Super bowl

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Raz
Starter
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:06 pm
x 3

Super bowl

Post by Raz » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:51 pm

Well the patriots proved 1978 football can still get it done. Strong defense excellent punting and running the ball won the game. They aren't fancy looks like they really only run about 10 different plays but they do them well. Belicheck is the standard in which all else will be measured. In my meager opinion I don't think our beloved Vikings are that far out the pace a line upgrade and we are really close.
0 x

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11703
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii
x 198

Re: Super bowl

Post by S197 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:57 pm

Easily one of the most boring Superbowls in recent memory. But credit to BB for putting on an absolute clinic of a defensive game plan. This was a very old school win, defense and the running game. I was pretty skeptical you can win a championship in the modern NFL era with an elite defense but that's what the Pats did today. They weren't elite all year but they were when they needed to be. Same with the OL.

Goff looked far worse than Cousins under pressure. Even a high powered offense stalls under that type of pressure. Brady again looked very average. He had one great throw to Gronk and not much else. Nearly 3 turnovers in the 1st quarter. Edelman had a great game but no way he deserved MVP. No one on offense did.
1 x

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3684
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
x 74

Re: Super bowl

Post by mansquatch » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:02 am

I actually loved that game. It proved the value of coaching, in game adjustments, and execution. The Rams were completely over matched against the defense and not because the Pats have a bunch of physical specimens. It was because the players executed and BB was one or two steps ahead of McVay the entire game.

For me the best part of the game was how tight it was until the end. Every little thing every player and coach did mattered. Mistakes early on compiled and eventually the Rams D got tired enough for the Pats to make a drive to seal the win. IMO, it was a great game for fans who appreciate the depth of the game. Having Romo call it was icing on the cake because it opened the door to some of what goes on behind the scenes and not just one play after another, thinks like pacing, tendencies, etc.
2 x
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6684
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY
x 187

Re: Super bowl

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:22 am

S197 wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:57 pm
Easily one of the most boring Superbowls in recent memory. But credit to BB for putting on an absolute clinic of a defensive game plan. This was a very old school win, defense and the running game. I was pretty skeptical you can win a championship in the modern NFL era with an elite defense but that's what the Pats did today. They weren't elite all year but they were when they needed to be. Same with the OL.

Goff looked far worse than Cousins under pressure. Even a high powered offense stalls under that type of pressure. Brady again looked very average. He had one great throw to Gronk and not much else. Nearly 3 turnovers in the 1st quarter. Edelman had a great game but no way he deserved MVP. No one on offense did.
Agreed. I will say, I'm so sick of everyone giving praise to Brady. Bill Belichick is the greatest coach to ever live and it's not even close. Tom Brady, Edelman, their OL, half the duds on their defense, etc would be non-existent if it wasnt for BB. He's the only coach I've ever seen that can have a bunch of no-names on his roster and have elite game-planning on BOTH the offense and defensive side of the ball and have elite play out of those players. Yes you are right, Brady looked average. It looks like Gronk's entire body is in pain when he tries to run, Edelman played great but is another WR that would be irrelevant on most other teams (similar to Wes Welker), their OL was pretty legit all game for as good as the Rams front is, their defense....my god, they have a couple legit players but outside of that, never should it be shutting the Rams offense down and they did in all phases.

I mean picking up guys like Danny Shelton (first round flop in Cleveland), Kyle Van Noy (flop in Detroit), starting CB JC Jackson (UDFA that was kicked out of Florida), starting MLB Elandon Roberts (6th round pick in 2016), starting DL Deatrich Wise (4th round pick), starting DL Lawrence Guy (FA signing that was a rotational player in Baltimore), starting DL Trey Flowers (4th round pick in 2015), Albert McLellan (was released by the Ravens when they signed Ty Montgomery), Duron Harmon (who recently tried to smuggle drugs into Costa Rica) and so on. That is legit half of their defense that was either a mid to late round pick, UDFA, or a FA signing that was a flop somewhere else. It's unreal!

Even their offensive line....

-They traded with SF for their LT Trent Brown. Gave up a 3rd round pick for a 5th and Brown.
-LG Joe Thuney was a 3rd round pick in 2016
-Center David Andrews was an UDFA
-RG Shaq Mason was a 4th round pick in 2015
-RT Marcus Cannon was a 5th round pick in 2011

^That is insane. There isnt a team out there that can have 3 mid round picks that we OL, sign an UDFA and make a trade for an injury prone LT and form an elite OL other than Bill Belichick. Say what you want about Zimmer and who he hires...nobody can do that IMO other than BB.

I mean this is part of the reason I'm not so sold on drafting an offensive lineman round 1 just because we "need" it. We got O'Neill in the 2nd and he didnt allow a single sack on the year. Elflein showed a lot of promise as a rookie and he was a 3rd round pick. Guys still get upset over the Hughes pick but IMO, O'Neill looks to be just as good.
0 x
Image

Sandpounder27
Practice Squad
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:19 am
x 1

Re: Super bowl

Post by Sandpounder27 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:48 am

mansquatch wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:02 am
I actually loved that game. It proved the value of coaching, in game adjustments, and execution. The Rams were completely over matched against the defense and not because the Pats have a bunch of physical specimens. It was because the players executed and BB was one or two steps ahead of McVay the entire game.

For me the best part of the game was how tight it was until the end. Every little thing every player and coach did mattered. Mistakes early on compiled and eventually the Rams D got tired enough for the Pats to make a drive to seal the win. IMO, it was a great game for fans who appreciate the depth of the game. Having Romo call it was icing on the cake because it opened the door to some of what goes on behind the scenes and not just one play after another, thinks like pacing, tendencies, etc.
I totally agree. I love defense, grew up on the Purple People Eaters. This game,once again, showed why BB is the best coach ever.
0 x

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3684
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
x 74

Re: Super bowl

Post by mansquatch » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:07 am

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:22 am
S197 wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:57 pm
Easily one of the most boring Superbowls in recent memory. But credit to BB for putting on an absolute clinic of a defensive game plan. This was a very old school win, defense and the running game. I was pretty skeptical you can win a championship in the modern NFL era with an elite defense but that's what the Pats did today. They weren't elite all year but they were when they needed to be. Same with the OL.

Goff looked far worse than Cousins under pressure. Even a high powered offense stalls under that type of pressure. Brady again looked very average. He had one great throw to Gronk and not much else. Nearly 3 turnovers in the 1st quarter. Edelman had a great game but no way he deserved MVP. No one on offense did.
Agreed. I will say, I'm so sick of everyone giving praise to Brady. Bill Belichick is the greatest coach to ever live and it's not even close. Tom Brady, Edelman, their OL, half the duds on their defense, etc would be non-existent if it wasnt for BB. He's the only coach I've ever seen that can have a bunch of no-names on his roster and have elite game-planning on BOTH the offense and defensive side of the ball and have elite play out of those players. Yes you are right, Brady looked average. It looks like Gronk's entire body is in pain when he tries to run, Edelman played great but is another WR that would be irrelevant on most other teams (similar to Wes Welker), their OL was pretty legit all game for as good as the Rams front is, their defense....my god, they have a couple legit players but outside of that, never should it be shutting the Rams offense down and they did in all phases.

I mean picking up guys like Danny Shelton (first round flop in Cleveland), Kyle Van Noy (flop in Detroit), starting CB JC Jackson (UDFA that was kicked out of Florida), starting MLB Elandon Roberts (6th round pick in 2016), starting DL Deatrich Wise (4th round pick), starting DL Lawrence Guy (FA signing that was a rotational player in Baltimore), starting DL Trey Flowers (4th round pick in 2015), Albert McLellan (was released by the Ravens when they signed Ty Montgomery), Duron Harmon (who recently tried to smuggle drugs into Costa Rica) and so on. That is legit half of their defense that was either a mid to late round pick, UDFA, or a FA signing that was a flop somewhere else. It's unreal!

Even their offensive line....

-They traded with SF for their LT Trent Brown. Gave up a 3rd round pick for a 5th and Brown.
-LG Joe Thuney was a 3rd round pick in 2016
-Center David Andrews was an UDFA
-RG Shaq Mason was a 4th round pick in 2015
-RT Marcus Cannon was a 5th round pick in 2011

^That is insane. There isnt a team out there that can have 3 mid round picks that we OL, sign an UDFA and make a trade for an injury prone LT and form an elite OL other than Bill Belichick. Say what you want about Zimmer and who he hires...nobody can do that IMO other than BB.

I mean this is part of the reason I'm not so sold on drafting an offensive lineman round 1 just because we "need" it. We got O'Neill in the 2nd and he didnt allow a single sack on the year. Elflein showed a lot of promise as a rookie and he was a 3rd round pick. Guys still get upset over the Hughes pick but IMO, O'Neill looks to be just as good.
This is why I've been saying the coaching hires on the offensive side of the ball are the most significant moves this season. BB has figured out a way to get guys coached up and competitive in a 17 week season. It's obvious that he uses September to grow players. But what is going on at Practice? The Pats evolved a few times over the course of the season. BB = GOAT.
0 x
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi

User avatar
Bowhunting Viking
Starter
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:39 am
Location: Convoy, Ohio
x 70

Re: Super bowl

Post by Bowhunting Viking » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:09 am

I know that high octane offenses scoring all game long is what is popular now, and that is what the league and the Networks cherish, but as an old school fan of defensive football I actually liked it. If you love watching great defensive play and great coaching, then last night was your kill ind of game.
I admit that Edelman had a heck of a game and played well, and the dude is a warrior.. but kind of ticks me off he got the MVP. As said the NFL loves its offense so it's not surprising most of the time an offensive player gets the MVP.
I think that Stephon Gilmore actually deserved it more. That kid just plain dominated the secondary. He made so many plays that shut down the Rams O. Just my opinion but I think he did a little more to get the MVP. Or wish they could do a co-MVP when warranted.
0 x
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!

ERIK the PURPLE
Starter
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:16 am
x 10

Re: Super bowl

Post by ERIK the PURPLE » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:12 am

I enjoyed the game. I feel that defense plays a bigger role in the postseason because the refs tend to swallow their whistles and let the players play.
For the majority of the game, it was a one score game so every play mattered. It wasn't a blowout and it wasn't a basketball game (54-51). It was a rough tough championship game. The only thing I didn't appreciate was the constant preaching of the social justice spots. I guess that was part of the NFL's agreement to end the Nation Anthem issue.
0 x

User avatar
Cliff
Site Admin
Posts: 8747
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Location: Kentucky
x 128

Re: Super bowl

Post by Cliff » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:40 am

bowl.jpg

I enjoy a good defensive game as much as the next fan but yesh ...

I think the Rams defense gets a huge shout out. Despite being on the field that long and in bad positions they kept the Patriots to 13 points. This game could have easily been a blowout if the Rams defense hadn't stepped up.

How about those kickers? That was an awesome display by them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

StanM
Waterboy
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:46 am
x 1

Re: Super bowl

Post by StanM » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:10 pm

I've seen a lot of complaints about the game being boring but I thought it was a good game dominated by defense. Every regular season NFL game isn't one for the ages and neither are Super Bowls. The Rams had an opportunity to make it close so there was nearly some drama at the end but NE put it away. I went into it with the hope that I'd be entertained for three and half hours and with the help of a laptop I was able to keep one eye on the game and the other on the upcoming Sprint Car racing season. It was all good.
0 x

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11703
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii
x 198

Re: Super bowl

Post by S197 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:13 pm

I'll admit a big part of me hating this game is I really don't care for either team. BB is definitely the GOAT and I respect him for that, it just gets old seeing them in the championship every year. The time between the AFCC and Superbowl is a scary amount of time for him to Mastermind a plan.

What he's done with that roster is phenomenal but unlikely something the Vikings can emulate. My worry isn't so much that we don't take a guard in the 1st but that we wait until late in the draft to take a guard, which Spielman has continually done with very poor results. I'm trying to remember the last guard we took in say the first 3 rounds and I think it may be Ryan Cook. Who was a Fran Foley pick. Elflein may be the only interior guy Rick has ever taken early.
0 x

User avatar
VikingLord
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5960
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Location: The Land of the Ice and Snow
x 71

Re: Super bowl

Post by VikingLord » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:33 pm

Wow, lots of love for the great Belichek on here. Not to take too much away from him, because he's been outstanding, but am I the only one who thought Goff looked, well, off? I mean, the guy was like 5 for 12 through the first half and I don't think he completed a pass longer than 5 yards during that stretch. And replays showed he had receivers open. In fact, there was one play in the 3rd or 4th quarter (can't remember which now because I was dozing off due to boredom) where he had a guy wide open in the endzone for like 5 seconds. By the time he saw it and let the ball fly (a lazy floater of a pass BTW), one of the Pat DBs had time to course correct and get back to break it up. There was another play where the Rams had like 2nd and 20 later in the game where a Ram WR was running wide open over the middle about 18 yards downfield. Easy completion and 1st down pickup if Goff took the time to look, but instead he heaved up a prayer to a covered WR.

If I took anything away from last night's Superbowl, it is that the QB position will make or break any team. Goff was completely ineffective throughout most of that game and while it is true that Belichek and the Pats put him under duress a lot, better play from the QB position and I think the outcome of that game would have been much different. I also continue to be amazed at how poor Brady looks when he's under any duress at all. Even hearing footsteps seems to throw him off significantly. But more often than not he's got a clean pocket and time to get rid of the ball accurately, and that is enough to win these sorts of games. I have to give credit to Belichek and the Patriots for their offensive line play. If that weren't so solid, Brady's age and lack of mobility might really start to cost them, but they find a way. And the Rams are a good defensive front four too, so if they can't solve how to beat the Patriots offensive line, it's going to be awfully unlikely any other team will do better.

Like them or loathe them, what the Patriots have managed under the Belichek-Brady era is unprecedented. I have to tip my hat to them, although I admit I am going to really enjoy the season where it finally falls apart.
0 x

User avatar
Bowhunting Viking
Starter
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:39 am
Location: Convoy, Ohio
x 70

Re: Super bowl

Post by Bowhunting Viking » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:05 pm

I agree now matter how California Cool Goff is, he was definitely overwhelmed last night. My future son in law texted man he has the deer in the headlight look.. I corrected him saying a Deer in my single sight pin look.. the bowhunters here will understand... but he definitely looked rattled. But the kid is a kid, and was in huge game and and Belichick was calling a great D game against him. McVay also was def outcoached. BUT I will say.. ole Wade really had a great game plan for Brady. I thought he made Brady look pretty much average until the very last few drives. Loved the way he was disgusiing man and zone coverage pre snap so well that Brady couldn't figure it out. Now THAT I hard to do , fool Brady. Live en or hate em, I gotta admit Bill B is def the best ever. Just my opinion. Some great defensive coaching on display last night.
0 x
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!

YikesVikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 855
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am
x 74

Re: Super bowl

Post by YikesVikes » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:16 pm

This wasn't a defensive master piece at all. Anyone that has seen the Rams play the last 4 games of the season, knows that something has been completely wrong with them. I think Goff has an injury. His throwing has been simply awful the last month. He had a big game aginst San Fran that phoned it in but outside of that he has been average at best and horrible at worst. The injury to Gurley took away his crutch. I was not impressed by NWE simply crowding the line to stop the run and dropping into coverage from time to time.
0 x

User avatar
Bowhunting Viking
Starter
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:39 am
Location: Convoy, Ohio
x 70

Re: Super bowl

Post by Bowhunting Viking » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:21 pm

ERIK the PURPLE wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:12 am
I enjoyed the game. I feel that defense plays a bigger role in the postseason because the refs tend to swallow their whistles and let the players play.
For the majority of the game, it was a one score game so every play mattered. It wasn't a blowout and it wasn't a basketball game (54-51). It was a rough tough championship game. The only thing I didn't appreciate was the constant preaching of the social justice spots. I guess that was part of the NFL's agreement to end the Nation Anthem issue.
Well I will man up and say I agree with you about all the social justice stories, interviews, commentaries and commercials. I myself have friends of all races. For me if ur a good person I dont care if ur 2 ft tall and green. And I believe that alot of things do have to change and improve. But I believe the subject was beaten to death yesterday. There weren't as many stories about players lives off the field etc, there were some, but not as prevelant as usual. Look I live in an area where there really is a mix of different races, and we all grew up together and we just dont really see types of things they happen in other areas of the country. But it just seemed that the NFL and networks just went a little heavy on the topic for my liking.
Just like I never watch the regular network pregame stuff on their channel. I mostly watch NFL network. To me I'm not interested in seeing a bunch of mini concerts being played. I want FOOTBALL stories man. NOW.. if the had a Heavy Metal pregame.. with my Iron Maiden as the headliner, and Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax etc. playing, well I would be in. But that will never happen. And the halftime show is when I walk the dog, hit the can and load up or more food. Haven't watched a halftime show since Aerosmith was on it.. for about a whole 2 mins. Oh well, I will be seeing Maiden live this August 24th , so I dont need music with the SB
I just need the Vikings to be in it for once!!
0 x
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!