Klint Kubiak Hired as QB Coach

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Klint Kubiak Hired as QB Coach

Post by Cliff » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:48 pm

I think it's been mentioned in another thread but I thought I'd give it it's own since it's a pretty big role. Didn't realize he was previous on the Vikings.
1. Previously in Minnesota

Kubiak began his time with the Vikings with Leslie Frazier as the head coach and Bill Musgrave as the offensive coordinator in 2013.

He was retained by Vikings Head Coach Mike Zimmer in 2014 and worked under former Offensive Coordinator Norv Turner.

2. In the college ranks

Kubiak left the Vikings to become the receivers coach at the University of Kansas in 2015.

It marked a return to the college game for Kubiak, who began his coaching career at Texas A&M.

Kubiak was a quality control/offense coach for Mike Sherman from 2010-11 for the Aggies and was a graduate assistant inside receivers coach for Kevin Sumlin in 2012.

While at Texas A&M, Kubiak earned a master’s degree in human resource development.

3. Back to the NFL

After one season at Kansas, Kubiak was able to join his father in working for the Denver Broncos.

As an offensive assistant/quarterbacks coach, Kubiak worked with Vikings QB Trevor Siemian from 2016-17. Siemian made 24 starts, going 13-11 and completing 495 of 835 passes (59.3 percent) for 5,686 yards and 30 touchdowns in those two seasons.

Kubiak also worked with Kyle Sloter in Denver during the 2017 preseason before the Vikings brought the quarterback to Minnesota.
5 Things to Know About Klint Kubiak
0 x

CharVike
Transition Player

Re: Klint Kubiak Hired as QB Coach

Post by CharVike » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:45 am

I like this signing. The big thing is he has worked with Sloter. Sloter is an interesting developmental prospect. Is he ready now? No he will need time but he has the raw tools needed. He will also help Cousins. Will he make him the next Rodgers? Nope. He doesn't have Rodgers skill set. Not many do.
1 x

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:30 am

CharVike wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:45 am
I like this signing. The big thing is he has worked with Sloter. Sloter is an interesting developmental prospect. Is he ready now? No he will need time but he has the raw tools needed. He will also help Cousins. Will he make him the next Rodgers? Nope. He doesn't have Rodgers skill set. Not many do.
I think Sloter should be the #2 this year IMO. I kind of like the idea of drafting a QB and developing him but we kind of already have that in Sloter. That's why in my mock I had us drafting Shurmur's son. Have him as our #3 developmental guy. I dont really care to have a "veteran" like Siemien behind Cousins. Sloter is a play maker and super athletic. IMO, he's going to go out there and make more plays than a guy like Trevor Siemien would. So why bother having a low end back up there.

What I think the Vikings should really do (which they wont I'm sure), is rest Cousins a little more in the preseason and let Sloter run with the starters. So in turn this offseason, have Cousins, sign a veteran like Siemien for minimal money, have Sloter and then draft someone like Shurmur's kid. If Sloter shows he can play well with the starters, cut that veteran during the preseason. If he doesnt play well (which I dont envision), keep your vet or even cut him still and let Shurmur/Sloter battle it out for #2/#3 duties. I would love to see them do that because then we will know (somewhat) if Sloter is a capable backup/future QB or not. There is really no need to play Cousins a ton in the preseason. Too much risk. Let him play in the dress rehearsal game (3rd game), maybe a series or two max total in the other games. Give Sloter a shot to see what he has. Sometimes I wish Spielman and Zimmer could read some of the ideas guys have on here because I'm afraid that is something they wont consider or even think about when the time comes. :lol: Not necessarily a knock on them, because I'm not sure if any GM or coach would consider that if they were here. I just think it's a good idea.
0 x

S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:46 pm

Yeah I'd like to see Sloter play against some better talent. Far too often these no name QBs come into preseason games against other no names, look great, and get fans excited. Happens here with guys like Heinicke or Chad Kelly in Denver...

In actuality these Cinderella stories very rarely end up working out. Putting Sloter against better talent, and surrounded by better talent, is a good idea. He's exciting to watch but seems very raw to me. I don't think he should take Cousins snaps as the CBA limits the amount of snaps players get in the off-season already and Cousins will need every one of those to learn a new offense. But splitting some 2nd string reps is okay with me.
0 x

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:29 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:30 am
CharVike wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:45 am
I think Sloter should be the #2 this year IMO. I kind of like the idea of drafting a QB and developing him but we kind of already have that in Sloter. That's why in my mock I had us drafting Shurmur's son. Have him as our #3 developmental guy. I dont really care to have a "veteran" like Siemien behind Cousins. Sloter is a play maker and super athletic. IMO, he's going to go out there and make more plays than a guy like Trevor Siemien would. So why bother having a low end back up there.

What I think the Vikings should really do (which they wont I'm sure), is rest Cousins a little more in the preseason and let Sloter run with the starters. So in turn this offseason, have Cousins, sign a veteran like Siemien for minimal money, have Sloter and then draft someone like Shurmur's kid. If Sloter shows he can play well with the starters, cut that veteran during the preseason. If he doesnt play well (which I dont envision), keep your vet or even cut him still and let Shurmur/Sloter battle it out for #2/#3 duties. I would love to see them do that because then we will know (somewhat) if Sloter is a capable backup/future QB or not. There is really no need to play Cousins a ton in the preseason. Too much risk. Let him play in the dress rehearsal game (3rd game), maybe a series or two max total in the other games. Give Sloter a shot to see what he has. Sometimes I wish Spielman and Zimmer could read some of the ideas guys have on here because I'm afraid that is something they wont consider or even think about when the time comes. :lol: Not necessarily a knock on them, because I'm not sure if any GM or coach would consider that if they were here. I just think it's a good idea.
The only reason to have a veteran behind Cousins is in case he gets hurt. Signing Keenum was probably the only reason they vikings went 13-3 (meaning had we had any other backup QB out there, I doubt we end up that good, not that Keenum was that good of a QB).
With that said, there aren't many good backup QB options available like Keenum two years ago. I would be OK with Sloter though.
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:50 pm

PurpleMustReign wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:29 pm
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:30 am

The only reason to have a veteran behind Cousins is in case he gets hurt. Signing Keenum was probably the only reason they vikings went 13-3 (meaning had we had any other backup QB out there, I doubt we end up that good, not that Keenum was that good of a QB).
With that said, there aren't many good backup QB options available like Keenum two years ago. I would be OK with Sloter though.
Agreed. I mean I've said this before on here but I dont really believe in "good" backups. If they were good, they'd probably be a starter. And not just for a year. There are guys that can come in and manage a game, or there are guys that will flat out suck. Keenum was a manager in the right system. Foles was a manager in the right system. Brett Hundley...sucks. Those are the two kinds of backup QBs in this league. I truly dont think Nick Foles is a good QB at all. He's literally almost identical to Keenum. They have this weird, "in the clutch" thing about them where they can perform well in crunch time, but overall, kind of suck.

Here is the thing with Keenum and Foles and even a guy like Ryan Fitzpatrick. When they took the field for Wentz, Bradford and Winston, they knew that when those guys were healthy, they themselves were going back to the bench. So they go out there slinging with nothing to lose. If you crap the bed, you go to the bench (where you were going anyways), if you play well, you can become a starter and land a big contract. So in the end, what do they have to lose? Absolutely nothing. Look when Keenum went into Denver this year as the starter? Crapped the bed. Foles was pathetic early in the season. Fitz is announced the starter when Winston gets back and he craps the bed and again loses his job. All 3 are wildly inconsistent QBs that are usually backups and when they get their shot, they play like they have nothing to lose. The question is, when they get their shots, will they become the next Kurt Warner type QB. Actually start for a long time, not just a 1 year wonder and be successful. Keenum has already proved that wont happen with him. It wont happen with Fitz. And we will find out this year (IMO), it wont happen with Foles.

I guess look at it this way, is there a single "backup" QB out there in FA this year that you would "trust" more than Kyle Sloter?? Or even better, is there a single backup QB out there currently on an NFL team or free agent that you would want backing up Cousins? Granted, we dont know a ton about Sloter, but we do know he is athletic, a play maker and has fairly solid accuracy from what we have seen. The kid loves the game. I think he would play like a guy like Keenum or Foles. Like he has nothing to lose. To get his shot at being a starter. The question is, could he be a long term starter? Who knows. Just my take
0 x

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:26 pm

Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:50 pm
PurpleMustReign wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:29 pm

Agreed. I mean I've said this before on here but I dont really believe in "good" backups. If they were good, they'd probably be a starter. And not just for a year. There are guys that can come in and manage a game, or there are guys that will flat out suck. Keenum was a manager in the right system. Foles was a manager in the right system. Brett Hundley...sucks. Those are the two kinds of backup QBs in this league. I truly dont think Nick Foles is a good QB at all. He's literally almost identical to Keenum. They have this weird, "in the clutch" thing about them where they can perform well in crunch time, but overall, kind of suck.

Here is the thing with Keenum and Foles and even a guy like Ryan Fitzpatrick. When they took the field for Wentz, Bradford and Winston, they knew that when those guys were healthy, they themselves were going back to the bench. So they go out there slinging with nothing to lose. If you crap the bed, you go to the bench (where you were going anyways), if you play well, you can become a starter and land a big contract. So in the end, what do they have to lose? Absolutely nothing. Look when Keenum went into Denver this year as the starter? Crapped the bed. Foles was pathetic early in the season. Fitz is announced the starter when Winston gets back and he craps the bed and again loses his job. All 3 are wildly inconsistent QBs that are usually backups and when they get their shot, they play like they have nothing to lose. The question is, when they get their shots, will they become the next Kurt Warner type QB. Actually start for a long time, not just a 1 year wonder and be successful. Keenum has already proved that wont happen with him. It wont happen with Fitz. And we will find out this year (IMO), it wont happen with Foles.

I guess look at it this way, is there a single "backup" QB out there in FA this year that you would "trust" more than Kyle Sloter?? Or even better, is there a single backup QB out there currently on an NFL team or free agent that you would want backing up Cousins? Granted, we dont know a ton about Sloter, but we do know he is athletic, a play maker and has fairly solid accuracy from what we have seen. The kid loves the game. I think he would play like a guy like Keenum or Foles. Like he has nothing to lose. To get his shot at being a starter. The question is, could he be a long term starter? Who knows. Just my take
If Cousins goes down, do you trust Sloter to lead us to a similar record? It's a good question. I guess it depends on who is available.
Do you know of any veterans who could be signed?
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018

Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:59 pm

If Cousins goes down, do you trust Sloter to lead us to a similar record? It's a good question. I guess it depends on who is available. Do you know of any veterans who could be signed?
I trust Sloter to lead the Vikings to the couch during the playoffs just as good as Cousins.
1 x

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:52 pm

Cliff wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:59 pm
If Cousins goes down, do you trust Sloter to lead us to a similar record? It's a good question. I guess it depends on who is available. Do you know of any veterans who could be signed?
I trust Sloter to lead the Vikings to the couch during the playoffs just as good as Cousins.
LOL. So your answer is yes?
0 x