So what is Flip thinking now...

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Re: So what is Flip thinking now...

Post by PsyDanny »

Texas Vike wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:05 am Honestly, that's probably what JDF is thinking: "The OL decides to turn in a 'game ball' worthy effort the first game after I'm fired? Thanks guys!"
TexasVike gets it. This thread started on the game day chat, more or less for fun, to make jokes or perhaps serious comments regarding what JDF might actually be thinking now. Not so much about game chat, as there are other threads for that.
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

S197 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:47 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:20 am

Well when you’re running 10-13 times a game with your best RB, it’s tough to go over 100 no matter how well you’re blocking
When 1st down becomes 2nd and 11 it makes running tougher. I do think they needed to stick with the run more and said as much in the Cousins thread but there were also games where the line opened up hardly anything.

I'll believe it if they can have some semblance of symmetry against the Lions and Bears. Until then I'm skeptical.
Do you know how many times that happens to teams where they run on first down and it goes nowhere? They dont abandon the run game because of it. Plays like that are going to happen all the time. Point is, yeah that happened but it happens to every team. Cook had 85 yards on 9 carries vs NE. So he sure wasnt getting stuffed at the line on first down and carried the ball 9 times. Our RBs together are averaging around 4.5 YPC on the season. If they are averaging that, they can run the football and this OL can run block. We're averaging 22.4 attempts per game and are tied for 3rd to last in the NFL. And that was AFTER last game. It was even worse with Flip here. Cousins is only averaging 2.7 YPC so that effects our stat quite a bit. But either way, this OL CAN run block. Are they great at it? No. But neither was Adrian Peterson's offensive line. But when you have RBs that have the talent, there is no reason not to give it to them. Whether they get stuffed on a 1st and 10 or not.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

The joke of the thread is funny. I imagine his thoughts are something along hte lines of "well he was injured for most of my tenure so leave me alone" or "Well again Chicago it wouldn't have worked" or "I was one series away from breaking that SEA defense, how dare the NFL have a clock and quarters to prevent my genius from blossoming!"

From a more serious perspective, I think we need to see them go through Readjustment. Other teams will now have to adjust to DC. The question is, can they continue to cook the Cousins/Thielen/Diggs train at that station while also keeping DC away from the edge.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:53 pmYou may be right.

I still think Zimmer needs to spend more time being the head coach and not just the defensive coach, which means paying attention to offense and special teams. If that means letting his DC call plays, then let Edwards call plays. It happened once a couple of years ago when he had the eye issues, and the world didn't end.
It didn't... in fact, the defense played well and they won the game. It's just one game but Edwards handled it just fine.

We're on the same page about the need for Zimmer to spend more time being the head coach and not just the defensive coach.
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

One thing that still needs to happen is they need to get the Tight Ends involved more in the pass game.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:17 pm One thing that still needs to happen is they need to get the Tight Ends involved more in the pass game.
They hit Conklin (aka Glenn Danzig) several times Sunday, and Rudy too, but I agree that there's room for increasing their pass catching role and it would help disguise their presence too--meaning, it wouldn't be a tell of a running play when we have more than just Rudy in.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Only thing is, they really need the TE to help blocking because of how bad the Oline is. It makes them have to pick there spots when sending a TE out on a route. The good news is that it looks like the Vikings have 3 viable TE options who can catch the football. In a play action offense, that's huge. I'm very happy to have David Morgan back.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:49 am
S197 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:47 am

When 1st down becomes 2nd and 11 it makes running tougher. I do think they needed to stick with the run more and said as much in the Cousins thread but there were also games where the line opened up hardly anything.

I'll believe it if they can have some semblance of symmetry against the Lions and Bears. Until then I'm skeptical.
Do you know how many times that happens to teams where they run on first down and it goes nowhere? They dont abandon the run game because of it. Plays like that are going to happen all the time. Point is, yeah that happened but it happens to every team. Cook had 85 yards on 9 carries vs NE. So he sure wasnt getting stuffed at the line on first down and carried the ball 9 times. Our RBs together are averaging around 4.5 YPC on the season. If they are averaging that, they can run the football and this OL can run block. We're averaging 22.4 attempts per game and are tied for 3rd to last in the NFL. And that was AFTER last game. It was even worse with Flip here. Cousins is only averaging 2.7 YPC so that effects our stat quite a bit. But either way, this OL CAN run block. Are they great at it? No. But neither was Adrian Peterson's offensive line. But when you have RBs that have the talent, there is no reason not to give it to them. Whether they get stuffed on a 1st and 10 or not.
NE was a game where they were running well and should have stuck with it but it wasn't really the norm for the season. Take Chicago for example. Opening drive it's 2nd and 2 and Cook gets a yard. On 3rd and 1, Murray gets negative yards. Drive two gets into the redzone then another negative run then Cook fumbles. And even if he doesn't he was stuffed at the line. 3rd drive is a 3 and out with a 1 yard run on 2nd down....

Then they ramp up the passing. But they go back to the run after haltime and Cook gets -1 and -1 between some Cousins passes that moved the chains.

I just see the Dolphins as another Arizona. I hope I'm wrong, I guess we'll see but this line hasn't been able to consistently open holes especially in the redzone.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

S197 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:09 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:49 am

NE was a game where they were running well and should have stuck with it but it wasn't really the norm for the season. Take Chicago for example. Opening drive it's 2nd and 2 and Cook gets a yard. On 3rd and 1, Murray gets negative yards. Drive two gets into the redzone then another negative run then Cook fumbles. And even if he doesn't he was stuffed at the line. 3rd drive is a 3 and out with a 1 yard run on 2nd down....

Then they ramp up the passing. But they go back to the run after haltime and Cook gets -1 and -1 between some Cousins passes that moved the chains.

I just see the Dolphins as another Arizona. I hope I'm wrong, I guess we'll see but this line hasn't been able to consistently open holes especially in the redzone.
A lot of that was based on predictable playcalling. I've been saying for weeks that I was sitting in front of my TV saying here comes a run or here comes a pass in certain situations. It was so obvious. Seattle and NE are two middle of the road run defenses and we were moving the ball with our RBs. But we never stuck with it. And there was no reason not to. It doesnt matter what the "norm" was. You play to win the game!! Not stick to the "norm".
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri