He is one of my favorite Vikings ever, so I keep a close eye on him. A lot of the energy he had, which other players picked up on, wasnt there.
0 x

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5924
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Super bowl

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:01 am

YikesVikes wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:43 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:00 pm


Literally exactly what hunter was like. Hunter is a straight up and down, robotic type runner as well. He’s hunters clone IMO. I trust Andre Patterson with him 10 times out of 10. The ability is there just like it was with hunter. Hunter was much worse in college than Sweat was too
IMHO, Hunter fired out from his stance and played with much better pad level. He wasn't a huge sack artist and needed more rush moves but he looked the part of a DE. His build was also very different. Sweats lower body is very thin. Hunter didn't have those issues. If we get him, so well but I don 't see Mack. I see Michael Johnson from the Bengals.

Hunter vs. Bama
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcJzvppzHOY

Hunter body
http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/p ... 193334.jpg

Sweatz
https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/A ... 500353.jpg
I agree partially with what you are saying but I'm not saying I see Mack in him either. I'm just saying, if a big time DE is sitting there at 18 like a Sweat, I hope we dont have OL goggles on and pass on a guy like that. Or possibly a guy like Devin Bush. These guys could be the next best DEs or LBs in the NFL. Granted if a top OL like Cody Ford is there, then yeah take him. But if a few of these guys go and Bush and/or Sweat is sitting there, pull the trigger. Dont pass on guys like that just because we "need" OL. If that situations happen, I'm sure guys on here will be snapping but it's a smart move if you ask me. OL is deep this year however so is DE and LB. But IMO, you see first round DE's and LBs making a much bigger impact that first round OL. Brian O'Neill performed better than a good chunk of the OL that were drafted in front of him. The only ones I would say looked better than O'Neill were Nelson (obviously, might have been the best OG in football) and possibly Hernandez (who's play dropped off quite a bit by years end. I would say McGlinchey was right on par with O'Neill and Kolton Miller was awful. Corbett was pretty brutal. Braden Smith was decent. Connor Williams struggled. And James Daniels was decent. And in the end, O'Neill might have been the best pass blocker in the class.

In the end, I think you can find a good plug and play offensive lineman in the 2nd and 3rd round. Probably LB too but DE....that's a different story IMO.
0 x
Image

YikesVikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 698
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am

Re: Super bowl

Post by YikesVikes » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:25 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:01 am
YikesVikes wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:43 pm


IMHO, Hunter fired out from his stance and played with much better pad level. He wasn't a huge sack artist and needed more rush moves but he looked the part of a DE. His build was also very different. Sweats lower body is very thin. Hunter didn't have those issues. If we get him, so well but I don 't see Mack. I see Michael Johnson from the Bengals.

Hunter vs. Bama
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcJzvppzHOY

Hunter body
http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/p ... 193334.jpg

Sweatz
https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/A ... 500353.jpg
I agree partially with what you are saying but I'm not saying I see Mack in him either. I'm just saying, if a big-time DE is sitting there at 18 like a Sweat, I hope we dont have OL goggles on and pass on a guy like that. Or possibly a guy like Devin Bush. These guys could be the next best DEs or LBs in the NFL. Granted if a top OL like Cody Ford is there, then yeah take him. But if a few of these guys go and Bush and/or Sweat is sitting there, pull the trigger. Dont pass on guys like that just because we "need" OL. If those situations happen, I'm sure guys on here will be snapping but it's a smart move if you ask me. OL is deep this year however so is DE and LB. But IMO, you see first round DE's and LBs making a much bigger impact that first round OL. Brian O'Neill performed better than a good chunk of the OL that were drafted in front of him. The only ones I would say looked better than O'Neill was Nelson (obviously, might have been the best OG in football) and possibly Hernandez (who's play dropped off quite a bit by years end. I would say McGlinchey was right on par with O'Neill and Kolton Miller was awful. Corbett was pretty brutal. Braden Smith was decent. Connor Williams struggled. And James Daniels was decent. And in the end, O'Neill might have been the best pass blocker in the class.

In the end, I think you can find a good plug and play offensive lineman in the 2nd and 3rd round. Probably LB too but DE....that's a different story IMO.
Oh, I agree with you. I don't like selecting players in the 1st after a run has been made on them. If you are selecting the 6th ranked player at a position in round 1, you have over drafted them because, if 6th of 1 position has gone, another position should be sitting there untouched. My point was more towards, things being a bit closer in nature, 3rd OT and 3rd DL on board. OT is the answer for us because our need at the position is that great. Only guys I am taking on the DLine that that position are Oliver, Bosa, DT from Alabama, LB from LSU, Murray from OKL.
0 x

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5924
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Super bowl

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:53 am

YikesVikes wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:25 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:01 am


I agree partially with what you are saying but I'm not saying I see Mack in him either. I'm just saying, if a big-time DE is sitting there at 18 like a Sweat, I hope we dont have OL goggles on and pass on a guy like that. Or possibly a guy like Devin Bush. These guys could be the next best DEs or LBs in the NFL. Granted if a top OL like Cody Ford is there, then yeah take him. But if a few of these guys go and Bush and/or Sweat is sitting there, pull the trigger. Dont pass on guys like that just because we "need" OL. If those situations happen, I'm sure guys on here will be snapping but it's a smart move if you ask me. OL is deep this year however so is DE and LB. But IMO, you see first round DE's and LBs making a much bigger impact that first round OL. Brian O'Neill performed better than a good chunk of the OL that were drafted in front of him. The only ones I would say looked better than O'Neill was Nelson (obviously, might have been the best OG in football) and possibly Hernandez (who's play dropped off quite a bit by years end. I would say McGlinchey was right on par with O'Neill and Kolton Miller was awful. Corbett was pretty brutal. Braden Smith was decent. Connor Williams struggled. And James Daniels was decent. And in the end, O'Neill might have been the best pass blocker in the class.

In the end, I think you can find a good plug and play offensive lineman in the 2nd and 3rd round. Probably LB too but DE....that's a different story IMO.
Oh, I agree with you. I don't like selecting players in the 1st after a run has been made on them. If you are selecting the 6th ranked player at a position in round 1, you have over drafted them because, if 6th of 1 position has gone, another position should be sitting there untouched. My point was more towards, things being a bit closer in nature, 3rd OT and 3rd DL on board. OT is the answer for us because our need at the position is that great. Only guys I am taking on the DLine that that position are Oliver, Bosa, DT from Alabama, LB from LSU, Murray from OKL.
I agree as well. I mean I feel like guard is the bigger need. There are a lot of tackles that can play guard out there. But I'm starting to think there is an immediate need for LT right now given Reiff's uncertainty and inconsistencies. I really would like to see O'Neill moved to LT. I think he would really excel there. But as I mentioned before, there arent many true first round guards. However, rounds 2-3 have a lot of solid guard prospects in there. I dont want to say we HAVE to do this but I'm hoping we go with LT and OG in rounds 1 and 3 or 2 and 3. Maybe stretch OG to round 4 if guys like Lindstrom, Deiter and/or Jordan are falling. Free agency is definitely going to hinge how we approach the draft but there arent many great OL in free agency this year and my guess is some of them are just going to be resigned by their own teams like Saffold and how Glowinski already did.

There are some sleepers but not many. I'm guessing we assess at least 1 OG position in free agency. I just hope we choose someone much better than Compton. Some guys I would mind are Matt Paradis or Mitch Morse. They are both centers that can play guard. Or maybe we even move Elflein to guard. Paradis has the connection with Kubiak and Dennison so he could be a good bet. My deep sleeper would be BJ Finney. He wasnt a starter in Pitt because of how good their OL was but he did excellent in some spot starts and could come cheap. Paul Allen thinks that Kubiak and Dennison will blow up this OL and we could see 5-6 new players in the OL room and some positions switched. It would be interesting to see for sure.
0 x
Image