Will this Vikings team break our hearts like so many other before them?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Will this Vikings team break our hearts like so many other before them?

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

mansquatch wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:04 am My answer is "probably not".

Here is my take. They should win on Sunday vs a listless Lions team. If they lose that game our hearts are not broken, we are just pissed off. (And rightly so)

The Bears game is going to go one of four ways:

1.) Bears play all their starters and we beat them - statement win at the end of the season (this is my ideal outcome)
2.) Bears rest their starters and we beat them - glad we win, but not the kind you can really get excited about
3.) Bears play all in and we lose - again we are annoyed, not as much as losing to Lions, but annoyed. Talent wasted and all of that
4.) Bears rest their starters and we lose - This would be BAD

So let's say for fun, that we beat the Lions and we beat an all in Bears team in week 17. At that point we are heading into the playoffs on a 3 game winning streak and we are feeling good about ourselves. Still, we are going to draw Dallas, Chicago, or LA on the road, most likely as a 6 seed. Any of the three is tough draw for a Vikings team that really hasn't played all together all sesaon outside of the Miami game. If we can get it together and win this this game, then it gets interesting.

From there we likely tee off against the Saints unless we are the #5 side, then we get whomever of the above 3 was the #2 seed. If it is the Saints (and it likely will be) then we face a team on the road that we should have beaten at home in a grudge rematch from last January and 2009. Losing this game would after all the build up to get there would be crappy, but you are losing the to the #1 seed. It would suck, but not that bad.

If they win that game, then we go to the NFCCG and play whomever is left. At this point we are probably the scariest team in the playoffs and the dream is real. If we lose this, then I'd be a bit upset. All the momentum you could ask for at the right time and they blow it. UGH. Then again, that is the Vikings way... After 25 years of watching this team, I've always been disappointed when they play in the NFCCG, I've get well established callouses at this point... Still it would suck to go into this game what that much excitement and that many improbably victories to just lay an egg. .

If they win that and lose the SB, then the heartbreak would be real.

So for me, the real pain isn't going to start until at a minimum the divisional round. Before then I'm not really bought in. If they go to the big game then all bets are off.
Agreed. You've been a Vikings fan about as long as I have. Me personally, I would love to see them in a SB win or lose. Old timers wont agree here but I have never seen it before. Of course I want us to WIN one but if we can GET there as a 6 seed, I'm content. I know most will disagree but thats just me. Its so hard to tell how this team will do to be honest. We lost to the 3 best teams in the NFC by a total of 22 points. That's actually very low. No doubt in my mind we can beat any one of those teams. It's more so, I dont think we can beat ALL of them in one shot.

My heartbreak.....would easily be another NFC championship loss. I was born in '89. Been a fan since I was in first grade. I've seen them in 4 NFC championships. 2 blowouts and 2 heart breakers. I'm so sick of seeing them not win that game. This is part of the reason I would be content losing in the SB. As long as we can get past that curse of a game.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StpViking
Starter

Post by StpViking »

As a 30+ year Vikings fan, I already bought my bottle of everclear and bubble wrap for my TV remote.

I made a prediction early in the year that this looks like a 1 and done playoff team, and I am sticking with that prediction. I really hope I get the eat crow though.
White 8DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee! Waz Up!
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:54 pm

Here is my take. They should win on Sunday vs a listless Lions team. If they lose that game our hearts are not broken, we are just pissed off. (And rightly so)

1.) Bears play all their starters and we beat them - statement win at the end of the season (this is my ideal outcome)
2.) Bears rest their starters and we beat them - glad we win, but not the kind you can really get excited about
3.) Bears play all in and we lose - again we are annoyed, not as much as losing to Lions, but annoyed. Talent wasted and all of that

So let's say for fun, that we beat the Lions and we beat an all in Bears team in week 17. At that point we are heading into the playoffs on a 3 game winning streak and we are feeling good about ourselves. Still, we are going to draw Dallas, Chicago, or LA on the road, most likely as a 6 seed. Any of the three is tough draw for a Vikings team that really hasn't played all together all sesaon outside of the Miami game. If we can get it together and win this this game, then it gets interesting.

From there we likely tee off against the Saints unless we are the #5 side, then we get whomever of the above 3 was the #2 seed. If it is the Saints (and it likely will be) then we face a team on the road that we should have beaten at home in a grudge rematch from last January and 2009. Losing this game would after all the build up to get there would be crappy, but you are losing the to the #1 seed. It would suck, but not that bad.

If they win that game, then we go to the NFCCG and play whomever is left. At this point we are probably the scariest team in the playoffs and the dream is real. If we lose this, then I'd be a bit upset. All the momentum you could ask for at the right time and they blow it. UGH. Then again, that is the Vikings way... After 25 years of watching this team, I've always been disappointed when they play in the NFCCG, I've get well established callouses at this point... Still it would suck to go into this game what that much excitement and that many improbably victories to just lay an egg. .

So for me, the real pain isn't going to start until at a minimum the divisional round. Before then I'm not really bought in. If they go to the big game then all bets are off.
Agreed. You've been a Vikings fan about as long as I have. Me personally, I would love to see them in a SB win or lose. Old timers wont agree here but I have never seen it before. Of course I want us to WIN one but if we can GET there as a 6 seed, I'm content. I know most will disagree but thats just me. Its so hard to tell how this team will do to be honest. We lost to the 3 best teams in the NFC by a total of 22 points. That's actually very low. No doubt in my mind we can beat any one of those teams. It's more so, I dont think we can beat ALL of them in one shot.

My heartbreak.....would easily be another NFC championship loss. I was born in '89. Been a fan since I was in first grade. I've seen them in 4 NFC championships. 2 blowouts and 2 heart breakers. I'm so sick of seeing them not win that game. This is part of the reason I would be content losing in the SB. As long as we can get past that curse of a game.
We're around the same age, so same Vikings experience, but I'd have to think that if the Vikings made it to the Super Bowl, my expectations would undoubtedly need to be revised. I see what you're saying, but I just know that when/if they finally do make it to the Super Bowl, that two weeks until the game is played will be enough time for me not to be satisfied with just the appearance and would be very disappointed if they lost.
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:41 pm A heart can be broken only if there is a reasonable expectation of success. For example, while all 4 Superbowl losses were tough to take, the Vikings were favored in only 2 of them.

1987 was tough, but mostly because the Vikings steamrolled the 2 best teams in the NFL that year prior to the conference championship game against the Redskins. Had they even just eked out those prior 2 wins, it would have been much easier to take the result against the Redskins.

1998 was just crap. No way around that one. While others who post here would rightly point out that the 14-2 Falcons were no paper tiger, I bet that version of the Vikings beats them 90 times out of 100 if they played the games in the Metrodome that year. Anderson misses his only kick of the entire season. In that game. Yeah, that was a heartbreaker.

2001 was more of a surprise. Vikes benefited when the Rams got knocked out in the first round. That was kind of a fluke, but they rode it until they were exposed by the Giants. Not a heartbreaker, unless as a fan your heart is broken watching pro athletes more or less quit and stop fighting in the middle of a huge game.

2009 was also just crap. That wasn't a great Vikings team, but they had some really great players who managed to screw up in heretofore unseemly great ways at the worst possible great times. If there was a Vikings team that had the moxie to win a Superbowl, though, I think it was that one. But they came to the game with a loaded six shooter in their pocket and somehow managed to empty the cartridge into their own feet.

Last year's team? Naw, not a heartbreaker, at least not for me. That team way overachieved with a journeyman 3rd string QB for most of the year. They were fun to watch though, and the memory from that playoff game against the Saints was AMAZING. Truly a gift. I still get emotional watching replays of it. But watching them get dismantled at the hands of the Eagles, well, it wasn't a huge surprise coming off that big win. The cracks were already showing in the defense at that point, and Nick Foles played one of the best games I've seen by any QB in recent memory. And he followed it up in the Superbowl with another outstanding performance, so it wasn't just a one-off against the Vikings. I don't think the Vikings gave up in that game, either. Foles and the Eagles were just that much better that day.

This year's team? Man, I don't expect much from them. They've been shaky all year and continue to have their challenging moments even in games like they had against the Dolphins. But there are glimmers in them. They can play lights-out on defense at times. They've got so much talent on offense it makes my eyes water. Even the offensive line has moments when they look competent enough. But talk about a team that can't get the gun out of the holster, it's this year's Vikings, at least so far. We barely know if they can shoot straight because so far, they're not even able to point it, much less shoot it. But if they can ever get to the point where they get it out and aim, man, I could see them go all the way. Honestly, they match up against any team out there, AFC or NFC, at least talent-wise. They can probably find a way to break my heart, though. After all, these are the Vikings and I am a Vikings fan. Just as they are capable of finding new and creative ways to lose even when it seems impossible for them to lose, I'm sure they can find a new and creative way to disappoint us all.

This team is more like the 1987 team for me - a team with boundless potential that can surprise to the upside. So I'm going to focus on the positive aspects of the team, hope they can get a head of steam going here, blow up in the playoffs, and shock the world with the first Superbowl win for the Vikings.
That 1987 team....Vikings had very few players cross the picket line and were winless with replacement players. When the real team was on the field, they were good. I was convinced, and put some hard earned money on those New Orleans & San Francisco games. I knew they were going to cover those big spreads with a chance to come away with outright wins...which they did. I didn't see thinks they were going to win as easily as they did, but it was great. The Washington game was a true heartbreaker.
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:44 pm I'm probably taking a break from the board whenever we do lose this year in the playoffs. Because I'm guessing that no matter how we lose, no matter who we lose to, it's going to be Kirk Cousins fault. Last week it got pretty bad on here. I know I was involved in some of it (which I apologize for). I hope this board doesnt get to that point again. We probably arent a SB team this year. Why? We dont really know. We are going to run with teams in the playoffs for sure. But I cant see us running through the playoffs. We'd probably have to beat a combination of Chicago, Rams, Saints or Dallas, Rams Saints. All on the road no less. I kind of figure the next few years will be our shot to really push for it. But I have a feeling it will be an absolute war room on here on that day. I just hope guys can come on here and discuss (and criticize) but not just explode with "Cousins this and Cousins that". If he TRULY has a bad game, that's one thing. But if it's one of those games where a lot went wrong in all areas, I hope this doesnt turn into lets blame it all on Cousins board and how we wasted money. I'd rather not read all that for the upcoming months.
Look, I don't remember anyone ever saying that Cousins stinks, not do I remember anyone laying sole blame on him losing any games. My evaluation of him would be the same no matter they were paying him.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:44 pm I'm probably taking a break from the board whenever we do lose this year in the playoffs. Because I'm guessing that no matter how we lose, no matter who we lose to, it's going to be Kirk Cousins fault. Last week it got pretty bad on here. I know I was involved in some of it (which I apologize for). I hope this board doesnt get to that point again. We probably arent a SB team this year. Why? We dont really know. We are going to run with teams in the playoffs for sure. But I cant see us running through the playoffs. We'd probably have to beat a combination of Chicago, Rams, Saints or Dallas, Rams Saints. All on the road no less. I kind of figure the next few years will be our shot to really push for it. But I have a feeling it will be an absolute war room on here on that day. I just hope guys can come on here and discuss (and criticize) but not just explode with "Cousins this and Cousins that". If he TRULY has a bad game, that's one thing. But if it's one of those games where a lot went wrong in all areas, I hope this doesnt turn into lets blame it all on Cousins board and how we wasted money. I'd rather not read all that for the upcoming months.
I think being critical of the biggest piece added to a 13-3 team, that was supposed be a SB contender, but instead was 9-6-1 and bounced from the playoffs in round one is fair.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:02 pm
Look, I don't remember anyone ever saying that Cousins stinks, not do I remember anyone laying sole blame on him losing any games. My evaluation of him would be the same no matter they were paying him.
Come into the chat on game day....your mind will be blown lol
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:41 pm
I think being critical of the biggest piece added to a 13-3 team, that was supposed be a SB contender, but instead was 9-6-1 and bounced from the playoffs in round one is fair.
I'm starting to think the change in OC was the biggest piece that affected this team. It's not last year anymore. There are different players on both sides of the ball, some of their play has dipped, some has gotten better, there is a different OC with a completely different philosophy, we played a tougher schedule this year, lost our best defensive player mid-season for going psycho off the field, our offensive line got worse, etc. There are way more factors than just Kirk Cousins. Cousins is just as much part of this team as the OC was. And in the end, looks like Flip was holding this team back more than Kirk Cousins or anyone else for that matter.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

In 2009 I refused to believe they had a shot until right before the interception. Up until that point, I assumed they would lose that game, having watched an arguably much better team lose in 98, then another loss a couple of years later. Favre drove them into FG range though, and my hopes were sky high. Then came 12 men in the huddle, then a throw across the body.

After that moment, I have decided to go into every post season believing the team will eventually lose. My hope was almost peaked again in 2015, but then Walsh, exploding knee, and a stupid trade for a bad QB happened.

From now on, until they have 2 minutes to go, and are up 21 in the 4th quarter of the SB, I will always hope for the best, but assume the worst.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:55 pm From now on, until they have 2 minutes to go, and are up 21 in the 4th quarter of the SB, I will always hope for the best, but assume the worst.
Are you kidding me? That's when I'd be the most anxious. If ONLY the Vikings could mess it up, then you might as well bet on it. :lol:
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Texas Vike wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:26 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:55 pm From now on, until they have 2 minutes to go, and are up 21 in the 4th quarter of the SB, I will always hope for the best, but assume the worst.
Are you kidding me? That's when I'd be the most anxious. If ONLY the Vikings could mess it up, then you might as well bet on it. :lol:
They need to have the ball when the other team has no time outs.... And in the victory formation.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:04 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:26 pm

They need to have the ball when the other team has no time outs.... And in the victory formation.
I'd still be looking for a flag and an obscure penalty that has never been called in the league's history that gives the opponent 22 points in one fell swoop. Until I see them raise the Lombardi, I wouldn't let myself believe it. Even then, I'd probably wake up the next morning thinking it was all just a dream. :v):
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Texas Vike wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:08 pm
PurpleMustReign wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:04 pm

I'd still be looking for a flag and an obscure penalty that has never been called in the league's history that gives the opponent 22 points in one fell swoop. Until I see them raise the Lombardi, I wouldn't let myself believe it. Even then, I'd probably wake up the next morning thinking it was all just a dream. :v):
I know... Maybe we need to be up by 40.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:50 pm I'm starting to think the change in OC was the biggest piece that affected this team. It's not last year anymore. There are different players on both sides of the ball, some of their play has dipped, some has gotten better, there is a different OC with a completely different philosophy, we played a tougher schedule this year, lost our best defensive player mid-season for going psycho off the field, our offensive line got worse, etc. There are way more factors than just Kirk Cousins. Cousins is just as much part of this team as the OC was. And in the end, looks like Flip was holding this team back more than Kirk Cousins or anyone else for that matter.
The OC issue has been my take all season, this is followed by the mess at guard. It was there if you paid attention in the early games, but it really was blatant in the game plan vs. Buffalo. JDF not only wasn't doing a good job, he really didn't get the issues he had on the OL and how to take them into account in his Game Plan. The performance against LAR earned him some slack since it was obvious that the defense had it's own problems. However, it became crystal clear when we played the tough stretch in November where the issues were.

I'm not convinced the change came soon enough. There have been other issues and sloppiness that hasn't really been resolved. For this reason I think they are most likely a first round playoff loser. However, it isn't they are not THAT far from being a deep playoff threat. So I'm not counting them out yet.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:54 pm

PHP, I watched all four Super Bowls. Here's my take.

At the time they made them, I was extremely proud of my team and proud to be a fan.

When they lost, it hurt like nothing else.

Now that it's been 4 decades, I remain proud. Our franchise has a tremendous history, and I have no problem bragging about it ... Lombardi trophy or no Lombardi trophy. I realize that probably puts me in the minority, but when I think about all the dominance we had for so long, I'm glad I'm a Vikings fan.

Of course, I want to see a championship before I leave this earth. I want it more than anything in sports. But I'm not going to go around hanging my head because my team hasn't won one. I love the Vikings. Period.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.