Vikes need to go all in on 2019 draft.

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Vikes need to go all in on 2019 draft.

Post by PurpleMustReign »

StumpHunter wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:09 pm
PurpleMustReign wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:49 pm
I had that same thought on Rhodes. He's expensive and had a poor year, and he seems to get hurt a bit... Alexander, Waynes, and Hughes all looked very good.
With that said, I wouldn't trade him yet.
Rhodes had a great year.
OK.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I wouldn't say Rhodes had a poor year, but he from what we're used to, he didn't play to that level. Definitely wouldn't say he had a great year either. I'm not sure I'd be ready to close the chapter on Rhodes...probably not, but they Vikings definitely do have quality depth at that position. Holton Hill has impressed as well.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

It will be helpful to get Easton back next year. That said, I think our goal should be to make our line good enough that Easton is our first backup. I agree that we need to let Remmers go. I am fine with Reiff, Elflein, and O’Neil, but would like to see us acquire two, above-average guards thru the draft or free agency.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

I think Rhodes’ year was just good enough to keep his trade value relatively high.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:23 pm I really dont care what we give up to do so but we need to walk away with 2 1st rounders and a late 2nd round guy. Give up next years draft capital.
You don't care what the Vikings need to give up to walk away with 2 1st rounders and a late 2nd round guy?

First, the draft is not for immediate fixes, no matter how high the picks are. Do immediate starters emerge from drafts? Sure. Is it a sound strategy to expect immediate starters to emerge from drafts? I don't think so.

Second, who is doing the drafting? Do you believe in Spielman and Zimmer's abilities in this area? These are the guys who drafted Treadwell in the 1st, for example. Spielman moved up to grab Patterson as you are advocating. If you trust the braintrust (assuming they are the braintrust at the time this draft rolls around), then sure, maybe moving up makes sense, provided the following, third point is true...

And that third point is, who is available? This is somewhat related to the first point, but just moving up for the sake of moving up doesn't make sense unless there are players worth that draft capital you're spending to make the move. And, as the second point illustrates, that value trade isn't always clear at best, and could be completely speculative at worst. Only in hindsight is it obvious what moves made sense and what didn't, but unless someone has a crystal ball, nobody in the Vikings draft war room is going to know for sure if a given move is the best one they could make.

Honestly, a better set of moves to make to plug immediate holes is to find the right free agents in the offseason or by trade, assuming there is someone the Vikings have that some other team wants bad enough. As far as this year's upcoming draft is concerned, it's deep defensively, but not so great offensively. Of course, the positions that the Vikings have immediate needs at (those being offensive line), are some of the slimmest pickings. Just the luck of the draw, unfortunately, but if Spielman and Zimmer are hoping to find another O'Neill in this year's draft, they might be hard-pressed to do so no matter what they end up trading away. And they could easily find another Khalil if they did, so I don't think that's a great strategy.

This is going to be a really challenging offseason no matter who is doing the drafting and trading for the Vikings.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Right now a miss on Cousins and drafting of Lamar Jackson would be nice.
At 18, I don't think there's a OL/OG worth taking. So a trade down is possible? DL is crazy talented this year in the draft.
Next year will be QB heavy.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:42 pm
Gut Remmers. We aren't using him and he is awful.
I agree Remmers has been horrible and we need to move on... but as a life long bowhunter who has gutted 100s of animals, I think this is a bit harsh :lol:
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:35 am
YikesVikes wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:42 pm
Gut Remmers. We aren't using him and he is awful.
I agree Remmers has been horrible and we need to move on... but as a life long bowhunter who has gutted 100s of animals, I think this is a bit harsh :lol:
He should have been gutted and mounted a week 3
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

VikingLord wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:36 pm
You don't care what the Vikings need to give up to walk away with 2 1st rounders and a late 2nd round guy?

First, the draft is not for immediate fixes, no matter how high the picks are. Do immediate starters emerge from drafts? Sure. Is it a sound strategy to expect immediate starters to emerge from drafts? I don't think so.
Says who? We are looking for players to add to our team of vets that can make splash plays. Saint's drafted a RT that has been a stud for them since. There are plenty of offensive linemen that come in and play at a high level. Anyone we take in the 1st is better than most of the guys we have on this line. Pat in the 3rd played at a high level his rookie season.
VikingLord wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:36 pm Second, who is doing the drafting? Do you believe in Spielman and Zimmer's abilities in this area? These are the guys who drafted Treadwell in the 1st, for example. Spielman moved up to grab Patterson as you are advocating. If you trust the braintrust (assuming they are the braintrust at the time this draft rolls around), then sure, maybe moving up makes sense, provided the following, third point is true...
Touche'
VikingLord wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:36 pm And that third point is, who is available? This is somewhat related to the first point, but just moving up for the sake of moving up doesn't make sense unless there are players worth that draft capital you're spending to make the move. And, as the second point illustrates, that value trade isn't always clear at best, and could be completely speculative at worst. Only in hindsight is it obvious what moves made sense and what didn't, but unless someone has a crystal ball, nobody in the Vikings draft war room is going to know for sure if a given move is the best one they could make.
Yes there are players in most drafts that a move up is worth it for. We moved up last season for a damn kicker. We need 2 high-quality olinemen. This draft has bunch that should be available in the mid to late 1st. I can throughout some names too. Trading Rhodes for a late first early 2nd would be worth it to me. We can still add a long guy to learn with the "DB guru" in the 5th or so. Trading our mid 2nd with a 3rd to move into the end of the first. Would give us 3 picks at 18- 34 or so. Moving that 18th pick up to get a crack at the top guard would be amazing.

I disagree that this draft is light on olinemen.