My Plan to Fix the Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: My Plan to Fix the Vikings

Post by vikeinmontana »

Decent post overall but man I hate it when fans say players are "hurt" or faking injuries. It's just so disrespectful and there is no possible way a fan could know this to be true. Unless you're in the locker room claiming a guy is faking injuries is pretty weak in my opinion.

From my experience, almost every guy I encountered was for more likely to try playing when he clearly shouldn't be than guys who are capable of being out there but prefer to fake an injury just because.
i'm ready for a beer.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

vikeinmontana wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:13 am Decent post overall but man I hate it when fans say players are "hurt" or faking injuries. It's just so disrespectful and there is no possible way a fan could know this to be true. Unless you're in the locker room claiming a guy is faking injuries is pretty weak in my opinion.

From my experience, almost every guy I encountered was for more likely to try playing when he clearly shouldn't be than guys who are capable of being out there but prefer to fake an injury just because.
Talk to Zimmer. He's the one that hinted at it. He's the one that called Rhodes out on it. Even if he isn't, it makes him injury prone.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

S197 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:42 am
PacificNorseWest wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:08 am I brought up the potential of cutting Rudolph yesterday too. Not sure how they feel about Conklin going foward, but there's a couple TE's in this draft they could set their eyes on. After OL in the 1st, I think they might go with a pass rusher in round 2, but if Hockenson from Iowa is still on the board, they might just need to do go and get him.
I don't think they're sold on Conklin, rumor is they were working a trade with the Rams for Higbee.
I think that was before the draft. Offered a 7th.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

YikesVikes wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:16 am
vikeinmontana wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:13 am Decent post overall but man I hate it when fans say players are "hurt" or faking injuries. It's just so disrespectful and there is no possible way a fan could know this to be true. Unless you're in the locker room claiming a guy is faking injuries is pretty weak in my opinion.

Talk to Zimmer. He's the one that hinted at it. He's the one that called Rhodes out on it. Even if he isn't, it makes him injury prone.
Ok. I'll talk to Zimmer. :lol:

I guess if I read somewhere that the coaches or his teammates have stated he's faking injuries I'll give it merit. I have never heard anyone suggest this.

I guess I don't have a problem with "injury prone" as some guys do seem to get hurt more than others. But injuries are fluky. And in the nfl, with so many guys getting hurt it's hard for me to single out one guy and say he's more likely to get hurt than another. But I suppose I'd much rather read that opinion than just suggesting a proffessional athlete is faking an injury. For what?
i'm ready for a beer.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:08 am I brought up the potential of cutting Rudolph yesterday too. Not sure how they feel about Conklin going foward, but there's a couple TE's in this draft they could set their eyes on. After OL in the 1st, I think they might go with a pass rusher in round 2, but if Hockenson from Iowa is still on the board, they might just need to do go and get him.
I don't think they're sold on Conklin, rumor is they were working a trade with the Rams for Higbee.
Thats odd. Conk rarely played, but when he did, he was a good blocker. He was rarely even asked to catch a ball (much like Kyle, wonder why the Vikes have such a problem getting their TE's the ball). He did have the drop everyone saw last week, but he followed that up for a really nice catch (for a first down I think).

But a TE should be drafted this year. We should trade Kyle.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

YikesVikes wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:40 pm
Keeping Reiff would be a mistake. Too much money and too little production.
Some of Reiff's problems this year was he was dealing with a foot injury.
Also did you ever wonder if it would help the left side if Reiff had someone decent playing beside him. Compton absolutely sucks!
Add to the fact that Morgan is a good blocker and missed multiple games this year.

Remmers sucked this year at RG, but he is a decent RT. Last year they tried him at guard and he sucked. So what did we do move him to RG. I would like to know who owns that move??

I wouldn't be opposed to moving Elflien to guard and Jones to center if we keep him.
I liked O'Neil playing RT. Easton is a big question mark if he will even be back.
The biggest item we need is a great offensive Line coach to get this line playing together and improving some solid backups.

It irritates me we had 2 offensive linemen on our practice squad and both are now starting on other teams and not looking bad. Good ole Slick Rick thank you. :whistle:
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

halfgiz wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:43 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:40 pm
Keeping Reiff would be a mistake. Too much money and too little production.
Also did you ever wonder if it would help the left side if Reiff had someone decent playing beside him. Compton absolutely sucks!
Add to the fact that Morgan is a good blocker and missed multiple games this year.

Remmers sucked this year at RG, but he is a decent RT. Last year they tried him at guard and he sucked. So what did we do move him to RG. I would like to know who owns that move??

I wouldn't be opposed to moving Elflien to guard and Jones to center if we keep him.
I liked O'Neil playing RT. Easton is a big question mark if he will even be back.
The biggest item we need is a great offensive Line coach to get this line playing together and improving some solid backups.

It irritates me we had 2 offensive linemen on our practice squad and both are now starting on other teams and not looking bad. Good ole Slick Rick thank you. :whistle:
Idk... I agree Morgan is a good blocker, but we shouldn't have to rely so. Much on a TE making a block. The OL should be able to handle it for the most part... Right?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:28 pm
halfgiz wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:43 pm

Idk... I agree Morgan is a good blocker, but we shouldn't have to rely so. Much on a TE making a block. The OL should be able to handle it for the most part... Right?
If you have good pass blocking lineman, aren't going up against the Macks of the world, and aren't doing a 5 or 7 step drop...yes.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

What is it about tight ends from Iowa? There have been so many good ones, from Dallas Clark to Scott Chandler to Tony Moeaki to George Kittle, who was a monster this year with more than 1,300 yards.

Hockenson is going to be a good one, I think, as is Noah Fant. I'd take either of them, although Fant is projected as a first-rounder, and I wouldn't want to be Rick Spielman if he doesn't take an O-lineman in the first. Plus, Hockenson can really block, and IMO has just as much game as Fant, if not quite as much athleticism. There's a lot of George Kittle in Hockenson.

I like it. Good pick, PNW!
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

best case OL scenario

It would be tough, but the Offensive line would definitely be upgraded with 1 of the 2 top free agent guards. Problem with this is, even with several restructures/cuts, it would definitely take away from a signing at another position such as Barr or Sheldon Richardson. I would be intrigued with potentially trading remmers (if there is any market for him), drafting another guard and bringing Easton back. We would also probably resign hill as a depth replacement or seeing what Aviante Collins can do coming back off injury.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Not sure why people was so in love with eadtom. He was awful too.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

YikesVikes wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:17 am

I think that was before the draft. Offered a 7th.
Was it? It's all blurring together.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I think they need to shot gun interior OL in the draft. add at least two with at least one in the first two days. I'm sure that is oversimplifying it, but they need to add talent that is cap friendly. I think it is far more important that they get the coaching hires right, specifically OC and OL Coach.

This is where I think Zimmer needs to step up his game. OL has been his albatross for 5 years. He needs to get that figured out in a way that allows him to be competitive in the NFL. The current approach is not working.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

OK, I'm sure most of you have seen this, but ... THIS is what we need on the interior of the O-line.

WATCH THIS!

That's not a defensive back that Quenton Nelson is destroying. It's Jadaveon Freaking Clowney!

This is why the Colts selected a GUARD as the No. 6 overall pick and gave him $24 million. How I wish we could find one of these.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I read this some more. I think Remmers and Sandejo are probably gone.

If we dump Reiff and Remmers we free up money, but then our starting OL going into 2019 looks like this:

LT: O'Neil: Unproven at LT
LG: Easton: Assuming he is fully recovered
Elflein: Solid
RG: ????
RT: ????

I do not like going into the open market with basically only one established OL. I'd feel much better having Reiff at LT and Oneil at RT and only having the big question at RG.

I'm guessing the EG is a likely cap hit. Unless he is willing to restructure. Rudolph could be in the same camp. They are both older so they might be amicable to it. Who knows?

I think cutting Reiff is a mistake. he showed us 2017 he can be solid at RT. He was injured this year. I'd rather see him at LT and keep Oneil at RT so he can continue to develop. Then focus on interior OL in the draft and FA. I'm not sold on losing Barr. I think he is better than we give him credit for.

Coaching hire will be HUGE.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi