Dolphins post game thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

TSonn
Career Elite Player

Re: Dolphins post game thread

Post by TSonn »

For the first time this year we looked like a higher-powered version of our 2017 team out there today. A couple dumb mistakes (pick 6, the 75 yard run, and a few inopportune penalties) but overall really fundamental, solid, and tough to beat. Hopefully that's because of the Flip firing/KS taking over as OC and we can continue this look into a deep playoff run.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Cousins4MVP wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:09 pm I think this game shows just how important coaching and proper game planning is in the NFL, this is the same team and players from the past few weeks that didn't show up on offense that came and played lights out tonight. I think Flip was trying to complicate and overdo things and that's what ultimately lead to his firing. This offense is built to be balanced and spread the field. I think if stefanski can just shake things up a bit while also leaning heavily on the run like he did tonight the Vikings will be fine these last two games.
Agreed good post!
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

TSonn wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:10 pm For the first time this year we looked like a higher-powered version of our 2017 team out there today. A couple dumb mistakes (pick 6, the 75 yard run, and a few inopportune penalties) but overall really fundamental, solid, and tough to beat. Hopefully that's because of the Flip firing/KS taking over as OC and we can continue this look into a deep playoff run.
The offense did look different today, IMO. They ran the ball better. The line seemed to get better push and Dalvin ran hard. His second TD was all him--that spin move was wicked. To me, they looked more like Shurmer's 2017 Vikings. The caveat here, of course, is that MIA is particularly bad on defense against the run. So we'll see how we do in upcoming games running the ball. Seattle lost today, which is good news. I'd like to play the Cowboys in Jerry world. For one, I could go, since it's 20 minutes from my house, but more importantly because I don't think the Cowboys have much of a home field advantage and I think we match up better against them than the Bears. I'm getting ahead of myself, obviously, as we need to take care of our business.
Raz
Veteran

Post by Raz »

Hey Texas vike I think I may have sat by u a couple of years ago when the cardinals were in town.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Random thoughts

Play of the game was Sherels long PR. Vikings O was struggling at the time . If not for that PR into fg range, I could see a 3 and out with the Dolphins having good fp.

Cousins was average today. One really good pass. Made some good decisions, made some poor ones., and one really bad one. Getting so tired of his pick 6 ints. He still panics in situations which is worrisome.

Glad the running game showed up. Although Miami is poor against the run, at least they were able to take advantage of it today. A little too much of Murray I thought.

Defense was outstanding. Alexander has been playing well. Barr had another good game. Front 4 was unblockable. Secondary played well too.

Can we give props to the OL? Have the Vikings ever given up 9 sacks in a game this year? Talk about a bad OL.

Do the Vikings clinch with a win next week?
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

I think someone else mentioned this in another thread, and I agree. Flip knew that he was high on the list of being a head coach in the league. He was being compared to Sean Mcvay types and calling plays like he wanted to elevate his reputation as some sort of high octane passing genius. He complicated the offense, had lots of motion, etc. Today, it was back to basics. Straight away running, straight away blocking. With all the components working around him, Cousins had a solid game. Now as long as they don't become too predictable for other defenses to prepare for, and continue to execute, maybe the Vikings can be a playoff team and not be one and done.
Cousins4MVP
Waterboy

Post by Cousins4MVP »

I think that's exactly the reason we won today and why we had such a good game. I think the way you stay unpredictable is by staying balanced with the playcalling. We also were able to adjust throughout the game to the defense, instead of letting them dictate the offensive gameplan like usual. That also keeps you unpredictable.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

I agree with everything said so far, as cliff mentioned we regained momentum after losing it, thats big and we havent been able to do it all year. One player i feel like should be mentioned more after than game was Barr. Dude looked like a stud out there today and probably would of had 3 sacks if it wasnt for a hold (that was missed)
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

808vikingsfan wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:40 pm Random thoughts

Play of the game was Sherels long PR. Vikings O was struggling at the time . If not for that PR into fg range, I could see a 3 and out with the Dolphins having good fp.

Cousins was average today. One really good pass. Made some good decisions, made some poor ones., and one really bad one. Getting so tired of his pick 6 ints. He still panics in situations which is worrisome.

Glad the running game showed up. Although Miami is poor against the run, at least they were able to take advantage of it today. A little too much of Murray I thought.

Defense was outstanding. Alexander has been playing well. Barr had another good game. Front 4 was unblockable. Secondary played well too.

Can we give props to the OL? Have the Vikings ever given up 9 sacks in a game this year? Talk about a bad OL.

Do the Vikings clinch with a win next week?
They need Philly and I think Washington to lose. Maybe just Washington because the Vikings best Philly... Anyway u think it needs to be more than just a win.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:20 amThey need Philly and I think Washington to lose. Maybe just Washington because the Vikings best Philly... Anyway u think it needs to be more than just a win.
At 7-6-1 the Vikings only have a 1/2 game lead on the Eagles and Redskins (who both sit at 7-7) so the Vikings must need more than a win. The Panthers are 6-7 and play tonight so they're still in the picture too. Dallas (8-6) hasn't clinched the East yet either.

If I'm not mistaken, all of these games next week can influence the NFC wildcard picture:

WAS @ TEN
TEX @ PHI
ATL @ CAR
TB @ DAL
KC @ SEA

... and, of course, MIN @ DET.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Raz wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:56 pm Hey Texas vike I think I may have sat by u a couple of years ago when the cardinals were in town.
Wasn't me! I've never seen the Cardinals live. In fact, the only NFL game I've been to recently is the playoff game vs. the Saints at USB last season. :smilevike:
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Mothman wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:30 am At 7-6-1 the Vikings only have a 1/2 game lead on the Eagles and Redskins (who both sit at 7-7) so the Vikings must need more than a win. The Panthers are 6-7 and play tonight so they're still in the picture too. Dallas (8-6) hasn't clinched the East yet either.

If I'm not mistaken, all of these games next week can influence the NFC wildcard picture:

WAS @ TEN
TEX @ PHI
ATL @ CAR
TB @ DAL
KC @ SEA

So it seems if we win and then TEN and TEX wins we are in? This is assuming the Saints beat the Panthers tonight... maybe playoff picture should be a new thread?
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Mothman wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:30 am
PurpleMustReign wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:20 amThey need Philly and I think Washington to lose. Maybe just Washington because the Vikings best Philly... Anyway u think it needs to be more than just a win.
At 7-6-1 the Vikings only have a 1/2 game lead on the Eagles and Redskins (who both sit at 7-7) so the Vikings must need more than a win. The Panthers are 6-7 and play tonight so they're still in the picture too. Dallas (8-6) hasn't clinched the East yet either.

WAS @ TEN
TEX @ PHI
ATL @ CAR
TB @ DAL
KC @ SEA

Don't forget, the last game of the year the Skins play the Eagles. All the Vikings have to do is have the same number of wins and they take it. That tie counts for half a win. In other words if the Skins, Eagles and Vikings all have 8 wins, the Vikings take it. Hopefully that won't be an issue.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

Per playoffstatus.com there are two ways for the Vikings to clinch the 6th seed by the end of next weekend:
Spot #6

Case 1
Vikings beats the Lions, and
Redskins loses to the Titans, and
Panthers loses to the Falcons, and
Eagles loses or ties to the Texans

Case 2
Vikings beats the Lions, and
Redskins loses to the Titans, and
Panthers loses or ties to the Saints, and
Eagles loses or ties to the Texans
Another option, the Vikings win out. To quote Mike Tice “it all starts with beat [Detroit]*”

*in the actual quote Tice said Baltimore.
Tavern_Wino
Practice Squad

Post by Tavern_Wino »

I want to see the purple earn their entrance into the playoffs if they indeed are going to push to get in. Yesterday's game had to boost some morale and be a confidence builder. As long as they win their next 2 what ever team behind them does means nothing.
Boomer Sooner