Vikes need to go all in on 2019 draft.

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

YikesVikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 679
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am

Vikes need to go all in on 2019 draft.

Post by YikesVikes » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:23 pm

The Vikes need to trade up in the 2019 draft and get some impact players. I really dont care what we give up to do so but we need to walk away with 2 1st rounders and a late 2nd round guy. Give up next years draft capital. I don't care but all these years of hoarding 5th and 6th rounders have left us where we are. My perfect draft would be a top-flight guard in the first and a stellar LB.

To think that we would have had Jalylon Smith instead of Treadwell if Zimmer got his way.
0 x

User avatar
vikeinmontana
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2868
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:23 pm

Re: Vikes need to go all in on 2019 draft.

Post by vikeinmontana » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:29 pm

All I really want is for our front office to realize how important the offensive line is. They’re the most important position on the field. I don’t want to appear to make excuses for cousins. He was bad and had been noticibly bad the last couple months. But just once I’d like to a our qb, ANY qb behind a dominant offensive line. It would make a huge difference.

Right now our offense doesn’t have a shot. They were simply dominated tonight. Bears defense was having the time of their lives.
2 x
i'm ready for a beer.

User avatar
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2698
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:10 am
Location: Seattle, Wa

Re: Vikes need to go all in on 2019 draft.

Post by PacificNorseWest » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:39 pm

Just grab an offensive lineman in round 1 and go from there. No need to get completely irrational (giving up next year's draft capital is irrational and would be a huge mistake), cause they're still going to need to draft positions that isn't Oline. They're going to need another edge rusher, LB is going to be a big need with the assumption they don't retain Barr and the fact that Gedeon has been a weakness and it's apparent they need another impact playmaker on offense, most likely a TE or WR. It can't all be fixed in the draft either.
0 x

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11547
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: Vikes need to go all in on 2019 draft.

Post by S197 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:40 pm

For those curious, we will have the #18 pick in the draft.
0 x

VikeFanInEagleLand
Backup
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:31 am

Re: Vikes need to go all in on 2019 draft.

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:46 pm

vikeinmontana wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:29 pm
All I really want is for our front office to realize how important the offensive line is. They’re the most important position on the field. I don’t want to appear to make excuses for cousins. He was bad and had been noticibly bad the last couple months. But just once I’d like to a our qb, ANY qb behind a dominant offensive line. It would make a huge difference.

Right now our offense doesn’t have a shot. They were simply dominated tonight. Bears defense was having the time of their lives.
I've been pretty critical of Cousins but I won't say that he was bad. I just thing he is un-impactful.
0 x

User avatar
vikeinmontana
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2868
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:23 pm

Re: Vikes need to go all in on 2019 draft.

Post by vikeinmontana » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:46 pm

S197 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:40 pm
For those curious, we will have the #18 pick in the draft.
Would love us to trade and get 2 first-rounders.
0 x
i'm ready for a beer.

User avatar
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2698
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:10 am
Location: Seattle, Wa

Re: Vikes need to go all in on 2019 draft.

Post by PacificNorseWest » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:53 pm

Do they really need two 1st rounders though? This draft is heavy on Dline/pass rushers, which is going to be a need for the Vikings. Get the best Olineman you can with the 1st pick and then grab Dline in the 2nd round. You should get plenty of value without having to pay 1st round money to 2 prospects instead of just 1. Drafting for value later in drafts is all the more important when you have to pay your QB $84 fully guaranteed. They can't rely on big ticket FA's and they need to find value late in drafts.
0 x

User avatar
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8512
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm

Re: Vikes need to go all in on 2019 draft.

Post by PurpleKoolaid » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:58 pm

Spielman doesnt know how to judge the talent of a WR, QB, or Oline. He fails just about every time in the draft or FA (which I personally hope we are more active). When he has more draft picks he can stumble on Diggs, Thielen, etc, but he certainly didnt see their talent, or he would have been fired for waiting so long to pick them. I wish to god the Wilfs would fire Spielman and hire another GM by Feb. :wallbang:
0 x

User avatar
vikeinmontana
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2868
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:23 pm

Re: Vikes need to go all in on 2019 draft.

Post by vikeinmontana » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:58 pm

PacificNorseWest wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:53 pm
Do they really need two 1st rounders though? This draft is heavy on Dline/pass rushers, which is going to be a need for the Vikings. Get the best Olineman you can with the 1st pick and then grab Dline in the 2nd round. You should get plenty of value without having to pay 1st round money to 2 prospects instead of just 1. Drafting for value later in drafts is all the more important when you have to pay your QB $84 fully guaranteed. They can't rely on big ticket FA's and they need to find value late in drafts.
Great point.

Mine was a simplistic view. I just want to see us draft a couple O-linemen and bring in 1-2 via free agency.

If we shore up the line to an elite level or at the very least an above-average level, and cousins still struggles, I’ll completely agree he’s not the guy.

I just have a hard time judging any qb we might have, or running back either for that matter, behind this line. It has to be the worst in the league again.
0 x
i'm ready for a beer.

MegatronFozzy
Waterboy
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:52 pm

Re: Vikes need to go all in on 2019 draft.

Post by MegatronFozzy » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:03 pm

I would absolutely hate if we traded early (notably 1st round) 2020 NFL Draft assets for this year’s draft.

We are ultimately still uncertain about Cousins’ future here. Assuming “if” we struggle mightily next season, MIN can well in line be among the teams that can land one of the 3 elite QB prospects coming that year. (Tua/Fromm/Herbert).
0 x

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11547
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: Vikes need to go all in on 2019 draft.

Post by S197 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:16 pm

vikeinmontana wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:46 pm
S197 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:40 pm
For those curious, we will have the #18 pick in the draft.
Would love us to trade and get 2 first-rounders.
I think it would be tough. Unless you're willing to give up Hunter or Diggs, I don't know that anyone else is worth a 1st. Maybe Smith.
0 x

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18911
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN

Re: Vikes need to go all in on 2019 draft.

Post by PurpleMustReign » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:34 pm

S197 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:16 pm
vikeinmontana wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:46 pm


Would love us to trade and get 2 first-rounders.
I think it would be tough. Unless you're willing to give up Hunter or Diggs, I don't know that anyone else is worth a 1st. Maybe Smith.
Cousins :whistle:
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018

YikesVikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 679
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am

Re: Vikes need to go all in on 2019 draft.

Post by YikesVikes » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:42 pm

2019 is the last shot for this team/ defense if we don't realize it. We need to stop putting so much value in these 4-7 round picks. Yes we hit on a few guys but so has everyone else. It's not strange for that to happen but right now this defense is in it's prime, the offense is in it's prime and we need to add several impactful pieces, waiting another year and losing more pieces simply puts us at best at the same spot.

Next season we lose Mack and Waynes or we have to pay them big money.


I am all for trading Rhodes to anyone that would give up a high 2nd or late 1st.
Let Barr. His replacement will be Wilson or the other talented guy we have in downs.
Gut Remmers. We aren't using him and he is awful.
0 x

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18911
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN

Re: Vikes need to go all in on 2019 draft.

Post by PurpleMustReign » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:49 pm

YikesVikes wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:42 pm
2019 is the last shot for this team/ defense if we don't realize it. We need to stop putting so much value in these 4-7 round picks. Yes we hit on a few guys but so has everyone else. It's not strange for that to happen but right now this defense is in it's prime, the offense is in it's prime and we need to add several impactful pieces, waiting another year and losing more pieces simply puts us at best at the same spot.

Next season we lose Mack and Waynes or we have to pay them big money.


I am all for trading Rhodes to anyone that would give up a high 2nd or late 1st.
Let Barr. His replacement will be Wilson or the other talented guy we have in downs.
Gut Remmers. We aren't using him and he is awful.
I had that same thought on Rhodes. He's expensive and had a poor year, and he seems to get hurt a bit... Alexander, Waynes, and Hughes all looked very good.
With that said, I wouldn't trade him yet.
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018

StumpHunter
Veteran
Posts: 262
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am

Re: Vikes need to go all in on 2019 draft.

Post by StumpHunter » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:09 pm

PurpleMustReign wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:49 pm
YikesVikes wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:42 pm
2019 is the last shot for this team/ defense if we don't realize it. We need to stop putting so much value in these 4-7 round picks. Yes we hit on a few guys but so has everyone else. It's not strange for that to happen but right now this defense is in it's prime, the offense is in it's prime and we need to add several impactful pieces, waiting another year and losing more pieces simply puts us at best at the same spot.

Next season we lose Mack and Waynes or we have to pay them big money.


I am all for trading Rhodes to anyone that would give up a high 2nd or late 1st.
Let Barr. His replacement will be Wilson or the other talented guy we have in downs.
Gut Remmers. We aren't using him and he is awful.
I had that same thought on Rhodes. He's expensive and had a poor year, and he seems to get hurt a bit... Alexander, Waynes, and Hughes all looked very good.
With that said, I wouldn't trade him yet.
Rhodes had a great year.
0 x