Packers post game thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Re: Packers post game thread

Post by halfgiz »

Last 7 games against the packers we are 5-1-1...Not bad.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

halfgiz wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:51 am Last 7 games against the packers we are 5-1-1...Not bad.
Yeah ... seems like Zimmer really has their number. Since the defense is basically built to defend Rodgers' game as well as to adapt to the "passing league" in general (lots of high round DBs). It's nice to see it's paid off to some degree.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Texas Vike wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:59 am
Mothman wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:52 am

Well, last night I think it was a bad hold on the first kick and the fact that the second attempt was from 56 yards away (if I remember correctly). A kick that long is far from automatic.
I'm guessing I'm not the only one who knew Bailey would miss from 56, after having just made it from 51 only to have a BS penalty called on us, when GB jumped first... I couldn't even watch straight on, I had to look down and glance up just to see if my fears were confirmed.

Did anyone notice whether Barr's presence made ANY difference? I personally did not notice anything better or worse with him back.
FWIW, I felt that the first miss was more on the holder than Bailey. The 56 was a crap shoot given the distance. (I agree on the awful officiating surrounding that kick.) They were talking on the radio today about the possibility of Priefer getting canned. I think that is about two seasons overdue to be honest. I know the coverage and return units are very well coached and very well designed, but there is an obvious issue with the kickers in MN. We've been having this drama for basically 5+ seasons across what, 4 or 5 kickers? That is well past the point where you make the point that if it is every kicker, then the issue might with MGMT.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
StpViking
Starter

Post by StpViking »

Fun game to watch. Cousins finally using his feet to keep plays alive, still sits in the pocket too much, but better than the Bears game.

Packers are no longer the team they once were, so the rivalry is not that great. I'm more nervous about the next 2 road games. @ Pats and Seahawks. Ouch.
White 8DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee! Waz Up!
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

Always great to beat the Packers but a couple things to knit-pick on if we want to make the playoffs/make a run:

Play calling is so, so bad. We have so many weapons. I'm not saying we need to throw the ball down field every time, but take advantage of Diggs/Thielen/Rudolph more...crossing patterns or whatever. I hate 2nd and inches with QB sneak. That is the perfect time to take a shot down the field. I like Murray more in the 2nd half, especially 4th quarter, when the other defense if wearing down. We need to give Cook heavy workload in 1st half and balance out the second half.

We will need to play better against NE-can't wait for this game and a chance to knock around Brady!

If Rhodes is done for year, do we sign someone? Who's available?
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

cmoss84 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:07 pm Always great to beat the Packers but a couple things to knit-pick on if we want to make the playoffs/make a run:

Play calling is so, so bad. We have so many weapons. I'm not saying we need to throw the ball down field every time, but take advantage of Diggs/Thielen/Rudolph more...crossing patterns or whatever. I hate 2nd and inches with QB sneak. That is the perfect time to take a shot down the field. I like Murray more in the 2nd half, especially 4th quarter, when the other defense if wearing down. We need to give Cook heavy workload in 1st half and balance out the second half.

We will need to play better against NE-can't wait for this game and a chance to knock around Brady!

At this point, have Terrance Newman come back. He did say when he was hired as a coach that if we ever needed him he would come back. He knows the D like the back of his hand and he will ask for next to nothing money wise. I can guarantee he will play as well or probably better than any FA out there.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:20 pm
cmoss84 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:07 pm Always great to beat the Packers but a couple things to knit-pick on if we want to make the playoffs/make a run:

At this point, have Terrance Newman come back. He did say when he was hired as a coach that if we ever needed him he would come back. He knows the D like the back of his hand and he will ask for next to nothing money wise. I can guarantee he will play as well or probably better than any FA out there.
Good thinking. I wonder if he's kept in game shape.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

A couple of comments:

- Vikes looked flat in the first half, especially on defense. Both areas picked up after halftime, especially the defensive pass rush and the offensive run game.
- Surprised the Vikings weren't more aggressive down the field in the passing game. Packers have a good pass rush, but Cousins generally had time and I felt like there should have been more deep opportunities. Maybe the Packers played very conservatively with their safeties and Cousins didn't want to take too many deep shots because he didn't feel they were there.
- Someone posted on the gameday chat (YikesVikes?) that the Vikings should be using Cook to get outside on runs and Murray to gash defenses on inside runs. I agree with this. I know running Cook inside might be more of a surprise, but Murray is the better choice for the inside runs as he has good vision, makes solid cutbacks, and is just a bigger runner. Cook's superlative speed and moves makes him more effective in space. I'd like to see this adjusted as I see glimmers of hope the run game will start to improve.
- Losing Rhodes hurts. No way around that. Hill is decent, but he's going to get tested by the likes of Brady and Wilson. A lot.
- Still not super impressed with the interior run defense. I felt the Bears just smashed forward and picked up 5+ a pop, and the Packers did the same on a few drives. Not sure what the interior of the defensive line and the linebackers are doing in those situations, but I'd like to see that get shored up.
- The Packers did an amazing amount of stupid things in this game. They really shot themselves in the foot (going for it on 4th down on their side of the 50 when there was plenty of time left, the punt returner not fielding the punt, but standing near the bounce where it could easily touch him and become a live ball, etc.) I felt like the Vikes dominated play in the 2nd half, but if Rodgers connects with Adams over Hill late its a different game. I still feel like the Vikings are not playing prepared, cohesive team football for large segments of games. The talent is there, and when they finally get it together, you can see the potential in the team. I just wish that would show up for an entire game.
- Hats off to Cousins, Diggs, Thielen, Cook, Rudolph, and Murray. Man, when the Vikings offensive skill players are playing well, it is super fun to watch the offense. Some really amazing work by every one of those guys last night.

Next 2 games are critical if the Vikes want any chance of catching the Bears. I would like nothing more than to finally see a complete team effort from the Vikes and for them to crush both the Pats and Seahawks. I'm not terribly optimistic that will happen, but at the same time, I think this is where they can grab the season by the throat and make a statement heading into the stretch run if they really want to.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Newman is Ineligible to come back.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Beating GB is always great, especially when you more or less knock them out of the playoff picture.

That being said, I'm afraid this OL is not going to be good enough to win the games we'll need to win to get to the post season. The redzone offense is still really poor as it's near impossible to run the ball inside the 20. The Vikings were able to score from distance but they still squandered great field position multiple times coming away with no points. That can work against a depleted GB defense but isn't going to get it done against better opponents.

Then there's the kicking game which has left a ridiculous amount of points on the board. And I don't really see that changing much so long as Priefer is here. He's not kicking the ball but he's the only constant in a carousel of kickers that can't get it done.

Seattle is looking like the key game right now with both teams very much in the wild card hunt.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

halfgiz wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:10 pm

How? He mentioned it in his presser he would consider coming back if something happened or if we needed him
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
UKno1VIKING
Transition Player

Post by UKno1VIKING »

First of all....PHEW!
That was a win or bust game, and for the most of it, we looked the better team of the two. Scoreline probably flatters the Pack a bit.
We roll onto New England with our playoff hopes still in tact.
Great seeing Cook getting some room finally. I know some fans were doubting the mans talent. I think from how he finished that screen pass, most people can see that he's got some special stuff inside of him.
Cousins maybe got away with a couple, but for the most of it, he had a very good game. Nice to see him tuck and run a bit too. It gives opposition Defenses, something else to think about.
D after the first quarter, was very good again. Lets make no mistake about our identity. Our identity and our success runs through this D. However, the Offence complements it a lot better these days though.

The cons.
The main one, again is the O-line. It's got to a point now, that when were 3rd and short and Flip lines them up in a run formation, that Wile is already doing his high kick warm ups on the sideline. This line gets zero push. And is the reason our rush game is so pathetic. We have two very good HB's, and they are getting zero help.
If O'Neill misses the Pats game due to that concussion, i worry for the safety of Cousins. Having Remmers and Hill on the same side of the line is a scary thought.
The lines pass protection was ok, but having said that, the Packers were missing Mike Daniels. It seems to me, that the lines inability to get any push, is mainly down to size. They aren't the biggest line in the world, and outside of O'Neill and Elflien, they don't have the mobility to back the size difference up.
The injuries. Zimmer in his presser has suggested that Rhodes' injury is minor. Which would be a big relief. But we'll wait and see.
I was always under the impression that Rhodes tends to get "cramp" "pulls", every time he got beat on a big play. But seeing him hobble off had me fearing the worst. O'Neill missing games would be very costly too (as mentioned above).
Stupid and sloppy penalties nearly cost us again. This has become a worrying trend

For us to make, and be successful in the playoffs, it all depends on the O-line for me. The D is peaking just at the right time, and i have no worries regarding our passing game. But when you're a defense oriented team, you need an offense with a strong run game to chew up clock, and keep the defense on the sideline. If i see us lose ground on a 3rd and short again, the remote might go through the TV.
If the O-line lets our play makers play, then i think we have real shot of beating anyone.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:54 pm
halfgiz wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:10 pm

How? He mentioned it in his presser he would consider coming back if something happened or if we needed him
That's because he didn't understand the rules.

According to an article on ESPN.com ...
Newman said he "wouldn’t have a choice" but to return to life as a player should injuries in the secondary call for it this season, but NFL rules don’t allow participation by club employees, unless that person is either signed to an NFL player contract for the current season or counted within the active list at the time of the roster reduction to 53 players. If such person is terminated via waivers or terminated unilaterally, or placed on the reserve list, after the roster reduction to 53 players, he cannot return to any club as a player in the same season.
Basically, he's ineligible to play this season.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I want to add one more thing. I've been thinking a bit about the last drive of the game and at first I wasn't sure I liked that passing play that ultimately won the game. However, after more time to chew on it, I think DeFelippo deserves a ton of credit for calling that play on to close the game. Conventional Football is to run it there and then punt, giving the ball back to Rogers with about a minute and change left. The Vikings, to their credit, know that Rogers is not a QB who you leave with 60 seconds. Also, I think they recognized that their strength on offense isn't short yardage rushing, especially in an obvious rushing situation. Instead they put the game in their best offensive players' hands and made a play to seal the victory. Hats off to them for making the right call when it really mattered.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Unfortunately I don't feel like we match up well against Seattle and that game will determine the season imo. I watched them play GB last night and they had like 5 sacks on Erin. Imagine how many they get on Cousins... Only way we win that is if they play great defense.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.